Looking for new car adivce

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2002, 11:30 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for new car adivce

Hey guys. First post here. Purchasing a new TL-S by the 26th of this month. *so damn excited* I have searched this forum for a few topics, but I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for, so here goes a few questions:

1) What's the big deal with the Nav? I know it seems cool from a technology standpoint, but I would be worried about looking at the screen too much as opposed to the road. Plus, i've been manually finding my way around for about 10 years now. I've read that people have kicked themselves for not getting the Nav, so what's so great about it? I look at the $2k price and I wonder if it's really worth it. Convince me?

2) Spoiler. About $800 installed in the Wash. D.C. area. That seems like a helluva lot for a spoiler, although it makes the whip all the more sportier. Any thoughts?

3) Most important: What should I expect to pay for my new TL-S? I've done some research on holdback etc, but I am just curious as to what to expect to pay. Let's assume a base TL-S without spolier or Nav.

Greatly appreciated guys! I'm not dead set on the exterior color. I like the black and silver.
Old 07-15-2002, 12:20 PM
Instructor

Welcome, I didnt opt for the navi so I cant convince you, however it does look really cool. Worth 2 grand...??? You can get the spoiler cheaper from sites like this one, so I wouldnt buy it from the dealer. There are also some aftermarket spoilers, which some people think look better and they cost less. like W.W. Hope this helps a little, P.S. the ABP is a cool color also... Just thought I'd give you something else to think about.
Old 07-15-2002, 12:28 PM
Pro

Received 74 Likes on 41 Posts
Just to provide my thoughts on the navi. I too questioned it's value, but bought it anyway if for the very least increased resale value later on. I have sinced found it quite useful on several occasions where I was in unfamiliar areas and needed to either find an alternate route, had gotten lost and needed to find my way back to a main road - or had a nephew puke on himself and needed to find the closest store to buy him another pair of pants to finish our trip in. I have had the car less than three months and am already glad I had the navi.

To address your other questions. I purchased my 2003 TL-S through Rosenthal Acura in Gaithersburg. With navi the base price was $31540 and the spoiler was $566 installed. At least one otherperson on this board spoke to them recently and was given similar numbers for any color vehicle. I purchased the Noble Green.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-15-2002, 12:30 PM
Instructor

Lightbulb tl-s

from what I've read, no one's been unhappy about getting navi, I didn't and kinda wish I had but am happy w/out. What dealership are you thinking of going to? I've heard Radley and Pohanka acura are good. I went to Chevy Chase Acura in Bethesda, MD and got a great deal. Spoiler should be no more than $500-600 installed. If you go to Chevy Chase, ask for Byron and say Mike sent you, if so I get a complimentary oil change. Well, best of luck, my car's one month old today and I'm very happy.

i was out the door for 31,026, for 2003ABP TL-type-S
Old 07-15-2002, 12:43 PM
Burning Brakes

I skipped the navi. If I was in sales or traveled a lot, I would have purchased it. It was nice freeing up those $$ for other things.
Old 07-15-2002, 12:47 PM
Burning Brakes

I'm sure the navi is nice to have....but I think most people get it because it "looks cool".....I'd skip it unless you do a lot of traveling in unfamiliar places
Old 07-15-2002, 01:33 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by kcroberge

To address your other questions. I purchased my 2003 TL-S through Rosenthal Acura in Gaithersburg. With navi the base price was $31540 and the spoiler was $566 installed. At least one otherperson on this board spoke to them recently and was given similar numbers for any color vehicle. I purchased the Noble Green.

Hope this helps.
Well, that means I should probably be able to get an OTD (out the door aka final cost) cost of about $30,000 w/o Navigation. I really don't have a use for it to be honest. Did your price of $31540 include the spoiler? I actually live in the Gaithersburg area, and was planning on buying from Rosenthal due to their location near Lakeforest. Can you tell me who sold you your vehicle? Was it Ron?

My girlfriend leased her 2000 Integra from a guy named Ron at Rosenthal.

Also, anyone try buying with a check from PeopleFirst.com or from E Loan? I'm trying to avoid Honda Financing's crappy rates.
Old 07-15-2002, 01:55 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well, this is the first car of this "type" for me so i haven't have anything really fancy in the past. considering the car is so cheap and the only option was the nav, i opted to get it then to regret it later. i have used maps in the past, but rather than break it out, you can just type it on the screen. and how about those times when you don't have it? not much of an argument, but the nav has paid off more than a couple of times when i needed it. and now that i have the nav conversion to play video, i love it even more!

see if you can fully test out the nav system when you go on a test drive.
Old 07-15-2002, 02:10 PM
Pro

My salesman at Rosenthal was Chad Dorfman, he is the internet sales guy. My base price of $31540 did not include the spoiler, taxes or tags. Rosenthal does not charge a processing fee like others do. You can look up their web site through the Acura site and check their inventory online for the colors you are interested in.
Old 07-15-2002, 02:49 PM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
I have the NAV in my TLS and I love it. It has saved my a$$ so many times and I use it often. It has more features than most people think and also the ease of use makes it even more attractive. Go to your dealer and play with it, it is very simple and this way you can get a feel for it. I highly recommend it but if you don't travel more than the 50 mile radius from your residence than I wouldn't get it.
Old 07-15-2002, 04:10 PM
Instructor

