Injen vs Aem

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 05:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Injen vs Aem

i saw a thread on this cant seem to find it but anyways, i have been doing research and Injen is so much more expensive than Aem.. Anybody know why? is one better than the other? Also i've notice that Injen has the color black where Aem only has blue, red,silver , and polished.. I would like to find an Aem black... anybody knows where i can find that it would help.. thanks...
Old 07-07-2004, 05:58 PM
El Presidente

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you could paint an Intake Black if you wanted... i know someone hear has painted it, i think edgalang
Old 07-07-2004, 06:15 PM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TL260power
i saw a thread on this cant seem to find it but anyways, i have been doing research and Injen is so much more expensive than Aem.. Anybody know why? is one better than the other? Also i've notice that Injen has the color black where Aem only has blue, red,silver , and polished.. I would like to find an Aem black... anybody knows where i can find that it would help.. thanks...
When I bought my Injen 1p-CAI 2 years ago, the ONLY reason why I went with it was...not alot of people had it (everyone was buying AEM), so I wanted to be different. With that in mind, on the very first meet I attended, I was the only car in all TLs/CLs that had the Injen so I was very happy. Back THEN, the Injen was also cheaper....my best guess is that since AEM came out first and monopolized the market, Injen had to lower their price to compete.

HOWEVER...since further reports of AEM's mounting bracket failure is starting to get more popular, people are starting to look at alternatives. Maybe that's why Injen is starting to get more expensive...since by now I'm pretty sure Injen prooved its long term durability & quality over the AEM.

All I know is that EVEN *IF Injen was "better"...if you live in CA, I still suggest buying AEM simply because they have a CARB sticker. It's too late for me since I didn't know any better when I made my purchase...now I have to find a shop that'll pass me on the visual inspection. (Then again even *IF I had the AEM, I still would have to worry about passing with the non-CARB OBX headers).
Old 07-07-2004, 06:33 PM
El Presidente

yeah, i hate the california regulations
Old 07-07-2004, 09:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

im in VA dont know if it will be a problem...
Old 07-07-2004, 09:15 PM
Kollage is funn!

TL260, i say go with the INJEN...it has a better rumble and growl and as edgalang said, at the end the INJEN is better quality. that's my 5 cents.
Old 07-07-2004, 09:33 PM

im in VA dont know if it will be a problem...

Only Californians have to worry about CARB stickers...you'll be fine with whatever you choose.
Old 07-07-2004, 09:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

Yea if anybody has an BLACK Injen CAI let me know.... i repeat a BLACK Injen CAI for sale please let me know.............
Old 07-07-2004, 11:42 PM
Drivin' it till it dies!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Does anyone know if an air bypass valve could be used with the Injen CAI? That's the only thing stopping me from buying the Injen. I just want to be sure that if the filter takes on water, it will be displaced before it enters my throttle body.
Old 07-08-2004, 01:49 AM
Three Wheelin'

where did you get those mesh grill? and who cleans ur engine?
Old 07-08-2004, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by pistacio
Does anyone know if an air bypass valve could be used with the Injen CAI? That's the only thing stopping me from buying the Injen. I just want to be sure that if the filter takes on water, it will be displaced before it enters my throttle body.

Good luck with the by-pass. It may look good on paper...but put in practical daily use...it does TONS more damage than benefits. I would stay CLEAR of the bypass regardless of intake I use.

P.S. The bypass doesn't care what pipe you put it on...as long as you get the right size of pipe (TLS=3 inches) & match it with the right bypass size, it'll fit no matter what.
Old 07-10-2004, 12:26 AM

where did you get those mesh grill? and who cleans ur engine?
This response is completely off the subject but, if you were asking me, I made the mesh grills myself including brackets I made for the bottom. I bought A.P.C. aluminum mesh grill in a sheet from Pep Boys and trimmed it to fit the openings. As far as cleaning the engine, I pretty much keep up with it every couple of car washes. Basically I just wipe off any visible dirt with a rag and some all-purpose cleaner. By the way, do you like the grills? I keep getting bashed by "etxx" on this site. He (or she) thinks they look horrible. Sorry for getting off the subject.

I think buy reading this thread I'm also in the market for an Injen CAI (maybe red?). Thanks guys.
Old 07-10-2004, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by edgalang
Good luck with the by-pass. It may look good on paper...but put in practical daily use...it does TONS more damage than benefits. I would stay CLEAR of the bypass regardless of intake I use.

P.S. The bypass doesn't care what pipe you put it on...as long as you get the right size of pipe (TLS=3 inches) & match it with the right bypass size, it'll fit no matter what.

What do you mean by doing more damage. Does the by-pass let in dirt particles? That is the only problem I see.
Old 07-10-2004, 01:36 AM
Three Wheelin'

thanks for answering my question now back to the subject oh and i think they look pretty good... not bad
Old 07-10-2004, 01:44 AM

Check the store on this site. They sell the Injen in black.

