(Intermittent) No Acceleration On Start

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 09:33 AM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
(Intermittent) No Acceleration On Start

For a while now I've noticed that once in a while, with seemingly no pattern or common "environments", when I start my TL and put it in drive, it does absolutely nothing. It acts like it's going to start moving, and a split second later I get nothing. It's only ever lasted about a full second or two. After that, it's perfectly fine and I don't have any issues with it whatsoever. Until a random time that I turn the car off and start it again.

Even letting my foot off the pedal, it doesn't even move as when you're in gear and idling without brakes. It does absolutely nothing. The RPM's seem to remain at normal idle. It hasn't lost any power when this happens.

Could it be related to the fuel system, perhaps? Maybe the fuel filter needs to be replaced? But then again, why is it only once in a while, and only after starting the car, and no issues once it's up and running?

Weird!

On another note, I'll be checking my spark plugs probably today. And I'll be changing oil next weekend -- a little overdue on it, but not much.

-----------------------
EDIT:

Also, pressing the accelerator yields ZERO response when this occurs, for a couple of seconds. Once it kicks back up, everything is normal. But when this happens, I can press the accelerator, whether lightly or heavily, and it doesn't respond. No rise in RPM's or anything. Once it picks back up, I have to be careful not to have my foot down on it or it'll take off. Haha.

Last edited by binary_10essee; 09-20-2014 at 09:36 AM.
Old 09-20-2014, 10:02 AM
Mr.Helpful Diagram

Received 254 Likes on 220 Posts
Take off the intake tube to expose the throttle body then verify that the plate is moving.
If you never cleaned it now its the perfect time.
Check Engine Light ?
Old 09-20-2014, 10:10 AM
Instructor

No CEL at all. The light has only ever been on once in the 6 months that I've had the car, and I can't remember exactly what it was, but it was simple and I took care of it the same day it came on. I'll look at the plate in a little bit.
Old 09-20-2014, 11:28 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my 00 tl is doing the same thing. I've replaced the fuel pump, main relay, ignition switch, tps, and plugs. I've also cleaned the intake, idle air control, and egr and it's still doing it and it's driving me crazy not being able to figure it out.
Old 09-20-2014, 02:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
If the car's motor starts and idles normally, then it doesn't want to move when placed in gear......
my guess is that it's something with the shift linkage control solenoid sticking.
Old 09-20-2014, 04:51 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 3.2TLc
If the car's motor starts and idles normally, then it doesn't want to move when placed in gear......
my guess is that it's something with the shift linkage control solenoid sticking.
Would that prevent it from revving when pressing the accelerator as well? I figured pressing the pedal would get some sort of response if it was transmission-related, but I'm no expert.
Old 09-20-2014, 07:31 PM
Suzuka Master

While I'm by no means any sort of expert either, it would only make sense to investigate the problem a bit further, IMO. Once the motor is started and running.....then ya gotta try to move to the next logical step in the process of getting the car to actually move.

Motor running ok > tranny not engaging.
Old 09-20-2014, 09:24 PM
Instructor

While I'm by no means any sort of expert either, it would only make sense to investigate the problem a bit further, IMO. Once the motor is started and running.....then ya gotta try to move to the next logical step in the process of getting the car to actually move.

Motor running ok > tranny not engaging.
I understand your point. I suppose "expert" wasn't the correct term. What I meant by that was I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to engines and the different mechanical components of a vehicle. Motor OK -> Tranny not engaging, that's logical, and pretty simple to know to move in that direction. I just wasn't sure if anyone else had encountered this issue. I can't seem to find anything even remotely similar when searching the Web.
Old 09-20-2014, 11:38 PM

Received 1,016 Likes on 867 Posts
If the engine isnt reevving then it isn't nothing to do with the trans as our throttle is Drive by Cable.. If you Floor it while in Park or Neutral the engine should climb up to the 5K Limiter.. If it isn't then your butterfly is stuck or the linkage is broken.

I would check first of all my Throttle Body.
Old 09-21-2014, 08:35 AM
Suzuka Master

Not revving up when pushing down on accelerator pedal ?

Originally Posted by binary_10essee

-----------------------
EDIT:

Also, pressing the accelerator yields ZERO response when this occurs, for a couple of seconds.
Once it kicks back up, everything is normal. But when this happens, I can press the accelerator, whether lightly or heavily, and it doesn't respond. No rise in RPM's or anything.

Once it picks back up, I have to be careful not to have my foot down on it or it'll take off. Haha.

