Lexan Fog Lense Review....

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 12:06 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts
Lexan Fog Lense Review....

A while back we had a thread about changing the glass fog lamp lense to Lexan because of it's durability. After hearing the praises I decided to change mine. It's been about 8 months since my Lexan install. I'm changing out my lenses again.

My fogs have been collecting condensation for about 4 months now. I decided to take them off and see WTF!

-The silicone sealant recommended had turned into CRUST. I assume that it just couldn't handle the heat from the lamp. Also one lense had a crease on the back side. Again, I assume that the heat is just too much for this plastic. This must be why our TL's have plastic headlamp lenses but GLASS foglamp lenses.

-My solution is to re-seal the lenses back together with a higher temp silicone after I polish them. However, I do plan to purchase the factory glass housings from Acura in the next few weeks. I know that they are quite expensive.

FINAL NOTE.... The Lexan replacement lenses are a great inexpensive fix to cracked glass. But they are not a lasting replacement to the factory glass lenses.
I would like to see how the glass lenses would hold up with a protective film over them.

Please write your comments and experience with the Lexan swap or any other foglamp mod that might work well.

Thanks.
Old 01-12-2006, 12:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I put the Xpel film over my fogs and headlights when my car was new and have logged 103k miles since then without a broken lens. I dont know why this simple preventative measure isnt adopted by more of you on this forum. The film kit is so inexpensive in comparision to the $300 or so Acura charges for a new lamp assembly.

UNCALD4: are you saying you removed perfectly good glass on your fogs to install Lexan? or were your lenses already broken at the time you did this?

Originally Posted by uncald4
....I would like to see how the glass lenses would hold up with a protective film over them.

Please write your comments and experience with the Lexan swap or any other foglamp mod that might work well.

Thanks.
Old 01-12-2006, 01:11 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 2002AcuraTL
UNCALD4: are you saying you removed perfectly good glass on your fogs to install Lexan? or were your lenses already broken at the time you did this?
Nah... I had a fatty crack in one of the lenses. Looked like somebody shot it out. Thanks for the info on that film. I will definately look into it. Could you post a link to the place that you purchased it?
Old 01-12-2006, 01:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

The Xpel kit is part number H1216. Try this linky for Xpel's site: www.Xpel.com
Old 01-12-2006, 02:06 PM
Former Sponsor

The Xpel kit is part number H1216. Try this linky for Xpel's site: www.Xpel.com
Awesome!!
Old 01-12-2006, 02:22 PM
Chloe @ 17mo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did it last year. Perhaps six month ago? I haven't noticed anything. Though something else did occur. I bought a set of yellow film for the fog lens from Chad @ Rockblocker and after the first week, the film kinda "bubbled". I suspect that it either couldn't handle the heat from the bulb or there were trapped air that got heated up.

I'll check out the Lexan this weekend and tell you if we have the same problem.
Old 01-12-2006, 03:05 PM
Sippy Cup (x2)

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
I also installed Lexan Lens after my glass lens were cracked. I used a high temp clear silicone so I haven't had any problems with the silicone or condensation. But I have noticed that the center of the lens has started to look like it is melting a little. It's only noticeable if you get down there and look at it but there is definitely a little area where it is melting directly in front of the bulb. I was wondering if I installed them backwards or something like that, but I normally pay pretty close attention when I am working on my car.
Old 01-12-2006, 03:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

I dont think Lexan has a "Front" and "back" side that would make one side more imprevious to heat than the other. Maybe you had something on the plastic lens when you installed it, like oil from your fingers, and thats caused heat build up over time.
I replaced one of my Xpel lens covers over the summer because it started to develop a brown 'burn' mark in the center over time, while the one on the other side was still fine. I suspect there was a little too much soap in the soap/alcohol solution I had mixed up when I originally applied the Xpel film. It took about 3 years for this to happen so even something subtle could eventually effect appearance.

