installed AEM CAI today... had a very interesting time.

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2003, 10:07 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
installed AEM CAI today... had a very interesting time.

I installed the AEM CAI today. Unfortunately, it did not fit. I double checked everything, including model number, instructions, and placement. Everything was done right, yet the piping extended too far forward down there for the filter to go on. The foglight wiring was getting in the way. But even if they weren't there, it would have still been a tight fit, blocking the airflow to the filter.

So I called up AEM in California, and was connected to a Tech support guy named Robert. He was pretty rude, saying stuff like he didn't have time to talk to every customer who complains about fitment problems. And he went on to say that out of thousands of CAI kits that AEM has made in the past, only a very small percentage has had problems.

Now my issue is that my car, as far as the engine compartment is concerned, is completely stock. Why the CAI did not fit, I don't know. The Tech guy also said he didn't know why, and that I was only the second person to call about a CAI fitment problem on an '02-'03 TL Type-S. And that he had nothing to offer to me at the moment. And also that it's my decision whether to put the factory intake housing back in or not. He was very rude about everything, and it really offended me. The only reason I held back from exploding was because he was the AEM Tech support, and I needed his help. But still, I did not appreciate his cocky attitude, treating me like some idiot. He basically bragged about how AEM makes so many kits, and how busy they are. And he LITERALLY said that he does not have the time to sit down and listen to people complain about fitment problems. So if AEM does not want to listen about problems with their own products, what are the customers in trouble supposed to do?

Anyway, he said that AEM was in the process of locating a test vehicle to check out this problem. I asked how long it would take, and he said it could bea month, or even months. He went on to "kindly" explain that the process required locating a test vehicle, then pin-pointing the problem, making a prototype to make sure the problem is fixed, then mass-producing the finished product. Then he went on to say how manufacturing is a very difficult and complicated process. I really felt insulted by the level of his attitude towards me. He treated me like I was some 10-year-old. I did not appreciate that one bit.

He told me to modify the pipe to make it fit and whenever AEM comes out with a new version, they would send me a new one. Or he said I could send it back to whoever I bought it from. And the tone of his voice clearly indicated that he did not give a damn about my situation.

So there I was, with my car torn apart, with a misfitting CAI kit... and one HELL of a customer/tech support representative.

My friends and I ended up cutting the pipe to fit the filter on. It's also interesting to note that a crossbeam between the engine compartment and the inner fenderwell had to be removed in order to fit the pipe on. Instructions did not mention any of that.

I have lost all faith in AEM. Not only have they lost my business in the future, but also my family's, and my friends'. This really is not a good way to take care of customers.

Let's assume... same situation. I call, and a Tech support rep. answers. If he/she politely and respectfully said that AEM is aware of the problem and that they were working to fix it, then I would've just chalked it up to experience and let it go. But the rudeness of this guy really ticked me off.

I'm done with AEM. And so is everyone whom I can persuade to stay away from them.
Old 12-10-2003, 10:24 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
doh, my g/f already paid for an aem intake for me for christmas
Old 12-10-2003, 10:36 PM
Advanced

i have an aem - no probs here - post pics of what yours looks like
Old 12-10-2003, 10:51 PM
boo

Thumbs down

Yep AEM sucks when it comes to customer service. They need to attend some customer relation classes. I was in your shoes circa 1995 with their cam gears.
Old 12-10-2003, 10:53 PM
Instructor

You need to cut the pipe about 3-4 inches. No problems for the 99-01s, but the fogs on the 02-03s get in the way. Also, a bypass valve would also make it longer.

Just do a search for "cutting aem."