Insurance, repair, and body shop gurus: PLEASE READ

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 02:27 PM
Wallace, LA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Insurance, repair, and body shop gurus: PLEASE READ

Hey everyone, I’m a second-generation TL forum member but I’m trying to get as many opinions as possible; thus, I am posting in all of the forums. My situation is this: I was rear-ended (luckily I escaped with only minor injuries) and now I have an estimate. I’m not pressing charges or filing for medical help as my injuries are easily remedied with time and some simple care. The other driver was very apologetic and classy, and I don’t want them to pay any more than is necessary. I’m providing pictures of my car and a summation of the offenders insurance agents appraisal of what needs to be replaced and how much it will cost. Her insurance company is AIG. What I would like to know is did I get a fair estimate? Can you think of anything I could request to get replaced along with what is already written? And if you’re from my area (Baton Rouge and New Orleans), would you please suggest a quality, thorough, and professional shop? Obviously, being a car enthusiast, I want the job done correctly and for my car to be restored back to the way she was. All opinions, questions, thoughts, and ideas are welcome. Just please don’t clutter the thread with posts only saying “wow that sucks” and offering no insight. I’m not trying to be rude; but I have a lot on my plate now besides my car issues; so, assistance in this matter, without the clutter, is very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

P.S. I would like an all-new paint job, as the batch they repaint the rear with will of course be SLIGHTLY different to the batch used on the front. In other words, even though I hope to get the car painted at a reputable shop, I did not buy a two-tone car to begin with, so I don’t want to end up with one. Others may not notice, but I will and it will drive me nuts. I know the difference will be negligible but I want the car fixed perfectly. I’ll admit I’m a car novice (compared to some of the heavy weights on here), but these are just my casual observations and concerns; please show some patience with me as I learn.

- Repair/refinish RIGHT quarter panel: No amount specified
- Repair/refinish LEFT quarter panel: No amount specified
- ***She said it is a mess to replace them, and it is better to “pull” them out? I’m skeptical, but again uninformed.
- Remove/replace/refinish luggage lid panel: $545.35
- Remove/replace/refinish luggage lid hinges R and L: $80.75
- Remove/replace luggage lid latch: $85.20
- Remove/replace luggage lid emblem: $17.23
- Remove/replace luggage lid nameplate: $46.00
- Clean and deodorize interior: $75.00
- ***I had groceries and the milk I just bought exploded in my trunk and the smell has permeated throughout the car.
- Remove/replace/refinish rear body panel: $231.93
- Rear body floor pan: $500.00
- Anti corrosion materials: $8.00
- Remove/replace taillights: $367.66
- Remove/replace/refinish rear bumper cover: $212.00
- Remove/replace rear bumper impact cushions: $66.86
- Remove/replace rear bumper face bar: $159.96
- Detail/Clean up: $10.00
- Paint/Materials: 382.50
- Hazardous waste disposal: $3.00

SUMMARY:
Total labor: $3,037.29
Total replacement parts: $2,537.91
Additional costs: $431.10
TOTAL: $6,006.30

rear #1
Side #1
Side #2
deck lid #1
taillight
side fender
deck lid #2
deck lid #3
deck lid #4
trunk
underbody floor and exhaust
sticker
DEAD
Old 03-07-2006, 02:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
my friends CL-S when only a month old had a little more damage as that(bending in the quarter panels too). and his was just under 15k to get fixed. other then the qtr panel damage too, it looks identical. hope that helps
Old 03-07-2006, 02:56 PM
Back in a Type S

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
First off I'm glad to hear that you are okay. Here is how insurance works in RI. Your state laws maybe different so check to see if this applies. That first estimate that you got was from the adjuster that works for her insurance company. They usually low ball the estimate hoping that you will take it. Based on your pictures it looks like it will cost more than that to fix your car properly. In RI we can take it to any licensed body shop that we want. It's up to the body shop to fight with her insurance company to tell them that they need more money to fix the car right. I would go to a very reputable body shop or even the body shop that is affiliated with your local ACURA dealer (of course check to make sure that shop is a good one too). Her insurance company will then send their adjuster out to the body shop and provide a supplemental estimate once they agree with the body shop. So once again go to a good body shop and express your concerns. (paint matching, and other issues that you can think of) That is the best way...in RI anyway. I got rear ended in my Q45t last year (one of the reasons why I traded it in) and I had to have 2 different supplements to the original estimate. The total cost was over $6000 to fix my car and it wasn't even close to your damage. (they did have to pull the frame on my old car) Here are some pics of $6000+ on my old car and you can see what I mean. Good luck with that. If you have any other questions feel free to PM me. I had a terrible time with this last year and I learned most of the ins and outs of this kind of claim.

