Lexan Lens Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 07:32 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lexan Lens Conversion

I recently purchased Lexan Lens. I've replace them before, but this time i got a fairly new foglight to replace. the glass has not yet been broken. i was wondering if anyone would know how to remove the glass without actually breaking it? mayb a dryer... some sort of baking possibly? anyone who has done this please let me know. Thank you in advance!

what about blacking them out? anyone got info on that? is it the same as blacked out headlights?
Old 09-22-2008, 09:39 PM
wham bam thank you ma'am

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts
i would like to know that too. my fog light glass is already broken, and getting some condensation
Old 09-22-2008, 10:57 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i dont think you can take it out without breaking the glass, the oem silicone is high temp. so using the oven or something might not work. make sure the groove in the lens is as clean as possible before you re-silicone it. but the lexan lenses are a little thicker than the oem glass, so the metal trim might not clip in the first time. you will have to work it a little.

try doing the conversion before the glass breaks. because once condensation builds inside, the chrome coating starts to corrode and it looks really bad.

hope i helped in some way.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:25 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmm, I was hoping it'd be a relatively easy process to replace the lenses. I'm planning to get HID fogs installed in the next several weeks and have lexan lenses put on for 'em. One of my glass lenses is already cracked but the other is perfect.

I was just going to have the shop that's installing the new fog lights put the lenses on for me... but you guys are saying the only way for them to get the old lenses out is to break them?
Old 09-24-2008, 02:57 PM
Sippy Cup (x2)

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
You could try the same baking technique as for clearing the headlights. I don't think that they would use different silicone for the foglights, but I've never tried it. I had lexan lenses on my old set of foglights (recently bought new OEM ones) and the lexan melted from the inside. I am not sure if I didn't get good quality lexan but I talked to GE (the company that makes lexan) and the guy I spoke with said that there is not really a great solution for that type of problem. I think if my glass ever breaks again, I'll probably just see if I can find a place that can cut me a piece of tempered glass to replace the broken one.
Old 09-24-2008, 03:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^i remember you telling me this before... i also have a cracked foglight lens, but dont think theres any condensation, i just got an HID kit for my fogs... u think its fine to install the HID fogs? ive had the crack in the fog light lens for a long time and nothing has happened...
Old 09-24-2008, 04:51 PM
I have dead hookers in

I just got done replacing my passenger foglight.literally like 5 minutes ago. If you take the foglight out of the bumper the foglight is actually 2 pieces. the actual housing and a black plastic piece help on by 2 little nipples on the side and the adjustment screw take it out(does not pop all the way out and then you have 2 pieces. You will then see how to get the glass lens off. Heat it up just like the headlight clearing procedure and then remove.

Rajca, if your is already broken take that bitch apart and just put a lexan lens in there. Dont have to worry about breaking something thats already broke
Old 09-24-2008, 05:40 PM
(ಠДಠ)

i was thinking of doing the lexan lenses because i didnt know the glass was glass lol... i wetsanded them like i did with my headlights and they look all sand blasted lol... i got HID fogs after that and the output is still awesome, if you're just irritated by looking at the glass, just get like 20mm smoke laminx, the lightoutput shouldnt rly be affected.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:19 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,141 Likes on 816 Posts
Lexan is only a poor man's temporary fix for broken foglight lense. It melts, turns yellow, and easy to scratch from stones and carwashes. So why replace a good foglight lense with something inferior ?
Old 09-24-2008, 07:43 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
Lexan is only a poor man's temporary fix for broken foglight lense. It melts, turns yellow, and easy to scratch from stones and carwashes. So why replace a good foglight lense with something inferior ?
Do you have personal experience with these lenses?

From my searching online, they seem to have an overall positive review from people. I just ordered my lenses off ebay last night as one of my glass lenses is cracked, so I'm looking forward to getting 'em!
Old 09-24-2008, 08:25 PM
(ಠДಠ)

Originally Posted by daNNiebOixDD
I recently purchased Lexan Lens. I've replace them before, but this time i got a fairly new foglight to replace. the glass has not yet been broken. i was wondering if anyone would know how to remove the glass without actually breaking it? mayb a dryer... some sort of baking possibly? anyone who has done this please let me know. Thank you in advance!

what about blacking them out? anyone got info on that? is it the same as blacked out headlights?

don't black out the chrome around the fogs, or the light output is gonna be shitty.
Old 09-24-2008, 08:36 PM
wham bam thank you ma'am

my chrome started to corroded inside, should i paint them ssm (same color as my car)? chrome paint?
Old 09-24-2008, 09:16 PM
Tri State ViP Crew

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by vivftp
Do you have personal experience with these lenses?

