Initial impression of my new TL

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2001, 08:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Talking Initial impression of my new TL

I've had my TL for just over a week and just wanted to share my initial impressions. The bottom line is that the more I drive the car, the more I love it! It is a true driver's car, even in TL-P format. Some specifics:

1. I find that I spend most of my time using the Sport Shift mode. I have always abused automatics by using the 1st and 3rd gear settings in slow traffic...now I have a transmission that is built for me. The first two days I kept accidentally pressing the shifter backward because I thought I was back in a manual.

2. Seats are firm, and the lumbar support works for me. I know others on this forum find the TL-S seats better, but the TL-P seats work fine for me.

3. The suspension provides a much firmer ride than I was accustomed to in my Intrepid. This is a good thing as I prefer a firmer ride and more communication with the road in order to adjust my driving appropriately. The ride is not very different from the TL-S, and so I don't particularly feel I missed anything by not purchasing the TL-S, other than that my Porsche-owning colleague teases me for chickening out on buying it.

4. The thermometer reading is always within a degree or two of what the radio announcers say. I have found this part of the display useful in this COLD part of the country.

5. I think Bose screwed up with the TL's stereo. There's just not enough bass! Nd subwoofer, my butt! This is the only aspect of the car that is not perfect, though it was not enough of a showstopper for me not to buy the car. I'll just have to spend MORE time browsing the Audio and Electronics part of this site...

6. Build quality is Hondaliciously perfect! No rattles, squeaks, tranny breaks yet in 425 miles....

7. Still don't miss the navi. I'm too busy having fun driving the car to notice it.

8. I'm going to be purchasing some Zaino Z1 and Z2 to preserve the beautiful Nighthawk Black Pearl paint, and I hope to receive it before the first snow.

So far, I love the car--much more than I loved the Intrepid after the first week (had a tranny break the first week!). And to those who feel the TL is not worth 6k more than the Accord V6....OH YES IT IS! I know because I bought an Accord for my wife a few months ago. I didn't buy one myself because I don't like the way the new Accords look. It's as if Honda decided to take a design holiday, and passed the design engineers on to Acura.

Will keep y'all posted!
Old 12-11-2001, 09:06 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have Fun

WoW! Sounds like you really love the car. Good for you! I hope you really enjoy it. I'll be picking up a TL-S in a couple of weeks too. I hope I am as enthusiastic as you a week after I pick up my car. Enjoy!
Old 12-11-2001, 09:58 PM
Banned

Re: Initial impression of my new TL

Originally posted by neuronbob
6. Build quality is Hondaliciously perfect! No rattles, squeaks, tranny breaks yet in 425 miles....
Shhhhhhhh!!! Don't wake the sleeping giant......
Old 12-12-2001, 12:17 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Im glad you like your tl. You should be pleased with its performance. I got a 99 and 36,000 trouble free miles.
Old 12-12-2001, 03:43 AM
Instructor

Re: Re: Initial impression of my new TL

Originally posted by pianoman41

Shhhhhhhh!!! Don't wake the sleeping giant......
My giant has eerrrrrrrrr....Awaken.