Just spoke with Megan regarding their batch 4 headers

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 01:01 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just spoke with Megan regarding their batch 4 headers

Just spoke with a megan rep (steve) about all the concearns with the headers. He said most likely batch 4 will be the last revision if anything they are going to scrap making headers for our car since they all passed leak tests its just an air circulation noise that are causing the headers to make that whooshing noise. He is going to check out that header wrap thread and consider if that helps whatever the problem may be and possibly incorporate that into their headers if it indeed does fix the resonance problem. seemed very helpful and honest about their products and i think il be getting these headers within the month, he also said the gain expected will only be 12-15HP at the flywheel or 8-10 at the wheels not 20 HP like some places claim, i appreciated his honesty and since they warranty their product i think ill be next to post on how batch 4 of megans work.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:47 PM
TL = Tranny Lubrication

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Let's hope batch 4 is the solution
Old 08-02-2005, 02:00 PM
Racer

The first part is true but not the second. The reason is because Ive told the owner about the dyno results. Him and I are good friends and have worked to solve this header issue together. The reps dont know anything about the dyno. They are judging the power gain based on civics and integras. By the way, my dyno with megan header and megan catback will be posted soon on the megan website.
Old 08-02-2005, 02:08 PM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
why would they say 8-10 at the wheels when many of us have posted dyno's showing 18-20? unless they are actually making some kind of technical revision to the headers themselves. but like keepingitclean said, the reps may not know anything about the dyno results themselves.

i'm interested to see the megan catback dyno. if they're gonna stop making headers though then i need to buy another downpipe since i messed mine up. only a matter of time until it rusts through i guess. i will hold off and buy a batch4 pipe.

SSTS
Old 08-02-2005, 02:13 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by SatinSilverTypS
why would they say 8-10 at the wheels when many of us have posted dyno's showing 18-20? unless they are actually making some kind of technical revision to the headers themselves. but like keepingitclean said, the reps may not know anything about the dyno results themselves.

i'm interested to see the megan catback dyno. if they're gonna stop making headers though then i need to buy another downpipe since i messed mine up. only a matter of time until it rusts through i guess. i will hold off and buy a batch4 pipe.

SSTS

Im just going by what i was told, satin silver how did u mess your pipes up? header wrap did it or u bottomed out? the rep said the new down pipe isnt that much lower that i should be concearned about scraping it
Old 08-03-2005, 12:13 AM
Racer

Next time talk to andrew if you wanna call megan.
They wont stop making headers because I sell like two to three each week on the v6 header alone myself. Hey Satinsilver, if you need any help on the downpipe, let me know. Ill just give you my invoice price.
Old 08-03-2005, 08:27 AM
Banned

i've said it before and i'll say it agai, peak gain for the type-s is 32whp.
Old 08-03-2005, 08:30 AM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Originally Posted by AcuraTl203
Im just going by what i was told, satin silver how did u mess your pipes up? header wrap did it or u bottomed out? the rep said the new down pipe isnt that much lower that i should be concearned about scraping it
here's the story on how i messed up my downpipe. my springs/shocks were sagging to begin with, and that small piece of the downpipe hangs about a 1/2 inch lower than the rest of the pipe. there is a speed bump in the parking lot where i work that is just high enough that when i went over it slowly i was able to scrape my downpipe on it. unfortunately it tore the braided sheath on the small section of flexpipe that was hanging low, but the actual inner flexible part was ok. i just worry that it will start rusting now.

the header wrap had absolutely nothing to do with it. the wrap is the best addition i could have made in my opinion. i have photos of the damage in another thread of mine from about a month ago if you're interested. just do a name search and it should pop up.

Originally Posted by keepingitclean
Hey Satinsilver, if you need any help on the downpipe, let me know. Ill just give you my invoice price.
keepingitclean - thanks for the offer. i think it is safe to say i will take you up on that when batch 4 comes out. my manifolds are fine, just that section of downpipe. when is the expected delivery date for the new batch?

SSTS
Old 08-03-2005, 08:59 AM
sumbdy gettin used 2nite!

Originally Posted by car_lost
Do you think you would see close to peak gains with the megans? or are the comptechs that much better?
Old 08-03-2005, 09:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by bmoreTLS
Do you think you would see close to peak gains with the megans? or are the comptechs that much better?
they all get the same gains.
Old 08-03-2005, 09:20 AM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

i have to be honest with you man, i have never seen anyone on this forum with a TLS say they've gotten 32whp. 20-22 is the highest i've seen. are you talking about the CLS 6spd by chance or am i missing something?

