Insurance is killer

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2001, 02:32 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Insurance is killer

I was insured w/ my dad on the TL as the second driver and the price was 700CDN but now my dad has bought a 2002 civic si (ex in usa) for me and i want to insure it. The price came up to 10,000! They said I have to be the primary driver for the second car because the same person can't be the primary driver for both cars. Is there a way around this? Like keeping the insurance on the TL w/ me off and buying insurance from another company for the civic so i can be secondary. Is this possible or is there a law that says I have to insure from one company. Another idea comes from a friend. They bought a new corrola and didn't get insurance for him til 3 months after then went in as secondary and father was primary for both cars. I need some serious help here cause no way i'm paying $10,000, that's almost half the car itself. FYI i did shop around and the price range was around here.
Old 11-27-2001, 04:59 PM
Pro

$10k????

Holly cow! About this primary thing, what if you owned both cars? That dont make sense...
Old 11-27-2001, 05:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

I dunno how Canadian auto insurance regulations go, but at least down here, I don't know of any rule that says you have to insure all of your vehicles with the same insurance company, or that you cannot be designated as the primary driver on more than one vehicle--what if you were single and owned 2 or more cars?

Tony
Old 11-27-2001, 05:44 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Re: Insurance is killer

Originally posted by TL-QT
I was insured w/ my dad on the TL as the second driver and the price was 700CDN but now my dad has bought a 2002 civic si (ex in usa) for me and i want to insure it. The price came up to 10,000! They said I have to be the primary driver for the second car because the same person can't be the primary driver for both cars. Is there a way around this? Like keeping the insurance on the TL w/ me off and buying insurance from another company for the civic so i can be secondary. Is this possible or is there a law that says I have to insure from one company. Another idea comes from a friend. They bought a new corrola and didn't get insurance for him til 3 months after then went in as secondary and father was primary for both cars. I need some serious help here cause no way i'm paying $10,000, that's almost half the car itself. FYI i did shop around and the price range was around here.
Firstly, it is probably a bad idea to try to have youre dad as principal driver on bothvehicles as in the event of a claim, especially if it is serious, the insurer may look for a way to deny your claim abintio, leaving you and youre dads assets exposed to claims by others. Its a bad idea to lie on an insurance application, as the insurer may look for a way to deny a claim, and they may be able to do so if you misrepresent yourself. Obviously if you are younger and are a full time driver, the risk would be higher than if you were an occasional driver.

Also, how old are you, what is youre drivers record, # of accidents? For $10,000, you must be really young with a poor driving record. Also, a Civic SI, is not exactly the car for a young male in the insurance companies eyes, (can you say a young guy driving like a nut).

I suggest you call around to more insurers.
Old 11-27-2001, 05:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm insured under my dad. He pays about 7-8000 a year for three people three cars. He wanted me to check the price for insurance under my own name and it came out to

12,000 US dollars a year with a $1000 deductable!!!!!!!!!

You believe that shiat??? Geico btw.

Rosh
Old 11-27-2001, 08:35 PM
Advanced

if someone owns 2 cars with no other drivers then they are both primary. i have a clean record, 18 and G2. i'm close to getting my full license and turning 19 so i got them i got full license and 19 and that was the price. the reason they do this is because this is a way to cheap the system when young drivers get new cars and claim they are only gonna drive it once in awhile but really drive it constantly. there's gotta be a way around this thing. what if i were really am an occasional driver, that's not fair to pay that much.
Old 11-27-2001, 09:25 PM
Instructor

$10,000 My wife and i pay less than $1500 a year for all three cars (Ok, I'm not single, 19, etc)

Something's not right with that figure - call around for other quotes.
Old 11-27-2001, 09:32 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by Black TL
I'm insured under my dad. He pays about 7-8000 a year for three people three cars. He wanted me to check the price for insurance under my own name and it came out to 12,000 US dollars a year with a $1000 deductable!!!!!!!!!

Rosh
Damn Man ! What a f*ckin rip off ! ! !
Even though a young male is statistically a higher risk, that's about 15 times what I pay (I'm 36). And if you are 15 times more likely to cause damage / injury then me - then you need to be riding the bus.

