Jaguar x type

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2002, 09:29 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Jaguar x type

c/d tested it out and was able to do 0-60 in just 6.3 sec.
anyone here race the new x type.
Old 01-27-2002, 09:31 AM
Ex TL-S owner

oh........this should be fun, but I don't think you will find a jag owner who wants to race.
Old 01-27-2002, 09:46 AM
Burning Brakes

I just finished watching that episode of c/d too. I have a hard time believe its 0-60 is 6.3!!
Old 01-27-2002, 10:06 AM
...and then there was One

The X-Type is all-wheel drive, right? That would help out acceleration, but where would it be accelerating to? A garage to be fixed? Now it's not just a Jaguar, it's also part Ford.
Old 01-27-2002, 10:07 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by SimTypeS
The X-Type is all-wheel drive, right? That would help out acceleration, but where would it be accelerating to? A garage to be fixed? Now it's not just a Jaguar, it's also part Ford.
My thoughts exactly!!
Old 01-27-2002, 12:45 PM
www.cardomain.com/id/perr

I saw that episode of C/D yesterday as well that's a pretty impressive time. I do agree about the build quality though. Edmunds did a retration so to spak on there review of the X-type

X-Type 1st drive/Editors note
Old 01-27-2002, 12:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

I agree with CarFreak. Jag owners are usually in their 50's - 60's, maybe in the 40's if they can afford it. They buy the Jag for the prestige, not the engine power. The only response I've received from passing any Jag by is the flashing of lights.
Old 01-27-2002, 01:11 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't really see how the X-Type can do low 6s. Wonder how high CD dumped the clutch at
Old 01-27-2002, 01:33 PM

Lightbulb

A 30k jag based on a Ford=prestige???? Jag purists are not amused.
And car mags have gotten low 6s for the x-type too, this is very possible with the manual....
Old 01-27-2002, 01:50 PM
¤ Club Inspire ¤

IMHO, I rather get a Mercedes or BMW. wat a piece of shieeeet...

Both front chairs rocked and rattled.

The center console was hard to open and close due to its loose latch mechanisms.

All three screws on the glovebox door were loose, causing it to rattle and resist closing.

The map pocket on the driver's seatback was improperly mounted, allowing a plastic bracket to poke through the vinyl like a severed bone.

Some of the leather on the rear seat was buckling, suggesting sloppy installation.

The vibration in the dash was so severe that the nav system's display moved up and down while the car was in motion. Our stereo expert also noted screen distortion when the volume was turned up halfway (likely due to a power drain).

We had no difficulty pulling apart various interior components with our hands, including the steering wheel housing and the center console-mounted cupholder.

On several occasions, the key remained stuck in the ignition after we had shut off the engine and accessory functions. We had to restart the Jaguar, shift from park to reverse and back, and then, turn off the car to retrieve the key.

The emergency trunk release broke off in one editor's hand as we were inspecting the trunk. (So much for saving trapped youngsters.)
Old 01-27-2002, 02:27 PM
Shogun Assassin

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by ElegantTL
IMHO, I rather get a Mercedes or BMW. wat a piece of shieeeet...
I partially agree with you...I'd take the a 3 over the X, but I'd take the X over the C.
Old 01-27-2002, 02:49 PM
Burning Brakes

The cars in a manufacturers test fleet get the crap beaten out of them by the reporters and editors at the car rags. So there's no way of knowing if the car left the factory that way or suffered abuse afterward. It could have also been a pre-production model used specifically for pre-release testing and will be destroyed when they’re done with it. Other articles I've read haven't been nearly as critical of the build quality of the X-Type. The overuse of plastics in the interior is another story. If I were in the market today I'd still consider the X-Type.
Old 01-27-2002, 04:53 PM
¤ Club Inspire ¤

Originally posted by fahoumh

I partially agree with you...I'd take the a 3 over the X, but I'd take the X over the C.
oh yeah...but also..I'm not attracted to the Jaguar's looks either.
Old 01-27-2002, 05:35 PM
Intermediate

I actually drove the jag with the sport package.I have to say i was impressed.OK i agree the engine isn't as refined as ours and that reliability isn't so great.But the interior was very nice .It had black burl wood,(real wood).Nice sport seat with very nice leather and the extirior styling is also very nice.Now i would still take a 330 instead but i prefer the X-TYPE over the c-class and IS 300.

