IS300~ you're kidding right!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2001, 04:23 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IS300~ you're kidding right!!!

Coming home from a Christmas dinner, i was minding my own business cruisin home. its about 12.30am, just watched Lord of the Rings with my younger cousins. Good movie. anyways, im driving along..no traffic on the freeway... this IS300 starts tailing me. in no mood to race i just changed lanes and tried to let the guy go by.. but of course this little Sh*t wanted to test me. after about 2 mins of egging me on, i said to myself.. wtf its christmas, time for a little present for myself. so the race was on. if anyone was on the 60 west in Diamond Bar, CA, you would of seen it. so we start our race at about 85. guy is pushing his car pretty hard. im still just flooring it in 5th (why 5th? just to see if i can keep up, which i did pretty easily.) then we got up to about 100mph guy was still sticking around.. so i decided to blow the kid off, lowered into 4th, and showed him my nice shiny type-S emblem. then when i reached about 125, he couldn't keep up. everytime he floored his car, i just increased it more. after about 130, he gave up. then after i thought i lost him, i pull off on my exit and there he was. Kid lowers his window and said... Sh*t that car is fast. i didn't think it was that fast. good race.
well, thought i would share that with you guys. oh i did see a silver type-S when i was racing this kid. i was hoping he would join. but he didn't
Old 12-26-2001, 04:30 AM
Three Wheelin'

god damn of all the nights i go out i wish i was out tonight...i am always on the 60 west in my friends prelude around that time looking for races.........NICE KILL.....
Old 12-26-2001, 07:32 AM
Pro

Nice kill... You should of lose him way sooner. Try 3rd gear next time... hehe... Was his car a mannual?
Old 12-26-2001, 08:02 AM
Banned

Should have blown away that Trecel (i mean IS) from the starting line!!!
Old 12-26-2001, 08:33 AM
Drifting

he either didn't know how to drive fast or didn't want to push his car really hard because even in automatic, he should've been able to easily hang with you- don't understimate that car's abilities
Old 12-26-2001, 11:05 AM

Red face

In 5th or 4th gear you whipped the IS, yeah okay.....
Old 12-26-2001, 11:09 AM
Racer

Next time, switch to SS, lift off the right paddle, downshift to 3rd and Stomp it, Shift to 4th around 6800 rpm and he is bye bye....
Old 12-26-2001, 11:31 AM
Pro

Oh man,

I was around that area but it wasnt at 12:00am. Too bad though cuz I would have surely joined the fun!
Old 12-26-2001, 12:03 PM
Burning Brakes

IS300 is NOT FAST AT ALL...I test drove it...I FEEL NO POWER from that thing..

test drive it and compare our Type S..u will feel a difference

G
Old 12-26-2001, 12:13 PM
Instructor

The TLP/S can take the IS/GS300 from a stop, but dont underestimate them from highway speeds, especially when the TLP/S is in 4th gear.
Old 12-26-2001, 03:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

I got a chance to test this 4th gear theory this weekend, in fact. I was on the Turnpike and a silver IS300 with two guys in it came from behind me started to make the pass. As he drew closer, I gave it a wee bit more gas. As he pulled in front of me I saw him nail it and I followed suit. Unfortunately, we were going about 90 at the time and I did not use SS so the car only downshifted to 4th. He was not pulling away but I wasn't catching him-- we were pretty well locked. I shut it down around 115 when my better judgement took control.

I tried to catch up to him for another race, but he got in a much quicker line at the toll booth. By the time I got out he was long gone.

Needless to say that if I had used SS to downshift to third I would have caught him fairly easily (this is always the case when I race my friend's IS300). However, our 4th gear is ludicrously tall and proved deadly (to me) in this case.
Old 12-26-2001, 05:13 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by matt7184
The TLP/S can take the IS/GS300 from a stop, but dont underestimate them from highway speeds, especially when the TLP/S is in 4th gear.
yeah, that's 'cuz of the torque it has....oh wait, it still has less.

must be because of the hp...oh wait, it still has less.

odn't underestimate them only if you plan on staying at partial throttle in 4th or 5th gear, but then that's not really racing.

a hyundai accent could take a tl-s in 4th gear if he wanted too, but if the tl-s was really playing, why would he stay in 4th?
Old 12-26-2001, 07:13 PM
Comptech Freak

no surprise...the inline-6s from IS/GS are too HEAVY

also their 0-60mph around 7.2-7.6...so it's easy to kill them...