This kind of BS is enough to almost justify driving uninsured. With the $ you'd save, you could afford a good lawyer to get you off if you ever got nabbed ! (j/k)
Old 11-27-2001, 10:03 PM
Drifting

$10k is ridiculous! Unless you have an extremely poor driving record, you should never expect that rate on a Civic Si.

I'm paying $700+/year for my 02 TLS for comprehensive and $500 deductible. (AAA Insurance)
Old 11-27-2001, 10:08 PM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
The insurance in Canada are high in gerneral... well in Ontario I should say... in BC, they don't have that problem...

You CAN use 2 different insurance company... I know a family with 4 cars, 4 driver... they insurance 2 cars with insurance A for 4 drivers and insure another 2 with insurance B...

And YOUR DAD CAN be the primary driver for both cars... which insurance company are you dealing with?
Old 11-27-2001, 11:19 PM
Safety Car

I pay $1095 every six months. $500 deductible.
Old 11-27-2001, 11:47 PM
Racer

Exclamation That's the wheel, Nate!

Hello, Nate,
That's the look I wanted on the wheel Nate--I thought the dash wood was excessive, but after looking at your photo, I must say your ride looks damned good--Thanks for the photos!
BTW--this was meant for the other forum re: steering wheel but it would not let me delete this--sorry!

Al :o
Old 11-28-2001, 12:43 AM
Instructor

10K? no way!

Hmm...it can't be 10k!!

Myself (in Toronto) as an example...in 96, when I got my g2 (i was 17) and my parents bought me a brand new golf (not vr6)...which is a bit cheaper than the civic (not much tho)

On my own policy, my premiums were 3200 for 12 months. 500 deduct.

If it seriously is 10k....than i suggest you 'lie' and insure it as a primary under your fathers name thru a different insurance company (try a company you can do over the phone) (RBC, ATTO, Belair)

sanjay
Old 11-28-2001, 08:13 AM
Racer

$10,000 is a bit much, but not matter what price they give you, you should always comparative shop.
Last yr I got a DUI and my insurance was sky high when I got my TL-S. The reason u should compare insurance prices is b/c there can be some BIG differences in pricing. I got quotes from 3 companies and they gave me quotes of $5800, $4900, and $3000 for one yr of coverage.
There's a huge difference between $5800 and $3000, so just shop around.
Old 11-28-2001, 10:08 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just figured i would share my .02:

I am a single 23 y/o male in NY. With my '00 TL being my first car under my name and never being under my parents policy with the others (shhh! ) I pay $2108 a year with $1k deductible (my choice because it lowers the yearly rate by a few hundred).

I was just recently looking at a '02 vette because of the 0% interest on it and called my insurance company (MetLife) for a quote. I was quoted $729 for 6 months! Yes, that is right. I couldn't believe it was that low and asked for her to explain. She informed me that it was not my daily driver and it was my second car. Also she told me that any teenager can go out and buy a Acura, but this is not the case for a vette. This is with 300k across the board coverage and also a 1k deductible. Needless to say I was ready to jump on it but am putting it off till the '03 50th anniversary edition

For the record....I have a clean license with no accidents or any <i>convicted</i> tickets.

BTW...when I was about 18-19 I looked at a Camaro Z28 that was brand new at that time and my insurance company (Progressive) wanted almost $9400 a year with 1k deductible, so i know how you guys feel
Old 11-28-2001, 10:51 AM
Burning Brakes

When I looked at getting coverage from Geico it was going to be about 20% higher than the carrier I was with at the time (AAA/California State Auto Assoc.), and I had one of the most expensive insurers in Cali. I shopped around, and Safeco was able to give me the same coverage with deductables at 250 instead of 500 for half the cost of AAA, so that would be a WHOLE lot less then Geico. Right now I'm using Esurance, and I've been pretty happy with them and their rates. I'd highly suggest shopping around, it can make a huge difference.
Old 11-28-2001, 05:03 PM
Advanced