Does anybody know why the 2-piece Injen cannot be used in the type-s? I would like to change back and forth between short ram and CAI, that's why I'm asking.

I'm really sorry for the , really.
Old 07-10-2004, 09:40 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
check out the AEM V2 intake!!! check the DYNO tests! it rules over the injen
Old 07-10-2004, 09:57 AM
Sig Rho's Finest

whats the diff between the V2 and regular aem?!
Old 07-10-2004, 11:50 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by BiggJ12
check out the AEM V2 intake!!! check the DYNO tests! it rules over the injen
the aem V2 intake is non type S... is there one for the Type S?
Old 07-10-2004, 02:19 PM
Intermediate

Aem V2

go to www.aempower.com and check out the V2 information. also check out the DYNO tests! the V2 is far more sophisticated than a regular CAI and performs awesome with a VTEC engine!!
Old 07-10-2004, 02:51 PM

What do you mean by doing more damage. Does the by-pass let in dirt particles? That is the only problem I see.

#1 The by-pass lets dirt in. A REAL foam filter is oiled and doesn't dry up...whereas the foam filter included in the bi-pass will dry up and eventually be eaten away by the elements. If a filter is dry (this is the same with cotton) it does not filter properly any more. In addition...YOUR ENGINE will start sucking in brittle foam.

#2 After extended use, the valves *may break off and be lodged INSIDE your throttle body. This can be caused by over exposure to the elements and by the constant vibration the pipe goes through causing the entire casting to crack and cave in.

#3 The valves NEVER fully close...it is ALWAYS letting hot air in reducing performance (even IF the foam filter worked properly).

#4 The change in pipe diameter causes turbulence in the overall design of the intake, reducing the effectiveness of the CAI even further. Hypothetically...if the valves never break and close 100%...and the foam filter is the best filter on earth which means it never dries up...by design alone the by-pass STILL robs power by creating turbulence. THIS IS A KNOWN FACT THAT EVEN AEM ADMITS TO.

Items #1-3 IS CONFIRMED by trusted members between ATL & ACL who all had bypass filters. If...you are still convinced and want to use the bypass...at the VERY MINIMUM don't buy it new...there are TONS of bypass owners that is willing to sell (or even give it away) their existing one.
Old 07-10-2004, 09:55 PM
Advanced

whoa - relax.

It's not really a valve.

Take a straw, suck on it.

Now cut (or bite) a hole in the straw halfway up it

Suck again. See if the air is coming from the bottom or the new cut out.

While sucking, emerse the straw in water. You will now be sucking air from the cutout, not the end.

If the end is not blocked (or under water), the air comes from there, not the cutout (or bypass "valve").
Old 07-11-2004, 01:09 AM

the aem V2 intake is non type S... is there one for the Type S?
Anybody? I'd like to know also if there is one for the type-s.
Old 07-11-2004, 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by orion_21
whoa - relax.

It's not really a valve.
:shakehd:

I suggest you do more homework. Like I said...it only looks "good" on paper.
Old 07-11-2004, 01:33 AM

Anybody? I'd like to know also if there is one for the type-s.

Go here...
www.aempower.com

If you still don't believe that there is NO V2 for the Type-S...call them here.

AEM Headquarters

Also...refer to the FAQ regarding the "Bypass Valve"

Q: Can I use an AEM Bypass Valve with the V2?
A: AEM V2 Intake Air Induction Systems utilize a dual chamber to create multiple frequency sound waves. The installation of the AEM Bypass Valve would disrupt the tuning of these systems. Therefore the bypass valve should not be used.

Q: Will the AEM Bypass Valve cause a loss of power?
A: The bypass valve may cause a slight loss in power due to the interrupted wall section created by the internal shape of the valve...
Old 07-11-2004, 11:17 AM
Kollage is funn!

pistacio- there isn't one for the Type S....i've researched this. i'm getting the INJEN race division CAI....i from what i see and hear so far i recommend it....however my install date for my intake is tomorrow (7/12/04)....

one more thing....hey pistacio, what's with your tint on the windows?? your ride looks so sick, i just think it needs some tints....on ABP, i'd put a good 20% or 25%. what do ya think?
Old 07-11-2004, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by shawn744
one more thing....hey pistacio, what's with your tint on the windows?? your ride looks so sick, i just think it needs some tints....on ABP, i'd put a good 20% or 25%. what do ya think?
I don't want to tint it because I think it looks "cleaner" without. If I do ever decide to do it I'll probably get a VERY LIGHT mirror type tint or VERY LIGHT blue, almost like the mercedes benz factory tint.

The Injen RD , is that a one piece or two?