i agree with matt7184, don't underestimate their hwy capability, IS 300 has a higher and closer gear ratio set than any automatics i have seen, watchout guys
Old 12-26-2001, 08:16 PM
Cruisin'

what's the top speed for the tl-s? the top speed for the is3 is 143.7, just wondering who would've maxed out first
Old 12-26-2001, 09:35 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by dean078

yeah, that's 'cuz of the torque it has....oh wait, it still has less.

must be because of the hp...oh wait, it still has less.

odn't underestimate them only if you plan on staying at partial throttle in 4th or 5th gear, but then that's not really racing.

a hyundai accent could take a tl-s in 4th gear if he wanted too, but if the tl-s was really playing, why would he stay in 4th?
Oh, a HP/TQ guy who compares numbers wow

BTW smart guy: There are other factors involved with cars besides HP and TQ........... (maybe if you read all the posts in the thread you would learn more about your own car)
Old 12-26-2001, 09:47 PM
Comptech Freak

isn't the top spd for TL-S is at 149?
i heard they limited the spd at 149 coz it's just V-rated tires, which max spd limit is at 149

anyone knows the actual max spd?
Old 12-26-2001, 10:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
At those speeds the IS is in its overdrive gear as well. So I dont really having any advantage at those speeds with its stats.
Old 12-26-2001, 11:03 PM
Banned

Originally posted by samkws
isn't the top spd for TL-S is at 149?
i heard they limited the spd at 149 coz it's just V-rated tires, which max spd limit is at 149
Correct. They are speed limited to 149 for this reason. However, due to the inaccuracies of the speedo at that velocity, it may read plus or minus a few mph of that number.
Old 12-26-2001, 11:51 PM
I love my G sedan

A funny story.

What are you guys comparing? driving skills or the cars? I don't really see the point of comparing driving skills if both cars have automatic transimission, since it's always going straight or there is only a little turn on freeway, especailly when there are not many cars on the freeway so that you have nothing to dodge from. From the time you were racing, I think there weren't too many cars.

If there were many other cars, then you are one extremely irresponsible driver, since you guys went up to 130mph???? This is a ridiculous speed. What you think you were driving? A tank?

Something you think funny or exciting can cause a very serious consequence. It not only threatens your own life, also others.
Old 12-27-2001, 12:09 AM
Racer

Originally posted by SilverCL225hp
A funny story.

Something you think funny or exciting can cause a very serious consequence. It not only threatens your own life, also others.

Wow. what a party pooper. It was 12.30am christmas night. no one was on the freeway. relax there buddy. you sure that CL isn't too much power for you? i have a friend..his dad is selling a 94 le sabre. I think that car may be a little more suited for your mentality.
Old 12-27-2001, 12:11 AM
Racer

our 4th gear sucks on the freeway!!

after 100mph we have no more juice!!
Old 12-27-2001, 02:25 AM
MB-Fanatic w/TL-S

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Japanese cars are pretty weak in mid-high range acceleration, unless we are talking about V8 powered(GS400/430, LS400/430, SC400/430), or I6/V6 TT(Supra TT, VR4/Stealth TT)....

But at triple digit(in MPH of course), IS300 does not pulling hard.... nor does TLS.... if you want to play some mid-high range acceleration, try Euros... hehe.. my 5000LB+ 400SE can do 50-70mph Top-Gear acceleration faster than TLS.... :P

Neverthless, nice kill...

Andy Kuo
Old 12-27-2001, 05:13 AM
Racer

I have done the same thing. IS300 was an easy kill from highway speed, he had two people, and I had two, plus a trunk full of stuff as I was on vacation Its not hard to believe sicklex.

When I let them catch back up. the is300's passanger gave me a thumb up, the driver would not even look over
Old 12-27-2001, 07:59 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Mr Hyde
At those speeds the IS is in its overdrive gear as well. So I dont really having any advantage at those speeds with its stats.
The IS actually has a couple of pretty significant advantages at higher speeds.

At some point, both the IS and the TL will be in an overdrive gear. Without having the actual gear ratios in front of me, I can tell you that the IS is geared significantly shorter than the TL -- a quick ride in the IS will confirm that. In fact, despite having a shorter final driven gear, the 4th gear in the TL is a drop taller than the IS's 5th gear (guess how we got that 29mpg highway rating...). In the end, all else being equal, shorter gearing means more torque multiplication which means more acceleration.

