It's your fault, all of you...

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2001, 06:52 PM

Wink It's your fault, all of you...

An absurdly long Acura acquisition saga:

Well, I was happy before I discovered this forum, really I was. I'd test-driven a TL in L.A. back around xmas, and although I was impressed, I decided it was missing something. In truth I lusted after a CL-S --in all of its 260hp glory-- but had reluctantly decided that a coupe was just a little too impractical. I even thought that perhaps I should go with the Infiniti I30t (shame on me) as it had the fold-down rear seats that the TL lacked.

So I resolved to keep my trusty white '95 Isuzu Trooper (affectionately known as "The Milktruck") for another year or so --after all, it only had 44K on it and it would be impractical, even foolish, to get rid of it so soon. The next day, while sitting at Sears waiting for new tires to be installed on The Milktruck, I noticed in a tattered auto magazine that "rumor had it that Acura was going to soon be releasing a TL Type-S."

"Uh-oh", I thought, "that sounds like trouble."

During the next few months I persisted in thinking of myself as a future I30 driver, but began browsing auto magazine websites and the Acura site for more info about the TL Type-S. Then I stumbled across this forum. As those first hyperbole-filled descriptions and glorious pix of forum members' new Type-S's began showing up here I started to feel my resolve weakening --those new headlights, the light-colored gauges, the VSA and torque-sensitive steering all began to weave their hypnotic spell. I swung by Los Gatos Acura "just for a look" and sat in a Silver/Ebony Type-S. I breathed in the new leather smell, I settled into the sport seats --even at 6'5" they cradled me in just the right way, with all of the accessories in easy reach. But the dealer wasn't discounting at that time, and I still was trying to be rational. So, despite the salesman's entreaties that he had a WDP with Parchment and Nav (my personal choice) ready to go, I decided to hold off a bit.

On vacation in Washington the following week I dragged my poor fiancee to Acura of Spokane --again, "just to have a look." They were asking $1500 over invoice and didn't have any with Nav so I felt safe there. Upon returning to San Jose, I just happened to stop by Stevens Creek Acura where a very helpful salesperson hinted that because it was raining, and he was "a personal friend of the salesmanager," and I "seemed like a nice guy," he thought he might be able to "do something" about a better price. Again, like a wily trout, I shied away from the hook, but not before caressing a stunning black on black Type-S that was sitting just outside the showroom.

Then, the universe cruelly conspired against me with a couple of completely unplanned events:
  • One of my coworkers expressed interest in buying The Milktruck, for more than any dealer would give me for trade-in.
  • My credit union sent me unsolicited literature touting reduced interest rates and their "Car Store" car locating and buying service that offered "great deals" with no haggling.

I was lost, I knew it. I surrendered to the inevitable and submitted my request to the CU for a WDP with Parchment and Navi. After that, things moved fast. My loan was approved over the phone within minutes, they located a car within a day, and my coworker scrounged around and came up with the money to buy my current vehicle.

So Thursday afternoon I found myself at a local dealer inspecting the fit and finish on my new car. I checked the door pillars for cracks and the sunroof for flushness. I verified that the exhaust pipes were symmetrical and all the myriad other things that members here had expressed concern about (thanks guys!) It was perfect.

I did have an amusing incident at the dealer when I climbed into the back seat and shut the door, only to discover that the preparation guy had activated both of the child safety locks and the doors wouldn't open from the inside. I envisioned the salesperson coming back out of the dealership just as I was awkwardly clambering over the center console and decided that I had to find a more dignified solution. It was then that I remembered that I had a key in my pocket and, with a bit of stretching, got the key in the ignition and was able to lower the rear window and open the door from the outside --laughing to myself throughout the whole thing.

After that, it was a few minutes with the Evil Finance Guy, who tried to sell me everything from warranties to protective coatings to Lojack systems, and then I was outta there.

I love this car. I don't wanna work, I don't wanna sleep, I just wanna drive. Not a rattle, not a squeak --even the Bose (ugh!) audio system isn't quite as horrible as I'd imagined it would be. And those HID lights --they're worth buying the car for just by themselves.

The salesperson asked me not to divulge that I'd gotten the car for less than MSRP (only by about $500) so I'll compromise by not identifying the dealer. I'm not sure whether or not I could have gotten the car under MSRP without using my CU's shopping service.

I've placed my order for Zaino products, and begun exploring aftermarket audio system enhancements. I've emailed pix of the car and waxed rhapsodic about it to all of my troubled friends. Thanks again to all the members of this forum for the info and interesting posts over the last few weeks. This site has been an invaluable source of information.

