Keep TL or sell,your opinion

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 09:26 PM
2002 TL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keep TL or sell,your opinion

I have an 02 TL.I bought it in 05 with 34,5K miles on it.I don't drive it to work,so it has just under 65K miles.Interior is in great shape.Exterior needs a new paint job and minor body work.Transmission has been changed once,about 4 years ago.Less than 15K miles on trans no.2.I'd like your opinion on whether I should keep it or sell it.I figure paint and body will cost about 2K to do.It would look like new if I did that,but I'd still have a 13 year old car with a known transmission issue.Belts and water pump are still original.Tires will need changing soon.Money is an issue no matter what I do.I'm leaning toward selling because of the trans issue,plus what KBB and NADA are saying about what I should be able to sell it for.I would appreciate honest opinions from you.I really like my car,but I don't want homer opinions.Thanks.
Old 09-06-2014, 10:00 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wow, too bad the tranny took a dump with only 50K on it! I'd think that with only 15K on tranny #2, you should be OK if you keep up with fluid changes. As for the body, how pristine do you need it to look? It is a 12 year old car after all. You'd be amazed at how a good buff job with rubbing compound, followed by a polishing compound and wax can make the paint look. Unless of course, the clear coat is gone. I just buffed my '99 today and I was amazed at how many scratches came out. What do you think you'd pay for a car with 65K on it that's the same level of car as the Acura? I'd bet a lot more than what you'd get for it.
Old 09-06-2014, 10:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
'02 TL @ 65k, keep or sell ? Money is an issue !!!

Originally Posted by sl168
I don't drive it to work,so it has just under 65K miles.Transmission has been changed once, about 4 years ago. Less than 15K miles on trans no.2.

I'd like your opinion on whether I should keep it or sell it. I figure paint and body will cost about 2K to do. It would look like new if I did that, but I'd still have a 13 year old car with a known transmission issue. Belts and water pump are still original. Tires will need changing soon. Money is an issue no matter what I do.

I would appreciate honest opinions from you.I really like my car,but I don't want homer opinions.Thanks.

Hey Sl168, apparently ya don't really use the car very much. With only 15k on a replaced tranny, you should be ok for awhile. There's no reason why this car should appear as new, IMO.

If money is indeed an issue, do the most critical things first. If ya don't have any real practical use for the car.....sell it for some quick cash if you're experiencing financial distress !!!

But, seriously....for safety's sake and resale, replace the tires. Then next, if ya really like the car and require a 2nd vehicle.......consider the T-belt service and a tune-up. Spending $400 for tires and $600 for the T-belt servicing = $1000. At the end of the day, that's all it will cost ya to keep the TL roadworthy for a few more years.Ya know that $1000 will be well spent if money is tight and ya need a back-up vehicle, won't touch anything else as good.....or even close, if ya wanna buy another vehicle.
Old 09-06-2014, 11:17 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
I agree- there are no recent year cars with the looks and overall greatness that is the TL
what it would cost in insurance on a newer car = ouch!

for an 02 trans to go around 50 was perfectly normal back in the extended warranty period. A rebuilt now should have all the newer better parts installed
Keep it on good fluid- the new Honda dw1, get it changed so its on all new fluid
not the old zr stuff,,read owner book method of 3x3

Tires- look in craigslist for place that runs a ton of ads with many tire sizes listed, with `off brand` tires for really good price, I currently run the best ones the local place had, `forceum` brand- 80 bucks out the door for 235-45-18s! (much less for 16 or 17 inch and standard 195-205 width)

the installer said they were made by Kum%o and the tread is ~very familiar~
ratings on wear good- sticky tires wear out its a trade off wet braking grip is AA= top rating given, and able to cruise or toss it around on the back roads as much as I want.
I have tried several major names between my rides over the years and am truly surprised at the quality you can get in the ~generic~ market.
Tire factories in small countries don't shut down at night- they just change the molds to have the different brand name
they also sell basic tread design tires for just driving down the road- at really low price

see our section on wash and wax, Claybar the cars paint to remove grit in the paint surface making it glass smooth, then polishing compounds to remove layers of scratches, follow with a nice synthetic- wet look- car wax and it looks better than most 10 year old cars

tbelt and water pump due on age and Honda dealers often run specials for 600 or so and will do our car- same exact parts just a few differences in engine management- cooling design.
Ck regions section to find ziners near you- many will help out on a diy project

what I notice on the street is how many newer cars have a TL front or rear end styling!
stick some LED running light strips on the grill and its a brand new looking car!

Seriously- fix it keep it and enjoy it, get a new version nav disc (if equipped)
Of course this is all based on you having a mechanic who knows TL's to give it a good inspection of steering parts- suspension- brakes etc, the normal wear out and failure prone items and say the car is worth spending the cash on--or dump it
Keeping all those fluids changed every few years is really important!
Failure to do can be an expensive lesson in major parts replacement

Unless you plan to get a brand new car with warranty- no used car comes to you in perfect condition!! it was sold for some reason the past owner did not want to deal with. I always figure $1000 to get the average used car up to `safe for the kids to drive` specs

Last edited by 01tl4tl; 09-06-2014 at 11:24 PM.
Old 09-06-2014, 11:45 PM
Team Owner

the local trade school/community college or high school program on auto body repair may be able to help with the paint prep- body repairs and maybe the paint too at a very good price

same for the timing belt water pump- a mechanics training program may be able to hook you up
Old 09-09-2014, 05:05 PM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Guys,

I just test drove the new TLX and was not impressed at all. My 03 TL-S that just turned 245k last week drives much better in my opinion. Its seems to be lighter, more nimble. The 03 engine seems much more responsive, and althought Acura is touting how quiet the TLX is, it may have less wind noise, but my ride has less road noise.

I could not justify ponying up $42, for a newer car. On top of everything else, I got over 26 mpg on the last tank. Mostly freeway driving with A/C.

I am contemplating a new paint job for it as the bumpers have peeled and my front end exhibits the worn clearcoat and thin paint.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
Hey man, if ya really like your old TL and it has a solid tranny......then spending a couple thousand $$ to dress her up may be worth the money for now.
Old 09-09-2014, 07:38 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
at 200,000k, with a 2000TL, I began to replace the parts one by one..Beware, but have fun!
Old 09-09-2014, 07:53 PM
Team Owner

its still less than any ongoing (4-5 years!!!!) car payment, to repair the TL as needed

as for paint- how much time do you spend outside looking at the car,,,especially while driving!
does the dash look bad? get a carpet cover for it = that's all I can see when behind the wheel-

eye focus is not on the hood, its 5 and 10 cars ahead- watching for the problem on the road ahead where it starts- not the guy ahead of you--he's only reacting to brake lights (little driving tip from old guy tom)

seat tearing on the edge, seat covers!!

If the engine runs well and tbelt-wp are kept up with, change the oil and drive it!