Kragen Botched my Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 01:53 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Kragen Botched my Rotors

Sorry,.. Just wanted to vent.
I switched out my pads on the rear the other day and as a matter of personal preference I had the rotors turned as well. (I know you don't have to, depending on who you ask, but I thought "What the hell") So I took them to Kragen and had both turned. When I picked them up they were smooth on the inner 3/4 of the surface, but the last 1/4 torwards the outside was deeply gouged in a circular motion. According to the guy at Kragen, this is normal for rotors that are getting close to their thickness tollerance. But I thought this was BS. I even made the manager come out and I asked for a new set of rotors for free. I didn't even ask for much,.. just the $17 stock rotors (on sale). Bastard said the same thing, "It's normal for them to do this when you resurface them past tollerances". Well if that's the case,.. why did you resurface them at all? And your going to actually give me back my rotors that you ground down past tollerances?!

Well I would have bought new ones right there, but of course they didn't have them in stock. So I went home and put everything back together. Now my brakes make a whineing sound (actually more like a 'zip'ing sound) when I brake. I can just hear the rotor grinding into the pad and chewing it up. So even if I do buy new rotors, now my new pads will be jacked.

Moral of the story: Don't let Kragen touch your rotors.
Old 10-26-2005, 03:07 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,155 Likes on 826 Posts
A rotor cannot be turned many times, because each 'turn' will remove metal material from the rotor surface, in effect making the rotor thiner and thiner, reducing it's service life. As it gets thinner and with less metal to absorb the heat generated from brakings, the rotor will warp more easy. So try not to turn the rotor unless absolute necessary.
Old 10-26-2005, 03:26 PM
2400 Watts in a TL...Why?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the surface of the rotor is hardened steel, the core is not, so when the rotor is ground down past the hard surface the rotor warps very easily.
Old 10-26-2005, 03:57 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah,.. I understand that, but the rotors should have been fine. What I didn't mention earlier was that I had previously heard of shops screwing do-it-yourselfers out of new rotors by just saying that the rotors were too low to be turned. Fortunately I'm smarter then the average Kragen employee and have a micrometer at home (job perk). I measured them before I took them to Kragen and compared to spec. to make sure they wern't going to try to squeze new rotors out of me. They had plenty of 'meat' on them. Even after I got the rotors back, they still are within tollerances. The guys at kragen were just covering their own a** with some made up story about the thickness of the rotors.

After seeing what they did to my rotors, I was willing to buy new ones even though I thought they should pay for them. But at that point they didn't have any in stock and I was just too pissed to deal with them.

Whatever,.. at this point I'm not too concerned as such - just annoyed. I figure the pads will wear down to whatever groves are in the rotors and then wear like normal. The sound is already getting quieter. It may reduce the life of the pads, but I'll deal with the replacement of everything when it comes to it.