Just had my windows tinted

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2002, 08:30 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Just had my windows tinted

I just had my windows tinted on my 2002 anthracite TL. 35% on the sides and 15% on the the rear window. What a nice difference, and the tinting looks especially good on this coloured vehicle. Just wanted to let you guys know, in case you were considering this!
Old 04-15-2002, 11:14 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BLEXV6

Yes I've been considering this for some time... however am hesitant as I want to find a reputatble place to do it.

I'm paranoid when anyone touches my car !

I'm curious as to the brand of tint and also what the price was...
Was it in Toronto.... or in Rockwood....(BTW where is Rockwood ?)

Thanks
TLS RULZ
Old 04-15-2002, 11:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did they tint your rear window in one peice or in strips?
Old 04-16-2002, 11:32 AM
BlingBling INSPIRE 32V

Tint always look good w/dark colored cars.
Old 04-16-2002, 12:45 PM
O.G.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats on the tints. It definitely makes the car look even better.

BTW, where are the pics?
Old 04-16-2002, 02:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
good place for tints? (in ONT)

Hey --

Where's the place you had the tints done, BLEXV6? If you don't mind telling us, how much did you pay? Kinda curious 'cause I wanna know what is a "reasonable" price to pay.

Thanks in advance.

----
Derrick
'02 EBP Type-S -- just Zaino'ed, Meguair's Hot Wheels (exhaust tips / stock rims), Meguiar's Scratch-X (to get rid of mall parking scratches)
Mods: factory spoiler, PIAA 9006 Platinum fogs, Acura-TL.com license frame
Upcoming: tints, bodykit
Old 04-16-2002, 08:35 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by TLS RULZ
BLEXV6

Yes I've been considering this for some time... however am hesitant as I want to find a reputatble place to do it.

I'm paranoid when anyone touches my car !

I'm curious as to the brand of tint and also what the price was...
Was it in Toronto.... or in Rockwood....(BTW where is Rockwood ?)

Thanks
TLS RULZ
Rockwood is about 30 KMS N/W of Mississauga, depending where you are in Mississauga. BTW, I work in Mississauga. The guy is out of Guelph. The cost was $230.00 including tax. He did it in my driveway. BTW, I am extremely anal, especially with my cars, and the job was excellent. I had the same person do my 1998 Accord V6, which my wife still drives.
Old 04-16-2002, 08:37 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by BlackShadow
Congrats on the tints. It definitely makes the car look even better.

BTW, where are the pics?
I will post the pics of my car on the weekend, if this board lets me.
Old 04-20-2002, 09:02 AM
Senior Moderator

Talking getting mine done on Tuesday!

BLEXV6 ,

Thanks for the info -- I'm getting mine tinted this Tuesday (Apr 23). Any suggestions as to what colour to pick? I have eternal blue pearl. I was thinking the black-ish hue -- the platinum / silver combo would look weird on my car, I think...

It's gonna cost me C$199 + tax (approx C$230) at a local place. They look like straight up guys so we'll see how it turns out. Asked Apple AutoGlass and they wanted C$229 + tax. Whatever! I think they are milking their name.

Will be driving up to T.O. this upcoming weekend for a conference. Any forum members be around?

- derrick
Old 04-20-2002, 03:04 PM
Drifting

Re: getting mine done on Tuesday!

Originally posted by derrick
BLEXV6 ,

Thanks for the info -- I'm getting mine tinted this Tuesday (Apr 23). Any suggestions as to what colour to pick? I have eternal blue pearl. I was thinking the black-ish hue -- the platinum / silver combo would look weird on my car, I think...

It's gonna cost me C$199 + tax (approx C$230) at a local place. They look like straight up guys so we'll see how it turns out. Asked Apple AutoGlass and they wanted C$229 + tax. Whatever! I think they are milking their name.

Will be driving up to T.O. this upcoming weekend for a conference. Any forum members be around?

- derrick
I have the black tint on mine and it cost $230, including taxes. The platnum look is not to my liking. The one thing about using Apple Auto, at least you know they are an accross country company and willm stand up behind their service. On the other hand, if the lower cost place does a good job, (ask to see their work), why not. My only point is that you want the job done right.

The tint will make your car look great. BTW, what % of tint are you going to put on it?
Old 04-21-2002, 01:26 PM
Senior Moderator

35% sides, 20% rear

BlexV6,

I was gonna do 35% on the sides, 20% on the back. A couple of friends (in NJ) told me to be careful -- cops don't like dark tints. However, I haven't heard of OPP pulling anyone over for overdark tints down here in SW Ontario... Hey ... is 15% in the rear that tough to see through at night??? (I've heard of people lowering their side windows when they back up at night...)

Yeah, I think I'll go with the black tint -- have a darker colour car and the dark tint will complement. Thanks for the advice. So excited to get the tints!!!

