I'm having a major dilemma!! Used Gs400 or 2003 TLS?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2002, 01:23 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm having a major dilemma!! Used Gs400 or 2003 TLS?

Well I test drove both cars and I love both of them. Of course I can only have one. I have been looking at the 98-99 GS400's with less than 50,000 miles. The Lexus drives very smooth and with little wind noise. Acceleration in that car is amazing and the interior is great. Most of these 98's and 99's still drive like brand new cars. Only concern I have is that I would have to buy an extended warranty and also I think the insurance on the GS400 is more than the TLS.

I was also very impressed with the interior of the TLS. It did not drive as smooth as the Lexus but it still drove very nice. The major concern I have with the TLS is the transmission problem I have been hearing with the 2002's. Do you think the 2003's will have the same type of problem?
Any other problems that you guys have reported with the 2003?

So what do you think I should do?
The Acura is such a good deal with all the options but the Lexus is such a nice car.

Oh and one more thing. Are there alot of aftermarket performance parts for the TLS?
What kind of performance parts are out there as of now and what performance parts are coming in the future?
Old 04-16-2002, 01:32 PM
Drifting

The GS series has not been the most reliable relative to other lexus cars (it's still reliable but not super duper like others).

It comes down to preference. If you want RWD then the choice is clear....

Get a new G35!
Old 04-16-2002, 01:42 PM
Racer

Personally, I would prefer a brand new car that smells new and fresh. I would go with the TL-S or maybe the G35.
Old 04-16-2002, 01:58 PM
Instructor

Considering I sold my TLS after 7 mos and bought a Lexus, you can guess what my recommendation will be. I had no tranny problems, but the interior had a lot of rattles and squeaks. Not even close to the quality of Lexus I'm enjoying now. I did however realized that I wanted a nice, quiet inetrior a lot more than a fast car (until I can afford both, as in a brand new GS 430). Now, I don't know what I'd do given the fact that the car is 3-4 years old and has 50000 miles on it. What's resale on a 9 year old GS 300 vs a 5 year old TLS?
Old 04-16-2002, 02:05 PM
Intermediate

Talking

I just went through the same issue. Although Lexus' and Acuras are generally good cars that don't really have too many problems the issue came to warranty and resale value. If you change cars like you change underwear then I would opt for the brand new TL-S. I made my decision and bought a TL-S because of the warranty and the fact that in 3 years the car would only be 3 years old with about 30-35K miles but a 98-99GS would be around 70K miles and 8 years old. Don't get me wrong the GS is a great car but I opted for the resale value of a 3 year old car versus a 8 year old.
Old 04-16-2002, 02:32 PM
Pro

dang thats a tuff one....
one is used other is new.
GS4 is a better car but is it worth the money for a used one when you can get a brand new TL-S?

i dont know...tuff call tho...man
how much for the GS4?
Old 04-16-2002, 02:36 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by VeiLsTyleZ
dang thats a tuff one....
one is used other is new.
GS4 is a better car but is it worth the money for a used one when you can get a brand new TL-S?

i dont know...tuff call tho...man
how much for the GS4?
I found a 99 GS400 with 35,000 miles on it for $27,900. I was gonna buy it but the dude sold it before I could get my loan approved
Old 04-16-2002, 02:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Lightbulb

Wow, that is a tough call. Personally, I could never justify spending that much money on a 3 year old car with 50k miles on it. I'm sure it's worth every penny, however, I still couldn't justify it.... especially when cars aren't a good investment anyway.

I'd go with the TL-S or the G35. I'd actually wait until the G35 coupe came out if you had the time... that thing is HOT. The TL-S has had some isolated tranny problems, but if you read all of the topics about it... it's kind of spotty. You're probably looking at about 2-3% failure rate, which is the industry average (believe it or not). Plus, should something happen to go wrong, you're covered with a warranty. Like someone above said, the GS is prone to problems also.... so why spend that much money, plus a warranty, for someone else's headache?

