I'll keep my '03 TLS for a while

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2003, 03:42 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll keep my '03 TLS for a while

I took an '04 for a test drive last night while getting my 1st oil change on my TLS. It had a few more cool features. The best were the dual zone climate controls, new keyless entry memory functions and the hi/lo HID's. It didn't seem to go faster or handle the curves any better. I'm not all that impressed. I told the salesman I'm still in love with my '03 but thanks for the test drive.
Old 11-06-2003, 07:45 PM
Advanced

I felt the same way after test driving the '04. I only had my '03 TL-S for two weeks when I test drove the '04. I was waiting to have the woodgrain steering wheel installed. The '04 is a great car, but as soon as I got back in my '03 I kept thinking how nice mine was, and it cost me $6K less. What a bargain!
Old 11-07-2003, 12:46 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The one thing that made me keep my 03' TL-S was the space. I felt so cramped in the new TL's. Seems like they're leaning towards the German-style 4-doors :p
Old 11-07-2003, 12:50 AM
Banned

Originally posted by fdefulvio
I felt the same way after test driving the '04. I only had my '03 TL-S for two weeks when I test drove the '04. I was waiting to have the woodgrain steering wheel installed. The '04 is a great car, but as soon as I got back in my '03 I kept thinking how nice mine was, and it cost me $6K less. What a bargain!
Hey how much did they charge you for the wood steering wheel install??
Old 11-07-2003, 02:52 AM
Team Anthracite Member

I drove the 04 last night while scheduling a service for my 03 TL-S, and had similar impressions.

I like the overall look of the car, especially the interior, and I was surprised that the non-nav model is so close to the sticker of the Type S. The stereo in the thing is incredible, sounding as good as my aftermarket one, making my next TL a car that won't be requiring a trip to the shop for an expensive radio instalation.

The ride is much smoother than mine, and the first thing I noticed was how quiet it was at partial and full throttle. This car feels seriously upscale...........as if it was the next gen RL, or a new high end european sedan. Acura is going to sell a lot of these cars.........to put it lightly.

Performancewise, the car didn't feel any quicker than mine. But that could be due to the quietness. The TL-S has a very noticeable change in character once you hit the upper levels of the tach, while this car seemed more linear in its power delivery. I think handling was improved, no doubt due to the smaller size, and the view of the road is as always outstanding. I loved the xenon high beams.........a huge improvement over the 2003's

Overall the 04 is a worthy sucessor of the second generation, and definitely mine in 25 more months.........when my lease is up on this one. By then, I am sure that there will be a few more changes, upgrades, etc.......even a Type S????, and maybe a chance of AWD.
Old 11-07-2003, 09:16 AM
Advanced

NYDesi80 - I got the steering wheel for cost as part of my negotiating. It was around $450 including the installation. They did keep the original wheel, but I think that is typical. It shouldn't cost any more than one hour of shop time to install, and that is being generous. It made a big difference in the look. I have the parchment interior, and the woodgrain on the wheel ties the whole interior together. You can really appreciate it when you look at the interior with the standard wheel.

I also felt the '04 wasn't as open feeling, but it did seem to offer more leg room, and a more comfortable driving position. It has a couple of extra inches around your left foot which helps. I find that I do have to stretch in my '03 to reach the steering wheel. Moving the seat forward is too cramped for my knees. I'm only 6' tall. The telescoping wheel would have been nice to have in the '03.
Old 11-07-2003, 10:14 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i agree with you, i got my oil change and decided to check out the new TLs. They are very nice especially in blk. Inside looks better. When i was checking out a 04 TL interior, the mechanic that drove my car in for the service walked by and said, "you gonna trade in your car huh" i just smiled... then he said "your car is very nice" i keep my TL-s very clean so..

dont get me wrong the new TL is awesome but i'd wait a few years down the road to a get highter performance TL which they did to the 99-01 then upgrade to a more powerful engine, the type-s. 02-03.

ONce i got my TL-s back and drove it home i loved it. i told myself im not gonna trade this car in. im keeping it for a long time maybe forever. I would keep my car and buy a new one later in life...

didnt test drive it though.. just wanted to look... just my experience..