Love and Hate....Black TL owners know what I mean

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2002, 12:36 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Love and Hate....Black TL owners know what I mean

You've got to admit, there aren't to many cars that look better than a clean, just waxed Black ride....But $@#% how do you keep it from getting scrathes? I only hand wash my car and i never use anything abrasive, but the scrathes keep coming. Does anyone have any suggestions? Please help, i've only had my TL-S for 4months and these scrathes are driving me crazy.
Old 02-26-2002, 12:47 PM
Banned

Used to have the same problem w/ my black integra and still have the same problems w/ my ABP.....cant win
Old 02-26-2002, 12:49 PM
Advanced

Re: Love and Hate....Black TL owners know what I mean

Originally posted by HenryT
You've got to admit, there aren't to many cars that look better than a clean, just waxed Black ride....Does anyone have any suggestions? Please help, i've only had my TL-S for 4months and these scrathes are driving me crazy.
I feel your pain.
When you're washing it, you wonder why the #!@@$!% did I get the black??
And then when you're done, you know exactly why you got the black!!
Personally I choose to avoid the whole issue by never looking at my car between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m.
It just doesn't look that good when the sun is at that high an angle.
I know this was of absolutely no help to you, but I just couldn't resist.
FWIW I'm firmly in the Zaino camp.
Old 02-26-2002, 12:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Welcome to the board HenryT,

First provide us with some information. It will be very useful in determining your best course of action for ridding your car of scratches.

1) What do you wash your car with (mitt, towel, brush, sponge)?
2) What car wash soap do you use?
3) What do you use to dry your car with (chamois, towel, MF towel)?
4) What products do use use to polish/wax your car (Meguiars, Zaino, Mother's)?
5) What type of applicator do you use to apply the wax (foam, cotton, old t-shirt)?
6) What do you use to remove the wax residue (MF towel, bath towel, paper towel...just kidding I hope)?
Old 02-26-2002, 12:58 PM
Banned

all i have to say is... MIRCO FIBER TOWELS.... get them, love them!

Also while washing or waxing, i seen people throw their towels on the ground and then pick them up and use them... DONT DO THAT, little pebbles get stuck in the towels and leave scratches. I learned that on my old car.

Also as far as wax goes... i have found that pinnacle Souverän works the best on NBP. Zanio people hate me all you want, i just think zanio is for lighter colored cars. IMO
Old 02-26-2002, 12:59 PM
4th Gear

Henry,

First off, I am no expert on paint or car care.

But I do know what works (at least for me) as I just had my '86 Mustang GT repainted in Silver and Black (hood only). The black hood should have been painted in a semi gloss but the shop only had gloss, so I went with it. There was a little bit of orange peel look to the hood. One of the guys suggested a color sanding. It did the job! I don't think that you will need that but there are no scratches on the hood.

I was turned on to the Meguire's brand of waxes, polishes, and cleaners. I have a 94 Integra (teal green) that had scratches from the years of car washing. I purchased Meguire's cleaner(1), polish(2) and wax(3). I also purchased the Meguire's Gold car wash soap. I could not tell nor see the scratches even in the California Sun!

There are numbers associated to the Meguire's line of products and a suggested order of application. I have seen at a high end paint store/shop the entire line up to 23!

Hope this helps?

Ben

02 TL-S non-Nav Satin Silver
Old 02-26-2002, 01:02 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by bloo_tls02
Used to have the same problem w/ my black integra and still have the same problems w/ my ABP.....cant win
Just got through long argument with NSXNEXT on washing in Leather care topic.