- derrick
'02 EBP TL Type-S
mods: OEM rear spoiler, PIAA 9006 Platinum fogs
future mods: tints (this Tuesday!), bodykit (after tax return)
Old 04-21-2002, 07:06 PM
Drifting

Re: 35% sides, 20% rear

Originally posted by derrick
BlexV6,

I was gonna do 35% on the sides, 20% on the back. A couple of friends (in NJ) told me to be careful -- cops don't like dark tints. However, I haven't heard of OPP pulling anyone over for overdark tints down here in SW Ontario... Hey ... is 15% in the rear that tough to see through at night??? (I've heard of people lowering their side windows when they back up at night...)

Yeah, I think I'll go with the black tint -- have a darker colour car and the dark tint will complement. Thanks for the advice. So excited to get the tints!!!

- derrick
'02 EBP TL Type-S
mods: OEM rear spoiler, PIAA 9006 Platinum fogs
future mods: tints (this Tuesday!), bodykit (after tax return)
I don't think there is a problem with tint of 15 or 20% on the back window but it would probably be a problem on the sides. That said, my 1998 Accord V6 has 20% all the way around, and I thought it was too dark, and my buddys @ work call it the pimp mobile, as this is also a black car. I wanted the 35% on the sides and my wife was home when the guy came to tint my Accord and did not realize what I wanted. BTW, I have never been bothered by the cops, due to the tint. Mind you, I do not drive my car like a maniac anymore and do not draw attention too myself.

Anyway, when my TL was being tinted, I was there. I like the 35% on the sides much better. The 15% at the back is fine @ night, and you can see fine.
Old 05-17-2002, 08:10 PM
Racer

provide guys contact?

Blexv6,

I was wondering if you could provide this guys contact. I want to tint my car but I am too scared to go to shops I do not know. A couple of co-workers took their preludes to some guy and they got bubbles and the guy did not even clean the glass properly!

I would like to ask the guy these questions...
1. Would he be willing to come to Mississauga. (I'm near the Erin Mills town center BTW)
2. Did he tint your back window in 1 piece or 2 pieces

and most importantly.

3. How did the Matrix portion around the top and edge of the back window turn out ?

I would appreciate any help.. as I would like to do it with someone who has done TL's before.

Thanks again
TLS RULZ
Old 05-17-2002, 08:20 PM
Racer

I also have a 2002 Anthracite TL, but I went for a darker tint...18% all around and one peice in rear with no cutout for third brake light cuz I have the OEM spoiler.
Old 05-17-2002, 08:32 PM
Drifting

Re: provide guys contact?

Blexv6,

I was wondering if you could provide this guys contact. I want to tint my car but I am too scared to go to shops I do not know. A couple of co-workers took their preludes to some guy and they got bubbles and the guy did not even clean the glass properly!

I would like to ask the guy these questions...
1. Would he be willing to come to Mississauga. (I'm near the Erin Mills town center BTW)
2. Did he tint your back window in 1 piece or 2 pieces

and most importantly.

3. How did the Matrix portion around the top and edge of the back window turn out ?

I would appreciate any help.. as I would like to do it with someone who has done TL's before.

Thanks again
TLS RULZ
I will get the telephone number and name of the guy I used, but I need to look for it. He does the job in your driveway.

I do not know if he used one or two pieces on the back window.

Also, the job was good but the dot matrix is not perfect, that is some of the dot matrix dots are not totally pressed, but I am not sure if you could ever get them all. I am quite anal, but I think it looks fine.
Old 05-17-2002, 09:30 PM
Iconoclast

BLEXV6

Years ago when I lived in Toronto, I had tinting done by Zeibart. Great job - a bit more that the smaller shops but it was professioanlly done. Are their stores still around?
Old 05-18-2002, 02:16 PM
Instructor

Ive got 15% Llumina all round (one piece in the back, with the vinyl strip up top over rear mesh). I love it, never pulled over either. It is not too dark at night, and there are no visual problems thru the sides or rearviews either. $140 for all.

I had 5% all round on my mustang and it WAS too dark.....
Old 05-19-2002, 08:07 AM
Pro

My wife drives a CR-V (originally supposed to be mine). It has 9 windows (the same as a Grand Cherokee). Anyway, I had everything behind the front doors tinted at 5% and the driver and passenger doors at 35%. NJ is very strict on tinting laws but we haven't been pulled over in the lamost 5 years we've had it. Every 2 years I pay $60 to have the tint removed from the front - I go through inspection - and have it put back on.

The car is dark green so the tint really looks good.
Old 05-19-2002, 12:47 PM
Advanced

Come to Baltimore. My friend does all my tinting. $100.00 bucks if they are a friend of mine. He does excellent work. 15 yrs in the business. Perfect cuts, 1 peice rear windows, etc.......
Old 05-19-2002, 02:24 PM
Instructor

heres what my 15% looks like...

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/utcoldone...src=ph&.view=t
Old 05-19-2002, 03:23 PM
Drifting

[QUOTE]Originally posted by my99tl
heres what my 15% looks like...

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/utcoldone...src=ph&.view=t
[/QUOTE

I have the 15% on the side windows of my black Accord, and I always thought it was too dark, especially @ night. Thats why I did the 35% on the sides for my TL. I prefer the lighter tint. It all comes down to what you want.