Instructions: shock sensor on factory alarm

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2001, 07:43 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Instructions: shock sensor on factory alarm

im not sure if this is something the average do it yourselfer should do, but you can try it at your own risk

for the record, i had nothing to do with determining the proper wires and troubleshooting the setup...TOTL pretty much guided me through the whole thing. so if you thank anyone, thank TOTL!

all youll need to buy is a shock sensor ($15-$40... get a cheap one, they are all the same), and a normal sized female prong.
the shock sensor should have 3 wires. red/black/and trigger, which should be green

remove the fuse box cover
remove the lower dash
push the parking brake down
get well under the dash with a flashlight. on the backside of the fusebox you will see about 8 or so harnesses pluged in. you are going to look for the FRONT of the fuse box. obviously, its facing the front of the car. there is only ONE harness plugged into the front of the box, so there is no way to get it confused with something else. its extremely hard to find so be patient.
take your time and remove the harness

the black (-) wire from the shock sesnor will tap into the black wire from the harness. which originates from one of the corners of the harness

simply strip the wire (dont cut it!) and attach the shock sensor wire to it, secure it properly

the green (trigger wire) from the sensor will go to the yellow wire, which originates from the right side of the push down clip on the harness

now plug the harness back in.
put the female clamp on the red wire. on the same side of the fuse box (back), with all the harnesses, you will see 4 terminals that are EMPTY. there are no harnesses in them, from the factory. they are all at the side closest to the rear of the car. they each have one male prong in them. plug the female prong onto the most bottom right terminal. it should be labeled 'T'. the plug should fit perfectly on it

mount the shock sensor on a wobbly surface. on a set of existing factory wires for example.

thats it. put it all back together, arm the alarm, wait 20 seconds, and shake the car. it alarm will be tripped

play around with the sensitivity knob

i was going to post pictures but i cant find any memory cards for the camera

good luck
thanks totl

------------------
Follow as i ride
99 Satin Silver
Bridgestone RE-730 225/55/16
oem kit
ctech exhaust
ctech sways
aem intake
system
Old 06-19-2001, 09:12 AM
Pro

Great post! Just a note though, some shock sensors have an orange trigger wire, but I think most people wil figure that out.

Mods should keep this in the archives for future reference.
Old 06-19-2001, 10:10 AM
Three Wheelin'

who is TOTL? Is that the ScreenName?

but great post. I might have to try it.
Old 06-19-2001, 10:27 AM
Racer

Wow..this is great. I'm going to have to try this out. Thanks man...and thanks to TOTL.
Old 06-19-2001, 01:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

here are some pictures

the other terminals are dead when the car is off, but im sure you can use the one live one for something

female prong

sensor

bottom right power terminal

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by mr tl on June 19, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 06-19-2001, 02:16 PM
The Doctor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
awesome!! thank you thank you!! now i can get my Car Toys guy to work!

although I may be able to do it myself (I always do my own mod) but I am less of a electrical guy... maybe i should do it myself, what u thihnk? do you think it's doable?

------------------

2000 Metalic Silver TL
OEM Bodykit
Comptech springs
Comptech Sway bars
AEM Short Ram
Custom mesh grill
Polarg M-12 Side signals
Acura 7-CD changer
all-season mats
clear door guards
Custom front license plate
Bra - XPEL clear bra, that is.
Pikkachu on the back passenger window
------
Coming soon!
comptech exhaust
TL-S tails
Old 06-19-2001, 03:13 PM
Advanced

If you don't do this right, like if you accidently connect wires together that shouldn't have been or something of that nature, will it do any damamge?

------------------
Red
Gold Grill, Gold Rear emblums, Gold mufflers
Hi-Lo Hydraulics
2 12" inch Kicker Comp VR Subs, 1 9" factory Bose Sub.
Old 06-19-2001, 06:07 PM
Intermediate

Does anyone know how to do this on a 98 Accord? These wires that you are tapping to, do the plug into the brain?

Old 06-19-2001, 06:13 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by optiknerve:
If you don't do this right, like if you accidently connect wires together that shouldn't have been or something of that nature, will it do any damamge?