Originally Posted by snowman81
.... I was wondering if I installed them backwards or something like that, but I normally pay pretty close attention when I am working on my car.
Old 01-12-2006, 03:40 PM
Agean Blue Bishes

wow. i used regular silicone and lexan and havn't had a problem in a year. lenses still look crystal clear and no water leaking at all.

i ran halogens for 2 months then went with hids

both with no metal peice around the bulb.
Old 01-12-2006, 04:07 PM
Former Sponsor

there is definitely a little area where it is melting directly in front of the bulb. I was wondering if I installed them backwards or something like that, but I normally pay pretty close attention when I am working on my car.
My lenses also have a "melted" apprearence. How often do you folk have your fogs on? I have my fogs on 100% of the time. After the silicone re-do today I've also noticed that the lenses are quite pitted.
Old 01-12-2006, 06:13 PM
Sippy Cup (x2)

I dont think Lexan has a "Front" and "back" side that would make one side more imprevious to heat than the other. Maybe you had something on the plastic lens when you installed it, like oil from your fingers, and thats caused heat build up over time.
I replaced one of my Xpel lens covers over the summer because it started to develop a brown 'burn' mark in the center over time, while the one on the other side was still fine. I suspect there was a little too much soap in the soap/alcohol solution I had mixed up when I originally applied the Xpel film. It took about 3 years for this to happen so even something subtle could eventually effect appearance.
Yeah, maybe it was oil or something then...I was kind of surprised when I saw that there and it was after only a couple months.

My lenses also have a "melted" apprearence. How often do you folk have your fogs on? I have my fogs on 100% of the time. After the silicone re-do today I've also noticed that the lenses are quite pitted.
I also have my fogs on 100% of the time. As long as my headlights are on, my fogs are on. Where did you get yours from. I wonder if it has something to do with the quality of the material...if that's even possible.
Old 01-12-2006, 08:43 PM
Former Sponsor

I also have my fogs on 100% of the time. As long as my headlights are on, my fogs are on. Where did you get yours from. I wonder if it has something to do with the quality of the material...if that's even possible.
I bought mine off ebay from a member here who specializes in these lenses. They were only $50 bucks. Raj is his name, I think. BTW... He offers a really good product. Very inexpensive alternative to buying a replacement housing from Acura.

I think that the quality was just fine. I just reckon that expecting plastic to do the same job as glass was a bit dumb on my part.
Old 01-12-2006, 08:48 PM
Sippy Cup (x2)

I bought mine off ebay from a member here who specializes in these lenses. They were only $50 bucks. Raj is his name, I think. BTW... He offers a really good product. Very inexpensive alternative to buying a replacement housing from Acura.

I think that the quality was just fine. I just reckon that expecting plastic to do the same job as glass was a bit dumb on my part.
Yep, same person I bought mine from. I wonder if it's the quality then. Other member say they have no problems with their lexan lens but we both bought from the same person and both had problems. I do agree it's a great alternative, as long as you don't have to replace them every year. I don't know the guy other than buying the lenses but he seemed to be very helpful.
Old 01-13-2006, 12:28 AM
Former Sponsor

Yep, same person I bought mine from. I wonder if it's the quality then. Other member say they have no problems with their lexan lens but we both bought from the same person and both had problems. I do agree it's a great alternative, as long as you don't have to replace them every year. I don't know the guy other than buying the lenses but he seemed to be very helpful.
I think that Raj offers a very good product at a great price. I think we can agree on a few things though...

-This is not a perminent replacement for the factory glass lenses.
-Because the Lexan cannot withstand constant high heat, you must not run your foglamps all the time.
-We learned our lesson. Glass is glass and plastic is plastic.
Old 01-13-2006, 02:29 AM
2Poor 2Furious

Originally Posted by demolition_x
both with no metal peice around the bulb.
Maybe the metal piece has something to do with it? I could see the metal piece directing the heat forward towards the lenses rather than evenly sideways, causing a hotspot directly in front of the bulb.
Old 01-17-2006, 11:59 AM
Chloe @ 17mo

Here's the update on my Lexan lenses.

