Leased a IS300

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2001, 09:23 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Leased a IS300

I was thinking of selling TL 99 41k miles and get TLS 01 in addition to some other car (IS300/BMW 330i), but I wasn't able to get a test drive at the Acura dealer I bought my original TL from at MSRP. The reason was that they ran out of cars for test drive, or maybe because I told him my purchasing time frame is 6 months. I sat in TLS, looked around, and it's pretty much like my old car. Do I really want to drive pretty much the same car for another 3 yrs, and regret the redesign in 2003 or 2004? (2 weeks later I haven't received a call regarding a car being available to test drive)

Anyway I just leased the IS300 for my wife because there is a manf lease deal for 2001 and so far it's been able to take the corner much better than my TL. Right now it has less than 100 miles so I am taking it easy before I use the e-shift to compare w/tiptronic. The fuel economy is 18/23 which isn't too great.
This is my first time at Lexus dealer and I can tell you there is a BIG difference with how they treat customers compared to Acura.
I read Edmunds' review and IS300 came up 3rd, and basically just want to try different cars.

I have to see for 2003 if there is a face redesign, I love the nav. My friend's CLS 01 nav is much better compared to mine. Faster, no fingerprints, more features. I just read Lexus 2002 nav is faster than before (recalc under 3.5 sec and does 3 diff route types - not sure if all under this 3.5 sec timeframe).

No I don't race on streets so don't try to get this kill.
Old 08-02-2001, 10:20 PM
Type S personality

Good luck

with your (wife's) new toy. Let me know how you like it. I have been doing research and deciding between a number of vehicles for my next lease, including the TL-S and IS300.
Old 08-02-2001, 10:33 PM
Instructor

why go for IS300? you should have at least gotten a Honda, like Accord or perhaps a TL-S.
Old 08-02-2001, 11:46 PM

Thumbs up

Because .............
Old 08-02-2001, 11:55 PM
Banned

is300 is a great car... i bet most people here was choosing between the TLS and the IS300, The TLS is new to me, so i wanted it, but if i had a TL before it i would have gone with the is300 as well. Plus you cant beat those lease deals that lexus is giving the IS.
Old 08-03-2001, 12:46 AM
Racer

Just out of curiosity...what is a great lease deal on a Lexus IS300? If I'm not being too personal, how much did you pay?
Old 08-03-2001, 09:14 AM
Pro

Thumbs up

I don't think you could have gone wrong either way. Lexus makes a great car. I hope you and your wife enjoy it!
Old 08-03-2001, 09:26 AM
Instructor

I would have to agree both rides are truely awesome! Enjoy...
Old 08-03-2001, 09:30 AM

Wash n Wax,

The deal I saw for IS300 leasing was for around $2700 down and $399 a month for 39 months . Option to buy at end was (I think) about $20k-$22k .
Old 08-03-2001, 01:02 PM
Racer

Only reason I didn't get the IS300 is because of its diminutive stature. Same reason applies to the C230K, C280, and any 3 series. You got a tight ride and I know you'll enjoy it! Don't race any of us in a straight line though... j/k
Old 08-03-2001, 01:52 PM
tea elle

I don't see the comparison of the IS300 to the TL-S. It's very strange inside that car...no arm rest, tight, narrow, clostrophobic, and unless you're going to spend all your time racing around town against 22 year old boys, the car just is not very practical. I know the TL is based on the Accord platform, but the IS is basically a tricked out Corolla, isn't it???
Old 08-03-2001, 03:14 PM
Instructor

Anyways...

those IS300 are fun if you have the money. Altezza body kits.
high quality coil overs

strut brace, chassis support and all kinds of goodies from TRD.
Old 08-03-2001, 04:47 PM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, if you ever need direct comparisons between the two dont hesitate to ask. Both the TLs and the IS300 are parked next to each other outside, and my coworker alternate driving them to luch each day. I must admit his car is a tad bit more fun to drive, but like i said loooong ago, when the day is over, I'm glad I'm stepping in my vehicle for that loong 45 mile commute.
Old 08-03-2001, 04:54 PM
Instructor

IMO, Lexus is a great car company.. So is Acura.. But when I compared the two (IS300 & TLS) ummm.. NO comparison. The IS300 just plays too much on the "boy racer" look/image.. Im sure your wife is happy though, and thats all that really matters.
Old 08-03-2001, 05:19 PM

What exactly is "BOY RACER"?? IS was the first to come out with those clear tailights, It is not our fault EVERY SINGLE CAR Now has em? They were meant to be classy (which to me they are) but there is no such thing as class on a civic, mustang etc....therefore !@#$%^ teh whole idea up (copy cats)

So tl's with bodykits and rims and clear corners are "boy racer"?

