Maxima to a TL my story and comparaisons

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 11:01 AM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maxima to a TL my story and comparaisons

Hi,

I'm new to the forum...I've actually never wrote in a forum before. I guess there's a first time for everything.

I recently purchase an '03 metallic blue on tan interior TL type S, I've always loved that car ever since it came out in '99 and I was in college it was my dream car but when it came to buying (leasing) my first new car back in '02 I had a hard getting a good deal on a regular TL because the apr was high.

Although I had wished for a Type S I didn't like the payments but I would of still settled for a regular model. Meanwhile I continued shopping and I found an interesting compromise the 03 Maxima, the TL had an impressive number of features I could'nt live without, HID lights, 6 CD changer, decent power, memory seats, sunroof basically all the works.

And I guess the guys at Nissan notice that and added all these features including 17" rims and a 255HP engine and it came out about 100$/month cheaper then the regular TL and much cheaper then the Type-S which has more of the same feaures. A whole lot of bang for the buck. I was really impress with the power and the look wasn't has classic as the TL but it was still very nice.

Unfortunately I had many small issues but everything was under warranty it was just a nag having to got to the dealership so often for accessories

1. Replace CD Changer 2 times and the third one still wasnt working properly
2. The driver seat motor failed had to replace
3. back of the driver seat fell off
4. the auto window up wasnt working

although mecanically everything was A1, I expected better from a car worth 40k CND same price as the Ac...it left me a little bitter but loved driving the car it was so light on it's feet...alot of torque steer but very fun to drive.

Nevertheless we're now in '06 and my lease on the Max was up and I decided to lower my car payments and hit the used car market. It was between the TL and the G35 and I went for the TL much cheaper 2-3k.

Here are my first observations after a few weeks.

Comfort: Acura TL-S is the winner
the sport seats offer more comfort but there's less room in the
back seats.

Features and Gadgets: Maxima hands down
Heated steering wheel I live in Montreal, Canada and I use it from November to march. Much better controls of the sunroof. Auto up on both driver and passenger windows. Stereo controls on the Acura are almost inexistent but on the Max you can change input (AM,FM1,FM2,CD), you can switch songs and CD's. Bring the windows down with the keyfob. Curtesy lights: shows you the pathway to your home at night and shuts down after 30 secs. Night light open automatically I never and shut off automatically also. Max has CD text...i'm not sure TL has it, if so please tell me how to activate.

Overall quality craftmanship: Acura TL-S is the winner
The interior is much more refined simplistic but it works out really well
leather is superior to that of the maxima. The car also seems very solid it's like the
body is more rigid and less prone to damage from minor bumps.

Driving: Acura TL-S is the winner
Both of the cars a very fun to drive minus the torque steer of the Max which can even be dangerous at times. I like driving the Acura because I feel in better control of the car and with the bad roads in montreal I dont feel like the cars is gonna break in half like with Maxima but I feel that the TL-S is slower and I'm pretty sure it is...I think its because the TL is heavier.

My first car was a honda accord '91 and I like it and it was very reliable and I'm very confident on the quality of Honda products I think they are superior to Nissan I can't really compare to the Infiniti's but for now Honda has the edge.

In conclusion even dough I have less gadgets I've become accomodated to it and I really like the car...and I've already started to mod...got a wood shift knob, looks amazing.

Tell me what you think about what I had to say...
I will post some picks soon, after I'm finish with a minor paint job on the hood

I'm out like my '03 Max.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:28 AM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the very interesting comparision. I just bought a used 1999 TL and I love it.

When I was car shopping I also considered a used 2000 Maxima. The availablilty of a manual transmission really appealed to me. I've been driving manual transmissions forever and I like the improved sense of control.

Bob
Old 07-25-2006, 11:30 AM
Registered Abuser

I too hate the fact that the sunroof is not one touch,,,,and the steering wheel controls do suck in the TL....other than that it is a great car.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:41 AM
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
I've also went from a Max to a TL.

I wanted to get out of my Mustang GT back in 03 and I was down to the 03 TL-S, the 03 G35 Sedan and the 04 Nissan Maxima, and the 04 Grand Prix. The Grand Prix was out the race first, then I eliminated the TL-s (don't ask me why ). So it was down the G35 and the 04. I decided on the Maxima, because IMO the 04 Maxima looked a lot better than the G-Sedan out the outside and on the inside (save a few cheap touches).

I really loved the car at first. Very powerful, nice stereo system, nice leather seas. Great looking factory rims and the 4 tail pipes coming out of the back made the car look mean. It wasn't very long though before I realized that I probably should have gone with the G35-Sedan or the 03-TL-S. The Torque steer like you experiences was VERY noticable in the Maxima. As much as I loved the 265 HP/255 Torque from the Engine it was not very fun to drive due to all the torque steer, the car felt very heavy as well. After about 15 months in the Maxima, I had enough and sold the car in the paper.

