Looking to buy a 2003 TL, need advice..

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 01:07 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Looking to buy a 2003 TL, need advice..

Hey guys I'm new here, and looking forward to being part of the family soon. That being said, I want to buy a 2003 TL, I've always LOVED (note capitals!!!!)this car, and has always been out of my financial range. Now that I'm much older(26) and wiser, and more loaded with cash, I want one. Here are a couple of questions:

1. Is the Navigation system an extra on Type-S models? Reason I ask is because I've been looking online and some say Type-S and no navigation and some do have navigation, is it not stock on all Type-S?

2. I know that Type-S have a little more horsepower then the base model, but is it a noticable difference?, and what else does it have to offer from the base model?

I want a Tl with the navigation because i plan on adding a dvd player/navi system, and I think since It already has the cut in the panel it will be easier to upgrade to a better screen. Instead of cutting a new hole on the console, I want the inside of the car to look stock.

I found a 03 TL Type-S/with navi system for about 19K with 48K miles on it. I want it to be under 50K miles, I've found what I like about 4 times on autotrader.com, but every time I call the dealer, they tell me they sold it already. Feel like I'm chasing ELEANOR here!

Any info is welcomed, Thank You!
Old 02-18-2007, 01:55 AM
Advanced

1. Navigation is optional with both base or type-s models..
2. Well pretty much..its just more HP in Type S Models..but i haven't felt any difference in a TL-P and Type-S model..but its what i felt..im sure theres other guys here who would know
Old 02-18-2007, 02:01 AM
Advanced

err..correction to #2..more HP and torque in Type S i believe sorry
Old 02-18-2007, 08:34 AM
Registered Charity

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Davinci27
I found a 03 TL Type-S/with navi system for about 19K with 48K miles on it. I want it to be under 50K miles, I've found what I like about 4 times on autotrader.com, but every time I call the dealer, they tell me they sold it already. Feel like I'm chasing ELEANOR here!

Any info is welcomed, Thank You!
Aside from what was mentioned above, the seats are different in an S-Type, and there are other differences -- do a search on Google and you'll find reviews of the two models for the year(s) you're looking at. You can also go to an Acura dealer and check out the two for yourself in the used car lot.

Why do you want it under 50K? This car is going to drive for a LONG time. My mechanic told me 75K was fine, and I bought mine with 95,000 without any hesitation at all. If it was well cared for, it doesn't matter how many miles it had on it.

Armed with the VIN, you can also call Acura customer care to find out about the vehicle. There are known transmission issues with the 2G, so you'll be able to find out if anything was recalled or replaced.

Overall, I've been extremely pleased with mine, and I wouldn't stick to that mileage requirement of yours, or you may continue to find the car is sold before you get to it.

Good luck!
Old 02-18-2007, 10:02 AM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As mentioned above, the second generation TLs have had significant transmission reliability problems. Some forum members have gone through two or more transmissions before reaching 100,000 miles. Spend some time reading about the problems on this forum before buying so that you know what you're getting into.

I didn't let the transmission issues keep me from buying a 1999 TL but I was glad that I knew about the problems before buying.

A search for "transmission" and "failure" will turn up a ton of threads. The "Tranny Failure Thread" is a good one to start with:

https://acurazine.com/forums/wash-wax-23/leather-conditioner-help-106818/

One caution with buying a 2003 TL is that not all of them are covered by the 109,000/93 month extended warranty on the transmission. An out of warranty tranmission replacement can run over $3,000.

Unless it has a salvage title, every 1999 to 2002 TL is covered. Acura apparently thought they fixed the problems part way through the 2003 production run. Many forum members feel that they didn't.

You can find out if a particular 2003 TL has the extended warranty by calling Acura with the VIN number.

It is possible to play DVDs through the stock navigation display. You would need a DVD player and an adapter box for the video signal. And I think you might also need an RF modulator to play the sound through the radio. Search the fourm for more details on that.

