Ignition Switch Recall - They Broke My Car

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2004, 09:45 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ignition Switch Recall - They Broke My Car

My 99 needed an ignitinon switch recall fixed. Took it to Acura dealership, they fixed it after my 3rd visit to them... (not very convenient).

I notice my steering wheel is all screwed up now. They have not completed the job and have given me the car back with huge spaces between my steering wheel parts and all the audio and cruise control bottons are also out of whack! Damn.. do they have blind mechanics????? N E ways, I m very disappointed at the service and I will never take my car there again.. (exept to have them fix the problems).

They have also broken my cup holder lid and it does not close any more! Can you beleive that?????

I will go back to that dealership today and if they dont fix their screw ups, I will post their name online and to ensure we all know the kind of service they provide.

Wish me luck!
Old 08-31-2004, 11:05 AM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
Ha - I have a feeling I might know which dealership you are talking about (but then again, I know people have had issues with many here around the city). I would definitely take the car back to them and have them repair whatever damage they have done. Another dealership won't fix their errors (unless you pay) and will just send you back to the original guy. Make sure you let the service manager know that you have been unhappy with their work. Some places actually do talk to their service techs when work isn't done right to let them know that their work (in that case) has been sub-par.
Old 08-31-2004, 12:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yup ... definately ask for a new steering component assembly.
Old 08-31-2004, 12:23 PM
Instructor

yup had that Recall done on mine... and yes the plastic around the steering column has gaps everywhere... too lazy to go back though
Old 08-31-2004, 11:16 PM
woooo!!

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by mikekhad
My 99 needed an ignitinon switch recall fixed. Took it to Acura dealership, they fixed it after my 3rd visit to them... (not very convenient).

I notice my steering wheel is all screwed up now. They have not completed the job and have given me the car back with huge spaces between my steering wheel parts and all the audio and cruise control bottons are also out of whack! Damn.. do they have blind mechanics????? N E ways, I m very disappointed at the service and I will never take my car there again.. (exept to have them fix the problems).

They have also broken my cup holder lid and it does not close any more! Can you beleive that?????

I will go back to that dealership today and if they dont fix their screw ups, I will post their name online and to ensure we all know the kind of service they provide.

Wish me luck!
damn that sucks...

a bit off topic but im wondering what the ignition switch recall was for? i mean like what was wrong with it anyway? i had mine replaced over 6 months ago and forunately didnt encounter the problems u have.
Old 08-31-2004, 11:44 PM
Resident Troll.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
damm now i want to know which dealership it was... hopefully ive never been there before.....
Old 09-01-2004, 12:43 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by subtledreamer
damn that sucks...

a bit off topic but im wondering what the ignition switch recall was for? i mean like what was wrong with it anyway? i had mine replaced over 6 months ago and forunately didnt encounter the problems u have.
The ignition recall was due to the fact that the old ignition switch had a faulty design which can cause premature failure due to high voltage running thru it. This only effected 99 TL and older CLs. When the switch prematurely fails, it causes the car to not start, hard starts, or the worst case, stall when the car is moving.

After they installed the new ignition switch on my 99 TL, it totally screwed up my multiplex unit. I can no longer program new remotes and the lockout prevention system on my car no longer function. Due to the fact that I can't really prove it's their fault and since my car is no longer under warranty. I was out of luck. Since the multiplex units cost around $79-$100 and there seems to be two boxes just on the passanger side. It's hard for me to diagnose and fix myself. Since that day, my car has locked me out once.........with the keys still in the ignition. I really miss the fact that I can't lock the car when the key is in the ignition without the engine on.

For people that had their ignition replaced. Make sure that you can't lock your door from the inside when you keep the keys in the ignition. Most people don't realized this lockout prevention feature.
Old 09-01-2004, 04:44 PM
woooo!!

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by hzm82
The ignition recall was due to the fact that the old ignition switch had a faulty design which can cause premature failure due to high voltage running thru it. This only effected 99 TL and older CLs. When the switch prematurely fails, it causes the car to not start, hard starts, or the worst case, stall when the car is moving.

After they installed the new ignition switch on my 99 TL, it totally screwed up my multiplex unit. I can no longer program new remotes and the lockout prevention system on my car no longer function. Due to the fact that I can't really prove it's their fault and since my car is no longer under warranty. I was out of luck. Since the multiplex units cost around $79-$100 and there seems to be two boxes just on the passanger side. It's hard for me to diagnose and fix myself. Since that day, my car has locked me out once.........with the keys still in the ignition. I really miss the fact that I can't lock the car when the key is in the ignition without the engine on.

For people that had their ignition replaced. Make sure that you can't lock your door from the inside when you keep the keys in the ignition. Most people don't realized this lockout prevention feature.
wow, damn...
thanks for the info tho, appreciate the explaination.