Interior/Exterior color combinations, wood trim

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2001, 12:59 PM

Interior/Exterior color combinations, wood trim

I'm considering my color options as I prepare to shop for an '02 TL Type S. This may be a stupid question, but are the wood trim kits really 'wood'? I'd also be interested in hearing your thoughts/seeing photos on interior/exterior combinations (w/'wood' trim). I'm not married to any particular exterior color yet, although I've eliminated white as an option.
Old 08-14-2001, 01:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 154 Likes on 86 Posts
The Acura "wood" trim is simulated, not real. This has been the topic of considerable consternation on this forum!

Personally, I like the ebony leather interior with the black "wood" trim (affectionately referred to as the "bowling ball" interior around here). I have never been a big fan of tan leather, and I think it looks especially weird with the perforated leather on the Type-S. In fact, when I shop for cars, I only consider exterior colors that allow me to have the black (or gray, on Lexus or BMW) interior.
Old 08-14-2001, 02:12 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My personal first choice was Silver exterior black interior , and black wood... second was all three black!!!! I went with the silver and have one complaint.... I am at the beach all the time and the sand in my car has to be cleaned weekly!!!! I 've heard sweat stains are an issue too, but my car is always cool @ 60 degrees:p
Old 08-14-2001, 10:25 PM
MB-Fanatic w/TL-S

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aegean Blue/Ebony is 1st choice!!! No quesiton asked... however, White Diamond/Ebony and Satin Silver/Ebony tie for 2nd in my book!!! As you can see, I am one of the guys who prefer Black for 2 reasons...

1. Black is easier to take care of.... it ages well(but that's with proper care... leather seat needs much more care than cloth seats... but it's well worth it), and hardly shows any marks....

2. Black Color Leather uses the LEAST amount of paint/color chemical to dye...

Andy Kuo
Old 08-14-2001, 10:47 PM
Racer

When I initially started looking, I had my heart set on White Diamond / Parchment. I thought it looked luxurious, and it's a really nice looking white.

I had kind of an aversion to the "blackwood", as I was kind of a purist when it came to wood grain, fake or not. The picture of the blackwood in the TL brochure didn't really appeal to me.

But the more I looked at the two in person, the ebony interior with the blackwood really began to grow on me - the brochure doesn't do the look justice. When you open the door and look inside, it almost looks like one solid color. With the parchment (although I still like it!), you see two different shades of tan on the dash and the doors, as well as another shade with the wood.

So, I became sold on the Silver / Ebony - I thought it looked a little more sporty and "younger" than the parchment, and I just thought it would be easier to maintain than the black exterior.

Either way, like the dealer told me, when you're driving it - all you see is the road and the other cars whizzing by!!

Just my 2 cents.....
Old 08-14-2001, 11:27 PM
Racer

We did not like the Ebony interior ...

... at all! I do not care for the black wood trim, and I think the silver guages look better against the lighter interior. Of course all of this is subjective.

All this to say I picked the interior first, then the exterior. I think the White Diamond Pearl looks great.
Old 08-15-2001, 01:18 AM
Advanced

I have a thing for blue

I absolutely had to have ABP and the ebony interior 'cause I owned 2 vehicles with cream/tan leather interiors and found it difficult to keep clean no matter how often I tried to clean it.

And that's not even mentioning the tan carpeting

Trust me bro you'll be thankful if you go with the Ebony interior.