Knocking sound from inside B-Pillar

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2001, 12:18 AM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Knocking sound from inside B-Pillar

Sometimes when I drive over bumpy roads I can hear a soft knocking sound coming from (it seems) inside both B-pillars. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Is there an easy fix for this?
Old 09-29-2001, 12:29 AM
Instructor

Many are having the same problem. My car just spent a week at the dealership to have this fixed. I also had a dash rattle that neede fixed. Now there is a rattle somewhere in the rear deck area.

Hopefully they can fix it.........

NOT ACCEPTABLE FOR THE PRICE!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-29-2001, 12:48 AM
MB-Fanatic w/TL-S

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think it's the seatbelt height adjustor.... try move it up/down/right/left and see if that's the sound you hear....

Andy Kuo
Old 09-29-2001, 04:00 AM
Instructor

Thank you!! Now I know I'm not crazy!!!!!! I have that same damn noise!!!!!! It's one of the only rattles I have and I can't stand it. It's so annoying and whenever I go to the dealer it always disappears!!! I once drove around for literally 45 minutes with Jens looking for every possible bumpy road we could find and it did not make a sound. Two days later I heard it again and it hasn't gone away since. I'm ashamed to tell them about it again... especially since I'd be really embarrassed if we drove around again and it was once again quiet. There are a lot of automotive geniuses on this board, can someone PLEASE help track down the source of this noise and find a fix for it?

Noam
Old 09-29-2001, 12:11 PM
bh
Advanced

i get a click on bumps and when give it a quick brake. what sux is its right next to ear. i dont think its worth tearing up the car to figure out tho. probably make things worse, like with my engine pinging.
Old 09-29-2001, 04:31 PM
Instructor

Yea, so it looks like most of us have that same lil clicking/tapping sound in our ears. It would be great to solve, if maybe it was a simple fix.

Noam
Old 09-29-2001, 05:27 PM
Advanced

Unfortunately, I had a similar problem when I took delivery. I too had noise coming from the B pillar and I wasn't happy having to bring my car back for service the very next day. Anyway, they found a 2 inch bolt that was rollong around inside the pillar. The technician said it must have been dropped by the robot. This, of course, makes me question the entire QC process. I have owned a number of new cars and there are far too many phanton noises with this model. I have had my car back in the shop several times for various noises and I have yet another service appointment scheduled for next week to fix a rattle coming from the passenger side door. As much as I want to "love" my car, I suspect this will be the last Acura or Honda product I ever purchase.
Old 09-29-2001, 05:50 PM
Instructor

Do you know where in the pillar? And how we could get in there to look for that bolt? If all of us have that "extra" bolt, then it definitely shows a sad state of affairs for the QC dept. at Acura.

Noam
Old 09-29-2001, 09:50 PM
Advanced

It is not a task that I would perform. Mine was on the passenger side and literally took several service technicians about an half an hour to find. Given the other comments I read, this could have been a problem in a number of the builds. I would go back to your Acura dealership and have them take apart the pillar to check. If that doesn't work, contact Acura and make an appointment with their representative. Acura is aware of what happened to my car because I logged a complaint. Good luck!
Old 09-30-2001, 01:25 AM
Drifting

Hmm, I can't tell where the noise is coming from exactly. I do hear a similar kind of noise when I jiggle my seat belt height adjuster around, but I don't know if that's the cause of the noise.

It sounds more like something loose inside the B-pillar hitting the plastic cover. I also don't hear it all the time (haven't heard it the last two days) but when I do, it tends to stick around for a while.

Is it easy to pop open the B-pillar plastic cover? Maybe I'll do a simple visual inspection before I try something more drastic.

I've been hearing a very soft and extremely intermittent metallic "click" coming from my seat base recently. I've had my entire seat base replaced once for clicking. I hope it's not happening again. I wonder if the thunking sound is also coming from the seat base...
Old 09-30-2001, 07:25 AM
Instructor

Mine was not the seat belt height adjuster. The dealership has it fixed for the time being. I know they replaced many retaining clips and added insulation. Time will tell, I have only had it back for 2 days.............
Old 09-30-2001, 11:12 AM
Instructor

Ive got the same noise.. Near ear level, while driving.. I its a very soft rattle mostly noticed over rougher roads.. I don´t think its coming from the seat belt adjuster.. as I can change its position, press on it etc. and it makes no change in the noise I hear. I do notice however that when I push on the upper portion of the window, it seems to stop the noise. I can also stop the noise by having the window rolled down partially. I had my first oil change the other day, and requested the service dept check out the window to ensure all was cool. They found nothing out of order. I also complained about the rattle in the trunk area.. They attributed that noise to a wheel lock that was sitting its it OE package on top of the spare tire. GUESS what, that was NOT it!! Did they even test drive it?? Prob not..
Old 09-30-2001, 01:37 PM
MB-Fanatic w/TL-S

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB45,

The creaking noise from seatbelt height adjuster will occur on mine no matter whichever setting I am at....

Have you try hold down the adjuster while going through a rough road(that you know will make the creaking/rattle sound)?? I tried hold mine, and the creaking sound stops.....

Andy Kuo
Old 09-30-2001, 06:51 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by RHINO928
Mine was not the seat belt height adjuster. The dealership has it fixed for the time being. I know they replaced many retaining clips and added insulation. Time will tell, I have only had it back for 2 days.............
Spoke to soon, It still rattles...this is really B/S!!!
I have held the seat belt adj. and it does noy stop the noise

I'll let you know what Acura says........
Old 09-30-2001, 11:12 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What the he!! is going on here. I have every symptom listed above and the car is a month old. My big problem is that I have virtually no time during the day (business hours) to make the phone calls or visits needed. THIS IS NOT GOOD. My 97 Accord never had these problems and I paid 15000 less for it. and one more
Old 09-30-2001, 11:17 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I forgot to ask. Where exactly is the B pillar?
Old 09-30-2001, 11:38 PM
Instructor

Andy-

Have you try hold down the adjuster while going through a rough road(that you know will make the creaking/rattle sound)??
Ya I have done that.. still makes the same noise. Mine stops when the window is rolled down, or when I apply pressure on the upper portion of the window.. (pushing outwards) Ill address it once again at my next visit to the dealer.. its not bad enough that I cant deal with it.. then again..
Old 10-01-2001, 02:44 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by optimus prime
I forgot to ask. Where exactly is the B pillar?
The B pillar is the pillar between the front and rear doors. The pillars go A-B-C, A being the pillar between the windshield and the front door, and C being the pillar between the rear door and the rear window.

MB45: If you can stop the noise by pressing on the door frame, it could be that your door is not seated properly against the frame. I noticed some time ago that my left side doors were not sitting flush against the body (stand behind your car and look along the side--see if the doors pop out a little). I got it fixed by moving the strikers (the thick metal loop on the B and C pillars) in about 1/8", and it fixed a lot of the creaks and squeaks from my doors.