Lapping advice (attn: fsttyms)

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 06:52 PM
FPR pimpin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lapping advice (attn: fsttyms)

well i'm gonna start lapping the TL here and I wanna know what you recommend i upgrade before i hit the track

I will be doing my front brakes, replacign with EBC 3GD Rotors and either EBC yellow or red stuff

is there anything else I should be replacing before i hit the track?

I have BFG G-Force Tires which i think are very capable although i might have to replace one at the back because it has a small bulge... do I have to replace that before tracking or not really? i think i should
Old 06-04-2007, 07:31 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
YES replace the tire or it will blow at the worst possible time on track
And it wont pass tech inspection in the morning
Change you engine oil/filter- ck all fluids, clean air filter
Do seafoam treatment and install NGK Iridium plugs for good measure
FLUSH/bleed brakes before and after track day
Valvoline Synthetic DOT 4 works well
be prepared to add a few psi to tires between sessions to fix handling-
take a guage- tracks have air
take a full size spare tire/rim in case you get a flat on track- otherwise day is done
You may also like the Cusco lower frame bar for 85 bucks from MrHeelToe to go with your strut bar- the 2 make a very tight platform for the struts to do their job
see web for CG Lock-$50, a seatbolt holder device that locks the lap belt as tight as race belts. less energy spent holding on and bracing means faster and smoother- lighter touch on pedals and steering wheel
Mechanics brand gloves $20 or real race driving gloves improve grip on wheel and you will want that!

Slow and smooth makes fast in the later sessions
If you really liked it and will do it all the time:
Buy a neck brace from Bell $40- now called pyrotect.com
get your own SNELL SA 2005 helmet $300 - rental helmets are like bowling shoes-except no one ever sprays them with lysol yuk!!!
Most important- put all you think you know about driving with the pile of stuff removed from car-
bring a bag to put car contents in- the spare/jack- stuff from glovebox-carpet mats and anything else that moves must be rremoved!!
Let the experienced pro race driver/coach/instructor help you learn right from scratch
Have way too much fun and then buy Cruise Cam- a device that mounts thru the passenger seat headrest holes and your camcorder bolts to it- $50
reviewing your performance and hearing the instructor comments as you go thru each corner will improve the next session and next track day
Old 06-04-2007, 07:43 PM
Team Owner

Look at vendor MrHeelToe www.heeltoeauto.com and see the 1 piece RacingBrake rotors and combine with the Hawk HP+ (plus) brake pads= awesome for track day and streetable combo. Very hi tech alloy rotors
www.hawkperformance.com
www.racingbrake.com
for tech details- compare to your current setup
Old 06-04-2007, 07:56 PM
FPR pimpin'

how do the trannies hold up?
Old 06-05-2007, 06:47 AM
FPR pimpin'

too bad im doing it with the slushbox cant wait till the teggy is done to have some heel toe fun lol
Old 06-05-2007, 10:50 AM
Team Owner

As long as your trans has no probs now- you will not break it at track day
As per our discussion of first track day- you probably drive it more ruthlessly on the street than the instructor will recommend on track
Smooth is fast- that includes downshifting in time with the brakes so you are in the right gear for the corner exit.
You will spend most of the time in 3rd and 2nd gear
Old 06-05-2007, 01:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
the most important thing is to just take it easy and LEARN the car and not push it too much too quick. Do a few hot laps accompanied by a few cool down laps. Dont just go and park the car. Reds and yellows are overkill. Stick with a good streetable pad like the Green or hawk. And i agree with bleeding the brakes atleast afterwards, if not before as well
Old 06-05-2007, 02:03 PM
Team Owner

I agree with kris- go slow- have fun- car will do way more than you know right now

And to me-as a tech inspector at races:
I want to see clean fluid in the brake master and clutch master if applicable

The brake fluid change before is critical- so many of us have never done it, making the fluid suspect at the very least
Other change theirs every year or every month if track day addicts!
Do it again afterwards to replace severly heated fluid
Its such a simple task, requires 1 friend, 1 wrench- some tubing, a catch bottle and less than $5 fluid
Thats cheap insurance !
Old 06-05-2007, 07:17 PM
FPR pimpin'

yea im definitely goin to take it slowly until i learn the limits of the car, i was at a track day last weekend and now i cant wait to get out there

hmm i was gonna go with the yellows because according to the site its the only street/track pad they sell, ill see the price difference if its not alot then i might still go with the red or yellow, i wanna make sure this fat car stops lol, i know with the stock brakes i can feel it lose braking power right after a heavy braking situation.