My salesman at Rosenthal was Chad Dorfman, he is the internet sales guy. My base price of $31540 did not include the spoiler, taxes or tags. Rosenthal does not charge a processing fee like others do. You can look up their web site through the Acura site and check their inventory online for the colors you are interested in.
I don't know what to expect to pay in MD for a new car in
a) taxes
B)title/tags

Anyone know what the rate in MD is?
Old 07-16-2002, 12:24 AM
Banned

Re: Looking for new car adivce

Originally posted by paxus
1) What's the big deal with the Nav? I know it seems cool from a technology standpoint, but I would be worried about looking at the screen too much as opposed to the road. Plus, i've been manually finding my way around for about 10 years now. I've read that people have kicked themselves for not getting the Nav, so what's so great about it? I look at the $2k price and I wonder if it's really worth it. Convince me?
I've got the navi and am *so* glad I did. You will use it a lot more than you think. However, only you can be the judge as you know your driving habits better than anyone. Definitely go to a dealer and play with one and *definitely* make sure the areas in which you live, work, and travel frequently are fully mapped. Although the DVD boasts full coverage of the continental US, in reality it is most major metropolitan cities and a 20 mile radius of the surrounding area. Outside that zone are just major roads and highways to get you from one fully mapped area to another. If your area is not fully mapped, you may not find it that useful.
Old 07-16-2002, 07:00 AM
Pro

The tax rate in MD is 5%. Therefore it should add about $1500-$1700 to your price. I am not sure what they charged me for tags. Tags in MD cost me $151.

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to know.
Old 07-16-2002, 01:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well paxus I don't have such a nice car as that TL-S I just have a plain old run of the mill car like a 2000TL but it does have a DVD NAVIGATION SYSTEM. Get the NAVI you will not regret it for one moment. Our car unlike the MDX don't have a real trip computer.
I use the NAVI to count down my time to & miles to destination when I travel. The NAVI also has a DETOUR FEATURE that when used can may get you around traffic jams. This will reroute you around the jam & back on your current route if possible.It will not be a problem for you looking at the screen. The placement of the ACURA NAVI screen is very good. It will not take your attention away from driving you can listen to the voice of the NAV as it tells you what to do. I have been very happy with mine the 2 & a hlf years. I also purchased my car from ROSENTHAL ACURA as I live in D.C. & have it serviced there. They now have that new larger dealership across from the old one. If you are handy you can buy the spoiler from this site. Or make the salesperson deal with that option. I got a coupon book good thru 9/30/ 2002 from ROSENTHAL that has rear wing spoiler at a price of $712.08 for our cars. The regular price is $810.00 so you save $90.00 they also have the moonroof visor for $72.90 regular $93.72
Old 07-16-2002, 02:03 PM
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Just to provide my thoughts on the navi. I too questioned it's value, but bought it anyway if for the very least increased resale value later on.
Interesting point on the 'resale value' with nav...go to Kelley Blue Book. They now have numbers for the '02 TL-S. It appears the trade-in value with nav is only about $325 difference than without...hardly worth the $2k purchase price, IMHO...
Old 07-16-2002, 02:09 PM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally posted by garylee55

Interesting point on the 'resale value' with nav...go to Kelley Blue Book. They now have numbers for the '02 TL-S. It appears the trade-in value with nav is only about $325 difference than without...hardly worth the $2k purchase price, IMHO...
You are not buying the NAV as an investment and look for a return in the future. This feature should be treated as investment of your time and convenience. If you hit a detour at a foreign state/ city it can be annoying and a big waste of time, however, if you have the NAV it will guide you through the maze and still get you to your destination in a timely fashion without losing your sanity. That's just me.
Old 07-17-2002, 07:24 AM
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by thephantom

You are not buying the NAV as an investment and look for a return in the future. This feature should be treated as investment of your time and convenience. If you hit a detour at a foreign state/ city it can be annoying and a big waste of time, however, if you have the NAV it will guide you through the maze and still get you to your destination in a timely fashion without losing your sanity. That's just me.
Perhaps...if the detour takes you through enough major roads...I found the Nav missing the detail I needed. I can find my way around major roads...just follow the signs like I have been for 30 years...and I have lived in 4 different states in 5 major cities with no problems.
Old 07-17-2002, 09:40 AM
bsk
Intermediate

I bought by 2002 SSM TL-S w/o navi at Rosenthal last Oct.

29,851.00 Car
1,492.55 Tax(5%)
157.00 Tags & Processing Fee
31,500.55 Total Out the Door Price
Old 07-17-2002, 11:05 AM
Instructor

nice price

Originally posted by bsk
I bought by 2002 SSM TL-S w/o navi at Rosenthal last Oct.

29,851.00 Car
1,492.55 Tax(5%)
157.00 Tags & Processing Fee
31,500.55 Total Out the Door Price
I just got a quote from Acura West for

$29,500 Car
$498 Destination fee
tax about the same obviously
tags about the same obviously

Think I am going to take that car.