Old 03-07-2006, 03:24 PM
RickRoush03

ok, i have been through this before and my cousin owns a dealership so i have delt with the body shop many of times, you get 2 quotes. There is the quote for all the joe shmoes that want this or that fixed on their own, no insurance, then there is the quote for the insurance co. where everything as far as labor, materials has been standardized so one shop can't fubar and charge more/less than another. Now what you'll prob get is her adjuster, give you an amount, and then you can go anywhere you want to have it done most likely. if you go somewhere diff, you can just show them that quote and they have to work off that. if more stuff arises, and 8 out of 10 times it does, then they call the insurance co. to get more $$ Don't let them say you pay the diff now and the insurance co will pay you later, doesnt work like that.

good luck!!

oh ya, today's good shops can blend in your paint work, you wont be able to tell as they will be able to color match and blend in the fixed parts of the car with the original.

now after its all done, go ahead and get your lost value on your car since it's lost value being in an accident. forgot the term, but its negotiable.
Old 03-07-2006, 03:47 PM
Banned

yea for labour, dunno bout u americans. but in canada its about the same for all shops, including dealership, like 95/hr get atleast 3 quotes, 2 is good, but just do 3, 1 from the dealer, other 2, whoever.

damn u got smoked dead center...thats hvy dmg
Old 03-07-2006, 04:13 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Auto body repair these days is all standardized, and virtually all kinds of work has a published book time. So it won't really matter where you take it... the main difference is whether the estimate is done by the paying insurance company (AIG in this case) or a good body shop that is unbiased.

What I mean is that the paying insurance company may want to take the cheap routes, or don't fix some things at all if it's within legal standards. Also, the paying insurance company may want you to take it a shop where they have contracts with them for cheaper labor charges.

So it's very important to take it to a shop you want the work done at, Mark. Don't let AIG screw you around. None of this is your fault, and don't let them tell you what to do and how to do it. Tell them that you will get your own quotes. That would be the first step.

Once you get that done, present your quote(s) to AIG and tell them that's what you have. They may or may not agree; if they do, cool. If not, you will have to nudge them a little bit.

I usually don't recommend this because people are afraid of the possible consequences, but I've done it before with great results; if you run into problems, call your own insurance company and ask them what you should do, because you're getting screwed. AAA has always been there for me and gave me advice on what to do and stuff.

Anyway, after the estimate process comes the actual repair process. It depends on how much you trust the body shop... I used to have this one shop do all my work, and I never bothered with inspections or anything because they called me and kept me updated and the finished work was always great. But if you take it to a shop you've never dealt with, then you might want to stop by every once in a while and make sure everything is going right. Once the car is "done", inspect everything and make sure it's repaired properly.

From the looks of it, they will probably have to rebuilt the whole rear end... I think I saw the rear bumper mounts bent and halfway torn off. The good news is that this most likely won't affect the way the car drives... it looks like the rear bumper did what it was supposed to do. But the bad news is that since you are OCD about the paint and stuff, it might not come out exactly like how it was before... it almost never does, unfortunately. Basically the rear half of your car will be repainted, and that's a lot of work, a lot of room for error and mistakes, if the body shop isn't careful. So make sure to inspect everything thoroughly once it's "done".

Good luck, Mark.
Old 03-07-2006, 04:23 PM
checkmate...

Man o' man! Mark, how'd it happen? At a light?

Anyway, when LSU had to pay for mine, they told me I could get two quotes from any shop I preferred. I got one from Owen's Auto Body off Airline Hwy. on Jefferson Hwy (I think). The other I got back home in New Orleans at California Customs on the Westbank. I liked the initial impression I got from both of them. The owner of Owen's personally inspects your car and gives you a quote.

Good thing your noggin is still in good shape for studying! And don't settle for their amount too quickly.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Bummer about your car.

I agree with Rob (PA). Take it to a few shops YOU trust and want the work to be done at to get estimates. Select teh one YOU want, not one the insurance company wants you to go to.

