JPTLS21 Thanks for the post

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2002, 10:32 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JPTLS21 Thanks for the post

Sorry but I have to say its BS. I also have a friend who is a Honda tech. He worked for Acura also. He is a tranny expert and says that it is way blown out of proportion. He said the tranny has the same fail rate as the Accord and Oddesy. When you gather 4500 TL owners on one site you here every horror story, but think about the actual amount of tranny's replaced. 100% is wayyyyy off. He said he does not replace that many of them. Yes there is a problem with the 02-03 but he is so confident in the car that he works on for a living that he bought one himself(02 TL). I wish there was no talk about tranny's on this forum, because to tell you the truth I never heard about a wide spread problem until I joined. Dwelling on the aparent trouble in Honda's recent transmitions(5 speed mostly) is not going to help the problem at all. If it is gonna blow, its gonna blow. So I wish everyone would stop worrying and just enjoy the car you spent 30k on. How public was the trouble with Hyundai when they interduced thier line of cars. Nothing but a tranny nightmare it was. The TL would NOT be rated one of the safest reliable cars if there was that big of a problem. It would be more publisised. Like my friend said, way to blown out of proportion. If they are sooo bad, why are they still selling like hotcakes. Even with an anounced redesign next year. Most people do homework before spending 30 gees and still chose a TL. Buy the way my friend is not the only Honda/Acura tech that told me "stop worrying and just enjoy the car!"

Oh well go ahead and flame me now.
JPTLS21, as a new owner I certainly appreciate this post. The inordinate # of posts on this board and the 1.6% rate simply don't jive. I am aware there is a problem and know that many people on this board have gone through hell, but I do appreciate the words above.

I'm a new owner, so I guess I'm trying to make myself feel better about my purchase. We also have an Odyssey, so this news (LA story) is something I was very interested in, as well as all posts on this board and acura-cl.com.

But, I didn't dive into this purchase without much thought and research. I also talked to many people and think I made the right decision. That is all.
Old 09-20-2002, 10:42 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Glad you agree with him... in the big picture, the problem is small, but on a small community like this... it appears huge.

Anyway... I'm going to close this since we don't need another topic about trannies... you can PM him to continue the conversation further.

Below is a link about Honda/Acura offering extended warranties to those with problems.... enjoy

http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...threadid=46826