AMG Benz's are boy racer?

BTW IS and Corolla DO NOT SHARE ANYTHING, sigh...........
Old 08-03-2001, 05:40 PM
Instructor

Chill sicklex..
I like clear head/tail lights as well.. kudos to lexus for bringing them into the mainstream market on a production model. I never said or implied that its the clear-outs that project that "boy racer" image.. Like previously mentioned in another post.. no armrest, etc.. or how about that instrument cluster.. or the pedals.. its not for me.. IMO, the outside looks pretty nice..
I just don´t care for what lexus did on the inside.. or the rear.
Again, its the happiness of the guys wife that matters..
Im sure he would agree.
As I stated.. Its My Opinion! Nothing more, nothing less..
Old 08-03-2001, 06:12 PM
tea elle

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
What exactly is "BOY RACER"?? IS was the first to come out with those clear tailights, It is not our fault EVERY SINGLE CAR Now has em? They were meant to be classy (which to me they are) but there is no such thing as class on a civic, mustang etc....therefore !@#$%^ teh whole idea up (copy cats)

BTW IS and Corolla DO NOT SHARE ANYTHING, sigh...........
In the words of Dennis Miller "I don't want to go off on a rant, but"......

I love the looks of the IS300. But, you can thank every ignorant, low-life, wanna-be gansta, punk-ass punk with clear tail lights on his corolla, civic, accord or integra for diminishing the appeal of the IS300 tail lights.

Its analagous to tatoos and earrings on men....there was a time back in the early 80's when a select few guys in LA had earrings, and it was pretty cool looking. And, typically only bikers and those who served in the military had tatoos...and tatoos meant more than just a pot smoking induced Saturday at Venice Beach. But now every LOSER and POSER and LOW-LIFE DORK from "the Inland Empire" or "the Valley" has tatoos and earrings. My point is that it doesn't mean anything anymore. It all gets diminished by the masses.

And don't even get me started on young women with tatoos....what a tragedy! Some day those same women will be invited to a black tie affair, or a dinner party at a fancy hotel (you know, like later on in life when fads have changed and they've presumably grown up) and they will have these tatoos of barbed wire, dolphins and flowers on their ankles and shoulder blades from their youth.....oops! You know, when I was in Junior High, all the cool girls wore feather roach clips in their feathered hair. Tatoos today are the equivalent to having had those feather roach clips permanently attached to those girls' heads. Notice how nobody wears feather roach clips anymore?

Thanks a lot, you've been a great audience!
Old 08-03-2001, 06:18 PM
Racer

but the IS is basically a tricked out Corolla, isn't it???
Actually the Toyota car upon which the IS300 is based has never been released in the US. It's called the Altezza. It was also released with a smaller engine overseas as the IS200. It has nothing in common with the Corolla other than what they both get through the common parentage of Toyota.
Old 08-03-2001, 06:22 PM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by tea elle

Notice how nobody wears feather roach clips anymore?
I dont even know what a feather roach clip is. Were the fembots wearing them in Austin Powers? lol
Old 08-03-2001, 06:47 PM
Intermediate

Cool

The IS300 is a fun little car...if you like the riced out civic look.

My young, twenty-something receptionist just got one and she loves it.

I'm still aiming towards the TLS but the current minor quality issues, the upcoming 6 sp manual, and other brand new models coming later in the year make me hesitant.
Old 08-03-2001, 11:16 PM
Advanced

Reality Check: Lexus didn't set the trend with clears... the 16 year old Civic drivers did. Lexus was trying to appeal to the young by emulating this. Had they tried to cater to a target audience that actually makes more than $7 an hour, they would have sold more of them.

I drove the car a few times, and I think its a tight little car. A lot more fun to drive than a TL-S.. but don't plan on hauling your adult friends around in the back. I thought the accomodations for the driver were ok, but I wouldn't even want to be in the passenger seat for a few hours... no where to rest your arms. The best description I've hear of the interior is 'dashboard by Panasonic'.
Old 08-04-2001, 08:56 AM
Instructor

Cool reply to questions

Well another reason is that her side of the garage can't park the TL (too long). I have to get a smaller car and she doesn't want Honda (I tried).