Shoot... that is what I am afraid of. Like Mr. TL said, it might not be for "average-do-it-yourselfers". I personally don't have the skills to do it.. nor do I trust myself on stuff like that. The thing is.. I'm not sure if the local stereo shop will do that for me.
Old 06-19-2001, 06:20 PM
Advanced

Thanks for the pics, going to find sensor right now.
Old 06-19-2001, 08:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

id think MOST of you can do it.
if you dont trust yourself, obviously dont do it.

take a look and see if you can find the harness im talking about, if you can, everything should go smoothly. if theres a surprise, just abort mission
Old 06-19-2001, 08:16 PM
Banned

Thanks alot guys. As some of you know my car got broken into about 3 months ago cuz the theif broke in through the small back rear window. I was hessitating to get an aftermarket alarm cuz of the lease and stuff. If you guys have like any brands of sensors please let us know. And where can you get this at? Thanks once again. Great Job and Keep it up !

------------------
2000, Acura, 3.2TL, Satin Silver
AEM CAI, Fog Lights, Spoiler, Bra, Splashgaurds, Wind Deflector, Blue Indiglo Emblem, Xenon High Beams, 2 10" MTX Competitions with Bandpass Box & 600Watt Amp, Tint, 2 50 series 3 Chamber Flowmasters with 3" Bosal Bro Tips, Took out both Resanators, Radar Detector, Custom Mesh Grile, & Clear front headlights.
Old 06-19-2001, 08:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

How bad is the shock?
Old 06-19-2001, 11:22 PM
Cruisin'

Thumbs up

mr tl
thanks for posting the instructions. They are much clearer than the ones I originally posted. this is a nice, cheap and easy mod for anyone to do.
Old 06-19-2001, 11:28 PM
Advanced

Pics of the shock sensor and the female prong would be great. Also since there are terminals not used is it possible to do other things. Also sorry about the half post before this.

------------------
2001 Silver TL with Navi
Old 06-19-2001, 11:28 PM
Advanced

Pics of the shock sensor and the female prong would be great. Also since there are teri
Old 06-20-2001, 01:32 AM
Ain't No Other...

One big question!!!

Why do you mount the sensor on a wobbly surface, like existing wire harness or something, why cant it be mounted on a solid surface, for example, the chassis of the car or something, wouldnt it be more effective, knowing that there is a sensitivity controller also???

thanks!
Old 06-20-2001, 05:37 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by SinnedTL:
One big question!!!

Why do you mount the sensor on a wobbly surface, like existing wire harness or something, why cant it be mounted on a solid surface, for example, the chassis of the car or something, wouldnt it be more effective, knowing that there is a sensitivity controller also???

thanks!
good question. i originally mounted mine on the frame under the dash, and it could not pick up slight vibrations, even at the most sensitive setting. i guess it would depend on the sensor. it works great on a stack of wires i attached it to
Old 06-20-2001, 02:15 PM
Sticky Rice OwnZ joO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by TOTL:
I mounted my to the drivers side fuse box...pretty solid, and it seems to work just as well. It may be kinda brand specific (mr tl's sensor is audiovox, mine is alpine).
Hey thanks to you and mr tl for the instructions!!

How much are each of these sensors? Can I pick them up at any electronic store?

one more Q, do you mount the sensor with.. tie wraps, velcro?

I'm going to see if I can locate that harness tonight.. if I can get a sensor soon, I'm doing it this weekend..
Old 06-20-2001, 03:26 PM
Instructor

i just got a shock sensor, but it has 4 wires... the extra wire is the warn-away... would you happen to know if this option can be used and where it would connect to???

Thanks!! looking forward to getting this done soon!
Old 06-20-2001, 10:55 PM
Banned

Hey, I just purchased a genaric shock sensor from a local car shop. I found the harness in the back of the fuse box, it took me a while I might add. But, the black wire is the ground wire right? So I just put it to the ground where you hook the lower dash back up to, OR dose it have to go to the black wire in the harness where the yellow wire connects to the trigger as well? I dont know whats wrong with it but its not working. Is the light supposed to flash once it is hooked up or when it is activated? Thanx

------------------
2000, Acura, 3.2TL, Satin Silver
AEM CAI, Fog Lights, Spoiler, Bra, Splashgaurds, Wind Deflector, Blue Indiglo Emblem, Xenon High Beams, 2 10" MTX Competitions with Bandpass Box & 600Watt Amp, Tint, 2 50 series 3 Chamber Flowmasters with 3" Bosal Bro Tips, Took out both Resanators, Radar Detector, Custom Mesh Grile, & Clear front headlights.
Old 06-20-2001, 11:50 PM
Cruisin'

I mounted my to the drivers side fuse box...pretty solid, and it seems to work just as well. It may be kinda brand specific (mr tl's sensor is audiovox, mine is alpine).

