Ignition Switch turn-off Reported to NHTSA

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010 | 11:06 AM
Intermediate

As many have discovered, the Acura recall and repair for the surprise Ignition Switch turn off is not a fix but a postponement. It seems that, although my 99 TL was fixed many years ago, the problem has reoccurred. Now I am concerned that, even with a replacement, the risk of another occurrence remains.

I am not looking for Acura to diagnose and fix this well documented problem as I will follow the DIY and replace the unit faster and at a lower cost then would result from my taking the car to them. I am concerned that others may experience this problem in a situation that could get them hurt or even killed. To address this concern, I, and I would recommend others who have experienced this fault, called and reported this issue to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration at www.NJTSA.gov or 1-800-424-9393.

Thanks
Ray
Old 03-11-2010 | 05:19 PM
Team Owner

like they dont already know~

this problem has been around a decade, with a recall issued and completed
the problem seems to be use of same part to replace the original pos~ good planning

why do you think its so easy to get an aftermarket replacement part!
acura pays once then you are on your own
Dont be surprised when your egr port plugs again either

Last edited by 01tl4tl; 03-11-2010 at 05:22 PM.
Old 03-11-2010 | 06:04 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
like they dont already know~

this problem has been around a decade, with a recall issued and completed
the problem seems to be use of same part to replace the original pos~ good planning

why do you think its so easy to get an aftermarket replacement part!
acura pays once then you are on your own
Dont be surprised when your egr port plugs again either
ive had my car for 2 years and 50,000 miles (i know i drive alot) i have never had an issue with the ignition, but then again i dont have a heavy keychain.

there should be enough vacuum for someone to bring the car to a stop, or coast to the side of the road. if someone cant do that, they have no business being on the road in my opinion. its not like the steering wheel locks up or anything.

i realize that this is an issue, but im not sure we are gonna get anywhere with anyone 10 years after the fact.
Old 03-11-2010 | 06:31 PM
Intermediate

Hi All,

You are absolutely correct in that this is a recognized recall problem that many of us had Acura FIX. In my conversation and research at NHTSA, it turns out that Honda has indicated the problem was resolved ….but it isn’t.

I have ordered a replacement from Acura and intend to install it. However, as many have, and continue to experience, when the unexpected shutdown hits, you just hope the road behind you is clear and without a Gas Tank Truck following close behind.

Remember, if the fix is not a fix and no one complains, Honda is happy for you to take responsibility.

Look at the Toyota fix. The solution Toyota initially proposed was executed on many cars and many with the fix continued to report the problem’s occurrence to the NHTSA. Others may be willing to let Honda skate free on this but not me.

Ray
Old 03-12-2010 | 02:20 AM
Team Owner

smart money buys aftermarket switch back and goes about their business~

A fix is only a band aid on any car- parts wear out, nothing is forever -its a 10+ year old car
Want to know how many other car brands have similar issues?- ask parts place why they have one for nearly every car in stock!

having several keys on the ring is shown to contribute to the switch wearout issue

Toyotas problems are much deeper than anyone has been led to believe, for years internal memos warned of cost cutting and overproduction issues....
Be glad we gen2 have a real cable to the throttle and not some black box thinking for us
Old 03-12-2010 | 10:25 AM
I got the Shifts

i got mine replaced and havent had an issue. it was merely a fault of the part wearing out prematurely.

my original went out at 120k. thats fine with me. i dont see the need to report this to nhtsa.

sounds like overkill.

all this toyota fearmongering is now flowing over to consumers who dont even drive a toyota. no accidents have been reported because of our ignition switches. thats because the car SLOWS down when it happens.
Old 03-12-2010 | 10:49 AM
Senior Moderator

You should report the transmission problem to them as well.

In all seriousness, parts fail. Hell it your logic played out, NHTSA would need to hire an army of analysts to investigate every BMW part failure.