I did shop around, i even did the www.insurancehotline.com and it gave me some places. The cheapest one so far that i've called is my home insurance company which is 7800 and that's with 15% off because i have home insurance with them. Buying seperate insurance for the civic would cost me 4000, me as secondary. Still very pricy but cheaper. If the prices are going to be around this range i'm just gonna drive it under my dads name hell with this insurance. hehe. But i really think insuring my dad for both cars first then waiting couple months then me going into is the best way to go. Like i said before (i think) they make me primary is because a lot of kids buy cars and use their parents as primary to make insurance cheaper and so if they add their kid and a car at the same time it seems kinda obvious that the car is for the kid and not for the parent.
Old 11-28-2001, 06:58 PM
Cruisin'

i'm paying for my insurance $1,300 for 6 months and $500 deductable...its also full coverage since its a lease. my fiance is primary driver and i'm the secondary. we're both 23 and have clean license. we got this coverage with geico but the only reason we got such a good rate from them is because we were referenced by my sister-in-law. about a year i was thinking to get a maxima so i got a quote also through geico, on my parents name and keep in mind this would be a third car, they said coverage only on the maxima would be 9 grand...so go figure.
Old 11-29-2001, 07:04 AM
Drifting

I did shop around, i even did the www.insurancehotline.com and it gave me some places. The cheapest one so far that i've called is my home insurance company which is 7800 and that's with 15% off because i have home insurance with them. Buying seperate insurance for the civic would cost me 4000, me as secondary. Still very pricy but cheaper. If the prices are going to be around this range i'm just gonna drive it under my dads name hell with this insurance. hehe. But i really think insuring my dad for both cars first then waiting couple months then me going into is the best way to go. Like i said before (i think) they make me primary is because a lot of kids buy cars and use their parents as primary to make insurance cheaper and so if they add their kid and a car at the same time it seems kinda obvious that the car is for the kid and not for the parent.
try www.kanetix.com
Old 11-30-2001, 09:13 PM
Instructor

YOYO! I'm gonna save ur ass from being raped by insurance!

oh yah! how old r u? Did u have any bad accident record?

if u got no bad record then u can try this place

https://www.belairdirect.com

it's the cheapest in toronto. Well, they give out cheap insurance for people who r at the "high-risk" age. u know.

After i screwed up my dad's insurance record.. other insurance company quoted my dad for like a sky high price too. Right now, the TL is still insured at 6800$ a yr with 1000$ deductable.

and the BMW is insured under my name with 5900$ a year with 1000$ deductable. So, that is not that bad. Coz the quote they gave me at other insurance comany were like 9000$, 12000, and stuff like that. This is the cheapest i've came across..

Besides. U would save even more money, if ur dad doesn't have any accident record. Since Bel Air handles insurance policys over the phone, u can tell them "MY DAD WANNA GET INSURANCE. NO, HE DOES NOT HAVE ANY OTHER CAR"
then u can get in as a 2nd driver. Or, better yet.. to save more... u can just drive that civic without ur own insurance. (since ur dad is the primary driver and the car is insured under his name. So it's perfectly fine for the SON to "borrow" DAD's car for the "DAY")

right? hehehehe

good luck man
Old 12-01-2001, 07:25 AM
Banned

Don't forget that you as a driver are only 1/4 of the eqaution for figuring out the cost of insurance. The second part is, of course, the vehicle in question to be insured. The third part is the primary use of the vehicle (private passenger vs commercial enterprise) and the fourth part--this is the one people often forget--is where you live, or principle place of garaging. If you live in what the insurance industry deems a "high crime" area, you're going to pay significantly more for your comprehensive coverage (theft, fire, vandalism).