A few months later I was down to the 04 G35 Sedan and the 05 Acura TL. I went with the TL and have not gotten tired of the car yet.

Comparisons. 04 Maxima 5AT (non-Navi) vs. 05 TL 6MT (Navi)

Comfort. Honestly this is pretty even and I dare say the Maxima has the slight edge here., The Maxima's leather seats are very comfortable and they seem a bit more plush the the TL's. Both have seat heaters, but if I remember correctly the Maxima heated the seat bottom and the seat back. The TL only heats the seat bottom.

Features and Gadgets. If it wasn't for the Navi and bluetooth on the TL, this would go to the Maxima. The Maxima had electronic folding mirrors (although pretty pointless) and an electronic tilt and telescoping steering wheel. The TL's big pluses are the bluetooth and voice activated/touch screen Navi. Eventhough I don't have CD's that support DVD-A, this is still something the TL had over the Max. The interior lighting is much better in the TL. The Maxima has a bit more interior space than the TL with a bigger trunk and the rear seats fold down. With that being said I'll still give the edge to the TL.

Craftmanship. As far as have issues with the car I never had any with the Maxima, but the TL had a warranty repair (bad axle) and a recall repair (temp showing "---"). However the TL still feels more solidly built than the Maxima. One thing I hated about the Maxima was the ugly carpet strip running across the dash to all of the doors. The aluminum around the shifter looked very cheap and plasticy. The front grill on the Maxima was not too bad to me, but it could have looked better. The TL has a better built interior, but I must admit that the dash board sees kind of cheap as it is developing some white marks all over it. This category is even.

Driving: TL is the clear winner. As I had said before the Torque steer in the Maxima was just terrible and that was on an automatic! My TL is a 6-speed and it still has LESS torque steer than the Automatic Maxima. The only time I really feel the torque steer in the TL is if im accelerating hard from a stop and turning at the same time. If I floor it while going straight; no torque steer in the TL. The Maxima it didn't matter, straight line or turning, the torque steer was always there. The TL feels more nimble, and a lot lighter than the Maxima. This is eventhough they have around the same weight. The TL also handles a lot better.

Eventhough its close in nearly every category and while I like how a car looks on the inside and outside, driving is ultimately the most important. It has to be powerful, and fun to drive. The Maxima only has one of those two things, while the TL has both.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:41 AM
Kilos of yayo in

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah I don't know Nissans are nice but I have never been partial to them. Welcome to the club man I love my TL-S! Does the VSA help out in the snow? I know it has saved my butt a few times in the rain!
Old 07-25-2006, 11:55 AM
Just chillen..

Heard that the warranty suxs on Nissan.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:59 AM
Sig Rho's Finest

i gotta get rid of my tl very soon, its on its last leg. good luck with your man, welcome to the forum. this place has the greatest car minds on the internet and get ready to open your wallet for those mods cus they come quick and easy!
Old 07-25-2006, 12:00 PM
Just chillen..

Originally Posted by NYZGREATST
i gotta get rid of my tl very soon, its on its last leg. good luck with your man, welcome to the forum. this place has the greatest car minds on the internet and get ready to open your wallet for those mods cus they come quick and easy!
Why? What you upgrading too?
Old 07-25-2006, 12:20 PM
checkmate...

Welcome knowell! I didn't know Canadian blue Type-S's came with tan interior. Let's see the pics.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:26 PM
8th Gear

Thanks for the warm welcome.

One nice feature the TL as got on the Max go figure...the max didn't have heated mirrors.

I got some new tires today Hankook H405, suppose to be very good for the price the car handles even better.

I also have the Volvo SUV XC90 it's our familly car my wife usually drives it. I'm more of a sedan guy but I hate minivans with a passion so we got a fair size 7 seater. My wife loves it, I find it under powered but it's straight up lux. We might consider purchasing one after the lease is over or a MDX with the new redesigned model coming out soon the price on the previous generation is bound to drop. Any of you guys have an SUV for a girlfriend and the TL as a wifey? Sometimes I just feel like driving something more imposing.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
i also went from a maxima to a TL, but mine was an older model maxima, to a 2001 TL. I got the TL my sophomore year of college when i found out i got accepted into pharmacy school, i was looking at getting a newer maxima (03), a avalanche (03) and a 2001 TL, the TL was the cheapest, b/c i got a deal i couldn't refuse, but for a while i regretted not getting the avalanche so now i have one, lol i have a 06 avalanche and still have my TL, and i love the way the avalanche drives, has everything my TL has and more, seats that are power and can be adjusted in a million different ways, XM radio, one touch sunroof, a folding midgate, rides smooth and besides the gas prices it's great on long trips
Old 07-25-2006, 10:21 PM
99 SSM Tl