It's fine, but the Rockblocker Yellow films aren't. I guess I haven't been paying attention but there're now burn spot on each of the film. I don't know if they've melted onto the Lexan (sucks if it did), but I will have to remove the films. I'll see if I can take a few pics and post them.
Old 01-17-2006, 01:24 PM
Agean Blue Bishes

yea becareful on the lexan it does scratch pretty easy from when i made my lenses.
Old 01-17-2006, 04:09 PM
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
Mine collects condensation on a humid day... It won't fog up if I wash the car, and even use a pressure washer on the lense... But on a humid/rainy day, moisture will collect, and only when I turn on the lights...

My guess is that there must be a leak around the bulb seal, and the heat causes the moisture to get sucked into the chamber... I really don't know...

It doesn't collect moisture otherwise... Like I mentioned, pressure washing, rain, etc...no fogging whatsoever... but when I turn the lights on in humid weather...look out...

My solution? I don't use the fog lights... I never really used them before my original glass lenses cracked, so I figure I'll just keep going... At least the Lexan lenses look nice and won't crack...
Old 01-18-2006, 12:25 AM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
I've had my Lexan on for 2+ years and bought it from Raj as well, with no problems. To the few of you having melt down problems, what bulbs you guys are using. The housing was meant for 55W Halogen and I know some of us on this forum use higher output bulbs and that most likely is the culprit for the melt.

Second there is a heatshield in your fog lamps, make sure that piece didn't open up or crack causing too much heat to beam on the lens.

I must add that his product and service is top notch for someone that is on eBay. I was quite impressed. He defenitely gets my approval.
Old 01-18-2006, 12:58 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Elegant TYPE S
I must add that his product and service is top notch for someone that is on eBay. I was quite impressed. He defenitely gets my approval.
Werd!!

I think that we all need a bit more education about this lense swap. I was using PIAA bulbs for most off the Lexan life. This definately caused the warpage in my lenses.

I am very please with the performance of the Lexan lenses but I will not use them on my car again. The Lexan definately pits and scratches too easily. Also too sensative to heat..... as plastic usually is.
Old 01-19-2006, 01:08 AM
Advanced

is there another size bulb that you can fit in there that would be of lower wattage??
Old 01-31-2006, 04:35 PM
Chloe @ 17mo

Originally Posted by AsianRage
Here's the update on my Lexan lenses.

It's fine, but the Rockblocker Yellow films aren't. I guess I haven't been paying attention but there're now burn spot on each of the film. I don't know if they've melted onto the Lexan (sucks if it did), but I will have to remove the films. I'll see if I can take a few pics and post them.
So I finally took the yellow films off and found that the Lexan lense did melt. It turns out that the film got hazed up from the heat and inturn hid the melting spot on the Lexan. :

So anyway, my dad suggested that I go to a glass shop and get some glass precut and replace the melted Lexan. And then, I could put a layer of Yellow Film on top to prevent future "crackages".

What do you guys think? Certainly is do able and probably will be cheaper to get. Has anyone thought about Polycarbonate? My prescription glass utilizes it and it's pretty scratch resistant too.
Old 01-31-2006, 05:29 PM
Chloe @ 17mo

I was using PIAA bulbs for most off the Lexan life. This definately caused the warpage in my lenses.
Interesting..... I was using Luminics JDM Yellow bulbs.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:27 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by AsianRage
So anyway, my dad suggested that I go to a glass shop and get some glass precut and replace the melted Lexan.
What do you guys think?

The only prob with that is bending the GLASS to the right curve of the fog lamp housing.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:21 PM
Chloe @ 17mo

The only prob with that is bending the GLASS to the right curve of the fog lamp housing.
The lexan pieces didn't have that bend though....

HOw much does the OEM pieces cost anyway?
Old 02-01-2006, 02:18 PM
運転することを愛

There was a crack on one side of my fogs so I just remade one out of high quality plexiglass myself. Took like an hour and hasn't leaked at all. Matches the other one perfectly.