I think anyone should be able to do it. My guess is it would be really tough to screw something up, and the worst consequence is probably blowing a fuse.
Old 06-21-2001, 01:55 AM
Pro

LOL, man look at your sig! you already got tons of shit whats 15-40 bucks more gonna do?

BTW, Can i get this from Radio shack then? anyone know part number, and price?

THANKs

Originally posted by Asif2002:
nI was hessitating to get an aftermarket alarm cuz of the lease and stuff.
Old 06-21-2001, 04:25 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by jumpman:
i just got a shock sensor, but it has 4 wires... the extra wire is the warn-away... would you happen to know if this option can be used and where it would connect to???

Thanks!! looking forward to getting this done soon!

The warn-away circuit will not work - hooking up this wire will not invoke the warn-away but will just trip the alarm. One thing you need to watch for is that the sensor you have is considered a dual-stage sensor. You may need to crank up the sensitivity so the second stage will trip upon any impact.
Old 06-21-2001, 04:35 AM
8th Gear

hopefully this would be good enough to deter those wanting to steal headlights!

can someone post pics of the install? great simple project. i'm wondering if the one harness is the same harness that is listed in the install. thanks!
Old 06-21-2001, 06:12 AM
Three Wheelin'

id think it would be too much trouble to get the dual stage sensor to work (warn away). just use the warn away wire as the trigger. wire them together as one wire, that might work

i used zip ties to strap mine down. i think TOTL did the same

on mine, the led lights up whenever i shake the sensor. i dont think it would make a difference but use the ground on the same harness

also, make you you WAIT about 20 seconds after you lock the doors! the alarm doesnt arm right away. the led on the door will change light patterns, when it does, its armed

dont think radio shack would have it, any car alarm/stereo shop should have them

Old 06-21-2001, 12:50 PM
Instructor

well, I've installed the shock sensor, leaving the warn-away wire off... it works, but I literally have to bang on the shock sensor itself to trigger the alarm! I tried wiring both the warn-away and the trigger wires together, with sensitivity at full, and no improvement... did I just get a crappy shock sensor?? and like MR TL said, i waited at least 30 sec for the alarm to arm before trying to set it off... banging on the windows, windshield, or moonroof is not setting it off... What do you guys think??? I'm thinking of getting a better shock sensor... i found a clifford for $30, so I may just spring for it... Let me know what you guys think...

But it does work! only if you take a sledge hammer to the car! :P
Old 06-21-2001, 12:55 PM
Sticky Rice OwnZ joO

Looking at some shock sensors...

it appears to be mainly 2 types.. a spring loaded trigger and an electronic one..

They are referred to as motion sensors on some places..

Electronic vs Spring??
Old 06-21-2001, 01:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Edub-TL:

it appears to be mainly 2 types.. a spring loaded trigger and an electronic one..

Electronic vs Spring??
Where are you looking for these sensors at? I wanna get one too.

Old 06-22-2001, 12:07 AM
Drifting

got a Q, Mr. TL

after the alarm is triggered, how long will it take for the alarm to stop? I don't want it to keep going off... anyone tried it yet? thanks

------------------
2000 Red Hot TL w/o nav
Burlwood Trim and Shift Knob
Wood Trim Set
Gutter Guard Grill
Nebraska Legal Darkest Tint
Goodyear Eagle HP Ultra Plus 225/55/16
Photos Of My RED HOT TL
Old 06-22-2001, 12:22 AM
j83
Pro

thanks guys imma hook this up to where my headlights bolt down onto the chasis(or somewhere near it)... would i be able to hook more shock sensors?..
Old 06-22-2001, 02:37 AM
The Doctor

you are correct in that there are two kinds of impact/shock/motion sensors. One is digital (or electronic) and another one is mechanical. You want to get the mechanical (spring and magnetic) because only aftermarket alarm brains can control digital sensors, which are interconnected to the aftermarket remotes.

factory alarms such as ours cannot be used with digital.

Originally posted by Edub-TL:

Electronic vs Spring??
Old 06-22-2001, 02:44 AM
The Doctor

I have DEI sensor and it works great!! i paid $30 too. clifford is actually part of DEI, so i guess they are the same.

also, watch out for where you mount the sensor. Don't mount it on a very stable surface such as the metal plate near the fuse box because the metal will NOT absorb impact and no motion energy will be transferred to the sensor. I tried that once and it was almost impossible to trigger the alarm

I then mounted the sensor to the lower dash panel and it works like a charm!! simply use the 3M double adhesive spongy tape and it will take care of everthing!