SO before flaming the car go out and try it.
Old 01-27-2002, 09:02 PM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by 99 BLACK TL
I actually drove the jag with the sport package.I have to say i was impressed.OK i agree the engine isn't as refined as ours and that reliability isn't so great.But the interior was very nice .It had black burl wood,(real wood).Nice sport seat with very nice leather and the extirior styling is also very nice.Now i would still take a 330 instead but i prefer the X-TYPE over the c-class and IS 300.

SO before flaming the car go out and try it.
but look at the price man...

if get a loaded one, that's gonna cost you 70k CD out the door tax in. That's just as much as the S4...

HID is optional, Moonroof is optional... I don't know... I would rather have the audi or the Bimmer... KMHO
Old 01-27-2002, 11:28 PM
Shogun Assassin

Originally posted by ElegantTL
oh yeah...but also..I'm not attracted to the Jaguar's looks either.
I don't mind it that much simply b/c it reminds me of the XJ series. But when I get a Jaguar, it will most def. be an XJ model or an XK. Or perhaps the F-Type if it's available.
Old 01-27-2002, 11:50 PM
Comptech Freak

Originally posted by SimTypeS
awd only gives slower acceleration than RWD and FWD...but surprisingly the FORD DURATEC V6 is so strong to push this car into low 6 seconds range...that was what review says...

if i want an AWD compact sedan, Audi A4 is definitely my choice

i would only get a jag if it's XJ or XK...no baby jags
Old 01-28-2002, 02:52 AM
Pro

heck i'd take a tl-s over it
Old 01-28-2002, 03:18 AM
Racer

Whenever I see the Jag, I only see it as a Ford. I guess those that buy it like the name. It is a pretty car though.
Old 01-28-2002, 10:19 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Not to start anything here, but some of you guys have to get off the high horse and realize that you drive an acura and not a bentley. Sure the Jag shares ford components, but you make ford look the worse company ever. To remain in business they must be doing something right. American cars are not the best as far as quality is concerned, but when i had my contour, i never had as much trouble as i do with my TL. even over at the board no one complained much. Ever since i got here all i hear is tranny this, sunroof that, rattle hear, squeak there. If i wanted to feel like i was in a box of coins i would have bought an 85 camaro. Seriously think about how much you guys complain about your cars and then talk about reliability of other companies. Every company makes great cars, ford has its trucks and the Mustangs, navigator, GM has the denali and escalade, which are better than any german suv wannabe, and it has Corvette and f body cars. I'd rather have a z06 vette over an NSX anyday. Not only does it look better, but its cheaper too. For the price of the NSX i could have a viper GTS. The NSX is an overpriced, underpowered car. An M3 would be a better choice. I own a TL and love my car, but every company has a rotten apple and it just so happens that the TL and CL are giving us owners some problems.
Old 01-28-2002, 12:22 PM
Shogun Assassin

bigman makes a strong point....and to anybody here who loves Jaguars as much as I do: without Ford, Jaguar would have went out of business.

