Maintenance Required Indicator

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 09:06 AM
There's no Acura in

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Maintenance Required Indicator

I jut got an '02 TL. Used to have a Chevy Malibu.

When I start the car, the maint req. indicator blinks a couple times then goes off. I went through the manual & it says it'll blink for the first 6k miles; I also read how to clear it (or reset it).

My question, what maintenance is actually required? Would this thing come on just for an oil change or something like an all-around tuneup? How can I find out what the car wants me to do? Car has about 112k miles.

Thanks.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:42 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
Its just a miles based reminder for oil change due
Starts to blink about 6000 miles SINCE last reset--blinks when you start the car up-
When you change the oil - reset it. Oil change places dont know how- or whoever last changed the oil on it before sale

Welcome to the forum- everything you could ever want to know is found here, every way to spend money on the car, and every way to make it better for free or low dollars~

Kudos for reading the owner book- about 95% of the question are answered in it.
register with acura as new owner 1-800-382-2238 x5 ask if any recalls or extended warranty in effect-
the transmission is 7 year plus 9 month (ask for the first date of service on the car- thats the day warranty started counting)- seatbelts- SRS sensors (10 years)
those I know of...
and reg here too http://owners.acura.com/registration...erstepone.aspx
Need VIN number handy for both the registrations
the acura.com has a place to secure store the radio and nav security codes so they dont get lost- can record maitenance as you do it- stores on their system

Read Seafoam DIY- makes car run like new

Last edited by 01tl4tl; 09-11-2008 at 10:46 AM.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:45 AM
Team Owner

112k miles- its likely the car was sold and the 105k mile service was NOT done
Its 800-1200 dollars- water pump timing belt tune up parts etc
Not many people drop cash like that, and then sell the car- they would tell you about that service being done and raise the price~
Old 09-11-2008, 10:56 PM
There's no Acura in

Thanks alot for the info...I pretty much bought this car and now it's like "what next" cause I feel if it runs this good @ 112k miles, the previous owner kept it in good shape. The car I had was a Chevy with only 10k more miles and that thing was in horrible condition (mechanically). That's why I was wary of buying a car with >100k miles in the first place but this TL runs pretty good (only gripe I have is with the transmission shifting). I acquired it from a dealer if that means anything.

I was also about to ask a similar question about the 'side airbag off' lamp blinking but after going through the manual it seems that it blinks if someone isn't sitting right & impede the deployment path of the side airbags. Though I didn't have anyone sitting there I did have my bookbag on the seat which probably explains it.

I'm actually looking at the 105k mile service description in the manual right now...damn that's a lotta stuff, but I'm not gonna risk it since the car is only 2 weeks old (to me).

Thanks for the welcome.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:12 PM
There's no Acura in

Since I can't edit....

You mention a 7 year warranty for the transmission? Does it apply to me since I bought the car used? This is the first car I've ever bought from a dealer and was sold as-is with no warranty.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:43 AM
Sippy Cup (x2)

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
The light just indicates mileage...I believe it comes on every 7500 miles. So it doesn't necessarily indicate anything needs to be done. The oil could have been changed 100 miles ago, but if indicator was not reset, it would still come on. There are some members here that have had the same timing belt for over 150k miles and no problems. I had mine changed at 104 and it looked almost new, not very many visible cracks at all. But it's your call, if it goes, that's the end of the engine.

Anyway, good luck with the car. I love mine, except for right now since I'm having issues with my nav.

Welcome to the forum.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:49 AM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by newperson
Since I can't edit....

You mention a 7 year warranty for the transmission? Does it apply to me since I bought the car used? This is the first car I've ever bought from a dealer and was sold as-is with no warranty.
There's a 7 year 9 month / 109,000 mile extended warranty on the transmission that covers all 1999-2002 TLs and some 2003 TLs.

Unfortunately, every 1999 TL sold has already hit the 7 year 9 month limit. (Acura will sometimes offer "goodwill" coverage for out-of-warranty repairs.)
Old 09-12-2008, 12:04 PM
There's no Acura in

Thanks snowman81 & Bob_F for the info as well. But aren't warranties usually time vs. mileage, whichever comes first? Car's already 3k over 109k.

The first date of inspection I see is @ mile 10 ("Predelivery inspection") which was on September 8, 2001. The next record I see is @ mile 23,000 on September 23, 2002. The transmission was replaced @ mile 65,500 on March 3, 2005. Am I still covered?

I'm sorry if I'm asking too much or if it's just not clear to me, but I've never messed with warranties. And I've always thought that if it's not new, it's not warranted.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:13 PM
There's no Acura in

Edit: actually I just called. No warranties / recalls apply (and the transmission no, since it was replaced in '05).
Old 09-12-2008, 12:37 PM
Drifting

Thanks snowman81 & Bob_F for the info as well. But aren't warranties usually time vs. mileage, whichever comes first? Car's already 3k over 109k.
Yes the transmission warranty is a "whichever occurs first" type.

