Leather Conditioning.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 10:44 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leather Conditioning.

I have a real tiny cut on the rear bench seat. is there any way to seal it or something. cus i'm afraid it'll get worse as time goes on.
Old 02-17-2005, 11:30 PM
MIA

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Keep the leather conditioned and out of sunlight to keep it from getting worse. If you have a dark interior, condition once or twice every two weeks in the spring through fall and once a month in winter. Light interiors can get away with less conditioner, but it wouldn't hurt to condition them as often as the dark interior requires.

I'm not sure whether or not the cut can be sealed. Have you tried calling any car shops that specialize in leather and interiors to ask if it could be done and around how much it would cost?
Old 02-18-2005, 06:46 AM
Intermediate

It will get worst.

If the seat is used, it will certainly get worst.

If the cut is in the vinyl parts, the cut will get worst faster than if it were on leather.

For the money saving route, I would suggest you purchase a leather repair kit to "patch" it. You can get one from Lordco if you live in Canada or just google "leather repair kit" and you will see many sites that offer a product.
Just make sure you get the correct kit for leather or vinyl (you can tell by looking at the grain whether there is an artificially consistent pattern).

For the optimal route, you can visit a "trim shop." What they will do is take out your seat, and remove the entire panel of leather and re-sew a brand new piece of leather into the seat. This is the best option, and it can be done for cheaper than you might think.

My driver seat started to crack a little bit on the vinyl sidings. It got progressively worst, and then I decided to take it to the trim shop. They replaced the vinyl with leather for 150 bucks Canadian. Awesome. Looks like new.
Old 02-18-2005, 10:23 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dow Jones
If the seat is used, it will certainly get worst.

If the cut is in the vinyl parts, the cut will get worst faster than if it were on leather.

For the money saving route, I would suggest you purchase a leather repair kit to "patch" it. You can get one from Lordco if you live in Canada or just google "leather repair kit" and you will see many sites that offer a product.
Just make sure you get the correct kit for leather or vinyl (you can tell by looking at the grain whether there is an artificially consistent pattern).
Does the repair kit really work? I have a small tear on the drivers side and I'm not to eager to damage the leather or make a mess with adhesives and stuff. It would be nice to "fill/cover" the tear.
Old 02-18-2005, 10:29 AM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bello425
Does the repair kit really work? I have a small tear on the drivers side and I'm not to eager to damage the leather or make a mess with adhesives and stuff. It would be nice to "fill/cover" the tear.
I've used a vinyl repair kit on other cars, and they do work.
Old 02-18-2005, 11:00 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MikePA
I've used a vinyl repair kit on other cars, and they do work.
Is it the same with leather and could you tell there is "damage" from a distance? I don't really mind seeing the repair up-close, but want to try and avoid the tear from progressing to a "hole".
Old 02-18-2005, 11:19 AM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bello425
Is it the same with leather and could you tell there is "damage" from a distance? I don't really mind seeing the repair up-close, but want to try and avoid the tear from progressing to a "hole".
I've never tried it on leather. From a distance, you could not tell there was any damage. It's worth a try. If it doesn't work, then a visit to an auto upholstering shop is probably needed.
Old 02-18-2005, 11:31 AM
Banned

Mequair's Aloe Conditioner jacked up my leather

Well i didnt recognize this until about a week after i cleaned my seats .. i looked at my seats and the dye is lightening in several places !!! the leather is also compeltely grainy on the passenger seat

I called them up and basically they said theres no way that there product could do that because it was extensively tested ........ right so why bother having customer care? You can see the patterns of where i rotated the cloth on the seat to clean it with the cleaner.

Not cool, the guy does not believe me, hes them ain dude at Mequairs. Im kind of pissed because I proffesionally detail cars and this is the first time I used this stuff (used it twice before this time but havent seen the results?) He said I would have noticed INSTANTANEOUSLY if something were to be wrong.

All I know is that my seats are turning light black and feel like shit and Im pissed

I should have stuck with zymol cleaner ...

WHAT CAN I DO TO SALVAGE MY SEATS