Long Island TLS owners - Intake ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2002, 01:13 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Long Island TLS owners - Intake ???

What's up fellas, question on the Injen CAI and bypass valve. Already did a search and couldn't really get a clear cut answer.

Are the TLS owners on Long Island putting bypass valves on their CAI's? Does it affect overall HP gains at the wheel? Any benefit to cutting the 1 pc (cause the 2 pc doesn't fit TLS') and leaving it short with a heat shield hence no need for a bypass?

Thanks
Old 08-02-2002, 01:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Well, I'm not far from LI... and I'd venture to say that almost all of the people from the N.E. who have a CAI have the by-pass. All you need to do is read NSXNEXT's post to see that it's $40 well spent.

There's not proof about it affecting or not affecting HP, some say you lose about 1hp, some say you lose nothing... either way, it's a good investment.

Leaving it as a short ram makes no sense. If you want a short ram, then you should just buy a short ram. A CAI gets more power then a short ram since the filter does not sit in the engine bay.

Here's some reading on the by-pass:
http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...ghlight=bypass

And here's NSXNEXT's thread:
http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showt...?threadid=43924
Old 08-02-2002, 02:14 PM
Instructor

Re: Long Island TLS owners - Intake ???

Originally posted by RobsTL-S
What's up fellas, question on the Injen CAI and bypass valve. Already did a search and couldn't really get a clear cut answer.

Are the TLS owners on Long Island putting bypass valves on their CAI's? Does it affect overall HP gains at the wheel? Any benefit to cutting the 1 pc (cause the 2 pc doesn't fit TLS') and leaving it short with a heat shield hence no need for a bypass?

Thanks
Ok. I need some damn clarification here before I order the intake. RobsTL-S isn't the first person to mention that the 2 piece Injen won't fit in the TL-S. However, I will c/p the text of a message I received from Cuong, the site admin here -- I think:

Yes, you can use the bypass on the InJen and you are correct about the 2pc with bypass. You do not need to cut it since it already comes that way and makes it easier to mount the bypass.

If you have any other questions, feel free to email me.

Regards,

Cuong

So I think Cuong must know what he's talking about, but I just want to be absolutely sure of what I'm getting myself into. I just want to avoid cutting the intake if possible. Otherwise, I'll probably just go with the 1 piece, cut it, add bypass and be done.
Old 08-02-2002, 02:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Re: Long Island TLS owners - Intake ???

Thanks
Well I don't know too much about the Injen, I have the AEM. However, I do have the bypass valve on just for safety. Overall a CAI doesn't add that much HP to the wheels, maybe 1 or 2 at best. By adding the bypass valve maybe your degrading it a little. Either way the gain is too small to notice with or without the bypass. So my suggestion would be add it. You never know when you might be on the LIE during a heavy rain and a section decides to flood!!

-Rich
Old 08-02-2002, 02:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Lightbulb

Paxus... I'd double check with Tim..... I'm 99.5% sure that the 2-piece does not fit the Type-S.... I could be wrong, but that's what I'm remembering....
Old 08-02-2002, 02:28 PM
Advanced

Re: Re: Long Island TLS owners - Intake ???

Originally posted by paxus

So I think Cuong must know what he's talking about, but I just want to be absolutely sure of what I'm getting myself into. I just want to avoid cutting the intake if possible. Otherwise, I'll probably just go with the 1 piece, cut it, add bypass and be done.
Well according to this web site, the Injen 2 piece intake is only listed for the 3.2 TL. There is no indication that it will fit on a Type S. Whereas the 1 piece is listed for TL & TL-S. Tim, can you verify that for us? I agree with Paxus, I don't want to cut the pipe either.
Old 08-02-2002, 02:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Lightbulb

OK... I was going through some old emails while cleaning out the "mailbox".... you have to cut the pipe... the 2 piece will not fit the new TL's. You'll need to buy the one piece and cut it... just like the AEM. If you's still like to confirm wit Tim.... send him an email at sales@acura-tl.com .... that's the quickest way to get a reply as he doesn't check the individual forums too much.

rmarin - you sure it's so low? I remember seeing dynos showing ~6hp to the wheels. Still not a lot... but more then 1hp....
Old 08-02-2002, 06:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by juniorbean
OK... I was going through some old emails while cleaning out the "mailbox".... you have to cut the pipe... the 2 piece will not fit the new TL's. You'll need to buy the one piece and cut it... just like the AEM. If you's still like to confirm wit Tim.... send him an email at sales@acura-tl.com .... that's the quickest way to get a reply as he doesn't check the individual forums too much.

rmarin - you sure it's so low? I remember seeing dynos showing ~6hp to the wheels. Still not a lot... but more then 1hp....
I believe it's somewhere around 1 and 5HP. I saw someone posted a dyno of their car with intake, headers, and exhaust and it came up around 295HP or so at the crank. I figured it tallies to be about 5+30+2 approx. I mean i could be way off here but if memory serves I think its very minimal. Certainly not the 10 to 12HP AEM claims!! Someone please correct me if I'm wrong though!!

-Rich
Old 08-03-2002, 12:10 AM
Advanced

Originally posted by juniorbean
If you's still like to confirm wit Tim.... send him an email at sales@acura-tl.com ....
Just FYI... I emailed the address above and got the mail returned as undeliverable. I emailed info@acura-tl.com instead, hope that makes it through.

I'll let you know what I find out.
Old 08-07-2002, 12:37 PM
Advanced

As per Cuong......

The injen 2 piece intake DOES NOT fit the TL Type-S. TLS owners have to buy the 1 piece and cut it for the bypass. Hope that clears up any confusion we seem to keep having.

looks like I'll be doing some cuttingX!
Old 08-07-2002, 12:52 PM
Instructor

As per Cuong......

The injen 2 piece intake DOES NOT fit the TL Type-S. TLS owners have to buy the 1 piece and cut it for the bypass. Hope that clears up any confusion we seem to keep having.

looks like I'll be doing some cuttingX!
Well Cuong must've been mixed up when he answered my emails. Or maybe I wasn't specific enough about my car specs. Either way, Tim verified that in fact the 2 piece injen does not fit the Type S. You must get the 1 piece and do some cutting.

Having said that, bring on the CAI w/ bypass! Looking forward to my first mod.
Old 08-07-2002, 01:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by rmarin2
I believe it's somewhere around 1 and 5HP. I saw someone posted a dyno of their car with intake, headers, and exhaust and it came up around 295HP or so at the crank. I figured it tallies to be about 5+30+2 approx. I mean i could be way off here but if memory serves I think its very minimal. Certainly not the 10 to 12HP AEM claims!! Someone please correct me if I'm wrong though!!

-Rich
I'm not saying your wrong, but I'm not saying you're right either, although I agree it's not 10-12hp as claimed.....

When you add mods, the gains are not cummulative... meaning, adding Headers and an intake, which, by claims would net around 40HP (let's say 30hp for headers and 10hp for intake if added seperately) does not actually produce 40hp.. the numbers may only dyno at 36hp.

However, if you add each item individually and w/o the other, you may see the advertised gains. As an example, if you added the intake only... you may have show a 10hp gain on a dyno. Then, if you removed the intake and installed the Headers only you would show 30hp. But combined would not ADD up to 40hp.... it may only show 36hp. Does that make any sense? I hope I explained it clearly..... Anyway, just some food for thought.....