For example, I currently pay $1800 a year for full coverage on *both* my '97 Maxima SE and my '02 TL-S. If I were to move just three towns south of where I live now, that rate would be almost $4000, or a 100% increase in premium just because of where I would live. Those of you that live in big cities are going to pay more than those in the country. Just a fact of risk management in the insurance industry.
Old 12-01-2001, 05:55 PM
Intermediate

The plan of switching to a second driver will not work for a few reasons. First when your father gets insurance for HIS vehicles they ask him if there are any other driver's in the household (regardless if they touch the car's or even drive at all). Secondly assuming that both car's will be under the same insurance company; they will DEMAND that you be put on a as a primary dirver on one of the vehicles. Even if your father insures the car's with two different companies; it might work for a while (worked 3 years for my family). But when they do find out that your father is the primary on more than one vehicle (with more than 1 driver in the household). They will call you up and threaten you to solve the situation or else suspend your coverage.

The only logical way/easiest way to rip off the insurance companies in your case; albeit illegal. Is to get your father a second home address. Then sign up with two different insurance companies. This way the insurance companies will find a harder time cross referencing his history. If/when they find out it what your doing; there would be some logical explanations for why he has two addresses (parents separated \ garaging issues and so on). Having the two addresses causes a great deal of stress when it comes to license information and vehicle registration; but it might be worth it your case.

Young male driver in Ontario pay's $350-500 in third party risk insurance alone in Ontario regardless of type of vehicle.

If it helps you; i'm 18; G licenced; live in Woodbridge and the car is registered in my name and the insurance is in my name. $500 deductible & $1,000,000 liability cost's me $8,000 a year through State Farm.

Insurance with nearly everything else in life; you get what you pay for. You own a TL; you should know what im talking about . The cheaper insures will try to rip you off when it comes time to make a claim.

Hope this helps .
Old 12-01-2001, 07:24 PM
Pro

I just renewed my policy with $1M 3rd party liability and $1000 collision deductible, $100 comprehensive deductible, lost of use, from Insurance Corporation of B.C. (a Crown corp.) for $1500/yr! And I thought I was getting ripped off.

$10,000 a year is NUTS! If you are a new driver I have heard you can get a discount if you take driving lessons. But definately do not "lie" to get a cheaper rate. They may refuse to provide coverage in an accident.
Old 12-01-2001, 09:00 PM
Instructor

$10,000 a year is a bit much. Are you sure there's something you are not telling us?? I'm an insurance agent and sometimes when I don't want some1's business or when I feel the customer is not telling me the whole truth I will quote them high so they will go with another company but not to the tune of $10k a year though.
Old 12-02-2001, 03:24 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by Eskimo
I just renewed my policy with $1M 3rd party liability and $1000 collision deductible, $100 comprehensive deductible, lost of use, from Insurance Corporation of B.C. (a Crown corp.) for $1500/yr! And I thought I was getting ripped off.

$10,000 a year is NUTS! If you are a new driver I have heard you can get a discount if you take driving lessons. But definately do not "lie" to get a cheaper rate. They may refuse to provide coverage in an accident.

Yo man, you know what... BC got the BEST & CHEAPEST insurance in the whole Canada... Yes, I know it's a crown crop.(yet right just a fancy name for government owned enterprise!) But they are good. Where as in Toronto, they got competition yet everything is still high.........
Old 12-02-2001, 02:00 PM
Pro

SL1200MK4, I know we have it pretty good in B.C. with government run car insurance and I hope it stays that way. Our newly Liberal government have been talking about "privatizing" auto insurance on and off.

I believe in free markets in general but not after reading about other members experience in the U.S. and the rest of urban Canada.
Old 12-02-2001, 03:04 PM
Racer

I think that $10,000 is way too much to be paying for the TL..

I am with Halifax insurance and I am paying $2,000 with 1M liability, 500 collision and 300 comprehensive. The TL is registered in my name as well as me being the primary driver. I also got depreciation wavier for 2 years along with some whole other package of clauses. (rental vehical coverage, etc)

I am now 26 and was on my parents insurance since 17. I also had one at fault accident in 1997 which they forgave

You have to shop around... Melonche Monnex is another company that gave me $2000. But I heard that they only insure professionals. (I'm a Electical Eng) I got a number of quotes between 2500 - 3000 but then went with the same company my parents are with (Halifax) as they were willing to give it to me (match) for 2000.

Shop around some more. I would not want to cheat on insurance cause they can f!ck with you later when needed.