Bob
Old 02-18-2007, 10:28 AM
hates the winter

If you are willing to spend 19K as I did, get a "Certified Pre-owned" TL-S from an Acura dealership. You get the remainder of the 7yr 100k powertrain warranty. I haven't needed it yet, but it's nice to know that if my transmission does go, I won't have to shell out $3k for a new one. The 2/05 version of the transmissions don't have any problems. These are great all around cars and I adivise that you do get one.

I suggest one with a spoiler, and if you are lucky the OEM bodykit. You can always purchase those later on though. Good luck and be sure to post pictures when you finally get it.
Old 02-18-2007, 12:44 PM
Intermediate

Go with the Certified Pre-Owned. I picked up mine (2003 TL no navi 48000 Miles) this past Christmas for $14995. That's certicfied which means that you have 12 months/12K bumper to bumper warranty and 7 year/100K powertrain warranty, just in case the transmission goes. Actually I feel that I got a better warranty than on a new car since most of the problems are noticed within the first few months and you also get the roadside assistance for the 12 months/12K. I fell like i got a winner. A clean off lease car with under 50000 miles (that was my requirement too) and save 50% of the sticker price. You cannot beat that. If you want the navi, it will cost you another $1500-$2000 and since I did not care I decided to go with the non navi. My personal advice is this: Look for an acura dealer that has 3 or 4 on the lot that you can compare. Also it seems as the 2nd gen TLs are much cheaper than the 2004+ because of the body style change. Which means mega savings for you. My deler wanted about $23 for a 2004 with the same mileage vs $15 for 2003. He had 4 on the lot (3 non navi and one with navi). Look for it and you will definitely find it.
Old 02-18-2007, 01:46 PM
'02 NBP TL-S

2. Yes, the HP difference in my opinion is noticeable. I have an '02 TL-s which has 260hp but I have also driven an '02 TL-p, which I believe has 225hp. With the TL-s you get "sport" seats which are alot more comfy, a nicer steering wheel, "sport" guages, and of course the Type-S shift knob. I'm sure there are other small touches as well those are just the main ones I can think of.
Old 02-18-2007, 03:45 PM
03' NBP TL-S

get a Type-S. you'll love it even more.
Old 02-18-2007, 06:37 PM
Registered Charity

Just to add to what Leo wrote, I wasn't originally looking for a Type S and didn't want a nav system. Mine came with both and now I wouldn't have it any other way. It's a kick ass car.
Old 02-18-2007, 06:59 PM
Wish

Originally Posted by bryan02TLS
2. Yes, the HP difference in my opinion is noticeable. I have an '02 TL-s which has 260hp but I have also driven an '02 TL-p, which I believe has 225hp. With the TL-s you get "sport" seats which are alot more comfy, a nicer steering wheel, "sport" guages, and of course the Type-S shift knob. I'm sure there are other small touches as well those are just the main ones I can think of.
ok i'm not saying this because i'm biased... because i LOVE THE TYPE S totally .. however here are some corrections....

TYPE S seats are no better then the regular TLP seats.. they just look better... , if ur looking for rearhead rest screens , then TLS headrests are useless.... THE "sports" gauge is no different then the TLP gauge, the colour is WHITE opposed to BLACK lol..... THE SHIFT KNOB is no different either... only has a TYPE S logo on it.. which can easily be replaced with a the TLP one if u really like the look....

THE HP is noticable.... and if ur plannin to mod it.. it is worth it.. if ur looking for nav....don't go for the 2003... get teh 2004... TRUST ME.. BIG DIFFERENCE.. plus 2003 NAV has problems and doesnt' have many features compared to the 04 NAV. Plus like someone said.. u acn always get the factory nav and play videos through it....

the body, shape.. is the same so if ur not going for performance.. get the TLP..

now.. about gettin the OEM kit... GET THE DAMN CAR WITH THE KIT if u want it, don't even thnk abuot getting it later because one, they are discontinued so hard to find, 2, u'll end up spending more money getting it delivered and installed.... 3... dont' make the same mistake as i did

if u can.. save up a bit more... like 2g's.. and get the 04! trust me.. its worth it.. and about the mileage.. these cars go forever.. don't worry about the mileage.. honestly... it doesn't matter if u get a brand new 03 or one with 90,000, they are both just as prone to transmission failure.... keep in mind. the 04 don't have transmission problems...