The XJ's and the XK's are decent sellers, but Jaguar needs more affordable cars like the S-Type and the X-Type to push help push sales. Jaguar is still carrying the bad rep from their "one week on the road, one week in the shop" days. It will probably be a little while longer before Jaguar will be revered by the public as it was in its glory days. I hope it will happen sooner than later because Jaguar makes magnificent cars.
Old 01-28-2002, 06:33 PM

Well I USED to think of Jags as DREAM CARS. You know unaffordable, panache, rare. A 30k Jag will NEVER be a Jag, it will only cheapen the brand. I don't care if Toyota made it. A Jag should be a 60k and up vehicle.....IMO
Old 01-28-2002, 06:45 PM
Shogun Assassin

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Well I USED to think of Jags as DREAM CARS. You know unaffordable, panache, rare. A 30k Jag will NEVER be a Jag, it will only cheapen the brand. I don't care if Toyota made it. A Jag should be a 60k and up vehicle.....IMO
what about the M-B C-class?
Old 01-28-2002, 07:59 PM
Comptech Freak

Originally posted by fahoumh
what about the M-B C-class?
C class sux...it's for those who wants mercedes but can't afford one...

so does the X-type...

that's y my dad only gets the E class or S class...they are far better than C class

So does the BMW 5 series compare to the 3 series
Old 01-28-2002, 08:05 PM

Well I never considered one but IMO they are very SOLID Luxury cars. You want sport, go elsewhere or get a C32 for 50k. C-class Benz is a great car. It knows it's role....
Old 01-29-2002, 10:11 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 156 Likes on 87 Posts
I have to agree with 1SickLex (again!). Say what you will about the C-class or the 3-series, but those cars make a lot of money for MB and BMW and the goal is to get people established in the brand so that they will step up as time goes on. That was Acura's goal with the Integra, CL, TL, RL progression as well.

Jaguar is trying to do the same thing, but I think it's going to backfire. They have always had a mystique due to their rarity and price. Now that you see Jags all over the road, CHEAP Jags, the brand has lost that special status. The cars themselves are still too stodgy to attract much of the younger market, so they cannot build brand loyalty over time. So not only will they not make a lot of money on the cheap ones, but the truly rich who would like something presitigious will look elsewhere. Do you think upper class folks would wear Versace or Gucci if they introduced a downscale clothing line at Wal-Mart?
Old 01-29-2002, 11:28 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

The rich need to get their noses out of their friends a$$es and not give a flyin fig about what other people have and dont. If you go on in life caring about who's wearng what and who's driving what, you will be living a life of hell. I am my own person and i admit i have a lil extra money to spend, but that doesnt mean that i have to by a CLK if i like a Mustang. So everyone has it, but i like it. So screw them, i feel richer by driving what i enjoy, not what i hate but everyone else likes. Its the world today, what can you do. How come people with a little less can't buy a Jag or benz or BMW, why because the rich dont want them to. F*ck them, i'll knock their teeth out and sue them for making my knucles bleed.
Old 01-29-2002, 02:29 PM
Shogun Assassin

Originally posted by Iceman
Jaguar is trying to do the same thing, but I think it's going to backfire. They have always had a mystique due to their rarity and price. Now that you see Jags all over the road, CHEAP Jags, the brand has lost that special status.
Again, Jaguar needs the X-Type and the S-Type to help push sales, just like MB does with the C-class and the BMW does with the 3-series.

I feel that anyone who knows anything about luxury will not recognize the X-Type as a true Jaguar. The same can be applied to the C, with the possible exception of the C32 AMG...and the base model 3's, like a 325i with next-to-no options.

Take it from someone who's driven a '98 740i, an '01 X5 3.0i, a '00 MB S500, a '97 SL500, and a '97 MB E420 AMG...plus my dad's VDP.
Old 01-29-2002, 02:31 PM
Shogun Assassin

