Loose rear view mirror

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 09:20 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loose rear view mirror

Can the rear view mirror be tightened? I have a 2000 TL, and recently had my front windshield replaced. The mirror base that attaches the mirror to the windshield is locked (no movement), but from where the mirror attaches from the windshield to the mirror body (that ball/socket) it really is loose. Is there a screw/nut that can be tightned on the mirror, or did they break it putting it on?

Thanks,
Jason
Old 06-30-2009, 11:00 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
they owe you a mirror
about 80 iirc from a recent posting here
you want a new one anyway- not a junkyard used unit,
there was a problem with the fluid inside the mirror and them leaking- bad stuff
The new version cures that
Old 06-30-2009, 11:03 AM
The Dumb One

Received 373 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
they owe you a mirror
about 80 iirc from a recent posting here
you want a new one anyway- not a junkyard used unit,
there was a problem with the fluid inside the mirror and them leaking- bad stuff
The new version cures that
normal pricing is about 125-130 according to the dealers i know.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:20 PM
country livin...

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
my mirror was loose when I bought my TL (2nd owner) so I popped it off and applied a very thin layer of Elmer's Glue to the metal ball *and* the plastic socket. make sure it's a very thin layer and let them dry unattached overnight.

once both ball and socket are dried. rub a very small bit of soapy water on the ball to lubricate it before popping the mirror back on. The lube keeps the glue from scrapping right off. dont fiddle with it once it's back on... let the soapy water dry before adjusting the mirror.

it will be much tighter thanks to the thin layer of dried glue. and it'll save you 100 shells.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:23 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ndub
my mirror was loose when I bought my TL (2nd owner) so I popped it off and applied a very thin layer of Elmer's Glue to the metal ball *and* the plastic socket. make sure it's a very thin layer and let them dry unattached overnight.

once both ball and socket are dried. rub a very small bit of soapy water on the ball to lubricate it before popping the mirror back on. The lube keeps the glue from scrapping right off. dont fiddle with it once it's back on... let the soapy water dry before adjusting the mirror.

it will be much tighter thanks to the thin layer of dried glue. and it'll save you 100 shells.
I did pretty much the same thing but I used silicone sealant.

Here's what I posted back in July of 2008:

About a year after I replaced it, my rearview mirror would start to work its way off the mounting bracket. It didn't make any noise but it could tell it was loose from the shaking of the reflected image. Attempting to push it more firmly into place did not help. I didn't want to apply too much force because others have cracked their TL windshields doing this.

So here's what I did to correct the problem. I removed the mirror entirely and I applied a very thin coat of silicone sealant between the two interlocking sections of the mounting bracket. I did that months ago and the mirror has not loosened since.

Silicone sealant will allow you to remove the mirror down the road. You can also use a latex based caulk.

For removing the mirror, here's a great DIY thread with photos by forum member 6MTUA5:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showp...&postcount=309
Old 06-30-2009, 01:26 PM
Team Owner

I thought they were 150,, and recently a ziner posted about the $80 from one of our sponsoring dealer vendors- score!
Old 06-30-2009, 03:34 PM
country livin...

bob, did the Silicone Sealant lock it in place? or was there some play? I get enough play with dried Elmer's Glue that my wife can still readjust if needed. only trouble is it'll wear off in a few months of constant repositioning.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:24 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ndub
bob, did the Silicone Sealant lock it in place? or was there some play? I get enough play with dried Elmer's Glue that my wife can still readjust if needed. only trouble is it'll wear off in a few months of constant repositioning.
ndub,

I didn't read the OP's post carefully. The vibration for my mirror was not in the ball and socket joint but was, instead, occurring between the two sliding metal interlock pieces that hold the mirror to the base. So my fix might not work for your situation or the OP's.

The best solution might be to just buy a new mirror. If you go that route, be sure that you buy the newer design that won't leak.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:12 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by mrkatt
Can the rear view mirror be tightened? I have a 2000 TL, and recently had my front windshield replaced. The mirror base that attaches the mirror to the windshield is locked (no movement), but from where the mirror attaches from the windshield to the mirror body (that ball/socket) it really is loose. Is there a screw/nut that can be tightned on the mirror, or did they break it putting it on?

Thanks,
Jason
Not that I have found. The mirror is basically a friction fit. After my original mirror failed (defective, the liquid came out), the replacement has been loose. My fix is to shove it back up and tight until I notice it vibrating loose again. Unfortunately it seems to be happening more and more frequently. Perhaps I will try something like putting silicone on it to increase the thickness??
Old 07-01-2009, 10:59 AM
Team Owner

the mirror mount has a locking tab- or its supposed to!
maybe it was damaged?
Old 07-01-2009, 11:53 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
the mirror mount has a locking tab- or its supposed to!
maybe it was damaged?
Interesting, I have to look more closely. I do have the service manual although Im not sure how much detail they will show on the mirror. I did find it odd when I had the failed on at the acura dealer that they initially said that they were going to have to order the mirror and it would be 2 days. The next thing I know a repair adviser calls and says the cars done. Always wondered a little if they used the correct mirror or just pulled a close one off the shelf or maybe different car. Incidentally the mirror is the only thing I ever got to use my extended 10yr/100k warranty for. The car has been rock solid.