l.e.d accents

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2004, 12:54 AM
DO WORK!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
l.e.d accents

im thinkin of putting blue l.e.d accents in my headlights...i was wondering if anyone has done this n could help me with some questions.

where shud i drill the hole?
how hard is it to do by urself?
should i have a professional do it?

thanks for your help.
Old 08-16-2004, 01:40 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ricer Alert.
Old 08-16-2004, 03:04 AM
2Poor 2Furious

No offense but I think it ruins the "true white" effect of the HIDs. If you want the blueness, swap out the bulbs for higher temp HIDs so you get real color... but to each his own.

For LEDs, they have a very limited viewing angle. Go buy an LED from radio shack and run it to a battery, and you'll see that the LED shines in a spot rather than all around like a incandescent bulb. So you'd have to point the LED towards the area that you want to illuminate.
Old 08-16-2004, 08:16 AM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
if you're talking about doing a "city lights" set up i would think twice. the temperatures inside the headlight housing go really high and most of the LEDs i have seen are coated with a low temperature epoxy or are just made out of plastic since LEDs give off little to no heat. i don't know how well they would stand up. you may want to look into that first.

when i had my last car before i bought my TL (1993 Ford Taurus SHO), i had talked with some people about inserting LEDs up into the outside door handle recess so it would illuminate the area where you stick your fingers in. that would be something neat.

SSTS
Old 08-16-2004, 10:13 AM
Future JDM Whore

Originally Posted by 09_Type-S
im thinkin of putting blue l.e.d accents in my headlights...i was wondering if anyone has done this n could help me with some questions.

where shud i drill the hole?
how hard is it to do by urself?
should i have a professional do it?

thanks for your help.

i was thinking of doing the same thing i bought the street glow head light LED's in blue but i havent had time to take them to get installed i just wanted to use mine for city lights.....i went to a shop to get them installed but the guy at the shop told me he didnt wanna drill the headlights because they have a tendancy of cracking and he didnt want to be responsible for it......so im not to sure whats gonna happen let me know how yours turns out or what u plan to do
Old 08-16-2004, 10:18 AM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Originally Posted by Da_iLLeZt_TL973
i was thinking of doing the same thing i bought the street glow head light LED's in blue but i havent had time to take them to get installed i just wanted to use mine for city lights.....i went to a shop to get them installed but the guy at the shop told me he didnt wanna drill the headlights because they have a tendancy of cracking and he didnt want to be responsible for it......so im not to sure whats gonna happen let me know how yours turns out or what u plan to do
yeah, i would imagine that when it gets as hot as it does in there, the constant thermal cycling (expansion/contraction) of the housing may just cause it to break if there is a tiny crack. although.....if you did it in the turn signal part, you might just be ok.

SSTS
Old 08-16-2004, 12:06 PM
Future JDM Whore

Originally Posted by SatinSilverTypS
yeah, i would imagine that when it gets as hot as it does in there, the constant thermal cycling (expansion/contraction) of the housing may just cause it to break if there is a tiny crack. although.....if you did it in the turn signal part, you might just be ok.

SSTS

thanks for the advice i didnt know that.....its stupid for them to make the lights if it causes those problems they just want money lol but ill take your advice into consideration
Old 08-16-2004, 12:20 PM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

thanks for the advice i didnt know that.....its stupid for them to make the lights if it causes those problems they just want money lol but ill take your advice into consideration

well, they made glass foglamp lenses prone to breaking and don't want to replace them. just another car maker ploy. but i'm sure the plastic the housings are made of are not prone to cracking from age/weather, etc. so they probably did not forsee any problems with things like this. it's only when people like us try to alter the design. but like i said you could probably slip the LEDs in the turn signal portion, although i know it wasn't really what you were looking for.

SSTS
Old 08-16-2004, 01:37 PM
Future JDM Whore

what about the street glow head light accent kit....would that cause to much heat and the risk of cracking the headlight or messing it up???
Old 08-16-2004, 01:41 PM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

what about the street glow head light accent kit....would that cause to much heat and the risk of cracking the headlight or messing it up???
i dont think the accents would be the problem (i am not too familiar with the streetglow kit but i'm assuming its LED based). it's when you fire up those HIDs that i would worry about. like i said, most LEDs are encased in plastic, i would think it would cause them to melt at the high temps the HIDs would expose them too. you could check around and see though, because i could be full of crap and no one might have ever had a problem. i suppose it's worth looking into. good luck.

SSTS
Old 08-16-2004, 01:45 PM
Future JDM Whore

i dont think the accents would be the problem (i am not too familiar with the streetglow kit but i'm assuming its LED based). it's when you fire up those HIDs that i would worry about. like i said, most LEDs are encased in plastic, i would think it would cause them to melt at the high temps the HIDs would expose them too. you could check around and see though, because i could be full of crap and no one might have ever had a problem. i suppose it's worth looking into. good luck.

SSTS

alright well thanks for all of your help i appreciate it being that im a newbie lol trying to make it
Old 08-16-2004, 01:47 PM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

alright well thanks for all of your help i appreciate it being that im a newbie lol trying to make it
anytime brotha, we all gots to start somewhere seriously though, if you do it take pics so we can check it out.
Old 08-16-2004, 01:58 PM
Future JDM Whore

anytime brotha, we all gots to start somewhere seriously though, if you do it take pics so we can check it out.

yea of course im gonna go check them out today and talk to the guy at the shop about them ill send you a private message and let you know what he says as far as the heating issue and all of that
Old 08-16-2004, 08:24 PM
Drivin' it till it dies!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

when i had my last car before i bought my TL (1993 Ford Taurus SHO)

SSTS
Off the subject: I had a 93 SHO also!! sorry guys.