Legend Caliper owners please talk to me.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 03:14 PM
Your Garage

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
does anyone know the difference between friction ready caliper and loaded caliper?
Old 07-04-2009, 05:13 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
loaded means comes with pads and all the clips, caliper and bracket, probably assembled and ready to bolt in place
BUT you dont usually want their pads- having gone with aftermarket rotors and performance pads if doing the caliper upgrade

friction ready means pads are seperate purchase

Never believe pics- for a long time kragen had a rear caliper pic for the dual piston fronts!
if you use the part numbers I provided you will get the caliper and bracket- strip the metal clips and bolts off the legend bracket and install them on the TL bracket
Paint the calipers black before install- or your color choice

The parts store actually prefers getting the TL caliper as a core- they rebuild it and sell to someone with a TL that doesnt know about the upgrade!
To the parts store- the TL calipers have more `resale abilty/value in terms of units they can sell-
they dont turn them down as core- its a honda caliper, not some rusted out crud you got at the wreckers and turned in~
Not many 95 legend owners buying calipers,, compared to gen2 TL needing calipers now.
Not as many legends on the road
Old 07-04-2009, 05:17 PM
Team Owner

when I returned the new brackets with the old calipers the clerk said- what are these for?
so the issue of them debating the type of caliper you should be returning is far fetched
Old 07-04-2009, 09:35 PM
B A N N E D

Location: The grande.. Riverdale NJ.. Hopefully moving to skyline village in Lincoln park NJ..yes dirty jersey
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
WOW alot of daul piston brake post poping up lately...
I just ordered my NSX calipers yesterday.
I ordered 1996 ACURA NSX 3.0L 2977cc V6 MFI [C30A1]
ACDELCO 18FR2145
ACDELCO 18FR2146

They were not shipped yet and are backordered so it said shipes within 5 days..
I Cant wait to do this upgrade cuz I soo sick of warping these rotors all-ready.
I got some EBC green pads and got these rotors comming in and prob gonna go with DBA rotors or EBC and I am set..

Thank u again 01tl04tl for all the help on the subject!
Old 07-05-2009, 02:13 PM
Team Owner

what help?- you ignored the reality of the part many are using, came up with some far fetched theories of your own of how it works with pressures, STILL blame the calipers for your cheap OE Warpmasters rotor prob....

If you wanted really good brakes you would see what many of us are using- a few top choices appear--many buy RacingBrake rotors and ET500 pads from MrHeelToe
or Rotora from Excelerate
with legend calipers - or even your nsx calipers with its smaller diameter pistons- will stop the way it should

You are the test pilot for these mods- let us know how it works!
See if a ziner in your area has the legends and do a heads up stop and repeated high speed slow downs to compare
Old 07-05-2009, 08:50 PM
B A N N E D

Location: The grande.. Riverdale NJ.. Hopefully moving to skyline village in Lincoln park NJ..yes dirty jersey
Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
what help?- you ignored the reality of the part many are using, came up with some far fetched theories of your own of how it works with pressures, STILL blame the calipers for your cheap OE Warpmasters rotor prob....

If you wanted really good brakes you would see what many of us are using- a few top choices appear--many buy RacingBrake rotors and ET500 pads from MrHeelToe
or Rotora from Excelerate
with legend calipers - or even your nsx calipers with its smaller diameter pistons- will stop the way it should

You are the test pilot for these mods- let us know how it works!
See if a ziner in your area has the legends and do a heads up stop and repeated high speed slow downs to compare

I did not ignore anything anyone said, I just wanted to go with the NSX over the legend calipers so the piston that is suppose to be first is first without having the bleeder up-side down and that the only reason I went w/NSX calipers. I am sure they are gonna stop the same as the legend calipers if any better or worste its not gonna be by much with the diff in peston sizes being 2mm. I took all the info u put out there into consideration, I called a bunch of places around me to see if I can find the legend calipers local but could not and the NSX calipers where only $50 more for both after shipping so thats that!
Old 07-05-2009, 08:53 PM
B A N N E D

BTW i think the calipers have a little to do w/dza warping cuz i had 3 diff companes of solid rotors warp. If it was only OEM then maybee the rotor was the only part to blame but i think some of the problem is with the calipers they used to stop this front heavy FWD car!
Old 07-06-2009, 01:48 AM
Team Owner

its not the rotors!!!- exactly what brands did you use? racingbrake- rotora- ebc??
or kragens chinese metal or zone or...
quality counts!! and the pads matter
How you drive makes a differance too

The caliper pressure distribution to pad isnt going to change the mettalurgy of the rotor
and its ability to heat cycle and maintain shape

the issue causing the L-R install is because the legend had the calipers on the rear of the strut and the TL on the front, so you turn them around
Its not a big deal and the small differance in piston diameter for leading edge piston doesnt play out in real life braking with a TL
Its not a supercar!

but as you said- its your car- let us know how it works
maybe you are onto something!!
or maybe the store will say- heyyy these are not NSX calipers you are returning

I know from here and asking the manager at kragen about TL caliper cores for Legends and he said they like the TL calipers- for the resaleabilty mentioned before
Old 07-06-2009, 04:59 AM
Thread Police Chief

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
maybe the store will say- heyyy these are not NSX calipers you are returning
Ever seen "Arby 'n The Chief"? I can totally see Master Chief saying this

Whatsup with all the brake threads lately? Nearly every possible relevant piece of information has been covered on both sets of calipers, as well as questions.

Search.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:02 PM
B A N N E D

After I get the calipers I am gonna call them and see what they say, If they will not refund my core charge oh-well its $60 I prob can end up selling them for that much.
BTW the rotors I warped was OEM, Wagner and Centric I belive.. NO E-bay no name brands.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:02 PM
Team Owner

you nailed it adam- people are afraid of the search feature, or just like to start a new thread
I cannot count the number of times I have posted the part numbers and complete directions- even pics of the calipers so you can see the very slight differance in piston size wont matter on the TL

I did notice the nsx calipers have cooling vanes on the top like a motorcycle engine- more direct air cooling for their more aggressive use in that car,,,lightweight car, fast and heavy braking fun- it was meant to play hard and long
So much so that they put the calipers behind the strut for even more structure
Old 07-06-2009, 12:06 PM
Team Owner

oe wagner and centric ptttttttttttt
may have well been OE,, for the quality of those (centric usually ok)

Now you have some well tested names to try- as our suggestions are based on personal experience with no warpage under heavy use or normal use

Even if the place says they wont take the caliper cores (on the phone) go ahead and send them back- the person receiving them opens the box and see's calipers- ok- strip them and throw in the rebuild pile of parts