But Acura has partially covered or even fully covered transmission replacements for out-of-warranty cars. There's no guarantee that they will help you out but it doesn't hurt to ask.

See the last few pages of the Tranny Failure Thread for tips on getting out-of-warranty coverage:

https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-problems-fixes-117/tranny-failure-thread-566833/

Pay particular attenttion to the posts by forum member 01tl4tl.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:42 PM
Drifting

Edit: actually I just called. No warranties / recalls apply (and the transmission no, since it was replaced in '05).
The fact that the transmission was already replaced under warranty doesn't affect future coverage. Some forum members have had multiple transmissions installed under the extended warranty.

There was also an odometer reading problem that may get you coverage beyond 109,000 miles on that basis.
Old 09-12-2008, 01:09 PM
There's no Acura in

See, I've never dealt with warranty stuff. But the lady pretty much made it sound like I am not covered for anything at this point.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:56 PM
Team Owner

you called acura 800 number? or the dealer service writer?
800 reads from the Book of No~ thats their job-
the Service Writer has little authority regarding warranty
!!!while the Service Manager!!!! ---is able to talk with the actual acura warranty rep.
You should be covered to 114.5 indicated miles regardless of past replacement on an 02
and especially!! with a past replacement- 3 years on a trans -c'mon!
What exactly is the shifting doing???
I bet you got an early 05 replacement before the `big fix` to the design~

the 105 service, lots of it is DIY stuff, and a private shop that does hondas can do it for a good price- use the good acura parts is key
Old 09-12-2008, 06:04 PM
Team Owner

newperson
you will find that a little patience- persistance and possibly a small push- will get you fully covered- or at max- you pay for labor $500 and acura picks up the trans for $4000

reading your post again, mar 05 replacement- yes I bet you got one of the crap trans that used the `original case` and was filled with replacement parts.
IN feb 05 they allegedly made major changes to the case oil passages, and from then on - all the trans got a new case- but the ones that were sitting on the shelf already built- they shipped those out- wanna bet you got one of those

Armed with the info you find in this thread- especially the last few pages- and that last tidbit--will net you a good deal
When you can say- I belong to acurazine and can provide 50 recent reports of 100 percent goodwill, or 500 labor pay by cutomer

This trans was likely built right before the upgraded case changeover--
The Service Manager is usually an overworked overstressed- but good person- who will work with nice people-
they dont have to- so being nice- and mentioning giving them perfect 10s on the survey from Acura if they can hook you up---
thats more insider knowledge you have- they help people who are ~in the know
Old 09-12-2008, 06:07 PM
Team Owner

Its also 7 years PLUS 9 months from date sold, which would be a few days after the inspecton- one would think
Old 09-13-2008, 12:32 PM
There's no Acura in

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
you called acura 800 number? or the dealer service writer?
800 reads from the Book of No~ thats their job-
the Service Writer has little authority regarding warranty
!!!while the Service Manager!!!! ---is able to talk with the actual acura warranty rep.
You should be covered to 114.5 indicated miles regardless of past replacement on an 02
and especially!! with a past replacement- 3 years on a trans -c'mon!
What exactly is the shifting doing???
I bet you got an early 05 replacement before the `big fix` to the design~

the 105 service, lots of it is DIY stuff, and a private shop that does hondas can do it for a good price- use the good acura parts is key
I called the 800 number you gave in your first post. Gave her my info & then asked about any warranties or recalls that may apply to me. All she said was the 50k new car owner which obviously doesn't apply to me and then when I mentioned the transmission she said it didn't apply since it had already been done in '05.

As far as the 105k service, I was hoping that most of it is DIY, because buying this car pretty much emptied my bank account...I paid all cash. I can't afford service over maybe $500 (but I also didn't expect to have to have stuff done since I bought the car at a dealer).

I'm ok with cars but not super mechanically inclined like some of you are. The transmission seems to hesitate when it shifts gears. Like it feels like I'm in neutral longer than I should be. I'm not flooring it or anything, but the only way I get a smooth transition is if I drive like my grandmother (e.g., barely touch the gas from rest) and then drive normally once I hit I think 4th gear.

Also, where did you get 114.5k miles from?
Old 09-13-2008, 02:28 PM
There's no Acura in

I'm guessing 109k plus 5% odometer error?

I've looked through that thread but it's kind of difficult to pull out what hard things I need to be armed with to be more likely to get goodwill.

If I have to spend $1k on this car especially since I just bought it, I'm selling it. I bought the car based on my budget not expecting to have to get thousands of dollars of work done (the dealer mentioned all the things wrong with the car but never mentioned this stuff). Guess I'm never dealing with a dealer again...go back to my original instincts.
Old 09-13-2008, 02:46 PM
There's no Acura in

Wish I could edit...