TL & IS300 are definity two different beasts. TL is bigger but I often drive by myself. IS300 corners a lot better than my TL but TLS is better than TL w/VSA and sportier suspension. If Acura keeps the value up for a few more years I'll definitely come back for TLS.

I noticed so far for the same price as TLS, the IS doesn't have auto dim rear view mirror, passenger side tilt down, memory seats, arm rest (getting used to, but this is avail in 2002 model).
It does have 1 touch moonroof but I don't use that much. Maybe my wife will use it. It has a SNOW button and a POWER button (which holds the gear longer till redline like BMW's Sports mode) - going to compare after 1,000 break in.

The 2001 IS300 lease prg was $399/month for 12k/39month, $1,075 down and bank fee, 1st sec deposit.

I got it for $399/month w/9 additional security deposit (MSD), 15k/39 months, same $1,075 down/bank fee.

The car is MSRP $34,600, to buy is $32,000, and residual % is 52% which is $17,992. Is there a market to sell that car for $17,992 w/45k miles down the line? Not sure.
Old 08-04-2001, 02:07 PM
f-a-b-o-l-o-u-s

well if you really hate those clear tails but love the rest of the car.. rod millen sells color-matched taillight covers (under $200). Yes, thats right... no more annoying "racer boy" image.

2002 IS does look promising. The 5 speed is getting good reviews. Lexus added a full-leather option in addition to the leather/escaine trim that I find dispicable. Best of all - center console armrest is now standard.
Old 08-04-2001, 02:09 PM
f-a-b-o-l-o-u-s

and the infamous pop-up nav...
Old 08-04-2001, 03:42 PM
Advanced

Ever since I saw the IS in the LA auto show in Jan, of 2000 I wanted one especially in Yellow. But as time went by and I did a little research I came to believe that the IS was too small inside for my 2 little girls that I pick up from school. I also noticed that it didn't have an armrest , memory seats, rear a/c vents (a biggie for me 'cause of the girls), and was more expensive. My friend also bought a blue one so that sealed the deal after I took it for a spin, its a little slower than the tl-s.

Anyways, bro enjoy your ride I still love the looks of the IS especially the dash and interior.
Old 08-04-2001, 05:27 PM
Instructor

Tragic Tattoos

Nice post TE. LOL!
Old 08-05-2001, 11:37 AM

Here's apic of the infamous missing armrest!!!!
http://y42.photos.yahoo.com/bc/duhme...c=ph%26.view=t

MB45 just venting, my bad.

Tea Elle, wonderful insight........

FOR THE LAST TIME, the IS is the ALTEZZA in Japan, the IS 200 in UK etc. and was sold over there for like 2 maybe 3 years before it came here. That means it had those clear tail-lights WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY before everyone and their momma here put em on their WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY cheaper ride #$%^& it all up for IS 300 owners.......

For goodness sakes the new Ford lightning has em on from the factory
Old 08-05-2001, 12:15 PM
Burning Brakes

IS300 is a Glorified Civic

I too was excited about about the new IS300, until I saw it in person. It's too damn small. Lexus tried to copy the BMW 3 series, but why did they have to copy the small size too?

Size does matter and this size issue will deter many potential buyers to buy the slightly larger TL and I30.

I love Lexus cars overall, and they are a better brand than Acura. The IS300 is a nice car, but it's too small for most of us. Should be a 2 door coupe like the BMW 330ci. 4 Doors just looks too crowded for this small car.

The only problem with Lexus is that the next step up in size is the ES300, but even the 2002 model is not a sporty car, just for old people. Then you can jump up to the GS, which is just in a much higher price range.

IS300 needs to be larger and have more horsepower.
Old 08-05-2001, 12:34 PM
Racer

IS300 needs to be larger and have more horsepower.
As far as a change in size, I can't comment. Some people just like cars that small. It's still larger than a two-seater roadster!

As far as a change in power, I've heard that L-Tuned has announced a manufacturer-warranteed supercharger for the IS300. Combine that with the five-speed manual tranny (which also comes with sportier suspension) and you should have something that comes close to the M3/C32/S4 for less $$$.
Old 08-05-2001, 12:44 PM
Banned

Re: IS300 is a Glorified Civic

Originally posted by acuraguynj
I too was excited about about the new IS300, until I saw it in person. It's too damn small. Lexus tried to copy the BMW 3 series, but why did they have to copy the small size too?

Size does matter and this size issue will deter many potential buyers to buy the slightly larger TL and I30.