I'm gonna change my brake fluid when i do the brakes this weekend, what fluid do you guys recommend?

Valvoline Synthetic DOT 4? is that the best?

whats the reason for bleeding the brakes after tracking? does air get into the system somehow? I'll do it, cuz i know you guys know your stuff, i was just wondering the reason.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by L3wD
yea im definitely goin to take it slowly until i learn the limits of the car, i was at a track day last weekend and now i cant wait to get out there

hmm i was gonna go with the yellows because according to the site its the only street/track pad they sell, ill see the price difference if its not alot then i might still go with the red or yellow, i wanna make sure this fat car stops lol, i know with the stock brakes i can feel it lose braking power right after a heavy braking situation.

I'm gonna change my brake fluid when i do the brakes this weekend, what fluid do you guys recommend?

Valvoline Synthetic DOT 4? is that the best?

whats the reason for bleeding the brakes after tracking? does air get into the system somehow? I'll do it, cuz i know you guys know your stuff, i was just wondering the reason.
Until you get competitive the greens will do you good. I use them and im very aggressive and they last just fine for me.

Motul or superblue brake fluids are teh best. And you want to bleed them afterwards cause if your hard enough on them you will heat/boil the fluid. You will want to get that stuff out of the system
Old 06-05-2007, 07:53 PM
FPR pimpin'

ohhh, now i bled brakes for air before, but how do you know when all the boiled fluid is out? im guessing there is a colour change?
Old 06-05-2007, 10:24 PM
Team Owner

Suck most of the brake fluid from the master cylinder with a turkey baster
refill with Valvoline DOT 4 Synthetic or Kris' stuff
then bleed the brakes- you will see when its all clear again
Usually 5 sets of pump bleed pump bleed will get fresh fluid thru the caliper
Moisture in the system is the killer of most street car hydraulics
Flushing system once a year removes that moisture and prevents rust forming
Brake fluid has a boiling point- and that is lowered by moisture in the system
Brake fluid sucks moisture right out of the air!!! no lie!

bleed order gen 2 TL is driver front LF then clockwise around the car so its
LF RF RR LR and your are all set. I know it defies logic but thats the procedure
Old 06-05-2007, 10:44 PM
Team Owner

And there will be many people at the track willing to help you with tire pressure or whatever you need.
Many schools allow or offer or require an instructor- a Pro level race driver, to ride with you first day, a few sessions or all day. Try different instructors if possible too.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:36 AM
FPR pimpin'

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl

LF RF RR LR and your are all set. I know it defies logic but thats the procedure
yes i read about about the moisture being sucked in by the brake fluid a while back

Thanks for all the help guys!!!
Old 06-06-2007, 08:59 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl

Old 06-07-2007, 06:59 AM
Instructor

My advice: dont do it unless you are willing to become addicted quickly. I did a couple driving schools and now im hooked, I dont track my TL but I have tracked many cars; M5, M5, 911 Turbo, NSX, etc... It is definitely a hobby that is very very addicting and not to mention expensive, its addicting because of how much fun it is though!

My real advice, like everyone is saying: Take it slow, dont go out there like you know everything, if there are professional drivers or expert drivers out there then learn everything you can from them. Speed up as you gain confidence and take your time learning the right lines and you should be good.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:55 AM
Team Owner

Its not like they throw you on course with no training or briefing!

Most schools will have Professional level drivers- National Competition Race License holder- checkered flag winning drivers on hand to ride with you and help with track diagram reviews and where to brake and turn etc.
Normally there is a debriefing after each session
Some watch from the corners and report to Control on your driving
They enjoy using their race experience to shorten your learning curve!
Groups are divided by experience and car prep level.You will be in beginner group with others who have never been on the track,so instuctors will be plentiful.
The organizer has one main goal- everyone goes home with the car in the same condition it arrived. NO crashes or even putting a wheel in the dirt- thats overdriving and will result in a converstation with an instructor.

One thing I appreciate is not having to spend time watching for LE in the mirror- so all the focus is on driving
On the street- I drive casual and legal - get my high speed thrills at the track- and consider the expense to be less than the speeding tickets and possible crash with whatever-
I would have gotten on the street.