From my searching online, they seem to have an overall positive review from people. I just ordered my lenses off ebay last night as one of my glass lenses is cracked, so I'm looking forward to getting 'em!
i change my lenses with lexan and they started to melt after a while if you have a broke glass get new ones i did and had no problem with them for a year now and the price is much better than dealer
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PAIR-...mZ280270189381
Old 09-24-2008, 09:25 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by CAB NY
i change my lenses with lexan and they started to melt after a while if you have a broke glass get new ones i did and had no problem with them for a year now and the price is much better than dealer
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PAIR-...mZ280270189381
Out of curiousity, were you using the normal foglights + lexan lenses, or did you have something like HID foglights + lexan lenses?

Melting lenses was one of my biggest concerns about this whole thing which is one of the reasons I'm going to have HID fogs installed as they produce a lot less heat.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:50 PM
Tri State ViP Crew

i was using the factory bulbs when they started to melt and I bought a new set of fog lenses and added the HIDs but the lexan to me are not worth it they are not a good fit they are straight the fog are curved and could be messy with the seal for the after market fog price it worth it from Ebay and just add rockblocker

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ght=lens+lexan
Old 09-24-2008, 10:05 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by CAB NY
i was using the factory bulbs when they started to melt and I bought a new set of fog lenses and added the HIDs but the lexan to me are not worth it they are not a good fit they are straight the fog are curved and could be messy with the seal for the after market fog price it worth it from Ebay and just add rockblocker

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ght=lens+lexan
I've heard of some people having issues with the lexan lenses not fitting properly, but that's just becaues the ones they got weren't cut properly and required some filing. I haven't read anything about them not fitting because of the fact that the lenses are straight and the fogs are curved.

Anyways, the lenses I ordered off ebay are from Nydesi80 on these forums, and he seemed to have overall positive feedback from people here so I figured why not

These days I find that I like to drive with my fogs on at night, so I should be racking up a lot of hours with them on. I'm hoping the lexan + HID fog combo will work out.

Also from reading older threads on the issue, it appears that back in the day when he started, Nydesi80 was using a lesser grade type of lexan then he's using now, with the new one being a lot more scratch resistant and whatnot. Could it be that a lot of people with issues had purchased lenses made of the inferior grade of lexan?
Old 09-24-2008, 10:27 PM
Tri State ViP Crew

some people had no problem using the lexan lenses but i did but with the HIDs they are cooler so you shouldn't have any problems just be careful putting on the silicone don't put to much and smear it on the lens
Old 09-24-2008, 10:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
theres different grades of the lens, its all called lexan by ge, but theres different applications, forgot the exact code, but the ones u should be using is weather resistant and heat, theres plenty DIYs to tell u the exact name, so thats why i bet urs turned to shit like that
Old 09-24-2008, 10:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Rajca
my chrome started to corroded inside, should i paint them ssm (same color as my car)? chrome paint?
i did mine abp, chrome was fine but wanted diff, output of the light will be affected a bit, but if u use ur fogs for show only who cares, if u have an HID kit, u will barely lose output.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:44 PM
Clemson Tiger

Originally Posted by MurdaZ
i did mine abp, chrome was fine but wanted diff, output of the light will be affected a bit, but if u use ur fogs for show only who cares, if u have an HID kit, u will barely lose output.
Can you post a pic of the abp fog? One of my civic fogs had a bad seal so it got water inside and the chrome corroded
Old 09-24-2008, 10:47 PM
Racer

yeah, that is one of the things I'm worried about. My passenger side lens is cracked and there's condensation in there, but I don't really know how bad it is behind there.

I'm having a shop install my HID fog kit so I'm going to have them replace the lenses while they're at it. If the chrome inside the foglight is corroded, what should I do? Will it not matter much because I am getting HID fogs? Is there a product I should get for them to use? Is this the sort of thing your average shop is equiped to fix?
Old 09-24-2008, 10:54 PM
wham bam thank you ma'am

it just looks ugly if its corroded and u have hid fogs. during the day youll hate your self for not fixing the corrosion.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:09 PM
Racer

it just looks ugly if its corroded and u have hid fogs. during the day youll hate your self for not fixing the corrosion.
Ok... so what's the best way to fix it?