Yeah, first check everything as Skirmich previously suggested.
Old 09-21-2014, 09:30 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Skirmich
If the engine isnt reevving then it isn't nothing to do with the trans as our throttle is Drive by Cable.. If you Floor it while in Park or Neutral the engine should climb up to the 5K Limiter.. If it isn't then your butterfly is stuck or the linkage is broken.

I would check first of all my Throttle Body.
Is the 5K limiter something that I can test no matter what? Because the problem is random, not every time, so there's no telling when it'll happen. I'll look at the throttle body and all that probably this afternoon. Just wondering if climbing to the 5K limiter in park/neutral will tell me something is wrong, even if the car will move as soon as I shift to drive as it should.
Old 09-21-2014, 10:18 AM
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Yea you should be able to just depress the pedal all the way and it 'should' rev all the way to the 5k limiter. If you are able to do this, take off the intake manifold and montor the butterfly valve visually.

As in: Take plastic throttle off, move the throttle linkage directly with your hand (not inside the car) and see if butterfly valve moves. you can also go in the car and mash the gas and it should do the same.

If not its likely an issue with the cable linkage.

If you are able to post a picture of the cable on the throttle body, so we can take a better look.

If you need help identifying post, and I will take the pictures today (not too busy) lol
Old 09-21-2014, 10:20 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gabru678
Yea you should be able to just depress the pedal all the way and it 'should' rev all the way to the 5k limiter. If you are able to do this, take off the intake manifold and montor the butterfly valve visually.

As in: Take plastic throttle off, move the throttle linkage directly with your hand (not inside the car) and see if butterfly valve moves. you can also go in the car and mash the gas and it should do the same.

If not its likely an issue with the cable linkage.

If you are able to post a picture of the cable on the throttle body, so we can take a better look.

If you need help identifying post, and I will take the pictures today (not too busy) lol
If you can take a few pics that'd be helpful and greatly appreciated! I was familiar with the throttle body on the '04 Impala I used to have, but the TL is quite different, of course.
Old 09-21-2014, 10:30 AM
Mr.Helpful Diagram

Received 254 Likes on 220 Posts
They are similar just take off the plastic engine cover first, 4 10mm bolts holding it down then you will see the intake tube is held by a screw clamp philips head screw driver and also the air filter box has 4 but be careful these love to stay stuck, some wd-40 or pb blaster should help if they don't come off easy.

Have you ever changed the Air Filter ? if its dirty change it.
Old 09-21-2014, 10:44 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ErickUa5
They are similar just take off the plastic engine cover first, 4 10mm bolts holding it down then you will see the intake tube is held by a screw clamp philips head screw driver and also the air filter box has 4 but be careful these love to stay stuck, some wd-40 or pb blaster should help if they don't come off easy.

Have you ever changed the Air Filter ? if its dirty change it.
Yeah, I changed the filter a little over a month ago. And it does in fact hit the 5K limiter in park. Tested it about 20min ago.
Old 09-21-2014, 11:53 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Do as others mentioned. Take off the plastic engine cover, take off the tube going from the TB to the air filter box. Inspect the cam that the throttle cable rides on on the throttle body. Make sure its not broke, or that the cable is on it. Have someone depress the throttle (engine off) and watch to make sure that the cable is opening the throttle body and that it is opening all the way.
Old 09-21-2014, 12:15 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Do as others mentioned. Take off the plastic engine cover, take off the tube going from the TB to the air filter box. Inspect the cam that the throttle cable rides on on the throttle body. Make sure its not broke, or that the cable is on it. Have someone depress the throttle (engine off) and watch to make sure that the cable is opening the throttle body and that it is opening all the way.
I will. And just to verify, this will show some sign of a problem (if that's where the problem is) even though the symptoms it's having aren't happening all the time, right?
Old 09-21-2014, 05:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Check this thread out :
Broken throttle body connection? - AcuraZine Community
Old 09-27-2014, 05:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Congrats on the new addition to the family !!!
It's sometimes a bit of a juggling act at times, but ya now have all new and different priorities.

However, a dependable vehicle ranks a close 2nd......we are here to assist ya when needed.
Old 09-27-2014, 08:50 PM
Instructor

Congrats on the new addition to the family !!!
It's sometimes a bit of a juggling act at times, but ya now have all new and different priorities.

However, a dependable vehicle ranks a close 2nd......we are here to assist ya when needed.
You're very right! It's our only vehicle at the moment, so it's definitely necessary to keep it up. I'll be around here off and on. I'm hoping to be able to contribute some good advice on some threads soon. I've learned a lot in my 6 months owning the TL. Haha. Thanks!