I'd say get the TL-S, then save up and buy the Lexus new in about 3-5 years!!
Old 04-16-2002, 02:47 PM
9th Gear

I had the same dilemma. Answer: bought my new TL-S w/navi last week. Think about it, a 4-5 yr old car, for a brand spanking new Acura. Not much thought needs to go into that process. Think about it!
Old 04-16-2002, 02:52 PM
Pro

Originally posted by Mr. Bo Jangles

I found a 99 GS400 with 35,000 miles on it for $27,900. I was gonna buy it but the dude sold it before I could get my loan approved
dude i would of got that.....man..that was a good deal~
man..i had the same dilemma
used 96 sc400 or a 2000 TL two years ago...so got the new TL at the time.
I like new cars better...but damn GS's are freakin nice
id get the gs4
Old 04-16-2002, 02:56 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by dmplease
I had the same dilemma. Answer: bought my new TL-S w/navi last week. Think about it, a 4-5 yr old car, for a brand spanking new Acura. Not much thought needs to go into that process. Think about it!
Ya but the thing is the GS400 DOES feel like a brand new car. It just has some miles on it.

I know that tranny problem for the TL is only for a small percentage of the cars but that's kinda scaring me.

You gotta admit though the GS is a nice ride. But so is the TL.
Old 04-16-2002, 03:04 PM
Pro

Ya but the thing is the GS400 DOES feel like a brand new car. It just has some miles on it.

I know that tranny problem for the TL is only for a small percentage of the cars but that's kinda scaring me.

You gotta admit though the GS is a nice ride. But so is the TL.
yeah dude..the GS4 is hella nice man..but it has to be a gs4 no gs3 ..cuz the gs3 is slllooowww.
it all depends on what you want...i guess...
gs4 is like whoa its a LEXUS~! but its being redesigned next year and it looks kindda like the new redesigned E class. i heard it was really nice.
but if you get a new car atleast you dont have to worry about problems(except maybe the tranny) but no other problems and what cars dont have little rattles hear and there once they get older. used cars could have some accidents
Old 04-16-2002, 03:05 PM
Intermediate

In my personal opinion i would get a new car over used. especially a TLS over a 99 GS400. spending 30k on a used car is not worth is - just take that 30k and lease a brand new 430/ or finance one
Old 04-16-2002, 03:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Immediately after i bought my car, I had remorse. After looking
around, you can get so many great used cars. GS400 has one
of the nicest and quietest interiors around and I actually like the
chunky exterior it has, especially since you can put on 20's. But,
I have to admit, its nice knowing I'm the only owner on my car
I have a relatively new body style that wont get outdated too fast.
And this winter, I was super happy to be driving a fwd. I drove a
mustang in the snow when I was a teenager... it's possible but,
not fun. So now, thanks to an ok sized aftermarket bin, I'm very
happy with my choice, but I don't think I could have gone wrong
either way.
Old 04-16-2002, 04:05 PM
BlingBling INSPIRE 32V

Considering Toyota makes great Motor/Tranny than Honda, I would go with GS400. You have to look for every feature, like HID & NAV for both cars because those counts towards the value of the car. Good luck!!
Old 04-16-2002, 05:10 PM
Instructor

I have driven Lexus's for a while now- I just traded an ES 300 for the Type S Navi- Awesome vehicle-

As for the GS400 It has probably a HARD 50K on it. What are you going to do with it after you put 50K on it and get bored of it-

Loss of money
Old 04-16-2002, 05:51 PM

Why, get the GS sir!

Well first off buying a NEW car is a huge mistake if your gonna KEEP it. DEPRECIATION is the key word. Ask your rich friends (with some sense) they always buy 2-3 year old cars.

GS 4's are only driven hard if the owner KNOWS what his/her car is capable off. Most still just cruise in it and most are owned by older people who DO NOT push the car.

Value, a 10 year old GS will hold as much value as a 5 year old TL (or it's competition)plain and simple.

Honestly they are 2 very different beasts. Just get the 100k warrenty and be done with it....

My major problem with the GS 400 is the seats need some more side bolstering and that is about it.

I guess you can't lose with either choice.
Old 04-16-2002, 06:07 PM
Racer

i agree with 1sicklex,

just dont get first year production, they have a few problems...
(ex. rattling steering wheel)

but definitely get a gs400. ideally, i would get a 2000 gs400 because of the upgraded braking system. dont forget the extended warrenty too!

the quaility in lexus is so much better then acura, you pay for what you get....IMO
2 different cars.....plain and simple

i was going through the samething, the only reason i bought a tl-s last year is because of the navi.....

i couldnt find a 99 or 2000 gs400 w/ navi in my price range. and if i cant get a gs400, im not getting a gs300!!!!!

i cant complain, i bought my car for little under 31k!
Old 04-17-2002, 01:07 AM
Advanced

Originally posted by Davidas
Personally, I would prefer a brand new car that smells new and fresh. I would go with the TL-S or maybe the G35.

