Magnetic fuel pass-through promising better mileage/power/etc...

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2001 | 07:30 PM
Banned

Magnetic fuel pass-through promising better mileage/power/etc...

Tell me what you guys think about this one...there was a product I saw the advertisement for that was a clamp on to the fuel hose that contained quite a few neodynium magnets that were said to break down the hydrocarbons in gasoline so that it could pass through the engine easier with less waste, more power etc.

I don't know if I'm right in thinking this...but from my last Chemistry class burning hydrocarbons is just the process of breaking the chains down, hence the black sooty carbon is left over after the chains have been totally broken up. Now if you PRE break down the hydrocarbon chains, aren't you actually losing energy? Because you have less chains to break up? Or is it possible that the engine doesn't have enough time to break down the complex chains and so simple chains are easier to break up...thus leading to the better utilization of the fuel....anyone?

Austin519
Old 11-28-2001 | 07:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Two things...

1) How much?
2) What's the worst thing it could do?

2 being very important. Figure out that if the worst it does is nothing then you're only out some $$$.
Old 11-28-2001 | 07:46 PM
bluLEGEND

Re: Magnetic fuel pass-through promising better mileage/power/etc...

How would magnets break down hydrocarbons which are organic materials?

What is the dose time that the fuel actually sees this magnetic field? The fuel would not be exposed to this field very long.

Originally posted by Austin519
Tell me what you guys think about this one...there was a product I saw the advertisement for that was a clamp on to the fuel hose that contained quite a few neodynium magnets that were said to break down the hydrocarbons in gasoline so that it could pass through the engine easier with less waste, more power etc.

I don't know if I'm right in thinking this...but from my last Chemistry class burning hydrocarbons is just the process of breaking the chains down, hence the black sooty carbon is left over after the chains have been totally broken up. Now if you PRE break down the hydrocarbon chains, aren't you actually losing energy? Because you have less chains to break up? Or is it possible that the engine doesn't have enough time to break down the complex chains and so simple chains are easier to break up...thus leading to the better utilization of the fuel....anyone?

Austin519
Old 11-28-2001 | 07:47 PM
Banned

"Two things...

1) How much?
2) What's the worst thing it could do?

2 being very important. Figure out that if the worst it does is nothing then you're only out some $$$."

I think it was like $100 or less...as for the worst it could do...well it could break up your fuel as it went into your engine to the point where the engine wasn't getting as much energy out of the fuel (so my rudimentary chemistry tells me)...but I mean it's a bolt on....

Austin519
Old 11-28-2001 | 07:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

It's completely useless. Chalk it up next to the Tornado air intake widget.
Old 11-28-2001 | 07:56 PM
Banned

bluelegend:
Quite correct...I don't think it'd be exposed long...and I don't know how it would break down the hydrocarbons. I don't know enough about hydrocarbon/magnetic field interaction to say...here's a website with it:

click
Old 11-28-2001 | 08:05 PM
Banned

RAdams:
Think so? Hmm...ok.

Austin519
Old 11-28-2001 | 09:37 PM
Senior Moderator

"I think it was like $100 or less...
Hey what a bargain, $100 for a magnet.

You know this device will give you gains in MPG and acceleration in one respect; weight reduction. Your wallet will now be $100 lighter. :p
Old 11-28-2001 | 10:42 PM
Drifting

Hey I have one of those... right next to my Internal Cell Phone Antenna sticker!

I've got a piece of pocket lint to sell ya for $100. It may cure your cold, but if it doesn't do anything, at least it didn't do you any harm!

Old 11-28-2001 | 11:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Put some stickers on the car -- you can get some of them for free and will do just as much.

Reminds me of this guy who thinks he can generate power from the atoms in big coils of copper wire (going nowhere). I know a few smart people that think there is something to it, 'cause it can’t be disproved and has a bunch of chicken scratch (math mumbo jumbo) in the book he sells. As with most of the “junk”, there a bunch of geeks endorsing this BS on the inside cover…

"Auto Snake Oil" and "Info-hokum-ercials"
Old 11-29-2001 | 02:00 AM
Burning Brakes

I saw this magnet thing in a local hardware store called FuelMaster for like $20. It straps onto your fuel line and promises to give better gas mileage. I was about to buy it , thinking that at worst I'd just be out $20. Then again, my common sense kicked in and I realized that there's no conceivable reason, at least to my knowledge, that a magnetic field would increase my gas mileage.

I left the store, and saved my $20 for another day.
Old 11-29-2001 | 02:15 AM
Banned

Heh heh okay guys I get the point...

bebber:
How'd you get auto up/down on everything? Using timing circuits?

Austin519
Old 11-29-2001 | 02:32 AM
bluLEGEND

bluelegend:
Quite correct...I don't think it'd be exposed long...and I don't know how it would break down the hydrocarbons. I don't know enough about hydrocarbon/magnetic field interaction to say...here's a website with it:

click
I checked out the site. LOL. 20%?!? I dunno what kind of cars they are using. The thing might do more harm than good. Having a heavy box hanging from your fuel lines can't be good for you. Plus if you ever have a passenger using a pacemaker it might kill him/her. Maybe they are talking about fuel with lead in it (don't know if lead can be magnetized either).
Old 11-29-2001 | 08:21 AM
Not a Blowhole

Works well with a Vortex Tornado...

Jeesh, snake oil lives on.

This one has been asked and answered so many times I fear "somewhere a bolt is missing its head", as the Weakest Link lady says.

This device is utter rubbish - it is up there with Z-Max and the other oil additives, Fire Injectors, Pet Rocks, Harmonic Convergence, etc.
Old 11-29-2001 | 12:21 PM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Originally posted by Road Rage
This device is utter rubbish - it is up there with Z-Max and the other oil additives, Fire Injectors, Pet Rocks, Harmonic Convergence, etc.
Hey I almost bought that pet rock when I was a kid. :p As for Z-Max commercials, well...I dunno, thank god I wasnt rich or I would of bought them by now. whew
Old 11-29-2001 | 12:32 PM
Instructor

I bought one of those magnet products for my truck. Prior to purchasing, I went through 3 tanks of gas in order to get a pretty acurate mileage. After I purchased the product, I took calculations off of three more tanks of gas. Here's what I found, ZERO improvement.......it's a WASTE of $$$
Old 11-29-2001 | 05:19 PM
Not a Blowhole

Hey, science and empirics in synchrony! How do you like that.
Old 11-29-2001 | 06:11 PM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Originally posted by Road Rage
Hey, science and empirics in synchrony! How do you like that.
1 entry found for empirics.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
em·pir·ic (m-pîrk)

n.
1) One who is guided by practical experience rather than precepts or theory.

2)An unqualified or dishonest practitioner; a charlatan.

adj.
Empirical.

*I had to look it up