I am one happy pup.
Old 04-13-2001, 07:05 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MY GAWD!!! I think I have to go ...um...nevermind.

Man! The way you told that story, i think I need to go sit in one myself! Must resist...Got to fight it...AAARRRRGGGGHHH!!!
Old 04-13-2001, 07:06 PM
Racer

Cool

aLL i gotta say is
WOOOO HOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-13-2001, 07:32 PM

Thumbs up

Since taking delivery of my Aegean Blue TL-S three weeks ago I've been pretty quiet on these boards. But after reading your post I feel compelled to reply. All I can say is "RIGHT ON!" To read such an entertaining and well written post was a pleasure. You should submit your resume to Car and Driver et al.

Congratulation on your TL-S! I got the same deal for mine ($500 below MSRP)...not as low as others have reported, but I'm happy just the same. Happy motoring.
Old 04-13-2001, 08:42 PM

Oh you bastard.
Old 04-13-2001, 09:32 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 505 Likes on 231 Posts
Cool

Great, well written tale! Now you will find yourself looking for excuses to get out and drive up the mileage!

Hey, if you emailed your friends pictures, what about us? We like to see pictures!

Congrats, and welcome....

:-jon

------------------
02 TL-S NAV w/Spoiler, Body Kit, Bowling Ball Wheel!
Comptech Springs
Comptech Exhaust
01 TOYOTA MR-2 Yellow
98 MAZDA B4000 4-DR PickUp
Old 04-13-2001, 10:03 PM
Racer

Heretic ... loved your story :-). And yeah .. how about some pictures?
Old 04-13-2001, 10:24 PM
Instructor

Heretic,

Love to see some pictures...I'm thinking of the WDP with Parchment also. Do you miss the ride height and the roominess of the Milktruck? I have an Expedition now (which I love) and sometimes I can't believe I'm thinking about going back to a car. My car before the Expo (and 3 kids) was a '90 Midnight Blue Legend Sedan (one of the few with a 5 speed manual trans). God I loved that car!!! Anyways, the thing that's making me even consider a car again is that my wife is taking the Expo and we'd be getting rid of her minivan. It's almost the best of both worlds since I still would have the truck to drive whenever I need to haul the kids around or tow something. Good luck with it!!! I know you'll love it.
Old 04-13-2001, 11:11 PM

My long version

I started thinking about a new vehicle when I received a notification letter from Nissan Canada that my 1998 Maxima SE lease was coming up in April 2001 and I had some choices to make. This included buying the vehicle based upon agreed buy-back term, replacing the lease with the new 2001 anniversary edition of the Maxima or extending the lease for another year. Up to that point, I was not even considering a new vehicle, let alone the TL-s.

So, I started by going to the Nissan dealer and looking at the new Maxima. My first impression of the cart was a distaste of what they did to the rear lights. My decision not to replace my car with a new Maxima was made right there and then. I considered extending the lease for another year but would not offer the generous rate they gave me 3 years ago. My last alternative was to buy-back the car. But I found out that 3 years ago they were very aggressive in pushing these cars and gave very high residuals that are now higher than the value of the car at auction. So buying it back was out.

Seeing the Infinity dealer right next door, I went in to a look at the I30t. My first impression was what a nice looking car! I asked myself - why could'nt the new Maxima look like this? I proceeded to ask for a test drive and liked it. But I soon learned that my liomited research in comparing a different class of cart such as the Infinity I30t in terms of "entry level luxury sport sedans" was just beginning.

Next day in the office (January 2001), I was discussing the I30t with a colleague and he mentioned that he too was in the market for a new car. He had not seen the I30, but his buddy strongly recommended that Acura 3.2TL. So it was at that point that I realized that I needed to do more research before buying my next car.

I started by buying every recent car magazine I could get my hands on and started comparing the Audi A4, Mercedes C320, Infinity I30t, Lexus ES300 and BMW 330.

I also conducted web searches of these cars and came across this web site.

I then went to the nearest Acura Dealer in Toronto, and examined the 3.2TL. It was OK. The shift box was unique, but the I30 looked more luxurious. Ah.. but I was to learn a lesson that all entry level luxury sports sedans are not created equally. Where one car is mor luxurious, another may have better performance and/or value. This was not going to be easy!