As for the paint. I really wouldnt worry about it too much. Most good shops will blend it and you will never know.
WHEN you pick it up, pick it up in the day time! (sunny if possible) INSPECT it up and down, look at it from all angles. If there is something you dont like now is the time to bring it up to their attention (like paint not matching, overspray where it shouldnt be, subpar job, ect..) not a day or 2 later.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:15 PM
Senior Moderator

As for the 1/4 panel replacement/repair, its up to the body shop and the severity of the damage. Yours looks like the trunk lid took the brunt and the right 1/4 has a small crease? It can most likely be pulled straight with out hacing to replace it. They will know more once they dig in and start.
Old 03-07-2006, 07:27 PM
291hp & 245 tq @ 3.5psi

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Gotta tell your insurance company and see what they recommend the repair shop or go to the most reputable repair shop for an estimate. This is not your fault so telling your insurance won't hurt. If I was you, I would go to Acura dealer for a referal repair shop and get an estimate of repair with all replacing parts are new OEMs. Your car is only 2003 so it's not that old. This kind of damage is way much more than $6,000. My Accord with just replacing new rear bumper cost over $3000. Your insurance will take care of everything once you have a repair estimate from repair shop that you choose. Good luck!
Old 03-07-2006, 08:11 PM
Wallace, LA

Originally Posted by ProvidenceLeaf
First off I'm glad to hear that you are okay. Here is how insurance works in RI. Your state laws maybe different so check to see if this applies. That first estimate that you got was from the adjuster that works for her insurance company. They usually low ball the estimate hoping that you will take it. Based on your pictures it looks like it will cost more than that to fix your car properly. In RI we can take it to any licensed body shop that we want. It's up to the body shop to fight with her insurance company to tell them that they need more money to fix the car right. I would go to a very reputable body shop or even the body shop that is affiliated with your local ACURA dealer (of course check to make sure that shop is a good one too). Her insurance company will then send their adjuster out to the body shop and provide a supplemental estimate once they agree with the body shop. So once again go to a good body shop and express your concerns. (paint matching, and other issues that you can think of) That is the best way...in RI anyway. I got rear ended in my Q45t last year (one of the reasons why I traded it in) and I had to have 2 different supplements to the original estimate. The total cost was over $6000 to fix my car and it wasn't even close to your damage. (they did have to pull the frame on my old car) Here are some pics of $6000+ on my old car and you can see what I mean. Good luck with that. If you have any other questions feel free to PM me. I had a terrible time with this last year and I learned most of the ins and outs of this kind of claim.
I think insurance works similar to that down here, thanks for sharing your experience.
Old 03-07-2006, 08:13 PM
Wallace, LA

Originally Posted by RickRoush03
ok, i have been through this before and my cousin owns a dealership so i have delt with the body shop many of times, you get 2 quotes. There is the quote for all the joe shmoes that want this or that fixed on their own, no insurance, then there is the quote for the insurance co. where everything as far as labor, materials has been standardized so one shop can't fubar and charge more/less than another. Now what you'll prob get is her adjuster, give you an amount, and then you can go anywhere you want to have it done most likely. if you go somewhere diff, you can just show them that quote and they have to work off that. if more stuff arises, and 8 out of 10 times it does, then they call the insurance co. to get more $$ Don't let them say you pay the diff now and the insurance co will pay you later, doesnt work like that.

good luck!!

oh ya, today's good shops can blend in your paint work, you wont be able to tell as they will be able to color match and blend in the fixed parts of the car with the original.

now after its all done, go ahead and get your lost value on your car since it's lost value being in an accident. forgot the term, but its negotiable.
Good explanation of how the process works...also thanks for the tips about the paint and to make sure I don't get tricked into paying the difference.

Appreciate it.
Old 03-07-2006, 08:22 PM
Wallace, LA

I'll get some more pictures tomorrow, any ideas on what I should get a shot of that would be more telling?

And thanks guys for all your insight and time.

- Mark

I want to study but this shit is on my mind and I can't think straight when I have stuff hanging over me. It's midterm week too. Ugh.....
Old 03-07-2006, 10:39 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Sorry for your mishap and it’s nice to know that you are OK.