I agree with you there, about the upsides about owning a new car. Personally, I have never owned a brand new car, but I for damn sure would like to get one.

Damn, I wish I could afford a nice new TL, CL, or a 330. That would be tizzight.
Old 04-17-2002, 06:13 AM
Banned

They're not in the same league.....

I dont see you running into any major problems if you go w/ the used GS- they are pretty reliable cars and 50kmi on a 98-99 is not that bad.....

but, you go w/ the TL and you have a brand spanking new car, dont have to worry about any major problems (except for maybe the tranny ), and you might save some money.

It's a toss up....what to do, what to do
Old 04-17-2002, 06:49 AM
Racer

Lexus GS400 is definitely an amazing machine, but to me, a used car is a used car. I don't care how reliable the car is; the fact to the matter is, you're still going to have to replace worn parts.

My personal philosophy: DON'T EVER SPEND MORE THAN $10K ON A USED CAR. IT'S NOT WORTH IT. But then, it's your money, and this is just my $0.02.
Old 04-17-2002, 08:08 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by SpoonPower78
Lexus GS400 is definitely an amazing machine, but to me, a used car is a used car. I don't care how reliable the car is; the fact to the matter is, you're still going to have to replace worn parts.

My personal philosophy: DON'T EVER SPEND MORE THAN $10K ON A USED CAR. IT'S NOT WORTH IT. But then, it's your money, and this is just my $0.02.
I don't agree with your statement.

I bought a used 95 Acura Legend with 60,000 miles on it 4 yrs ago for $18,000. Since then I have had no major problems whatsoever. I just spent money on the regular maintenance.

There are good used cars out there to be had.
Old 04-17-2002, 08:43 AM
Drifting

Another thought:

Do you need a manual? Do you need a big back seat?

If not then you could also consider a 1 year old IS300 in auto. Now that the 6 speed is out the Auto's are available relatively cheap.

Also no offence but if you're borrowing money to buy a car then maybe you should consider something cheaper (unless your future earnings are VERY secure).
Old 04-17-2002, 09:17 AM
Pro

dont get the gs, they're remodeling it for 2004 and when it comes out, u wont want the old body style any more...also....a gs400 runs 14.5 stock 1/4 mile, every mod u put on there is gonna cost u a grip...if u get a tl-s, mine ran 14.7 with just an intake and i have tons of other mods left that i can put on and im sure that i can beat 14.5 easily
Old 04-17-2002, 10:18 AM
Instructor

I kinda agree that your GS may lose value b/c of a redesign. However, a 2004 Acura is going to be redesigned as well, so you'll be in the same boat. Speaking of boats, how about a Buick?
Your GS already took a "new car" price hit, which is what you'll just have to experience with a TL. I'm also thinking that you have made up your mind and want that Lexus, you just want us to tell you it's OK. 1) Go with it, they're great cars. 2) Go to a Lexus board, you may get more support
Old 04-17-2002, 10:49 AM
Intermediate

Thumbs up

Either choice is fine choice IMHO. Add another one in equation (G35) and you really have choices you can't make mistake on.
I've been in same boat from feb-march. Looking around similar used GS400, TL-S, A4, 330i, etc.
TL-S didn't quite suit me on enthusiatic drive (handling part of it), A4 lacked power, 330i was a joke on my budget. Came down to GS400 and started looking for edmunds TMV price on less than 50k mi car. A month of searching didn't help me at all. Always above the TMV by easy 2-3k. Add another 1-1.5k for extended warranty. It does get into pricing of brand new TL-S or not quite fully equipped G35. (Keep in mind finacing for used car is usually about 1-2% higher than new car as well)
Cometh 3/11, my dealer calls me in the morning letting me know G35 is here. I go test drive one and the deal is sealed.
The ride isn't quite as supple as would have been at GS4. The handling is notch better. Braking is superb like none other I've driven. Power feels about same (a little more torquery in GS4 but top end goes to G35 IMO). Coming from Honda background, I didn't mind the highend power at all
Road noise from tire on GS4 is definitely more subdued. (The stock tire in G35 really needs upgrade for road noise stuff... handles good but noise rating on it isn't good at all) Windnoise is about even. (Virtually none existence)
I probably would have gotten GS4 if there was a good deal around (as deal for G35 wasn't that great... only $500 off MSRP), but good deal was hard to find.
So, set your mind to TL-S or G35 first (as these cars are available all the time) and work on getting a good deal on GS4 for about a month. If you can't find it or getting tired of it, just get either TL-S or G35. You won't be disappointed with either.
Old 04-17-2002, 11:10 AM
Instructor