As I sudied the 2001 Acura 3.2 TL and test drove it, I was soem what hesitant. The salesman picked up on this and asked me when I planned to purchase a car. I told him that I would need one around April/01 and hasd some interest in the I30t. He casually mentioned that I should why wait a few months and take a look at the new 2002 TL type s model that would be coming out in March/01. He explained that it would have the engine of the CL-s, and interior luxury of the TL with a sport suspension. The seed was planted.

My next step was to find out everything I could about this new model. I started reading previews in car magazines. They were all very favourable. I then read that it would be debuting at the Toronto car show on February 16, 2001 and I could see the new 2002 first hand.

I went to the Show to take a look at this car and it made a lasting impression. The same day I examined all the other competitors cars.

Next, I needed assurance that I would be satisfied with the cars ride. It is here that this Discussion Forum gave me the feedback I needed to re-enforce my decision in considering purchasing this car and I have been hooked to this web site ever since.

I have followed the experiences of many of you from first hype about the car leading up to the first test drives experiences and finally purchases. All of it positive.

I did my own test drive when it fist became available in Toronto on March 12, 2001 and fell in love with it then and there. What a combination of luxury and performance with a great value!

I proceeded to negotiate a deal with Acura North Toronto and received $500 of the MRSP and some accessories. I put down a deposit of $1,000 and waited for delivery on April 12, 2001.

As I waited a month, all I could do was to sit and read about the pleasures of others that already took delivery. This was hard!

Well... the day finally came and I picked it up yesterday at noon and took it home. I proceeded to wash it and examine every square inch of the car - no flaws!

I spent the next day driving around. Oh.. what a feeling knowing that there is an incredible amout of power that is ready and willing to serve you with a push of a pedal. Cruising on the highway was just exhilerating. I love it!

P.S. I too would like to thank all of you that contributed to this Discussion Forum. It certainly helped me become a better consumer.

ENJOY!

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by Raptor on April 14, 2001 @ ]</font>

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by Raptor on April 14, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 04-14-2001, 03:11 AM

Originally posted by steevr:
Heretic,

Love to see some pictures...I'm thinking of the WDP with Parchment also. Do you miss the ride height and the roominess of the Milktruck? I have an Expedition now (which I love) and sometimes I can't believe I'm thinking about going back to a car. My car before the Expo (and 3 kids) was a '90 Midnight Blue Legend Sedan (one of the few with a 5 speed manual trans). God I loved that car!!! Anyways, the thing that's making me even consider a car again is that my wife is taking the Expo and we'd be getting rid of her minivan. It's almost the best of both worlds since I still would have the truck to drive whenever I need to haul the kids around or tow something. Good luck with it!!! I know you'll love it.
Thanks for the kind words guys, and yes, as soon as I can figure out the whole image hosting thing I'll post a couple of pics.

After getting off the phone with my girlfriend tonight I went out, hopped in the car, and drove north for an hour up highway 280 just for the sheer joy of it. Here I am, 42 years old, and this is the first time I've ever had a vehicle affect me this way.

In reply to steevr: Yes, the "plunge" into a sedan after 10 years of SUV's was a big step for me as well. I'd grown very accustomed to not just the headroom, but the entire "wide open spaces" feeling in an SUV cabin. While the Type-S interior certainly isn't as voluminous as my beloved Milktruck, it does have a reasonably open feeling --and the pleasures of the driving experience more than make up for the slight space restrictions. Furthermore, I think I'm rapidly becoming attached to the cockpit-like ambience of the TL --particularly at night, it's glorious.
Old 04-14-2001, 02:28 PM
Instructor

Raptor: What colour and which dealership?

------------------
02 TLS Silver/Ebony
Old 04-14-2001, 08:02 PM

Originally posted by OldGuy:
Raptor: What colour and which dealership?

Acura North Toronto.

Silver/ebony.

What a dream!
Old 04-15-2001, 12:23 PM

Heretic,

It's been said before, but I have to add my 2c--great story! You have captured the whimsey, suspense, motor-madness and sense of fun I love best about this board. I'm willing to bet all of us who have had our own roller-coaster ride deciding on our own TL-S have seen ourselves in your "article".
Mine's due in two weeks and if anyone asks me the story, I think I'll just point to yours and suggest they change the location to Minnesota.
Old 04-17-2001, 03:44 PM
MCD
Instructor

Excellent stories from both Raptor and Heretic!

Moderators, maybe we should archive these stories on a new board (maybe "Acura TL/TL-S Stories")

I'm sure many guests happen across this site and some impatient ones may browse through a few posts and be discouraged by some of the complaints. We need to have more favorable posts like these archived for all to see how much we truly love these cars!