Maintenance/Parts Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 04:40 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maintenance/Parts Recommendations

Hi all,

I've lurked the forums for quite some time once in a while, and have decided to join the mayhem since I need the advice of the experts.

My parents own a 2000 3.2TL since brand new, and it is currently at 295,000KM

The ma takes great care of the car, and has hit every single recommended maintenance (oil changes, timing belt @ 160000km, rebuilt transmission recently, etc...)

I brought the car in for an oil change, and was advised that it was time for a timing belt and rear brakes (pads, rotors, and calipers). I'm not sure if I need calipers because they claimed that could only push it back half way and couldn't remove the pads.

Either way, I'm getting quotes from various garages and needed advice on what after market brands to install. I personally have an M3 and stick with hawk pads, zimmerman rotors, etc... however, I do not know what are good after market options for Acura's.

The cheapest pricing I've got were for:
*Contitech Timing Belt Kit (including pumps, pulleys, tentioners, etc..)
*Wagner Brake Pads (?)
*Rotor Max (?)

Since I've ever heard of Wagner or Rotor Max, are they decent? Or do I have better options for the price.

ALSO, I may want to purchase the ma a newer car, and keep the TL for my daily/winter. The suspension system has never been changed, are they still fine until something goes, or should that be a preventative measure?

I may want to upgrade to a better handling set-up (H&R sport?), as I'm used to BMW handling --- the Acura feels kind of scary on corners compared.

I'm also getting a EVAP leak code. I've been advised that it's not causing any problems, and to ignore it. The solution advised is to replace the canister, for ~$500. My problem is that the CEL is constantly on, and we don't know if it's the EVAP code or something more serious.

Are these upgrades worth it on a 300,000km car?

Any input from the experts is greatly appreciated.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
Welcome aboard....."Arpeus"!!!

Joining the "Ziner's mayhem is a good call. We have tons of experienced hands on members to fully support most any questions that you may have on the 2nd Gen TL. Start out by getting familiar to the site and it's features such as the "DIY"s.

Specifically with your "PM" recommendations, some clarity as to rather you just want to keep it running for "ma" or do you sincerely intend on actually upgrading the car for yourself ? This is critical, so the most appropriate advice to be rendered going forward will be the most beneficial to you.

You appear to be well seasoned on parts selection, based on your M3. But that may not be in "ma"s budget for the interim, if she want's to minimize her costs on the old car.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:25 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 3.2TLc
Welcome aboard....."Arpeus"!!!

Joining the "Ziner's mayhem is a good call. We have tons of experienced hands on members to fully support most any questions that you may have on the 2nd Gen TL. Start out by getting familiar to the site and it's features such as the "DIY"s.

Specifically with your "PM" recommendations, some clarity as to rather you just want to keep it running for "ma" or do you sincerely intend on actually upgrading the car for yourself ? This is critical, so the most appropriate advice to be rendered going forward will be the most beneficial to you.

You appear to be well seasoned on parts selection, based on your M3. But that may not be in "ma"s budget for the interim, if she want's to minimize her costs on the old car.
You're right. Ignore my intentions of taking over the car (so no H&R Springs ).

Lets focus on the most important factors:
1. Keeping the car running strong for a long time
2. Quality parts for the family's safety (I have been less than satisfied with the current braking system)
3. Staying financially economic

I forgot to mention that another garage specifically uses NAPA parts.

I`m waiting on info from the third garage, which specialize in Honda/Acura, although they are about an hour away.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Contact one of our vendors like Excelerate or Heeltoe for brake rotor and pads. I prefer EBC green or red stuff for pads. Hawk makes pads for the TL as well.

As for the timing belt. Stick with OEM.

Contact the vendor in this thread and see if he is still offering the package deal
https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-1999-2003-98/complete-timing-belt-kit-special-%24295-763444/
Old 11-09-2012, 10:26 AM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Welcome to the forum.

Contact one of our vendors like Excelerate or Heeltoe for brake rotor and pads. I prefer EBC green or red stuff for pads. Hawk makes pads for the TL as well.

As for the timing belt. Stick with OEM.

Contact the vendor in this thread and see if he is still offering the package deal
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=763444
Thanks for posting that link. I just hit 200K and am due for a timing belt/water pump.
Old 11-10-2012, 03:36 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
you cant go wrong with the dealer/factory t belt and water pump--they have proven themselves
see the package deal from one of our sponsoring dealers,,PM them or call and mention acurazine for extra discounts

,,also ck ebay for asahi something like that,,same name as on the oe stuff,,ziners have gotten an amazing deal on those parts

shops like to get the parts for the job,,its part of where they make profit
most wont warranty anything you bring in!

you do want a shop familiar with TL timing belt,,,and its way overdue for a valve adjustment and clean the egr system inside intake manifold
DO replace all tensioners and roller pullies,,including ac tensioner and all belts
spark plugs if over 70kmiles on them,,use the correct ngk

brakes--dont go cheap--the TL is wicked fast and has garbage for stock brakes
rear calipers wont retract enough for them to remove it and inspect pads--that thing must be replaced NOW
may need both rears--or all calipers
brake fluid flush is often overlooked

as for total miles- our megamoderator fsttyms1 (fast times Won) has,,what is it now kris?, 500,000 US MILES
and still hits top speed on the Road America race track!

cheap handling mod- CUSCO lower frame cross brace
see our vendor MrHeelToe for that,,~100 bucks
removes that frame twisting feeling entering a turn and flattens the car out overall
best 100 bucks spent,,besides Legend dual piston calipers~

Last edited by 01tl4tl; 11-10-2012 at 03:38 PM.