Make sure that you ask for original Acura replacement parts (OEM parts) and don't settle for aftermarket parts. Also, keep in mind that any half-decent body shop will have to inform you on progress, especially when they start working on your car and may find more details to work on. You can request insurance company to be in direct contact with body shop, so all monetary issues will be worked out without your involvement.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:52 PM
Back in a Type S

Originally Posted by Clickit02

Make sure that you ask for original Acura replacement parts (OEM parts) and don't settle for aftermarket parts. Also, keep in mind that any half-decent body shop will have to inform you on progress, especially when they start working on your car and may find more details to work on. You can request insurance company to be in direct contact with body shop, so all monetary issues will be worked out without your involvement.
I forgot...that is HUGE! Make sure the body shop is going to use ACURA parts and not some crap parts. Sometimes the estimate will quote prices for parts that are inferior to the OEM parts. A good body shop will push this for you. That is what I had to go through last year, but in the end I got original Infiniti parts. I was dealing with a great bodyshop. Anyway, don't worry about it too much. You have a lot of info now. You'll be fine. She rear ended you and she is insured. No worries! Good luck on your midterms!
Old 03-08-2006, 12:29 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Clickit02

Good call. I totally forgot about that. My body shop guy only gets OEM parts for me, so I take it for granted now, but yeah, it's a big issue.

He told me that one time he had a car in for repair, and the insurance guy came in with used bumpers and stuff. "What's that for?" "This is what you're fixing the car with." Literally, the insurance guy went to a junkyard and picked up used parts for dirt cheap. I couldn't believe it. And apparently it happens a lot, because most people don't even think about that and let the insurance and body shop take care of it. You've GOTTA keep an eye on that. It's very important that they use OEM parts. I've seen OEM-replacement/equivalent parts, and they are of lesser quality. Make sure to request OEM parts.
Old 03-08-2006, 01:00 AM
now where ya at.....vegas

Jay's body shop in kenner by the airport is a really good shop and they mainly just deal with bmws but they do good work and i would recommend them if you plan on getting your tl fixed in the new orleans area
Old 03-08-2006, 02:24 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Holly crap....Thats a HUGE accident.

The damages there could easily cost over 7k.

Most likely this will be dealt through insurance unless the person who is paying it is rich.

Hope everything goes well for ya.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:26 AM
Wallace, LA

Originally Posted by chewi
Holly crap....Thats a HUGE accident.

The damages there could easily cost over 7k.

Most likely this will be dealt through insurance unless the person who is paying it is rich.

Hope everything goes well for ya.
Actually her dad owns a nice restaruant in New Orleans...
Old 03-08-2006, 08:30 AM
Advanced

I'm not guru on any of the areas you mentioned but I had to get my car fixed twice. Once I did it in New Orleans, and it was a great job and expensive. The second time I tried a different place bc I didn't feel like waiting to get my car fixed and the job wasn't that good. The second place was in hammond.

I would recommend the place in New Orleans, it is called Westbank bodyworks. Here's the info

525 Behrman Hwy
Terrytown, LA 70056

(504) 394-8340

The name of the guy you want to talk to is Bud. He's the one that does the appraisal. They are very professional and they are expensive. They also give you a lifetime warranty on their job! Make sure you get a loaner or a rental for the period your car will be in the shop, which is going to be a while.

I don't make anything out of this, I'm not affiliated to this guy, I'm just trying to help you out. Good luck with this.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:33 AM
Wallace, LA

Do I show the other body shops the estimate given to me by AIG at any point when I take my car to their places for them to give me their estimate? Also, do I let them know it is someone else paying for it(their insurance), or do I initially make them think I'm paying for it?
Old 03-08-2006, 08:40 AM
Advanced

Don't do that, you are not paying to get the damaged fixed, so don't worry about getting the best price, worry about getting the best place to get the job done.
I think that you should discard AIGs estimates and bring the car to a place where YOU are going to be comfortable with. Besides they should pay for the damage irregardless of where you want to get your car fixed.
Tell them that the other person's insurance is going to pay for it, why lie? It's not going to get you anywhere.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:43 AM
Wallace, LA

She (the AIG appraiser) accidently bragged on herself and mentioned how she knows all of the people at the body shops in Baton Rouge; I'm now hesitant to get the car fixed here and am leaning to New Orleans. I'm afraid some shops here may have some loyalty towards her? Or is this unlikely? I want to go to New Orleans where they would be more probable to be flexible with me and make me a deal on a paint job (ex. they will paint the entire car for me for considerably less if I just pay them a bit more out of pocket on top of what their insurance pays).
Old 03-08-2006, 08:46 AM
Wallace, LA

Originally Posted by Imtheweezel
I'm not guru on any of the areas you mentioned but I had to get my car fixed twice. Once I did it in New Orleans, and it was a great job and expensive. The second time I tried a different place bc I didn't feel like waiting to get my car fixed and the job wasn't that good. The second place was in hammond.

