Lowered TL-S in snow

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2002, 09:02 AM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
Lowered TL-S in snow

I am here to tell ya, the car did great! We had an unusual 10" of snow here, temp. never got above freezing. I headed out in my Comptech'ed TLS and stock Michelins with some trepidation about ice building up in the wheel wells. Well, I had no problems. I could barely get the traction control (VSA) to engage, the car was rock steady. My wife had offered her Camry, and I almost took it, but felt the need for investigation. TL-S passed with flying colors. Your results may vary.
Old 01-03-2002, 09:05 AM
Having Fun?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did the comptech springs/sways have a big hand in helping? I ask because in two inches of snow my car was darn right scary, I already have snows on order!
Old 01-03-2002, 01:08 PM
No, you are a dork.

Originally posted by copland007
Did the comptech springs/sways have a big hand in helping? I ask because in two inches of snow my car was darn right scary, I already have snows on order!
copland007

Has everything to do with the driver.......

Road Rage:

Good to hear... We are expecting a total of 13-16" at the coast before this whole thing ends.....I couldnt bring myself to take my TL-S out of the garage....Took my wifes 2000 4Runner, obviously did fine and was very fun.....

I am not worried about me wrecking my TL-S, just some dope that has lived here his/her whole life that freaks out when the flakes start falling and cant drive... i grew up in Roanoke so I am rather used to driving in deep snow......

Have a good one......

D
Old 01-03-2002, 01:13 PM
Having Fun?

Originally posted by daryl.com
Has everything to do with the driver.......
Hmm... I guess the many years I've been driving have been all wrong. Funny I never had problems on snow like this before... I grew up in the mountains of Vermont, so snow isn't something new to me

Don't get me wrong, I understand that an ill prepared driver at the wheel during snow can be dangerous, but I was testing the car in a parking lot when I decided never again with these stock tires.
Old 01-03-2002, 02:08 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
copland: I am very surprised at your experience- I have owned many cars, and this is one of the best in snow I can recall. I went to college in New Hampshire and also have a lot of hi-perf track time which teaches you to handle skids and slides, but I didn't need any of it in my car. And no, I do not think the suspension had anything to do with it, esp in the traction control area as that was straight line only.

Daryl: You coward! But I know how you feel - Virginians go about as mind numb in the snow as Yankess eating hush puppies.
Old 01-03-2002, 02:18 PM
Having Fun?

I was just as suprised as you are. The car felt fine driving straight and with very light braking, but as soon as I put any lateral pressure or moderate braking pressure on the car it felt like I was skiing with no control :p

Personally I fear any emergency braking/manuevers with the stock tires on snow. Day-to-day driving I think they will suffice.
Old 01-03-2002, 02:27 PM
Pro

Re: Lowered TL-S in snow

Originally posted by Road Rage
I am here to tell ya, the car did great! We had an unusual 10" of snow here, temp. never got above freezing. I headed out in my Comptech'ed TLS and stock Michelins with some trepidation about ice building up in the wheel wells. Well, I had no problems. I could barely get the traction control (VSA) to engage, the car was rock steady. My wife had offered her Camry, and I almost took it, but felt the need for investigation. TL-S passed with flying colors. Your results may vary.
good to know, I used to rely on my awd talon for snow duty, but last year I got "summer only" tires... which sucked bad in the snow. We haven't had any snow in NYC yet but it's good to know the TL-S could probably get me around.
Old 01-03-2002, 02:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

After driving a '88 Mustang 5.0 for about 4 winters worth, I should be able to drive this car fairly easy. I have no worries, Funny how you guys down south are getting all the snow? No snow in the NYC area yet, but I'm not complaining.

Just drive "knowing" your limitations (grip) in the snow. All the dumba$$ SUV/all-wheel drive owners who get going easy enough never realize it's not going to stop or turn as good. Scary, scary
Old 07-09-2012, 11:36 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So i drive a 3g tl and if go the cheap route and not get coilovers and get springs with shock (possibly) and atttempt to drive in the snow i should be find i wanna drop my car no more than 2 inches.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:39 PM
MechEng

Received 483 Likes on 400 Posts
holy thread revival!

yes you will be fine.