i had the same problem last dec....'98gs400 or '02 tl-s ...i went w/the '02 tl-s, because its a new car.....why buy used when you can buy new....the gs looks better on the outside,but i like the inside of our tl-s better,mostly because it was new, oppose to the old gs interior w/cracks in the leather & everything else....& i've grown to love the exterior of my tl-s....i'm sure i made the right choice
Old 04-17-2002, 11:10 AM
Instructor

I was in the same boat, how can one not love the GS4...But same dilema, i could of afforded it looking back know considering my car has been paid off for 5months now...But the simple fact of the matter is, one never knows, payments on that car are steep(meaning u should buy a 01') b/c once u go under 2000, ur going to have to trust that the previous driver, who probably beat the hell out of it, and hope the miles are correct, accidents, etc....Nothing better in this world than a brand new car w/ 0miles on it..But lexus does have that 10point or something system...In the end, buy a car that you can *really* afford, not just barely making payments..
Old 04-17-2002, 11:35 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by numbaonexstunna
dont get the gs, they're remodeling it for 2004 and when it comes out, u wont want the old body style any more...also....a gs400 runs 14.5 stock 1/4 mile, every mod u put on there is gonna cost u a grip...if u get a tl-s, mine ran 14.7 with just an intake and i have tons of other mods left that i can put on and im sure that i can beat 14.5 easily
And Acura is planning on keeping the TL body style for ever right?

The GS will hold its value longer than the TL.

If you have the money, get a GS300 and drop a Supra Turbo block on and drop a Turbo and say bye bye to most cars on the road

I wouldnt' get either. I've driven many Japanese cars since I got my drivers license and I feel that they always get ruffled by bumps. I saw the light when I drove my first German car, an A4, and saw what the German owners are talking about, the car absorbs bumps with no fuss and drama.

Reliablity wise, my sister's 96 A4 still runs with no problems.
Old 04-17-2002, 12:51 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by hemants
Another thought:

Do you need a manual? Do you need a big back seat?

If not then you could also consider a 1 year old IS300 in auto. Now that the 6 speed is out the Auto's are available relatively cheap.

Also no offence but if you're borrowing money to buy a car then maybe you should consider something cheaper (unless your future earnings are VERY secure).
Uhh don't most people borrow money from their bank when they buy a car?

I still have not made a decision yet. I really like the TL-S. What about buying a used 2002 TL-S?

Also can someone post a pic of the G35? Isn't that car almost the same thing as a Nissan 350Z? What's the difference?
Old 04-17-2002, 01:39 PM
Drifting

"Uhh don't most people borrow money from their bank when they buy a car? "

Most probably do, but most people also retire without enough funds to take care of themselves. Just a reality check. Different people have different risk appetite so it's up to you to decide.

The G35 is the Z car engine detuned by 20hp so it's not an M3 killer but it will definately eat a 330i for breakfast. It's also larger and lighter than the BMW.

The biggest determinant should be drive train as this makes the biggest difference in how a car handles. FWD, RWD, and AWD all handle differently in different weather conditions. Try one of each and I bet that'll make your decision for you.

eg.

A4 1.8T Quattro/Subaru WRX
Infiniti G35/BMW 330 /Lexus IS or GS
Acura TL Type S/ Nissan Maxima SE/ Infiniti I35t
Old 04-17-2002, 02:00 PM
Instructor

"Uhh don't most people borrow money from their bank when they buy a car? "

Most probably do, but most people also retire without enough funds to take care of themselves. Just a reality check. Different people have different risk appetite so it's up to you to decide.

True, I guess you have a point but that's what my 401k is for. I guess I'm not too concerned about retirement right now since I'm only 26.

I'm starting to get confused now on what I should do. Hold on to my car which has 120,000 miles on it or get something with lower miles or go for the brand new car (TLS/G35).