I would recommend the place in New Orleans, it is called Westbank bodyworks. Here's the info

525 Behrman Hwy
Terrytown, LA 70056

(504) 394-8340

The name of the guy you want to talk to is Bud. He's the one that does the appraisal. They are very professional and they are expensive. They also give you a lifetime warranty on their job! Make sure you get a loaner or a rental for the period your car will be in the shop, which is going to be a while.

I don't make anything out of this, I'm not affiliated to this guy, I'm just trying to help you out. Good luck with this.
Thanks for the advice. They use all OEM parts? Are they likely to get something replaced if they have the slightest doubt about its quality after the wreck?

Thanks
Old 03-08-2006, 08:55 AM
Wallace, LA

I've been told by someone on the CL 2g board my car is too old to request all new OEM parts??? This can't be?
Old 03-08-2006, 09:27 AM
Back in a Type S

Originally Posted by TLsu
I've been told by someone on the CL 2g board my car is too old to request all new OEM parts??? This can't be?
That is NOT true. You can get OEM parts. I wouldn't just throw out the first estimate. Like I said. Go to whichever body shop that you like, show them the estimate and voice your concerns. Then they will add to the estimate as they work. A lot of your damage won't be known until they start pulling the car apart. The original estimate is based on what the apraiser could just eye. That's is why the body shop will contact the insurance company while they are into the work to get a supplement to the original appraisal. Just make sure you get a good body shop. They will take care of the rest!
Old 03-08-2006, 11:03 AM
Wallace, LA

That is NOT true. You can get OEM parts. I wouldn't just throw out the first estimate. Like I said. Go to whichever body shop that you like, show them the estimate and voice your concerns. Then they will add to the estimate as they work. A lot of your damage won't be known until they start pulling the car apart. The original estimate is based on what the apraiser could just eye. That's is why the body shop will contact the insurance company while they are into the work to get a supplement to the original appraisal. Just make sure you get a good body shop. They will take care of the rest!

Thanks, for the response...

So I show the body shops I get estimates from the AIG estimate before they examine my car and come up with their own?

Also, somebody on the CL forum(not the same member) said:

"if you show them the quote from the body shop..AIG would just gonna tell you...ok get it fix there and we'll pay the shop more if needed.

I would go to a body shop that does custom work...tell the guy the insurance is paying for this so if he can fix the damage...full lip kit, and a totally new paint job and have him tell the insurance thats how much it cost to get it back to normal. a knew a few in Dallas that does that.

Every wreck (small or big) my friends get into, they always come up with a new paint job and body kit."

That seems too good to be true? That would be nice but seems a bit optimistic after what you guys have said(about the paint job) and morally questionable(the lip kit since I did not have one on prior to teh wreck)? Honestly, though, this has been such a hassel and so time consuming I think I'm owed a little bit more than just getting my car back the way it was. I'm not saying I'm entitled or anything...it would just be nice to get some compensation for frustration, time, energy and such. I don't know I feel greedy

Thanks guys.
Old 03-08-2006, 01:52 PM
Wallace, LA

Me: So what kind of rental car am I getting?
Insurance Rep: A mid sized car comparable to the TL
Me: So what is that going to be?(skeptically)
IR: A Dodge Stratus or something, I'm not exactly sure
Me: hahahahahaha

As if the "Dude, is this an Accord?" questions weren't enough...
Old 03-08-2006, 02:37 PM
Back in a Type S

Me: So what kind of rental car am I getting?
Insurance Rep: A mid sized car comparable to the TL
Me: So what is that going to be?(skeptically)
IR: A Dodge Stratus or something, I'm not exactly sure
Me: hahahahahaha

As if the "Dude, is this an Accord?" questions weren't enough...
I was too when I got my rental. I got a Dodge Charger for 4 weeks! That was what the insurance company compared my Q to?!?! Anyway the Charger was fun to beat the crap out of for the month. I think it had half of the tread that I started with when I returned it.
Old 03-08-2006, 05:49 PM
Wallace, LA

I was too when I got my rental. I got a Dodge Charger for 4 weeks! That was what the insurance company compared my Q to?!?! Anyway the Charger was fun to beat the crap out of for the month. I think it had half of the tread that I started with when I returned it.
What can I do besides power breaking?
Old 03-09-2006, 09:57 AM
4th Gear

see how long it takes to go 0 to 100 and back to 0 again.

ps- power brakeing
Old 03-09-2006, 10:14 AM
Advanced

Thanks for the advice. They use all OEM parts? Are they likely to get something replaced if they have the slightest doubt about its quality after the wreck?

