Koni Shocks Adjustment?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2003, 08:56 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Koni Shocks Adjustment?

How should I adjust my Konis? Ive heard stiffer in front, softer in back and vise versa. Whats the difference and benifits of both?
Old 04-02-2003, 09:20 PM
Intermediate

i just keep them equal. i forget the settings, but i keep it half way between 2 of the settings since one is too bumpy & other too soft.
Old 04-03-2003, 01:12 AM
Instructor

If you want more understeer ( I can't think of why...) you do stiffen the front.

I'll try keep it equal (you will be the one desire which level of comfort you want to sacrifice for handling. as you adjust the shock stiffer.) first with stock tire pressure, then try to get the rear tires pressure up couple PSI, then see how it feels. ( I recommend keeping the tire pressure under 40 psi at all times.) If the car still understeer too much, then I will start softening the front shocks by little bit...... You should be happy with the setting.

Oh, make sure you shut off the VSA when you testing your setting.
Old 04-03-2003, 11:41 AM
Bada Bing

I was told by Koni to keep them the same...1 to 1 1/2 turns lower than the stiffest setting.
Old 04-03-2003, 12:21 PM
Instructor

every car had a little difference in terms of Handling and the weight distribution.

Koni suggestion is improving the handling for people who still want the stock handling charateristics... Which means, in terms of FF like our beloved TL... Understeer big time....
Old 04-04-2003, 08:15 AM
8th Gear

What springs are you using?

I have had Konis on for 2 weeks with H&R OEM Sport springs. My experience with this combination is to use full soft for the rear, and 1/2 turn from full soft for the front. With the front at full soft the front of the car was rebounding too much, and taking too long to settle.
Old 04-04-2003, 11:34 AM
Bada Bing

I'm running Ground Control Coilovers.
Old 04-04-2003, 12:58 PM
Instructor

I have them on Comptechs springs, My fronts were set at two full 360 turns from softest which in the instructions are for "sport" Were you suppose to break these in too? Im not sure what the rears are, I just told them to set it in the middle (for both) I remember reading somewhere that you get better handling and reaction from either stiff in front/soft in back, or the other way around.
Old 04-05-2003, 03:28 PM
Instructor

It all depends on which handling characteristics you wanted.
Here is the general guidelines.
Lets say if want more oversteer (either to correct the understeer or you really want some off throttle oversteer...)

put more air pressure at the rear than the factory recommendation.

stiffen up the rear sway bar ( a bigger one.)

stiffen up the rear shocks setting.

lower the front suspension a little...

more positive toe at the rear.

if it still not enough, then soften your front shocks setting (in case you already adjust it to sport setting.)

Remove as much weight in the front, ie: Carbon Fiber Hood, remove battery to the truck, remove airbox or the water reservior(the one that spray to your windsheild.) I use Rain X on my wind shield so I never need to use the spray.

getting a better tires in front... (not recommend if you don't know much about handling a car that oversteer.)

Extreme.... this is been used by some famous tuner on their full-on Integras/Civics... Put a wider tire at the front and a skinnier tire at the rear..... but remember this is been their trial and error period to determine the best..... which most of us couldn't buy 10 sets of different size and just swap it and test on track......

I believe there's a very descriptive info on TireRack website.

I'm no TL expert ( I only have it for a month, and no modification yet.) But the above suggestion is how I got the best setting for my own Honda Accord... Mine is a V6, and it's probably the worst handling car in the whole Honda history... but I turn it to a very good handling car that makes me hate driving the TL-S:yack: It's like driving a boat in corners.