Before I settled on my TL-S, I had it narrowed down to the IS300 and the TL-S. But after driving them back to back I just couldn't get over how small the IS300 was. When you think of 4-door sports sedan, you figure you should be able to carry 4 adults comfortably and have some sporting flair while doing it. Ain't gonna happen in the IS300. That is really a 2-door sedan with a 4-door option. If I wanted a 2-door sportster in that price and room range I would have bought an S2000.
Old 08-05-2001, 12:59 PM

As I stated, the IS is a hit overseas (where bigger is not better) and they brought the car here but shoehhorned the GS 300 engine!

I think Japanese entry level luxery cars (tl/es/i-30/diamante/millinia etc) do sell well cause of the size (in the U.S.) it offers compared to c-class,3-series etc.

But it seems u gotta be the same size to truly compete with the Germans (the 1st gen GS was 195 inch long, the 2nd gen 189 inch long and has same dimmensions as German cars, IS now doing the same thing) and if you want to sell in Europe and be successful......
Old 08-05-2001, 01:04 PM
Instructor

MB45 just venting, my bad.

No Prob.
We all need to do it sooner or later..
Old 08-09-2001, 01:48 AM
Instructor

Great rant Tea Elle, not everyone may agree with what you say but cannot deny the funny way you said it. And, yeah, I know what a feathered roach clip is....

I too looked at the IS300 at the 2001 Jan auto show in L.A. and in fact was planning to buy one, until I read a review which said a buyer should also check out the TL...the rest is history. Compared side by side the IS300 is just too small. Not just a casual problem for me; my daughters leg doesn't bend fully due to past surgery and she just won't fit in the Lexus. The TL was an easy decision from then on.
Old 08-09-2001, 03:59 AM
...and then there was One

The reason for those lease deals is because they know they missed their target audience and there are too many 2001 models left to sell, and the 2002 will be a much better car. (I got a better lease on my TLS than that, by the way).
With the leather option, what will that bring the price to on a '02 IS?
The pop-up Nav has gotten bad reviews for being flimsy, and prone to breakage.
I much prefer the look of the taillights on other Lexus'. They IS FOLLOWED the rice look (sorry to point that out, SickLex, but it's the truth). Those clear light have been around for years (at least 5). Myself, I only like clear lights on white and silver cars (even the IS), not dark cars, or yellow. I don't like the tinted headlight/tailights on Mustangs, either.
I wish our TLS handled like the IS, though. Maybe after I add the Comptech springs and sways?
Now, if I were more confident in the Semiconductor/high-tech industry, I would of looked at the GS430/LS430 (at least I think those are the models). I love the looks of them, and what can be done. By the way he describes it, I bet 1SickLex has a nice ride. Ever posted a pic of it?
Old 08-09-2001, 04:09 PM
Instructor

still IS300 is just looks like Honda Civic.. lexus just need to have better Civic.. i think that's what they imagined when they looked at civic.. but they do look very close.. when you souped up your Civic..

the bottom line is TLS is better value.. and small cars always has better cornering..
Old 08-09-2001, 05:02 PM
Racer

Almost got one........until I stook directly behind the IS300....
It looked like a Toyota Echo.
It's definitely fun to drive, but I was looking for a fast family car.
It is neither fast or a family car. No, new 6mt doesn't count. I have no 6mt for a family car. I have sports cars for that.

Is Lexus gonna put a 6mt on SC430?
Or is Acura gonna give us a convertible with 6mt, similar to S2000?
Old 08-10-2001, 05:09 AM
Advanced

Originally posted by seotaiji
still IS300 is just looks like Honda Civic.. lexus just need to have better Civic.. i think that's what they imagined when they looked at civic.. but they do look very close.. when you souped up your Civic..

the bottom line is TLS is better value.. and small cars always has better cornering..
To say IS300 is a civic will start you another war here, so let's try to be cooh at that. About the resale value, I never heard of the TL , or the TL-s possess better resale than the IS300, do you have any proof to support that? Lexus still has better resale value IMO. There are several reasons IS has better cornering, first it is a RWD, second the suspension is firmer. thrid, yes it is smaller.

However, I too was not satisfied about the IS with the ride comfort, but with the new 2002 model IS300, you won't be disappointed. The All new full Leather seats certainly fix up what's has been wrong, and with the newly sporty manual transmission, firmer suspension, and superb pop up navigation, I would say the New IS300 is a whole different start, and a first class effort.

anywayz, with this all said, TL-s still smokes IS in offline. no question asked. = )

i attached some photos of my GS, just an idea to show how a modded GS would look like ^^