So I've done some searching and it seems there is no Haynes or Chilton manual available. I've stumbled across the Helms manual but that's $95 (compared to the $20 Haynes/Chilton). And I know you're gonna say Helms blows Chilton/Haynes out the water but I'm not looking to be a DIY for every little thing imaginable; mainly just the 105k stuff and other basic things like fluid & brake changes. So my question is, is there no alternative to a Helms manual?

Guess I didn't realize how expensive the car is after you buy the damn thing...starting to rethink my decision.
Old 09-13-2008, 08:49 PM
Team Owner

yes 109 + 5% = 114.5 miles

Most of what you need to know is covered here in the DIY section on the big service- but if your not the mechanical type- its over your head

Delay in shift from N to D is a sypmtom and not a good one~

Many dealers are good about helping you- especially if you talk in person with the service MANAGER- tell them you just bought it-
if it was acura dealer sale tell them!!
Explain no cash flow and this news of bad trans is unexpected and totally out of budget
They can get you lots of goodwill-
Never believe the 800 number people- they are just there to start a claim file for you
Old 09-14-2008, 12:09 PM
There's no Acura in

I'm not the mechanical type but I am the 'figure-it-out' type.

If I have the car in neutral without my foot on the brake and then move the shift to D5, I "float" forward a little bit and then it jerks forward like a 1/2 a second later. Downshifting is also noticeable because 90% of my driving is city and it's like as soon as it upshifts and I need to slow down I can feel it downshift....therefore I usually just stay in D2 for city driving.

I will see what the dealer says, have an appointment scheduled for tomorrow. The dealer I'm going to is the one I bought it from.
Old 09-14-2008, 01:56 PM
Drifting

I will see what the dealer says, have an appointment scheduled for tomorrow. The dealer I'm going to is the one I bought it from.
If your transmission is having problems, ask to speak to the "Service Manager" as 01tl4tl recommends. Many other second generation "out-of-warranty" Acura TL owners have received goodwill coverage.
Old 09-14-2008, 03:26 PM
Team Owner

I'm not the mechanical type but I am the 'figure-it-out' type.

If I have the car in neutral without my foot on the brake and then move the shift to D5, I "float" forward a little bit and then it jerks forward like a 1/2 a second later. Downshifting is also noticeable because 90% of my driving is city and it's like as soon as it upshifts and I need to slow down I can feel it downshift....therefore I usually just stay in D2 for city driving.

OK- try having your foot on the brake like a normal person and shift from park- to Nuetral and into D5
If the time from N to D5 where you feel it engage and be ready- should be less than 2 seconds- 1 second preferred
Driving in D2 is the worst thing you can do to the TL trans--- well not the worst but its right up there!
The problem we have is weak clutches in 2nd and 3rd gear
Driving it in D2 limits it to 1st and 2nd- causing extreme wear of a worn part!
In town with lots of stops, or freeway traffic under 45mph- use D4,
that will keep it from hunting for overdrive or the torque convertor lockup- That should smooth things out- good info for all drivers to know/use!

If the car is jerking on automatic downshift- and you are not driving it full throttle- thats not good either~
Old 09-14-2008, 09:32 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not trying to jack the thread I just have a quick question for 01tl4tl. I had my transmission replaced at the dealership in mid April of 2008. About a month ago I realized that when I am merging into traffic from an off ramp the car down shifts very hard. It only downshifts hard when it is shifting from 3rd to 2nd, all other gears are fine.

I did not receive any goodwill when I purchased the transmission so I had to front all the money (still paying it off). Anyway, when I purchased the new trans I also purchased a 5 year 50,000 mile warranty. Any idea what this could be? Should I take it to the dealer and let them check it out since it is still under warranty?
Old 09-15-2008, 03:50 AM
Team Owner

YES- they got you for full price- they will cover it if bad unit
These things happen- my replacement trans picked up a shudder 2nd to 3rd shifts.
warranty!!
the 2nd-3rd gear clutches are the problem so if it goes..- those often are the warning

foreva- are you salvage title?- that would be the only reason for no coverage on a 2000 unless you have more miles than fsttymys!
Old 09-16-2008, 07:56 PM
There's no Acura in

Good and bad news from the dealer.

The bad....

No goodwill.

The good...

Didn't need it. The warranty covered me up to 114,500 miles. So I should have my TL back soon...with a new (replaced-for-FREE-and-a-free-loaner-car) transmission. Acura has made me happy not simply because of the freeness but also because the guy who helped me & made it go through actually cared about making me happy....and that means a lot, especially since I was wary about dealing with a dealer for buying a car in the first place.