Originally Posted by bmoreTLS
you will not get more gains with comptechs. we've proven that on the dyno. you're really paying for the name, but the quality will also be better. although i don't know if it's $1000 better.

SSTS
Old 08-03-2005, 09:21 AM
Banned

i've posted dyno graphs before.
Old 08-03-2005, 09:23 AM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

i've posted dyno graphs before.
of 32whp gains from just headers? i'll have to take a look because i would think you're the only one i've seen then. and keep in mind i'm not trying to flame you. if you got 32whp then that's awesome, but i have honestly never seen anyone else come on here and say that.

i dyno'd my megans with an AEM CAI and got 18whp. do you have FI or something no one knows about?

SSTS
Old 08-03-2005, 09:26 AM
Instructor

Im getting a version 4 batch soon and how much does 20-22 WHP translate into HP at the crank?

Also me and my neighbor are going to install these and I was wondering how hard it is for 2 of us to do it. Hes pretty good with tools and working with cars (has done a whole engine swap a few times) and has all the tools you can imagine. Do they come with detailed instructions or is there a write up on here?
Old 08-03-2005, 10:05 AM
Racer

They need to focus their efforts on getting the hanger positioning correct as a few of us have had the rubber inside the hanger mount split causing severe rattling noises.

I had to have my hanger mount replaced because the hanger is out of position causing a severe strain on the entire exhaust sytem. Basically, to get the hanger to line up with the mount the entire exhaust sytem had to be pushed over. The strain on that rubber piece ultimately caused it to rip in half. Then it was just metal on metal. Eventhough I had to have the mount replaced, the strain is still there and I will prolly wind up having to replace it again once the rubber deteriorates.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:35 AM
New ride...Acura MDX 2013

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NYbsbl04
Im getting a version 4 batch soon and how much does 20-22 WHP translate into HP at the crank?

Also me and my neighbor are going to install these and I was wondering how hard it is for 2 of us to do it. Hes pretty good with tools and working with cars (has done a whole engine swap a few times) and has all the tools you can imagine. Do they come with detailed instructions or is there a write up on here?
I wouldn't but thats just me. Lets say for arguments sake that the gains are somewhere between 5whp and 20whp depending on who you talk to but I guess the guys that do the before and after dyno's would be the best to talk to.

If you're neighbor can swap engines then I'm sure he can install a header, I did my own in about 3 hours by myself on the floor of my shop with my car on ramp stands
Jeff
Old 08-03-2005, 12:57 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mezzerTL-S
I wouldn't but thats just me. Lets say for arguments sake that the gains are somewhere between 5whp and 20whp depending on who you talk to but I guess the guys that do the before and after dyno's would be the best to talk to.

If you're neighbor can swap engines then I'm sure he can install a header, I did my own in about 3 hours by myself on the floor of my shop with my car on ramp stands
Jeff
You wouldnt buy them at all? Ive heard some good and bad things about them, but I hope they have fixed these problems. Maybe some other people can give some insight.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:59 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Elementz
They need to focus their efforts on getting the hanger positioning correct as a few of us have had the rubber inside the hanger mount split causing severe rattling noises.

I had to have my hanger mount replaced because the hanger is out of position causing a severe strain on the entire exhaust sytem. Basically, to get the hanger to line up with the mount the entire exhaust sytem had to be pushed over. The strain on that rubber piece ultimately caused it to rip in half. Then it was just metal on metal. Eventhough I had to have the mount replaced, the strain is still there and I will prolly wind up having to replace it again once the rubber deteriorates.

anyone else had this problem on the megans? especially batch 4?
Old 08-03-2005, 01:38 PM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

anyone else had this problem on the megans? especially batch 4?
my hanger is on the wrong side but the guy who did the installation didn't bother trying to make it fit so i haven't ripped my hanger yet.

bottomline for me: i had some resonance issues, but i bought some header wrap for $40 and fixed it. i have a noticeable power increase (dyno'd at 18.3whp gain). personally for $350 (headers & wrap) i think it was well worth it. if you have money to spend and you're a little worried then buy some new or used comptechs and don't worry about it again. i think you would be happy with the megans though. wait til batch 4 comes out and get a set. you'll be glad you did.

SSTS
Old 08-03-2005, 01:51 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by SatinSilverTypS
my hanger is on the wrong side but the guy who did the installation didn't bother trying to make it fit so i haven't ripped my hanger yet.

bottomline for me: i had some resonance issues, but i bought some header wrap for $40 and fixed it. i have a noticeable power increase (dyno'd at 18.3whp gain). personally for $350 (headers & wrap) i think it was well worth it. if you have money to spend and you're a little worried then buy some new or used comptechs and don't worry about it again. i think you would be happy with the megans though. wait til batch 4 comes out and get a set. you'll be glad you did.