Also, the IS's coefficient of drag is 0.29 if I remember correctly. Although I don't have a cD figure for the TL, I can assure you it's higher than that. Wind resistance is public enemy #1 for top speed runs -- the less of it the car has to deal with the better. It takes less power to overcome the constant resistance the wind is offering which leaves more for accleration. This benefit becomes more significant as speed increases.
Old 12-27-2001, 09:19 AM
O.G.

Originally posted by paultl
our 4th gear sucks on the freeway!!

after 100mph we have no more juice!!
Not true. I got up to ~122 mph in 3rd gear (SS) in my 99 TL.
Old 12-27-2001, 09:35 AM
Three Wheelin'

He was referring to the 4th gear in the 2000+, smartass :p
Old 12-27-2001, 11:08 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by RAdams
He was referring to the 4th gear in the 2000+, smartass :p
About your high speed run with the IS. You say you were both pretty equal right? This is with your TLS w/ comptech headers and CAI. If the Comptech headers did what Comptech says they can do (did you feel a big difference in yours BTW?) and you also had a CAI, do you think it is fair to say that the IS may have been able to beat you without those mods (if you were in 4th gear)?
Old 12-27-2001, 12:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

About your high speed run with the IS. You say you were both pretty equal right? This is with your TLS w/ comptech headers and CAI. If the Comptech headers did what Comptech says they can do (did you feel a big difference in yours BTW?) and you also had a CAI, do you think it is fair to say that the IS may have been able to beat you without those mods (if you were in 4th gear)?
I was wondering the same thing. However, the truth is that the Comptech headers don't add any noticable power until almost 6000 RPM. I was nowhere near 6000RPM in 4th at the speeds I mentioned... it's simply too damned tall. (and yes they do add considerable power, but again, it's way high in the RPM band)

As far as the CAI, I honestly don't feel a real power increase. I think a lot of it is perceived due to the increased sound.

In my opinion, it's doubtful my mods helped me very much at all in the encounter that I had. If anything, the intake did a little something but I was nowhere near the point at which the headers help. I'd imagine that the same race under the same conditions using two stock cars would come out about the same as they did for me. Maybe the IS would have edged a stock TL-S assuming it didn't downshift to 3rd... I don't really know. I'm very realistic about the capabilities of my car and I was actually surprised he didn't pull me a bit considering I was at such a low speed in 4th gear. Short gearing often works wonders.

As luck would have it, my friend Julian has a 2000 TL with an AEM CAI and my buddy Damion's wife's IS300 will soon have an Injen CAI. At that time I'm sure they'd be game to do some testing. As it stands, my buddy's 2000 TL is quicker in most cases than the IS until about 100MPH. My car is quite a bit quicker than either of theirs, but I haven't tried to duplicate the event in question with my buddy's wife's IS either... so I don't know.

With it all said and done, I knew that I could have downshifted to third and caught the guy, but staying in 4th proved interesting to say the least.

(On a side note, whereabouts in Miramar are you? I live right up the road in Hollywood and, assuming the car in your sig is yours, I've never seen it on the road)
Old 12-27-2001, 12:54 PM
Instructor

Im right next to NBC6 at I-75 and Miramar Pkwy. I was at the last TL meet at Miami subs in the black SC400.

Nope, that car aint mine and I wish it and the women were :p
Old 12-27-2001, 10:26 PM

RAdams where have u been?

Great INTELLIGENT posts. Makes a lot of sense. Thank you. I would say after 100 the IS starts to SLOWLY catch up. So GET THAT JUMP EARLY!

After driving both cars, TL feels much faster off the line, the IS is smooth all the way to you let off the gas but significantly slower to me.
Old 12-28-2001, 12:40 AM
Three Wheelin'

i have raced an is300 at around 120mph as well and that car is not fast at all. at 4th we could have a good fight with them but if we are able to shift down to 3rd they are gone.

i tried both when i raced that car. first i tried 4th and hung out with him for a while. but then i slowed back to 80, changed to 3rd, floored it..... he was like 10 car lengths behind me
Old 12-28-2001, 07:28 AM

Spanked a Type-S last night..

Well big brother has the IS 300's back. Spanked a Type-S last night. Knucklehead rides my bumper in the fast lane (btw those NON auto leveling HIDs get annoying) and I ALWAYS get over when someone is driving faster than me but I could not cause of a Expedition in the lane over. I was finally able to move over and the dude looks at me ( mid 40s) and drives by in his black tl -s.