I have my sensitivity adjusted to the highest so people will know my car is ARMED!!

Originally posted by jumpman:
well, I've installed the shock sensor, leaving the warn-away wire off... it works, but I literally have to bang on the shock sensor itself to trigger the alarm! I tried wiring both the warn-away and the trigger wires together, with sensitivity at full, and no improvement... did I just get a crappy shock sensor?? and like MR TL said, i waited at least 30 sec for the alarm to arm before trying to set it off... banging on the windows, windshield, or moonroof is not setting it off... What do you guys think??? I'm thinking of getting a better shock sensor... i found a clifford for $30, so I may just spring for it... Let me know what you guys think...

But it does work! only if you take a sledge hammer to the car! :P
Old 06-22-2001, 07:24 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Red Hot TL:
got a Q, Mr. TL

after the alarm is triggered, how long will it take for the alarm to stop? I don't want it to keep going off... anyone tried it yet? thanks

2 minutes. thats the factory spec...the sensor wont change the time

if you have the sensitivity too high and the car is in violent weather, i wouldnt be surprised if it killed your battery over night

Old 06-22-2001, 11:46 PM
ab
Advanced

Question

will this set-up work on the cl-s too? do they have the same wiring specs as the tl?
Old 06-23-2001, 04:36 PM
Advanced

Does anybody know any shop in West LA or San Diego where I can buy the sensor? thanks...
Old 06-24-2001, 02:35 PM
Safety Car

I have an aftermarket alarm. My prox is mounted on the floor, under the carpet, between the rear seats. Its strong enough to stand on so it won't get broken. Its mounted on a stable surface and works fine, but probably because its in such an open area. The rear windows are a little more sensitive than the front but even still, standing by one of the front windows triggers the warn away.

Warn away is must have IMO! Do you want the thief to break your window, trigger the alarm, and run away... or do you want him to walk up to your car, hear the warn away, and run away?

------------------
<A HREF="http://www.natestl.com/images/sigs/big/sig5big.jpg" TARGET=_blank> </A>
www.NatesTL.com 2001 Silver TL (non-navi). Mods: 19x8.0 +47 Alstadt Legart (IV) w/ Yokohama AVS Sport 235/35ZR19 - SuperCrystal lug nuts - Inspire wood steering wheel - Inspire tails - 2 burlwood dash kits & shift knob - TL-S AC wood trim - Alumapro BP-10 sub & ZX400TI Phoenix Gold amp - Python 1500 ESP (remote start, all windows up & down, sunroof closes, prox, etc) - Varad blue alarm LEDs - Factory spoiler & body kit - Mugen grill w/ custom mesh - Black chrome emblems - Solaris 9005 high beams - AEM short ram intake - Comptech sways, springs, headers & exhaust - Apex'i V-AFC w/ custom sunglass holder install - All season mats - Polarg front signals, license plate, trunk & map lights - MiniMax dome light - Crossdrilled rotors - Axxis Metal Master brake pads - Inspire door rails - Denso iridium spark plugs.

------------------
"Deadly to the eyes, worth seeing."
Old 10-29-2001, 10:24 AM
Intermediate

You said there are three wires...
black = ground
red = hot when ignition off and key removed?
green = trigger

do you know which harness to use on RSX/RSX-S?
Old 04-12-2002, 12:36 AM
2nd Gear

adding sensor to other acuras

Ok OK I dont have a TL but dumb question, Anyone know if these wires are the same on an 02 RSX type S? Or how I would go about doing this? Also if you can add a shock sensor how bout can u add a prox or motion sensor???? I would really like to do this to my RSX if anyone can help??
Old 04-12-2002, 01:55 AM
Instructor

Hey UW , can you help me install one of the sensors? I will pay you for your troubles. I have absolutely no electronics skills, so I need some help. I was going to get an aftermarket alrm, but it costs a lot of money. $700 plus. I also want to get remote start, but does anyone know where I can get it fo pretty decent price in the Seattle area? Thanks
UW, can you please let me know by e-mail: res09pk5@verizon.net thanks

Quick Reply: Instructions: shock sensor on factory alarm