Intermittant idle & A/C problem !#%@! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2002, 11:53 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intermittant idle & A/C problem !#%@! Help!

Ok, so it gets hot this week again in the Bay Area and I just got back from a trip overseas so my car has not been driven for a couple of weeks. I get in my car and start it, and the car sounds like its hesitating...kind of like the auto choke isn't working. I quickly turn off the A/C and it still does it. I rev the car up to warm it up more than usual, and then drive off.

As I am driving, I notice that the A/C is not cold. Upon further observation, I realize that the A/C compressor seems to be shutting OFF everytime I accelerate, and kicks back in when I let off or coast, or am stopped. The good news that its cool in the car in the hot weather when I am stuck in traffic, but my driving must really bother others as I speed up and coast to get my car cool. Anyone have any ideas on what the heck this is?

My theory is that a sensor that usually helps pick up VTEC to shut off the A/C Compressor is on the fritz and activating anytime I accellerate. Anyone else have this problem before? If so, please let me know what you found. Thanks in advance!
Old 10-09-2002, 11:06 AM
Racer

are the belts okay (tensioners)? did you check out the engine bay to make sure some little critter didn't build a home in there

how long were you gone for? you may want to consider an oil change and fill the tank with quality gas asap. either of them could have broken down some

the sensor shouldn't just die like that, but I guess it's possible
Old 10-09-2002, 03:06 PM
Pro

My first thought was that a belt was slipping and that the compressor was not getting the drive form the car when I accelerate, but I checked the belt that day and it seems tight...maybe one of the pulleys is lose? Gonna check again in more detail today, and if I still cant find the prob...then I guess to the dealer the car will go. <sigh>
Old 10-14-2002, 01:02 PM
Pro

Ok, here is my update for anyone that may come across this problem.

I took the car to the dealer on Thursday morning last week and they said it needed two sensors replaced. One was a temp sensor that triggered the AC compressor, and another was a thermostat control sensor. I went to pick up the car that night, but the same symptoms were present, rough start, uneven idle, and TCS & Engine Check light were on. So, on Friday, they re-examined and felt that a thermostat might be the culprit and replaced it at no charge...still no dice.

Finally, the tech contacted Acura's factory tech and they recommended replacing an entire heating control unit? Unfortunatley, the unit is shipping from Torrance so it wont get here until Monday morning so I am without the TL until <omday evening. They offered me a loaner TL, but since I am using my garage to store construction materials anyways, I figured I could do without having another car around. Good thing I have a car to use though.

My only concern now is...since I did not sign any additional paperwork nor approve any more work to be done (nor was I given and estimate) after I paid for the initial work on Thursday, I wonder if they are doing all this for free?
Old 10-16-2002, 10:43 AM
Pro

Ok, Tuesday morning update, the car has been at the dealer for 5 work days. They decided yesterday to replace the ECU. It arrives today so hopefully it will be back home tonight.

The good news is I get a new thermostat, heatig control unit AND the new ECU for FREE because they did not fix it right the first time. The dealer service department I use has always been pretty cool and despite being without the car for so many days, I'm just glad that I will (hopefully) have it backl home in running order tonight.
Old 10-16-2002, 01:13 PM
/etc/car

During heavy acceleration in the summer months, the AC in my car got completely warm. But once I let off the gas, it was nice and cold again. I think it only happens during WOT...you can drive REAL fast, but it's only certain occasions that the pedal goes to the floor. Either the engine is diverting all its resources to HP, or the ECU is intelligent enough to shut down the compressor during hard acceleration with VTEC.
Old 10-16-2002, 02:42 PM
Pro

Originally posted by SwampGas
During heavy acceleration in the summer months, the AC in my car got completely warm. But once I let off the gas, it was nice and cold again. I think it only happens during WOT...you can drive REAL fast, but it's only certain occasions that the pedal goes to the floor. Either the engine is diverting all its resources to HP, or the ECU is intelligent enough to shut down the compressor during hard acceleration with VTEC.
I was told that my TL and my S2000 have sensors that pick up VTEC engagement and shut the compressor off. I believe that this was one of the sensors they replaced first. What I was experiencing felt more like a loose fan belt...when I accelerated at all, the compressor would kick off

So far no call yet...still waiting...
Old 10-18-2002, 09:27 AM
Pro

<sigh> The Saga continues...

Dealership called Thursday afternoon...they got the new ECU, installed it and found the issue STILL persists! They did an inspection of the wiring and found a crimped sensor wire and were going to fix it Thursday afternoon but wanted to check it again Friday morning to make sure it will do a cold start (one of the initial symptoms)

Luckily I did not really need the car this week, but still...I guess no point being and ass though, they were trying to find the cause...I am just glad they are doing this oin THEIR dime. Its almost too amusing at this point. Hopefully I;ll postlater today that the car is back...stay tuned.
Old 10-18-2002, 09:09 PM
4th Gear

TCS & Check Engine

It's amazaing how even the dealer can't figure out how to service these diagnostic codes. I took my '96 3.2TL in because the Check Engine & TCS lights were on (1316 & 1318, low spark voltage detection module). The service manager told me it would cost $2600 to replace the ABS unit. I argued it had nothing to do with ABS because my year and model didn't incorporate ABS into the TCS equation, but he said he was positive that was the problem. I took it to another dealer, where they told me it's the spark detection module, at a cost of $300someting. Car's still at the dealer, can't wait to see if that takes care of it. I feel like disabling the Check Engine and TCS lights and sellinig the damn thing.
Old 10-20-2002, 01:40 AM
Pro

FINALLY! I got my car back this morning (it was ready Friday afternoon but I did not have time to pick it up) the car had been washed and cleaned inside and out, spray waxed, and parked inside overnight waiting for me to pick up. They ended up replacing the AC Control Head, Thermostat, the two initial sensors, and when they finally swapped ECU, theu discovered a bent plug at the ecu giving a low current reading. They fixed the plug, re-installed my ECU and everything now seems to run great! Now I just need to find my radio code...

The dealership was very good about keeping me informed of any progress, calling me almost daily with updates (both good and bad). I highly recommend Sunnyvale Acura for their service attititude through this whole experience. They offered me a loaner for the entire period, which I did not need, adn then even offered to send the8ir shuttle to my house to come in and get the car. I rate that A+ in my book.