Just Raced a VETTE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2001, 06:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just Raced a VETTE!!!

welll it was our 5th anniversary living in Canada, so... we were goin out for dinner, and at the lites a white, last generation corvette comes up...i have my sister my dad and my mom and descent amount of luagage in the back... the vette driver was like 80, and his wife beside him along with a huge dog...lol...i knew he was gonna punch it cuz it was a nice road, so before the lite turns green i tell my dad i'm gonna punch it just so that he wont get surprised...

the lite goes green, and we had a pretty equal start...

god that thing was loud...only his front wheel was infront of me untill 100kph(60mph)...then slowly my car started to fall back...i knew i was gonna losse...its a v8 and its a VETTE!... and we went up to about 150 or 160 kph ( about 100 mph?...) and then i slowed down since i had my whole family in the car and it we were supposed to be going for a nice dinner so i didnt want to ruin the nite by getting in trouble...so i slowed down...

how do those older vettes perform??? i kno for sure (or guessing) that they are faster then our type-s... and i'm pretty sure that old guy didnt kno how to drive since i was pretty close on him...maybe if i learn to have faster starts it mite have been close... i'm only 15, and i'm guessing u older guys wouldnt race vettes wit tls...but it was a chance for me to actually race someone..hehe it was fun and i had to vent out my story so..haha
Old 10-02-2001, 06:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
your korean? me too. damn, If I had my dad in the car and floored it he would of slapped me so hard my air bag would pop.
I think what happen was he was 'letting' you keep up and he wasn't pulling to see how u would do. and then he was like ahhh, forget it and launched off. Plus you had people in your car so no way you would of kept up w/ a vette for that long.

BTW, this is what i usuallly do if I see a slower car trying to race, I ususally keep right next to him so he 'thinks' he's winning or 'keeping up' but in actuallity, i'm only in 3000~4000k in 3rd gear waiting to downshift and launch into 2nd
Old 10-02-2001, 07:30 PM
Banned

you are a dumbass.... dont ever think about racing when you have your family in the car!!!!
Old 10-02-2001, 07:35 PM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,182 Likes on 690 Posts
Originally posted by Crzy Acura
you are a dumbass.... dont ever think about racing when you have your family in the car!!!!
Thats what i was thinking Acura Crazy Nothing personal but if your parents let you get to a hundred racing another car they dont care about you or themselves very much.
Old 10-02-2001, 09:39 PM
Racer

good enuff

Hi,
Got balls of steel to race a corvette with a your whole family in the car. ITs aiight tls is a fast car but corvette is freakin crazy as hell man. Drag races i dont like because its about how much money you have to fix up the car. No skills involve. I do dtreet racing a little more DANGEROUS but a little more fun. I dont raee anymore thought with my tls but when i had my camry I did a few races. I am not that much older so yea keep on racing man. Good competition are hard to find to race with a fast car like the tls. Wanna hear your first win man and it betta be against a fast ass car aiight? koo latez

Mark
Old 10-02-2001, 09:51 PM
Racer

Dumb story, the proof, he's just 15. I wonder how could his dad let him drive where the minimum age is 16 in Canada.

Get out!!
Old 10-02-2001, 10:08 PM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I once let a civic ride by me when i had my SVT Contour. He tried to pass but i kept him in check. Then his front tires squeeled and he was out like there was no tomorrow. I catch up to him and he was spraying a 100 shot of NOS.
Old 10-02-2001, 10:08 PM
Pro

hey, how are you able to drive being 15? Is Alberta law different?
Old 10-02-2001, 10:25 PM
Pro

Nope you still have to be 16 in Alberta (I am from Edmonton). It is only legal for him to drive with ONE passanger 18 years or older. He cannot be driving with a car load of people with his learners...

B

Originally posted by hooked2TL
hey, how are you able to drive being 15? Is Alberta law different?
Old 10-02-2001, 11:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Hmmm...makes you kinda wonder if it's his car or did his parents buy it for him? I mean, unless the labor laws in Canada are different than here in the U.S., how does a 15-year old save up enough money to buy a TL-S just by working? Sure, I wouldn't mind if someone helped me buy a car, but there's something to be said about being a bit proud of getting something all on your own without having to rely on rich parents or friends.

Anyways, if what others say about the legal driving age up in Canada is true--I wouldn't be talking about racing other cars if I were you; not that the law could hold it against you or anything like that, just that it wouldn't be something I would enjoy telling others about, IMHO.

Tony
Old 10-02-2001, 11:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by NOVAwhiteTypeS
your korean? me too. damn, If I had my dad in the car and floored it he would of slapped me so hard my air bag would pop.
I think what happen was he was 'letting' you keep up and he wasn't pulling to see how u would do. and then he was like ahhh, forget it and launched off. Plus you had people in your car so no way you would of kept up w/ a vette for that long.