Originally posted by bigman
The rich need to get their noses out of their friends a$$es and not give a flyin fig about what other people have and dont. If you go on in life caring about who's wearng what and who's driving what, you will be living a life of hell. I am my own person and i admit i have a lil extra money to spend, but that doesnt mean that i have to by a CLK if i like a Mustang. So everyone has it, but i like it. So screw them, i feel richer by driving what i enjoy, not what i hate but everyone else likes. Its the world today, what can you do. How come people with a little less can't buy a Jag or benz or BMW, why because the rich dont want them to. F*ck them, i'll knock their teeth out and sue them for making my knucles bleed.
You can't say this about just rich people, it can be applied to people of all classes. And I think you might be thinking of snobs. There is a difference.
Old 01-29-2002, 03:50 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I also saw the C/D piece. I like the style of the car, I even think it looks nicer than the XJ series, but I also had a hard time believing the 0-60 times. Yes AWD helps launch you faster, but the added hardware does weigh down the car, couple that with HP/Torque ratings LOWER than a TL-S, it just doesn't make sense.... on paper at least.

As for the Ford/Jag thing, I've never been a big Ford fan, but anyone who knows anything about the automotive industry, knows that Jags were the most horrid, unreliable, although beautiful machines on the road during the pre-Ford years.

Since Ford bought them out, reliability has increased dramatically, you gotta give Ford credit for that.

$40k+ seems a little steep to me for a loaded X-Type, although you can buy a "stripper" version for low to mid $30K, but when I'm spending that kind of money, I want leather, sunroof and some additional toys.
Old 01-29-2002, 07:46 PM
Instructor

X-type is Unimpressive

Funny that this came up because my best friend rented an X-type 3.0 this past weekend and we had the privelege of putting the first 50 miles on it.

My impressions - Although not a big Jag fan (except for the S), I have to say I thought the exterior was pretty sharp. My only complaint was this wierd plastic rear underbody lip thing that just looked like crap.

The first thing I thought about the interior was "SMALL". Compared to the TL it is tight... forget putting taller people in the back seat for long periods of time - there's not much leg room or head room - I think the X would have been much better as a couple. Finally, maybe I'm just picky, but CD changers in the trunk in a 30K+ car is a laugher.

Compared to my stock TL-S the thing was a dog! I don't know how anybody could run it at 6.3 - were you using NOS and a stopwatch? We didn't time it but I would guess I had at least a half-second advantage.

To be fair, the X wasn't properly broken in - dunno how it would have performed with some miles on it. It did, however break down with less than 100 miles on it and left my friend stranded with an overheated radiator.

Final verdict - He liked the Lincoln LS they subbed for the X 10 times better, and to me there was not much of a comparison.
Old 01-29-2002, 10:27 PM
Intermediate

THE REASON THE JAGS ARE NOT PRETTY RELAIBLE IS B/C FORD REALIZED THAT THE JAPS KNOW ABOUT CARS SO THEY ARE USING DENSO COMPONENTS LIKE IN OUR CARS. SO OF COURSE THEY ARE GONNA BE ALOT BETTER. THAT'S WHAT I HEARD THAT THEY USE DENSO NOW. THAT LUCAS COMPANY WAS THE WORST AND FORD FIGURED OUT THAT THEIR ELECTRICAL PROABLY WOULDN'T BE MUCH BETTER. SO THEY WENT WITH DENSO CAN'T GO WRONG THERE
Old 01-30-2002, 12:15 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

fahoumh you are right, let me correct myself and say snobs. I have many friends that have money and my family has money, but we drive normal cars and spend wisely, thats why we live happy. My father has a 540 but he doesnt get mad when my cuz comes by in his 528. Its just the snobs.
Old 01-30-2002, 10:30 AM
Shogun Assassin

Originally posted by bigman
fahoumh you are right, let me correct myself and say snobs. I have many friends that have money and my family has money, but we drive normal cars and spend wisely, thats why we live happy. My father has a 540 but he doesnt get mad when my cuz comes by in his 528. Its just the snobs.
I can understand where you're coming from b/c I can be a bit of a snob myself. For me, I cannot comprehend why people would stretch their dollar to the absolute limit to afford a bottom-of-the-line Benz or BMW when they can buy a better equipped Japanese car for the same price, or less. I don't get offended, I simply cannot see the logic.