LED for odometer

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2002, 10:35 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LED for odometer

Anyone interested in the LED for your instrumental cluster (odometer LCD, the one that shows milages etc). There are three LEDs back there. I modified the stock socket and fitted 3 super green LED..so if you replace with them, yours will be brilliant green instead of that pale yellow/white stock color. It's like the blue I have on awhile back (pics in the TLS forum) but the green one will be brighter, more brilliant than blue.

No pics yet...will soon.

I only have 1 set. My cost is $20 for parts...$25 shipped to you?
LED is like $4.xx a piece plus resistor and socket so that's where the $20 comes in....It took me like 2 hours or so to do the mod to put the LED soldered in...so free labor to you

I'm selling it cuz I want to try a different color. No i won't make anymore and sell anymore..cuz it's a pain in the a**
Old 11-13-2002, 11:13 AM
Instructor

Can you give me some instructions on doing that if you dont mind. I started on the Fogs, Cruise, and Sunroof but only got the Sunroof done. I broke the fog switch so I have to get that replaced luckily its only like $23. For some reason whenever I do the a switch only one of the bulbs would work. I think I might have messed up the resistor for I am using the surface mount ones. Those damn things are tiny! I wanted to do mines all white but because of that paint on the inside of the buttons, my bulbs come out blue. You have any idea how to fix that? I even tried scrathing off the paint on the inside but it doesnt come out clean. Thanks
Old 11-13-2002, 02:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

Check if your led is still working. May be your soldering is off and the connection is not complete? Check with the multimeter. Also the LED is directional. You have to match the right positive/negative terminals. Try switching the bulb around and see if that will work also. What i did with mine was NOT on the cruise/sun roof buttons but on the instrumental cluster itself..the bulb on the instrumental cluster is diff than that of your cruise/sunroof buttons. What I did was basically just soldering the led into the base of the socket. Takes time and a little skill (experience) to get it right. As you might have known, the stock socket/bulb is expensive as hell..like $11/piece so becareful when you hack into it..cuz it might be an expensive replacement
BTW, scraping off the paint is a bad, bad idea. 1st, you can't go back if you scape it off (and messed up). I would just leave the paint there and put the superbright LED behind it...it will shine through.
Old 11-13-2002, 04:57 PM
Instructor

The LEDs work when I tested it with the meter thing. I got the directions and everthing down. The only reason I think is I toasted the resistor. On my cruise 2 of 3 worked and 1 of 2 on the sunroof. So i just put the working ones into the sunroof. I havent had the time to do anymore, maybe this weekend. Hopefully Ill do everything eventually. Theres also this one site I found on A-CL that has Acura parts for a better price www.acuraautomotiveparts.net The socket/bulb things are like $1+ but there was there was this one in the fog light switch that cost $9! Dont really matter because my stock bulbs are still in good condition and I guess I can put them back if I ever wanted to. They do have different power levels though and I dont remeber which bulb goes to what. I only scraped the paint on the fog switch cuz I broke it already. I didnt try it on anything else. Just wanted White instead of blue. But I guess Ill have to live with it.
Old 11-13-2002, 06:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

my pics of the mod here..check it out.

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...769#post998769
Old 11-13-2002, 10:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

If you can make me a kit for the super blue color I'll but it from you
Old 11-13-2002, 10:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Snapple
If you can make me a kit for the super blue color I'll but it from you
Sorry dude..ain't going to make no more..it takes a long time..so I'm selling just what i have. AT COST..can't beat that..if no buyer, I'll just use it for other places in the instrumental cluster cuz all the bulb/sockets are the same there.
Old 11-13-2002, 11:30 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by randomwalk101
my pics of the mod here..check it out.

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...769#post998769
I have to sign up.. eBay the suckers u will get more money
Old 11-13-2002, 11:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by 2004TL

I have to sign up.. eBay the suckers u will get more money
nah, i'm not in for the $$... just wanted to pass it on to those who wanted..otherwise, i just use it at other places on the guage. Man, there are a lot of bulbs on that guage..if replace them all with superbright LED, that'll be mucho $$ ($4.xx per LED) :wow:
Old 11-13-2002, 11:48 PM
Instructor

BTW what kind of LEDs you use and where you get them? So far Ive been gettin mine from ebay. 1sumthing each but I dont think theyre that bright.
Old 11-14-2002, 11:22 AM
Advanced

randomwalk101,

Does your set replace the whole speedometer window?

behind that whole glass? (don't know what's it's called)
Old 11-14-2002, 12:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by AcAttack
randomwalk101,

Does your set replace the whole speedometer window?

behind that whole glass? (don't know what's it's called)

replace the whole thing?? you have got to be joking me. Contact Honhol (or whatever)...he's the one who pionier this and replaced the WHOLE thing. Costed $500 plus!!! Ain't going to be $20!!!! No, this is only 3 LEDs (green) to replace your stock halogen bulbs behind the cluster. Basically it's a twist, remove, replace twist and you're done. Of course you have to take the instrumental cluster out..see FAQ section on how. Very simple to do.
BTW, I replied to your PM on the cost..it's actually costed me like $22 something for parts alone. If you guys wants different color, you guys should just buy some LEDs and do it..it's time consuming but heck..i can do it..you can do it. Expect about 30mins per LED mod behind the instrumental cluster though..cuz you have to file down the socket, solder in the resistors, flatten the head for even light dispersion etc...takes a lot of time.

TLegenGS: The bulb used is SUPER BRIGHT. They are the most expensive LED available. Yes there are cheaper, non super bright bulb..but dim as hell.. Kinda of defeating the purpose using cheap stuffs like OEM did. If you do it, do it right.
Old 11-14-2002, 10:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Hey didn't you do the whole dash with LED's? or was that someone else.
Old 11-15-2002, 08:39 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Originally posted by randomwalk101
Contact Honhol (or whatever)...he's the one who pionier this and replaced the WHOLE thing.
Actually Nate did this way before Hchhon did it. Do a search. This guy ripped apart his entire interior to make every bulb blue.