Old 02-18-2007, 09:21 PM
Instructor

wow, lots of useful info, just what I was looking for.

After reading I got to thinking, getting the Type-S is a MUST. I do plan on modding it, performance wise. The navi system is now something I don't want, i wanted the navi because I figured if it had the opening in the console, once I added the Pioneer AVIC-Z1 it would look more stock.....but then I realized that what am i going to do with the stock stereo?....So I might as well get the non-navi and replacing the stock stereo with the Pioneer.

Body Kit, not sure if you guys have seen(stupid question, course you have) HOVA1222 well thats the exact body kit that I want. That car is BAD...it's my desktop background!!! https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142825

Thanks for all the info!!
Old 02-19-2007, 10:58 AM
Advanced

The biggest difference between between TL-P and TL-S, besides the hp, are the WHEELS. The TL-P come with ugly 16in and TL-S have much better 17in wheels.

You can always upgrade the wheels, but stock i think TL-P wheels are ugly.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:15 AM
Instructor

I struggled with the type S or not decision and test drove the tl-s and tl-p (2003s) back to back a few times, on extended test drives. Coming from a 1994 5-spd Honda Accord EX, they both seemed great, but IMO, the tl-p was much more comfortable to drive ... seats had more cushioning and what seemed to be a slightly softer ride. The differences in power were not that discernable to me, but I didn't really push them to the limits and that wasn't my main criteria. I wanted more luxury and less sport, so the tl-p was my choice. I will say that the white dial guages and the perforated leather on the tl-s were more attractive than what the tl-p has, but comfort was my primary concern. Regardless of the guage color, I think the guages on the '03 models were a few yrs behind regardless. I still really like my tl-p, and have had no major issues so far (about 33K miles in 2 yrs).
Old 02-19-2007, 06:59 PM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I purchased my TL-S Acura certified pre-owned, as the warranty extension w/ extended powertrain coverage did it for me. These cars are completely gone over & all service work/maintenance items are done before you take delivery.

Ask for the paperwork showing what was done before you purchase the car, just to be sure!

Good Luck!
Old 02-19-2007, 11:47 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
The TL-S cost more to insure, attracts more cop attention and has firmer seats.

I got an 01 TL-P with Nav- an unusual combination that works well.
There is a place on this forum that sells kit to play rear camera or dvd on nav screen

Try looking here in Off Topic Black Market Private Sales for people here selling their ride
You can also post for what you are looking for

At 50k miles, these cars are just starting to get their feel for the road.
First big service $ is at 105
At 200 the engine is still fine
Keep up with trans fluid changes and oil changes- thats about all
Upgrade to better brakes and rotors, maybe do the shocks and you are good to go.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:48 AM
8th Gear

I traded a 2000 TL-P for a 2003 TL-S. Driven back to back, the tls has noticeably better acceleration, especially in the upper rpm ranges. The suspension feels stiffer. It has 17" wheels & tires. The breaks feel more responsive. The tlp rides softer and got better mileage.
If you like sport, get the tls. If you want a better ride/mileage, get the tlp.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:53 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
I got an 01 TL-P with Nav- an unusual combination that works well.
There is a place on this forum that sells kit to play rear camera or dvd on nav screen

Link please....I would like to play DVD while Driving.....
Old 02-27-2007, 09:47 PM
04 Black Infiniti I35

I paid 19k for my 2003 tls w 45k miles certified, the car feels brand new (knock on wood).
Its nice to have the piece of mind of a warranty.