Originally Posted by knowell
Thanks for the warm welcome.
I got some new tires today Hankook H405, suppose to be very good for the price the car handles even better.
Hello, im from quebec too (st-jean).. i had hankook H405 tires last summer on my 18in rims.. they last long but they are not that sticky .. better than the michelin for sure .. if you drive it easy your ok .. remember that H405 are H tires rated for 210km/h .. my choice would be Hankook K104 i also had toyo t1s on my typeS wheels.. they where like glue on the road.. but didnt last as long as the h405.. hope you will enjoy the car, feel free to pm me if you need some informations
Old 07-26-2006, 12:09 AM
In 702, 808 in Dreams

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The TL-S is one of the best cars i owned. Welcome to the forums and you will not be sorry for the TL-S. even though the tranny does have that defect it handles up pretty well. as long as the jet kit is installed and you properly maintain it i think it should last pretty long. Plus its warrentied up to 100k. so thats a good thing. I went from a 87 Integra with a b16 swap (still have) to a 91 Honda CRX HF to my TL. so i made a big jump. from a 100hp or less CRX to a 260hp V6 Lux TL-S. I was up between a 03 Sedan G35 with a full crap load of mods, i believe it has the Tein SS Coilovers, injen intake, 20in 5-zigen galux wheels, black on black. for about $25gs but it was gone when i went. the TL-S i saw was at the same lot and i knew that would be my back up. now i have no turn backs. i just love honda. cant get away from it. have fun with your TL man. you will not be dissatisfied.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:21 AM
8th Gear

my choice would be Hankook K104 i also had toyo t1s on my typeS wheels.. they where like glue on the road.. but didnt last as long as the h405.. hope you will enjoy the car, feel free to pm me if you need some informations
Funny thing I hate tires that don't last long my XC90 has the stock Pirellis on it and I have 25K miles on it and the tires are completely finish. In all fairness I drove it all year long I have no winter tires but 25k on an SUV my wife was mostly driving and I really don't drive it agressively...the tank is wallet sensitive if you hit the gas to hard...wooop there goes 10bucks. That being said the Toyo winter tires that I had on the Maxima that will also fit on the Ac(mouhahahah), I've had them for 3 winters and there still brand spanking new. I'm gonna buy some Toyo's for the truck I dont want to have to purchase anymore tires for the duration of the lease... but the deal I had on the hankook was to sweet to pass up 122$/tire.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:13 PM
Burning Brakes

i bought good year assurance triple tread, they have a 80k mile warranty one them, and they are single directional so they look a little aggressive, i couldn't pass up these for only like $104 a tire, plus i bought them from Sam's club, so if i get a flat they fix it free, and balance it and rotate whenever i want to bring it in...... so hopefully nothing happens to these tires, and i won't have to buy a new set for as long as i own the car, b/c my next car will be an infiniti m35 sport
Old 07-27-2006, 07:46 AM
8th Gear

plus i bought them from Sam's club, so if i get a flat they fix it free, and balance it and rotate whenever i want to bring it in
Want to hear one better when you're a costco customer it doesn't matter if you bought your tires there they'll rotate and fix flats for free...I actually had 3 sets of tires rotated this year and they fix a flat for me...that only more then convers the membership.

b/c my next car will be an infiniti m35 sport
I hadn't considered the M for my next car but you have a solid point there, a slightly used one will be a bargain in a few years. That or a lexus GS...but the lexus's really retain there value even the it might be too expensive
Old 07-27-2006, 07:07 PM
Intermediate

According to this comparison, the Nissan Maxima should lose to the TL Type S in terms of speed....

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articl...luxcomparo.htm

Hi,

I'm new to the forum...I've actually never wrote in a forum before. I guess there's a first time for everything.

I recently purchase an '03 metallic blue on tan interior TL type S, I've always loved that car ever since it came out in '99 and I was in college it was my dream car but when it came to buying (leasing) my first new car back in '02 I had a hard getting a good deal on a regular TL because the apr was high.

Although I had wished for a Type S I didn't like the payments but I would of still settled for a regular model. Meanwhile I continued shopping and I found an interesting compromise the 03 Maxima, the TL had an impressive number of features I could'nt live without, HID lights, 6 CD changer, decent power, memory seats, sunroof basically all the works.

And I guess the guys at Nissan notice that and added all these features including 17" rims and a 255HP engine and it came out about 100$/month cheaper then the regular TL and much cheaper then the Type-S which has more of the same feaures. A whole lot of bang for the buck. I was really impress with the power and the look wasn't has classic as the TL but it was still very nice.

Unfortunately I had many small issues but everything was under warranty it was just a nag having to got to the dealership so often for accessories

1. Replace CD Changer 2 times and the third one still wasnt working properly
2. The driver seat motor failed had to replace
3. back of the driver seat fell off
4. the auto window up wasnt working

although mecanically everything was A1, I expected better from a car worth 40k CND same price as the Ac...it left me a little bitter but loved driving the car it was so light on it's feet...alot of torque steer but very fun to drive.

