Lights & Things

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2003, 12:52 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question Lights & Things

Forgive the dumb questions from a newbie. I purchased a new 03 TLS last month (one day before the DMV tripled, 8 miles then, 900 now) and have a Headlight question. Why would I want to change my low and hi beams? Aren't they HIDS? Are there brighter legal lights that will replace the ones that came with the car?

I also don't understand all the discussion regarding putting different bulbs in the fog lights. Does this make the fogs now driving lights? Any problems with frying the wiring?

Next, it appears there is a preference for CT icebox. Is this an easy install and how does it affect the driving?

CT headers seem fairly expensive, how much do they help or hinder performance, and smooth running of the car? does Jet-hot help these headers?

One last thing, I've seen some discussion on lighter crank pulleys, are these safe for the car? Do they affect long-term durability?
Old 10-26-2003, 01:22 AM
O.G.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1. Only the low beams are HIDs (4200k - whitish), the high beams are regular halogen bulbs. Majority of people on this board upgraded their HID to 6000k. It is not as bright as the oem HIDs but they project a bluish-white light. If you go any higher than 6000k HID, you will need to buy a new ballast that can handle that output because our stock ballast can only handle up to 6000k. And anything above 6000k, you will lose a lot of visibility and it is a definite cop magnet.

2. All the fog lights are just regular halogen bulb. Some people have bought and installed HID fogs (all necessary equipment which will run a few hundreds). While others have bought PIAAs, Polargs, Razo, etc (it will give off HID-like light but not the same)... and got it installed for way less $$$ than a true HID system. I would not recommend anything above 55 watt for fog bulbs cause anything higher you might burn the casing/wires.

3. I have an AEM CAI (cold air intake) which came out way before the ice box. Basically they both draw colder air into the engine bay which helps the engine breathe better which in turn makes the car go faster. IMO, there are no better sound than when VTEC kicks in with a CAI. As far as performance of the ice box goes, I don't know cause I don't have one. But with the CAI, I can definitely feel a rush when VTEC kicks in. BTW, the CAI will give between 5-10 hp. Don't know about the ice box.

4. CT headers will give you the most hp gain (~30 hp) from all the mods, minus the SC. It is pretty expensive (~$1200) for a new one. So do what I did and buy a used one. There are other brands of headers out there but IMO, CT is the best out there. You will hear OBX headers mentioned a lot here cause that is the next choice besides CT. It is much cheaper (I believe ~ $450). But there have been a lot of quality issues about them. Let's not get into another CT/OBX bash cause if you do a search, there will be a ton of info on it. I am a firm believer of you get what you pay for. The headers will not give you any low end torque but oh boy does it give you a rush after VTEC.:wow: Don't know about jet-hot.

5. Crank pulleys are suppose to give you low end torque but don't know how much. I am planning to get them also. But I also have a few questions before I buy them. Basically they will be much lighter than our pulley thereby giving us more torque. If bought and installed right, I don't believe it will affect long term durability. Maybe a person with them can explain better than I can.

Now don't take all this as written in stone. I am sure a lot more people will give their 2 cents in.

BTW, welcome!
Old 10-26-2003, 12:02 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks for the information. So people upgrade their low beams to 6000K HID, what about the high beams, do we change these to HID also? How difficult is upgrading the HI's to HID and is it legal?

By changing the fogs, do people use these converted fogs as driving lights? I know I rarely turn on my fogs (no fog) in my other cars, so why do people change? I can see changing if I would use them as driving lights but it would seem to be defused and not very focused!

CT is just up the road about 75 miles from home, I think I'll stop there and see about headers and the ice box. I'd like to upgrade and improve my car while still keeping the sound level close to stock.

I'm with you on waiting on the pulley, from my searches, this is a very controversial area. Thanks again for your info!
Old 10-27-2003, 10:44 PM
Smitty's Moral Police

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by BlackShadow
1. Only the low beams are HIDs (4200k - whitish), the high beams are regular halogen bulbs. Majority of people on this board upgraded their HID to 6000k. It is not as bright as the oem HIDs but they project a bluish-white light. If you go any higher than 6000k HID, you will need to buy a new ballast that can handle that output because our stock ballast can only handle up to 6000k. And anything above 6000k, you will lose a lot of visibility and it is a definite cop magnet.
I'm confused. I thought 6000k were brighter, are people really just upgrading for the cosemetic blue?
Old 10-28-2003, 12:35 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by unlemming
I'm confused. I thought 6000k were brighter, are people really just upgrading for the cosemetic blue?
Correct. The stock 4200K is a great balance between color (white) and lumens (output). The more you go towards the blue spectrum (like 6000K), the less the lumens. 6000K lights can sometimes look brighter when you look *at* them, but when you look at what they light up, it is less. If you compared the light output of the stock HIDs with 6000Ks with a light meter at a given distance from the car, you'd notice a significant drop in candlepower.

The only real benefit (if you can call it that) is the lights look more "blue." I've never understood that fascination, but to each his/her own.
Old 10-28-2003, 11:43 AM
Rock Star

i just put a 20 pair of ultra white bulbs in my high beams and hid's in my fogs
Old 10-28-2003, 12:06 PM
Burning Brakes

I believe the "Ks" are for color temperature and not for wattage. The higher the color temp, the closer it is to the blue spectrum and therefore looks "whiter" as for any benefits, I'd say none, other than cosmetic. It's the same as the ricers who replace stock halogen bulbs for blue tinted "pseudo-HID" looks which actually just gives more glare to on-coming traffic than actual usable light for the driver. They are of the impression that they have brighter light. They actually only see differently than stock, but not much brighter. The only exception I would make is the Philips/ Sylvania Cool Blue which actually increases the side lumination (most likely euro-spec) of the road ahead (that's why the yellow stripes look lit up). Wattage makes the difference as well as the way the reflector (shiny mirror part on the back of the bulb) was built. Lighting purposes are designed with all these in mind, so therefore you cannot "turn" your foglamps (flood beams) into driving lamps (spot beams) unlesss the whole assembly was altered.

IMO fogs actually need to be in the "yellow" spectrum (rally car drivers can attest to this). As yellow beams can be more visible in actual fog. Replacing them with any other color defeats the "fog" purpose of the lamp and again puts the argument back on wheter you want cosmetic appeal or functionality.

As what pianoman41 stated, there is a good balance between color and lumens and thus the headlight housing was built around these specs.

I'd say leave it in stock. The Icebox on the other hand seems to be a viable addition to an already powerful car.

Also, I'd say enjoy the car as it is right now and gradually modify the things you need along the way. I think you would appreciate the car better that way.

Isn't it nice to be imitated? Sincerest form of flattery.