Lowering the TL-S

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2001, 11:15 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 497 Likes on 230 Posts
Question Lowering the TL-S

ZodiacTL and Closer have posted great pictures of their TL-S's with the lower springs.

I was wondering if anyone with a TL or TL-S with the underbody kit has lowered their car. If so, how is the curb clearance? Especially things like speed bumps and those road intersections that dip down before they come back up (you know what I mean?)

I have to admit that the lowered cars look SO much better. I don't know why the rear sits up so high on the un-lowered cars.

------------------
-------------------------

02 TL-S NAV w/Spoiler, Body Kit and Bowling Ball Wheel!

Old 03-24-2001, 03:45 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe when you have 3 200lb passenger in the back the car will be lowered?

Does lowered car have a lot more trouble in snow?
Old 03-25-2001, 02:04 AM
Acura TL-S

Originally posted by oblio98:
ZodiacTL and Closer have posted great pictures of their TL-S's with the lower springs.

I was wondering if anyone with a TL or TL-S with the underbody kit has lowered their car. If so, how is the curb clearance? Especially things like speed bumps and those road intersections that dip down before they come back up (you know what I mean?)

I have to admit that the lowered cars look SO much better. I don't know why the rear sits up so high on the un-lowered cars.

i took a look at what it would be like if i put the kit on my lowered tl(same for tl-s) and i dont think the car is practical at that point anymore, you lose virtually all ground clearence, and have to be super careful about driving on anything except perfectly straight, smooth roads... i drive a lot in the city, and have to get in and out of my driveway, so i decided not to put the kit on, but it would look awesome lowered and with kit... now if you had hydrolic shocks that would let you control the height with a push of a button, then i would definitely get a kit... but thats on the more expensive side...

Originally posted by Firebird_EOU:
Maybe when you have 3 200lb passenger in the back the car will be lowered?

Does lowered car have a lot more trouble in snow?
the snow clearence is not affected too much unless there is 3-4 inches on ground all over the place... otherwise the TL pulls out of pretty much nething... but you gotta realize that you only lose about 1.2-1.5" off ur current height... so its not THAT drastic...

------------------
'02 Nighthawk TL-S
------------------
Comptech Springs
-------------
Alpine CVA-1005 Head Unit / Alpine G320 EQ / Alpine DVA-5205 DVD / Alpine NVE-N851A Navi / JL Audio XR653-CS 3-Way comps for the front powered by a bridged Alpine MRV-F407 amp / Boston Acoustics 5.5 ProSeries 2-Way comps for the rear powered by Alpine MRV-1002 amp / Dual 10" JL Audio W-6 sub powered by Alpine MRV-1005 amp / Two Alpine CHA-1214 CD Changers
Pics of my TL and Fun/Crazy Pics

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by ZodiakTL on March 25, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 03-25-2001, 06:50 AM

Must be a 25 and under thing to want to lower this car.
Old 03-25-2001, 12:41 PM
Acura TL-S

Originally posted by Raptor:
thats what my father kept saying, and now that he's driving my lowered tl, he loves it... what you have to realize is that its not just for looks that people do it, some of us do it because it drastically improves the handling, which means when you're making a turn, whether at 20mph or 60mph you dont feel like you're about to get thrown out the window or that the car will roll-over... its just a different driving feeling... much more steady... try it sometime its akin to comparing a stock TL with a stock ES300(which feels like a big boat on the road)

------------------
'02 Nighthawk TL-S
------------------
Comptech Springs
-------------
Alpine CVA-1005 Head Unit / Alpine G320 EQ / Alpine DVA-5205 DVD / Alpine NVE-N851A Navi / JL Audio XR653-CS 3-Way comps for the front powered by a bridged Alpine MRV-F407 amp / Boston Acoustics 5.5 ProSeries 2-Way comps for the rear powered by Alpine MRV-1002 amp / Dual 10" JL Audio W-6 sub powered by Alpine MRV-1005 amp / Two Alpine CHA-1214 CD Changers
Pics of my TL and Fun/Crazy Pics
Old 03-25-2001, 12:49 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 497 Likes on 230 Posts

Hey, I'm 49 and want to lower mine!
(But then again, I think I am still 25 in my mind [which is lost])

:-jon
Old 03-25-2001, 01:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Raptor, not true. This is one of the most frenquently asked quesions I get from this site. "I love my TL but I can't stand the big wheel gap, which lowering springs do you recomend, I don't want to lose ride quality.."
I get that question asked almost as much as "is there foglights avaialble for my TL?"

And age has nothing to do with it, it is just that the TL's have so much wheel gap. Go stick your fist in the gap above your front tire
I have sold alot of lowering springs to TL owners and never had a complaint. The ride is very close to stock, with much better handling and looks...

------------------
Members, thanks for your support! Please check with us on prices for any car parts Chances are were the lowest
2000 Acura TL
AEM CAI
Mugen Sport Suspension
Comptech headers
Racing Hart C2's w/Dunlop SP9000 225/40/18
Comptech Sways
AutoCarParts.com
Acura-TL.com
info@acura-tl.com
My Ride
<A HREF="http://www.acura-tl.com/My_Rides/RacingHart.jpg" TARGET=_blank>
</A>
Old 03-25-2001, 03:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree about the bodykit being too close to the ground. After rolling around in my Accord with the kit and 19". I wanted something "carefree". I had the bodykit and spoiler on order... but deleted it 2 days before I got my car, and for me it was the right choice. With comptech springs and 4 people in my car, I can drive just as I would stock. For once, hitting dips in the road doesn't cause my skin to crawl. The TL handles great, rides a bit bouncy... but is controlled and looks the way it should have... stock. European cars really have it right when it comes to vehicle stance and looks. BMW's have the perfect wheel gap.

Old 03-25-2001, 03:39 PM
Acura TL-S

Talking

Originally posted by Closer:
I agree about the bodykit being too close to the ground. After rolling around in my Accord with the kit and 19". I wanted something "carefree". I had the bodykit and spoiler on order... but deleted it 2 days before I got my car, and for me it was the right choice. With comptech springs and 4 people in my car, I can drive just as I would stock. For once, hitting dips in the road doesn't cause my skin to crawl. The TL handles great, rides a bit bouncy... but is controlled and looks the way it should have... stock. European cars really have it right when it comes to vehicle stance and looks. BMW's have the perfect wheel gap.

M5

*drool*