Well needless to say I caught up with him and punched my car and slowed down and played with his emotions for a couple of miles before I moved on......

KNUCKLEHEAD!
Old 12-28-2001, 08:36 AM
Dr. TLS

Re: Spanked a Type-S last night..

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Well big brother has the IS 300's back. Spanked a Type-S last night. Knucklehead rides my bumper in the fast lane (btw those NON auto leveling HIDs get annoying) and I ALWAYS get over when someone is driving faster than me but I could not cause of a Expedition in the lane over. I was finally able to move over and the dude looks at me ( mid 40s) and drives by in his black tl -s.

Well needless to say I caught up with him and punched my car and slowed down and played with his emotions for a couple of miles before I moved on......

KNUCKLEHEAD!
My my. What a great coincidence that your brother got his IS300 back and you also found a TL-S to race all in the same day. And don't worry about the auto leveling lights bothering you. That was probably just a rare and unlucky case where the TL-S guy was not even trying (he was in his 40's? lol. probably a lawyer or doctor) and you happened to be infront of him. Most of the time you will be seeing the taillights so don't forget to attach a comment scrutinizing them. Someone I know has an IS300 and I have never lost to him of the 5 times we raced, two times to 110MPH. But ofcourse, this and also your comment has nothing to do with this thread because I doubt the guy you raced in his 40's was testing his 4th gear. Lol. Peace.
Old 12-28-2001, 12:54 PM

Uhhh, big brother was me as in GS 400 as in little brother is IS 300.

In Atlanta, tl/tl's are everywhere so you got a good chance of racing them here. And the dude WAS trying (seeing his car hesitate, then accelerate, yeah he was trying).

If you read my posts your car is DEFINTELY quicker to triple digit speeds but the IS will SLOWLY catch up. If your both at triple digit speeds and both cars punch it, its up in the air (if the road is straight).
Old 12-28-2001, 02:24 PM
Racer

Whatever 1SICKLEX, spanked him huh?

The is300 is a nice car, just too slow, and too small IMO.

Never been spanked by a stock one or otherwise, from a stop or at highway speed, and my car has no mods yet.
Old 12-28-2001, 03:07 PM
Instructor

I think people are getting confused about the IS vs TL to triple digits (0-1xx) and racing from a roll at speed. If the TL raced the IS to the triple digits it should win, due to better aceleration (in the first 3 forward gears). From a roll however, the IS is better matched to the TL and TLS due to its (IS3) shorter gearing.
Old 12-28-2001, 03:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

I think people are getting confused about the IS vs TL to triple digits (0-1xx) and racing from a roll at speed. If the TL raced the IS to the triple digits it should win, due to better aceleration (in the first 3 forward gears). From a roll however, the IS is better matched to the TL and TLS due to its (IS3) shorter gearing.
Exactly.

I can tell you from experience that even though the IS may be accelerating harder once the TL has to grab 4th gear (this even may or may not be true assuming the TL has the chance to totally wind out 3rd) that it will be so far behind that it will "never" catch up.

I know this is fact for my TL-S. Maybe we'll try it with my buddy's 2000 TL-P this weekend should conditions prove conducive.
Old 12-28-2001, 07:36 PM
Dr. TLS

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Uhhh, big brother was me as in GS 400 as in little brother is IS 300.

In Atlanta, tl/tl's are everywhere so you got a good chance of racing them here. And the dude WAS trying (seeing his car hesitate, then accelerate, yeah he was trying).

If you read my posts your car is DEFINTELY quicker to triple digit speeds but the IS will SLOWLY catch up. If your both at triple digit speeds and both cars punch it, its up in the air (if the road is straight).
Oh ok. I see your point, 1sicklex. I thought you were saying the IS300 was simply faster at higher speeds. What you and the others have added makes sense though.
Old 12-29-2001, 04:59 PM
Advanced

i am very interested to see how a Manual IS300 will do against TL-s.

back to the topic, IS300 can do fairly well against the TL-s on high end power, I have seen it in my friend's TL-s. Don't underestimate it. Try one with LSD upgrade in turns, you would be surprised = ).

There is little competition between TL-s and IS(auto) from dead stop, seen it myself, and seen TL-s' taillight.

good race.