Nevertheless we're now in '06 and my lease on the Max was up and I decided to lower my car payments and hit the used car market. It was between the TL and the G35 and I went for the TL much cheaper 2-3k.

Here are my first observations after a few weeks.

Comfort: Acura TL-S is the winner
the sport seats offer more comfort but there's less room in the
back seats.

Features and Gadgets: Maxima hands down
Heated steering wheel I live in Montreal, Canada and I use it from November to march. Much better controls of the sunroof. Auto up on both driver and passenger windows. Stereo controls on the Acura are almost inexistent but on the Max you can change input (AM,FM1,FM2,CD), you can switch songs and CD's. Bring the windows down with the keyfob. Curtesy lights: shows you the pathway to your home at night and shuts down after 30 secs. Night light open automatically I never and shut off automatically also. Max has CD text...i'm not sure TL has it, if so please tell me how to activate.

Overall quality craftmanship: Acura TL-S is the winner
The interior is much more refined simplistic but it works out really well
leather is superior to that of the maxima. The car also seems very solid it's like the
body is more rigid and less prone to damage from minor bumps.

Driving: Acura TL-S is the winner
Both of the cars a very fun to drive minus the torque steer of the Max which can even be dangerous at times. I like driving the Acura because I feel in better control of the car and with the bad roads in montreal I dont feel like the cars is gonna break in half like with Maxima but I feel that the TL-S is slower and I'm pretty sure it is...I think its because the TL is heavier.

My first car was a honda accord '91 and I like it and it was very reliable and I'm very confident on the quality of Honda products I think they are superior to Nissan I can't really compare to the Infiniti's but for now Honda has the edge.

In conclusion even dough I have less gadgets I've become accomodated to it and I really like the car...and I've already started to mod...got a wood shift knob, looks amazing.

Tell me what you think about what I had to say...
I will post some picks soon, after I'm finish with a minor paint job on the hood

I'm out like my '03 Max.
Old 07-27-2006, 07:53 PM
8th Gear

According to this comparison, the Nissan Maxima should lose to the TL Type S in terms of speed....
Man, it may be true but the car is so much lighter on it's feet I drove the it for 4 years and I can definitely feel the difference. If i'm not mistaken the Max is about 500lbs lighter then the Ac and has more torque...just from the feel alone I would be very surprise if i'm wrong. My comparaison is base on Auto vs Auto

I guess somebody correct me if I'm wrong...again I've test drove the G35 and the 3rd gen TL and the G seems faster.
Old 07-27-2006, 08:03 PM
Intermediate

It is the torque you feel, that push you back in your seat which the TL does not have. My buddies LS V8 back in 01' was left at the light by a CL-S which was another friend of mine. I have no dobt the Max is quick and I know it may pull a TL off the line, but the TL is by no means SLOW!! That was just an article I found~PEACE!

Man, it may be true but the car is so much lighter on it's feet I drove the it for 4 years and I can definitely feel the difference. If i'm not mistaken the Max is about 500lbs lighter then the Ac and has more torque...just from the feel alone I would be very surprise if i'm wrong. My comparaison is base on Auto vs Auto

I guess somebody correct me if I'm wrong...again I've test drove the G35 and the 3rd gen TL and the G seems faster.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Want to hear one better when you're a costco customer it doesn't matter if you bought your tires there they'll rotate and fix flats for free...I actually had 3 sets of tires rotated this year and they fix a flat for me...that only more then convers the membership.

I hadn't considered the M for my next car but you have a solid point there, a slightly used one will be a bargain in a few years. That or a lexus GS...but the lexus's really retain there value even the it might be too expensive

i wasn't worried about how much it costs used, b/c i want to have a new m35, i'm tired of buying used cars, so far i had a used maxima, a used tl, and a used honda accord, when i got my first new car (avalanche) it felt soo great being the only person driving the car, not worrying if the maintainence has been taken care of and what not, b/c my maxima had brake problems, my TL only gave me problems with the tranny, one oil leak of the main rear seal which i'm not sure how it happened, and some switches had to get replaced, overall it's a nice car, i never really did like american, but the chevy hasn't had a problem yet, (been having it since late october 2005)
Old 07-29-2006, 02:51 AM
Instructor

[QUOTE=knowell]Want to hear one better when you're a costco customer it doesn't matter if you bought your tires there they'll rotate and fix flats for free...I actually had 3 sets of tires rotated this year and they fix a flat for me...that only more then convers the membership.

^^^ In regards to non-Costco Tire purchases, at Costco, in the So Cal area as of August 2004/2005, Costco stopped performing repairs/services on non-costco tires in order to better service their customers.