Really, for all I know there's no corrosion in there, and until the cracked lens comes off I won't know. Any suggestions on the best way to fix the corrosion would be appreciated so that I can at least be ready for the big moment.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:04 AM
wham bam thank you ma'am

im gonna paint mine ssm.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:42 AM
Meridian

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
im gonna paint mine ssm.
that would look pretty good, go for it!
Old 09-25-2008, 09:31 AM
Racer

I have the lexan lenses, I cut them myself for under 10$ total, much easier to swallow if they do fade or crack, but it has been over a year and half anf they loog great. Yes, they do have different grades and the one i bought said hurricane and heat resistant. I bought 2 of the smaller sheets, $4 a piece and a tube of high-temp clear silicone and cut them out using the fog light housing as a template and a jigsaw. If you take your time anybody can do this and save the $50 plu shipping on them. And to answer the curved/not fitting questions - the lexan i bought curved quite easy to the eaxct shape of the foglight housing and i just used regular clamps with rubber pads to clamo them down over night till the silicone hardened. to get the shape right - take out your fog light housing and turn it upside down onto the white paper backing on the lexan and just trace it onto the paper with a pencil. Better to go a shade on the ouside and have it be big and trim it down than not big enough. after that i just cleaned out the channel where the lens sits in the housing really well and put in the new silicone, press the lense in after dryfitting it and knowing it was good to go, clamp it down, let it dry...
the next morning they were solid and its been over a year with no problems for like $10.
on the inside of mine i cleaned them up with a brillo pad and then sanded and painted the inside with some mirrored reflective spraypaint.
give it a shot for the money and like an hour of your time on a saturday in the garage for under $10 - not bad at all.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:43 AM
Racer

by the way heres 2 crappy pics from a camera phone - one is the sheet of lexan i bought. each sheet is just big emough for one foglight, $4 a piece at Home Creepo,
the second is after i painted and installed the nice new clear lexan and clamped it down.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:43 AM
Racer

Old 09-25-2008, 11:17 AM
I have dead hookers in

If you are looking for lexan to replace it the best kind you can find is MR-10. it is really thick and strong.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:58 PM
wham bam thank you ma'am

how thick should teh lexan be? um using some 1/4 pexi glass from my custom trunk work and it is not bendable. in lexan different from plexi glass?
Old 09-25-2008, 02:03 PM
I have dead hookers in

1/4 inch should be thick enough. Im not sure about the stuff you are using but the 1/4 inch thick MR10 lexan was like 250X stronger than glass or something crazy like that. It also has UV protection
Old 09-25-2008, 02:05 PM
I have dead hookers in

Originally Posted by chrismeoli
by the way heres 2 crappy pics from a camera phone - one is the sheet of lexan i bought. each sheet is just big emough for one foglight, $4 a piece at Home Creepo,
the second is after i painted and installed the nice new clear lexan and clamped it down.

thats alot of goop. does that show up when you put the silver foglight frame on?
Old 09-25-2008, 02:18 PM
wham bam thank you ma'am

and i can pick it up at home depot? menards? ace hardware?
Old 09-25-2008, 04:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

yes thats what it is, mr-10, used same thing too, a small sheet was like 10 dollars

pic

other pic to big to post, shows the housing only
http://i26.tinypic.com/5xsgpi.jpg

only thing i may do is paint the silver trim to abp or black...something dark

and one more thing i want to point out, go easy on the silicone, but at the same time make sure u get it all in the right areas, if u put too much, and as the pic above, the glue gets pushed into the housing, the trim can only cover up so much, i messed up couple of time but eventually got it.

everything can be picked up at homedepot or hardware store. bought the indoor/outdoor GE clear silicone.

Last edited by MurdaZ; 09-25-2008 at 04:50 PM.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:50 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,141 Likes on 816 Posts
Originally Posted by MurdaZ
theres different grades of the lens, its all called lexan by ge, but theres different applications, forgot the exact code, but the ones u should be using is weather resistant and heat, theres plenty DIYs to tell u the exact name, so thats why i bet urs turned to shit like that
Can someone look up the code for this weather & heat resistant Lexan ?
Old 09-25-2008, 05:48 PM
I have dead hookers in

MR-10(that is the code persay).....thats what it is designed for. Just go to the hardware store and buy sheets of it and cut it.
Old 09-26-2008, 07:52 AM
Racer

yeah the goop does not show up when the metal trim goes on.
Old 09-27-2008, 07:03 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wow this is alot of useful information! cant wait to put these babies on. anyone have a DIY for a way to black out the foglights??
Old 09-27-2008, 07:18 PM
I have dead hookers in

Originally Posted by daNNiebOixDD
wow this is alot of useful information! cant wait to put these babies on. anyone have a DIY for a way to black out the foglights??