iPhone & 99 TL - direct audio connection!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 03:18 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
iPhone & 99 TL - direct audio connection!

First thanks to all the folks that have posted about the process for installing to the factory radio.

I've been looking into getting audio with the iPhone. After a failed attempt via the Sony Cassette and Griffin Ipod Adaptors, I decided to go with iCarkits.com as they replied to email request that this would work with the iPhone.

After getting the product I took a couple of flat head screwdrivers and a phillips. Looking at the instructions for the hardware, I soon found out I needed to confirm the harness and the settings on the box of the main unit. Using the iPhone I got the settings on this unit and for most Acuras it appears to be 1, 4, and 8 are flipped down on the dipswitches into the on position.

Took off the trim and then tried to work off the passenger side kick panel. Got the main snap to pop open in the middle but really couldn't tell how to get the panel off as the fit is very tight with both ends fitted quite tight. Eventually with some force managed to pop it off.

Now we had a nice view to the radio and interior to the right side. Using two fingers, you can feel where the harness connects about two inches in from the passenger side. Since the connector is dangling a bit by some wire, not an easy task to get it alligned toward the rear connection. What made it much easier was to just get the connector lined up directly in back of the factory radio and then just use a small screwdriver to push it in all the way. Done!

Tested it and it worked immediately. The iPhone gives a message saying the device is not iPhone compatible and do you want to go into airplane mode. Said no and then everything worked just fine.

Using random shuffle on the iPhone and controlling from the steering wheel made for a nice pleasant Saturday afternoon drive. The sound from the factory system is pretty darn good too.

Cost for the iCarKits.com unit: $135.
Old 09-01-2007, 04:31 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice! thanks for the info