I have ABP am not showing any scratches other than microscratches on the front of hood and front fenders due to road dirt, and these are not visible in normal light. I've had my car about a month now and have washed and Blackfired it every weekend since I got it.
Old 02-26-2002, 01:04 PM
Super Troll

thank god for silver even when dirty still looks clean....
Old 02-26-2002, 01:16 PM
Racer

Unhappy Re: Love and Hate....Black TL owners know what I mean

Originally posted by HenryT
You've got to admit, there aren't to many cars that look better than a clean, just waxed Black ride....But $@#% how do you keep it from getting scrathes? I only hand wash my car and i never use anything abrasive, but the scrathes keep coming. Does anyone have any suggestions? Please help, i've only had my TL-S for 4months and these scrathes are driving me crazy.
I feel your pain! I wanted black too, but borrowed a loaner in black for 2 day's before I purchased and that changed my mind! I need the black to just garage and admire ,and the silver for my daily driver! LOL
Old 02-26-2002, 01:18 PM
Racer

Re: Re: Love and Hate....Black TL owners know what I mean

Originally posted by billyvader
I feel your pain! I wanted black too, but borrowed a loaner in black for 2 day's before I purchased and that changed my mind! I need the black to just garage and admire ,and the silver for my daily driver! LOL
Good weather helps too! Sunny Phoenix Arizona
Old 02-26-2002, 01:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Originally posted by Greymage
I have ABP am not showing any scratches other than microscratches on the front of hood and front fenders due to road dirt, and these are not visible in normal light. I've had my car about a month now
Hmmm...think that has anything to do with it?
Old 02-26-2002, 02:43 PM
Racer

I try so hard to keep my car look clean, but there is just scratch everywhere...after I wax it and it will look a little better~
Old 02-26-2002, 02:45 PM
O.G.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am a die-hard black color for car kinda guy.
Old 02-26-2002, 03:15 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Black Car's

I also have a love/hate relationship with my car(color). I use the Pinnacle wax on my car and I love the product. I know the Zaino people swear by their stuff but the results are what count.
I keep my car in the garage. don't drive in bad weather, and most of all don't touch,rub,or even look too long and black paint when there is dust or dirt on it. WASH WASH WASH/dry dry dry
Then ENJOY because you have the best color!!!
Old 02-26-2002, 04:25 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by NSXNEXT

Hmmm...think that has anything to do with it?
It's possible - although I've washed and Blackfired four times now. Usually I would just run it through the carwash every few weeks and just wax twice a year (once the new car thrill wears off), so I have already performed two years worth of normal detailing on it
Old 02-26-2002, 08:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have a 99 Black TL and trust me, I know how hard it is to keep a black car clean. First of all, the swirls always show on a dark colored car especially black. I cannot get rid of them permanently. I can hide them by waxing my car but when the wax comes off, the scratches come back. Second, the damn pollen gets on your car and it makes it look like a nasty yellow color and when it rains, your car looks like shiat! Third, chips and pebble marks show all over the hood and front bumper. They are a bltch because they are white. So basically, a black car is amazing when it is waxed/new but looks nasty when dirty or old. If I had the choice again, I would only get a light color such as, WDP or SSM. I love those two colors and they are easier to maintain.

Also, Black shines nice in the day but damn, WDP and SSM glow in the dark!

Rosh
Old 02-26-2002, 09:20 PM
Advanced

I know what you mean....but waxing it every month should help.
Old 02-26-2002, 09:25 PM
Advocatus Diaboli

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You guys are making a mountain out of a molehill. Wax occassionaly and take your car to a reputable, good car wash once a week. You car will gleam. And when it doesn't, you know it's time to go back to the car wash. What's $5-$10 and a little bit of your time?
Old 02-26-2002, 11:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I wash my car at least once a week in the winter. Two or more in the summer.
Old 02-27-2002, 09:18 AM
Three Wheelin'

I've used Pinnacle wax, its a good wax. However, I am now a sealant fan. Haven't tried the Blackfire, I imagine its pretty close to Zaino. I do know that I deepened the color of my car and it stays clean longer.

I think I will start over this spring with an actual scratch remover (3m foam or someother, I'll check with a local detail shop that I know). Once I get the fine swirls and scratches out, its Zaino time.
Old 02-27-2002, 09:59 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My TL is white, but i think there is nothing like a dark colored car driving around town at night with all the lights bouncing off its body and displaying all the curves and sexy lines of your machine.