Thanks
Yes, my car had a pretty bad accident and they replaced everything that had the slightest dent. Very professional. If it can't be replaced then they fix it good.

When I had my wreck the painted the whole car and it was included on the estimate they gave the insurance. AGAIN, DON'T PAY OUT OF POCKET, it wasn't your fault. It's not like you are asking to get your car repainted over a stupid little dent. You have considerble enough damage to get the whole car painted if you want to.

Besides if you get it paint completely and you try to trade it in you'll get more money rather than if they only paint the back of the car. No matter how good the shop is I don't really think they will be able to match the paint 100%.

Good luck
Old 03-09-2006, 10:20 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
What can I do besides power breaking?
Wow, an old friend of mine once stated.....There is a reason you dont EVER buy a car that was a rental car at one time...and that reason is people like Michael Benz!

Parking Lot Seat Belt Tests Were Always a Favorite! Then try this...grab the emergency brake handle and cram the accelerator to the floor until the front wheels start to smoke. AutoCross it in the parking lots for a while! Did you ever wonder what would happen if you drove 30 MPH and just put it in park? Find out! Reverse to Drive Slams are good for about 10 minutes of fun! Try a parking lot powder-slide (with E-brake help) and see how many trim peices you can get to fall off the car. So far...my record is two! No doubt...you should stop by the hardware store and pick up all the mulch for this coming year too! If you got safe room...top speed runs are always fun too! Then...just for kicks....rip back home at about 60mph and give it another seatbelt test (E-brake slam) into the driveway! If its not smoking yet....start with the Autocrossing until it starts! Then call em and tell em that there must be something wrong with the car? Dont forget to pay the $20 extra for the insurance up front! Then make it well worth it!~
Old 03-09-2006, 05:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Thanks, for the response...

So I show the body shops I get estimates from the AIG estimate before they examine my car and come up with their own?

Thanks guys.
I wouldnt even waste my time showing them AIG's est. Just bring your car into a shop that you wouldnt mind the work being done at. If its more its more, AIG will just have to cover the diff, since all they can do is est and they arent actuall body shop people. Plus there may be hidden stuff that they catch that AIG didnt.

This really isnt as complicated a matter as your making it out to be. (sorry if i sound like a dick, not trying to be.)
Old 03-09-2006, 05:40 PM
Wallace, LA

Yeah, it's all starting to piece together now that I'm seeing the bigger picture. I've never been in these shoes before; also, we all know everything bureaucratic is always made more difficult than it has to be. I just had to sift through the bullshit to get to the bigger picture. Appreciate you guys help. I have a few leads on some good body shops; they'll take it from there now that I have a rental. The part that is going to be the biggest pain in the ass is driving to the shops with my busted car and getting a feel for each of them and deciding which one I want.
Old 03-09-2006, 05:49 PM
Instructor

If your insurance company sees that they will declare your car totaled believe it or not and pay you full value for it. So why tell them, hes at fault his insurance company will pay the damages not yours. So tell them asap and get your money because that was a hard hit. Buy yourself a new car or buy a 3g TL
Good Luck
Old 03-09-2006, 06:23 PM
Wallace, LA

Originally Posted by Hova1222
If your insurance company sees that they will declare your car totaled believe it or not and pay you full value for it. So why tell them, hes at fault his insurance company will pay the damages not yours. So tell them asap and get your money because that was a hard hit. Buy yourself a new car or buy a 3g TL
Good Luck
If my insurance company sees what? State law in Louisiana is that if the cars damage is not more than 75% of its value; it is not totaled. Sadly, I don't think my car has 75% of its total value in damage.
Old 03-10-2006, 01:27 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
If you are at fault and your insurance pays, they can opt for aftermarket parts, or you will have to come up with $$ in difference. In your case, you can demand OEM.
Old 03-14-2006, 05:29 PM
Wallace, LA

So yeah, car goes into the shop on the April 18th; yeah, everything is backed up down here because of Katrina. I'm thinking I'm getting her fixed, returning her back to stock, then just turning her over to buy a 2003 black on black TL-S with less miles.
Old 03-14-2006, 05:43 PM
Back in a Type S

So yeah, car goes into the shop on the April 18th; yeah, everything is backed up down here because of Katrina. I'm thinking I'm getting her fixed, returning her back to stock, then just turning her over to buy a 2003 black on black TL-S with less miles.

If you can get a type-S, DO IT!

Quick Reply: Insurance, repair, and body shop gurus: PLEASE READ