immobilizer question for those who've done swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 09:56 AM
Regional Coordinator (Texas)

Received 607 Likes on 308 Posts
immobilizer question for those who've done swap

The reason why i'm asking here is because no one in the CL section has done a swap, except one guy and I have sent him a message.

My car: 01 CL-S
Donor car: 03 CL-S6, i have the whole car including the ecu and the key.

We are starting the swap this weekend and my only worry is the immobilizer.

I am swapping over everything including the wire harness in the dash, every single thing. The reason why is because the donor car will get everything out of my car and turn into an automatic,(I did not wanna keep that car as my personal car and converting it to automatic and reselling it later to keep my cost down to about 1500). The car has a salvage title. I love my personal car and have spent to much money and time on it, so I cant just let it go and buy another 6speed CL for a replacement.
so basically, i'm not gonna be splicing or cutting any harness because everything has to be reused.

I'm using the original keys from my personal car. The ecu will be from the donor car. Dont want to go through the hassle of changing out the ignition switch, all the locks, etc.

I'm also trying to avoid taking the car to the dealership (since this isn't just normal programing, I might be charged up the ass), I have connections to where I can get the same programing done for 20 bucks.

From what I'm told, "I need the key codes for both cars to be able to program them in the new ecus. This could work or not" im' working on getting the key codes from the dealer.

here is the question for the guys who have done the swap:
how did you program the keys to work with the different ecu.
did you have to get the codes? how much did the dealerships charged to program them in ur case? or any advice you can give me. that would be great.

did any body disable the immobilizer? if yes, then how?
is it easy to remove the ignition? any diagrams of it?
Old 08-28-2009, 02:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
You have to bring it to the dealer. Its not even in the factory service manual on how to do it. It cost me like 40 bucks at the honda dealer to have it done and it took less than 30 min.

Yes you can remove the ignition. There is a DIY on it.