SSTS

batch 4 is out, so im gonna get those
Old 08-03-2005, 02:38 PM
Instructor

btw...if anyone wants them for well under $300, please contact me and ill pass you along the info
Old 08-03-2005, 06:44 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Here's hopin' the fourth time's a charm.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:42 AM
Racer

I got a contact thats selling the megan batch 4s for $215 shipped to the lower 48 states
Old 08-04-2005, 10:24 AM
Racer

I got a contact thats selling the megan batch 4s for $215 shipped to the lower 48 states

jaketheb0mb@yahoo.com , he's an authorized seller so they come with the warranty

Old 08-04-2005, 11:55 AM
Three Wheelin'

i have these Megans...from v6perf.
the third batch.
the only problem i have is the wooshing sound.
and i think i can hear only the rear header, because it closer to the passenger cabin.
i'm thinking about wrapping the rear, and maybe it will insulate the sound somewhat.
but it isn't really that bad.

i expected to hear more noise.
they OEM are cast iron...for quietness amd smoothness.
we put thin walled stainles tubing inplace of thick cast iron.
u gotta expect some noise.

i doubt that the comptechs are as quiet as the OEM iron manifolds.

right?.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:28 PM
Racer

Thats right. The oem ones are steel. The aftermarket ones are T-304 steel which decreases its ability to insulate noise
Old 08-04-2005, 12:29 PM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Originally Posted by joseph_99tl
i expected to hear more noise.
they OEM are cast iron...for quietness amd smoothness.
we put thin walled stainles tubing inplace of thick cast iron.
u gotta expect some noise.

i doubt that the comptechs are as quiet as the OEM iron manifolds.

right?.
i would find it hard to believe that the comptechs would be as quiet as OEM. although apparently they do not have the same whooshing sound, or are thick enough to mask it. i dunno.

SSTS
Old 08-04-2005, 12:59 PM
Meat Man

Just ordered my batch 4 headers -- I'll let you know how it turns out
Old 08-04-2005, 02:47 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by theacolyte
Just ordered my batch 4 headers -- I'll let you know how it turns out

me too
Old 08-08-2005, 02:12 PM
Banned

i got my batch 4, for 200 dollars =D
Old 08-08-2005, 02:37 PM
Racer

wow thats cheap, is that including or without shipping?
Old 08-08-2005, 03:20 PM
Racer

got mine for $215 shipped , vendors info is in this thread somewhere in one of my posts
Old 08-08-2005, 03:43 PM
Meat Man

Arriving today !
Old 08-08-2005, 06:16 PM
Banned

paying 240 USD wit shiipin included, i won a auction on ebay.
Old 08-08-2005, 06:19 PM
is still kickin!

Just spoke with a megan rep (steve) about all the concearns with the headers. He said most likely batch 4 will be the last revision if anything they are going to scrap making headers for our car since they all passed leak tests its just an air circulation noise that are causing the headers to make that whooshing noise. He is going to check out that header wrap thread and consider if that helps whatever the problem may be and possibly incorporate that into their headers if it indeed does fix the resonance problem. seemed very helpful and honest about their products and i think il be getting these headers within the month, he also said the gain expected will only be 12-15HP at the flywheel or 8-10 at the wheels not 20 HP like some places claim, i appreciated his honesty and since they warranty their product i think ill be next to post on how batch 4 of megans work.

how much horsepower do the comptech's give at the wheel?
Old 08-08-2005, 06:42 PM
Meat Man

Recieved headers, they look awesome, great welds, etc. I'll keep you posted on how it goes.
Old 08-09-2005, 12:12 AM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
he also said the gain expected will only be 12-15HP at the flywheel or 8-10 at the wheels not 20 HP like some places claim:

Other places don't "claim that;" they promise it. And they deliver upon thath promise. Dyno proven time and time again.

www.comptechusa.com
Old 08-09-2005, 01:19 AM
Racer

Like I said in the previous post, megan was wrong because satinsilvertypes dynoed his car and his gains were on the mark with comptech.
Also, no one with comptech headers were able to put out the same gains comptech's dyno showed.
Old 08-09-2005, 07:08 AM
Three Wheelin'

have they made changes to batch 4?.
if so..what?.
i also thought the welds were look good.
Old 08-09-2005, 07:17 AM
Three Wheelin'

i meant.

the welds look good.
nice and clean and uniform.
the 'stacked coins' look!.

i think the front of the downpipe is too low.
i scraped.

Quick Reply: Just spoke with Megan regarding their batch 4 headers