Right now I'm making 50g's a year right now so I think I would be able to afford about a $30,000 car. Rent is only $700/month and my only other bills are paying off a $6,000 debt.
Old 04-17-2002, 02:06 PM
Instructor

EWWWW :yack: I'm gonna forget that G35. That thing is FUGLY!!! I'll take a TL-S anyday of the week.
Old 04-17-2002, 02:40 PM
O.G.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
EWWWW :yack: I'm gonna forget that G35. That thing is FUGLY!!! I'll take a TL-S anyday of the week.
LOL! I guess you saw the pics.

This is definitely a tough choice. But I would buy a new car over a used car anyday considering if it's in the same price range.
Old 04-17-2002, 04:12 PM
still a Masshole

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bo Jangles,

I was in the same boat as you about two months ago and when I was considering the TLS and GS400. You and I are also similar in that I am only 25 and doing alright for myself financially (at least until I get layed off for always being on this forum!) I opted for a 2003 TLS because I felt I wanted a new car and I have been happy with my decision since! I love the GS4 but I wanted a 2000 with fewer than 30k miles and was having a hard time finding that deal. Not to mention that insurance is higher and so is maintenance (GS4 is more of a luxury car than TLS and thus maintenance costs are a bit higher). Resale, wasn't a major concern as I wanted to keep the car for a long time. Also, a 2000 GS4 has already absorbed the initial hit of depreciation and so I would think it would hold its value better, at least initially (not to mention the fact that both models are receiving a redesign in the next year or two). Reliability, well both cars are known for it and I believe might be 1 and 2 in the industry, even with the tranny issues some people have had on this board. As far as fun, you can mod either car to make it more fun.

As for me, I bought the TLS because I wanted a new car, it was still a little less than the GS, and I figured that I can buy a great car now and am still young enough that in 5-7 years I can move up to a GSXXX, an RS6, an m5, or a AWD 4.X TLS! The next few years should be exciting! Good Luck!

PS - I thought the GS300 would be slow as well until I learned you can drop a couple turbos in that sucker to make it really move (as screamingVQ noted)!
Old 04-17-2002, 04:39 PM
Drifting

Another thought for you.

Do you have kids? Do you need a big back seat?

Everyone eventually needs a large sedan so if you don't currently need one the I'd say go for a 2 door coupe or a smaller car.

Why?

1. more sporty looking
2. a small car almost always handles better and is more fun to drive
3. generally cheaper
4. plenty of time for large 4 door sedans later when you won't have a choice

eg.
WRX
IS300
A4
RSX-S
etc. etc.

Also, make sure you see the G35 in person. There's nothing ewwe about it although taste is a personal thing
Old 04-17-2002, 05:30 PM
Intermediate

Another thought for you.
Also, make sure you see the G35 in person. There's nothing ewwe about it although taste is a personal thing
Comment I was afraid to make since I am an owner of G35 :P BTW, the deal for G35 seems much better now (discouts of $1000-$2000 instead of $0-$500 month ago). Check out carsdirect.com
Old 04-17-2002, 07:00 PM
Instructor

Another thought for you.

Do you have kids? Do you need a big back seat?

No kids.

I pulled up to a G35 today and saw it in person. Still didn't like it and it doesn't really jump out at me. Kinda looks like an Avalon.

If these mystery mods you guys have been talking about are not bull**** then I will definitely get the TL-S.
Old 04-17-2002, 08:20 PM

TLS FWD
GS 400 RWD
TLS V-6
GS 400 V-8
Built in Ohio
Built in Japan
32k loaded
55k loaded
shares platform
dedicated platform
etc, etc, etc

Honestly , besides price the 2 are pretty different beasts. GS will be remodeled in 2005 but who cares, still looks like no other sedan on the planet.

Funny, some of ya'll knocking a new car and between all the threads of squeaks, rattles, this pops out, TRANNIES, HID theft etc etc etc,of a NEW CAR, I'll rest my case.

To me one is a GREAT CAR, one is a GREAT VALUE. (then again a loaded GS is 5-10k cheaper than an E430 or 540, so value is different there).

Have u driven the 2? Hell visit www.clublexus.com for more answers to your questions......
Old 04-17-2002, 08:38 PM
Racer

[BThe G35 is the Z car engine detuned by 20hp so it's not an M3 killer but it will definately eat a 330i for breakfast. It's also larger and lighter than the BMW.
[/B]
ehhhh... have you driven the 330i before? I've driven my cousin's 328i 5-speed, and it was pretty fast. The G35 will probably run neck to neck with the 330i (manual) in my opinion.

Quick Reply: I'm having a major dilemma!! Used Gs400 or 2003 TLS?