BTW, this is what i usuallly do if I see a slower car trying to race, I ususally keep right next to him so he 'thinks' he's winning or 'keeping up' but in actuallity, i'm only in 3000~4000k in 3rd gear waiting to downshift and launch into 2nd
Hey I'm Korean too and my dad would have kicked my a$$ for doing that if he was next to me....Just keep it cool with passengers, you don't want something bad to happen to all..........
Old 10-02-2001, 11:36 PM
It's Go-Time.

Why is everyone flamming for: how can a 15yr old afford a TLS...is he old enuf to drive legally ...why is he racing a Vette. Lilboykorea was merely telling a race story & all alarms starts ringing. Take the post for what it is.
Old 10-02-2001, 11:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by tdoh
Hmmm...makes you kinda wonder if it's his car or did his parents buy it for him? I mean, unless the labor laws in Canada are different than here in the U.S., how does a 15-year old save up enough money to buy a TL-S just by working? Sure, I wouldn't mind if someone helped me buy a car, but there's something to be said about being a bit proud of getting something all on your own without having to rely on rich parents or friends.

Anyways, if what others say about the legal driving age up in Canada is true--I wouldn't be talking about racing other cars if I were you; not that the law could hold it against you or anything like that, just that it wouldn't be something I would enjoy telling others about, IMHO.

Tony
I found the answer to my own question from one of lilboy's posts--he's only 15 and is driving on a learner's permit, and it's not his car but his dad's.

I dunno about the rest of you, but I would feel kinda weird talking about driving someone else's car and acting as if it was my very own. But hey, lilboy--more power to you; just keep it cool when you have passengers. Young people like yourself who appear to come across as perhaps a bit brash usually get burned later on in life if they're not too careful...

Tony
Old 10-02-2001, 11:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by GOT PSI?
Why is everyone flamming for: how can a 15yr old afford a TLS...is he old enuf to drive legally ...why is he racing a Vette. Lilboykorea was merely telling a race story & all alarms starts ringing. Take the post for what it is.
I wasn't flaming, just telling him about my dad and what he would have done..........
Old 10-03-2001, 12:41 AM
Type SSS

Originally posted by NOVAwhiteTypeS

Originally posted by evolaerok
Hey I'm Korean too and my dad would have kicked my a$$ for doing that

You guys know how KOREAN DAD'S are!!! . If you do something that they disapprove or dislike, they will KICK YOUR ASS (out of Love!:p )
That how my Father use to be. Now that my father is getting old, he's calm down a lot but I know exactly what you guys are talking about.

BTW did I mention that I was Korean too?
Old 10-03-2001, 10:56 AM
Three Wheelin'

Wow alot Koreans here.....
Old 10-03-2001, 11:22 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by GOT PSI?
I think some people were implicitly questioning his maturity or common sense (or lack thereof of either one). Picking a race is one thing, but to do it with the entire family in the vehicle with you? I dunno about him or his family but I personally wouldn't do something that would risk the safety of my passenger(s) unless they were cool with it, and even then I would still think twice before doing so.

Tony
Old 10-03-2001, 11:24 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by evolaerok
Wow alot Koreans here.....
Oh well, what the heck--I'm Korean, too...any more?

Maybe someone might wanna start up an ethnic survey of TL-S owners...

Tony
Old 10-03-2001, 11:42 AM
Three Wheelin'

LoLz........No survey needed, but damn Koreans drive nice cars... I went to Los Angelos about two weeks ago and I went to Korea town with my dad. Never have I seen so many Lexus', Benz, Bimmers.... all in one area.. Made me look cheap in my Acura......
Old 10-03-2001, 01:25 PM
Intermediate

Anyway , back to the vette. What year was it ??
If it was an 84 w/cross fire injection , I know that car wasn't that fast.

6.8 0-60 w/automatic trans.

Just not that fast.
It would be a close race if it was an 84'.

If it was tunned port injection , forgett it. Anything newer would have just been playing unless someone missed a gear.
Old 10-03-2001, 01:43 PM
Instructor

sheesh

I dunno... I don't think we should be too hard on the guy. I mean he's 15 and probably got a load of adrenaline pumped into him while racing, and just had to tell us. Besides, I don't think it's TOO dangerous, I'm pretty sure ANY ethnicity mom or dad would do something about the situation if it started to get out of hand. I agree with some of the the other posters, just take the post as is and stop being a parent to the kid (he already has 2 )

On a lighter note, I would also like to mention that I'm korean and I DON'T have a TL-S. I'm a poor college student trying to pay the bills and tuition. I only dream about it in class and at work. This is my 4th and final year so hopefully I'll be rolling in the $$$ soon (computer science major - JAVA 4 life! )

Oh and about the KoreaTown thing. I go there about once a month from San Diego to the Korean clubs and yes, all you ever see are benz, lexus, and mercedes. Drives me crazy to see how those people WASTED their money (because majority are 40 year old korean mothers who can't drive worth a damn anyways... )

neoJIN <-- get it?
Old 10-03-2001, 06:27 PM
Drifting

Alright guys, I think this thread has gone beyond the TLS.