If you have had rotors turned *twice* under warranty, post here

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2003, 11:25 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow If you have had rotors turned *twice* under warranty, post here

I need to get my rotors turned *again* on my '02 TL-S. The first time was at 14,500 miles and now I have 30,600 miles, so that makes just about every 15,000 miles which is ridiculous for this kind of car. I'm probably more conscious of things that cause rotor warp than the average person, and I am very careful to avoid warp as much as possible. I've owned five cars prior to my TL-S and in a combined total of over 400,000 miles of driving (sometimes quite hard--especially in my earlier days ) I have never had to turn rotors in a car.

I know rotor warp is a problem since I see it posted here quite a bit, but now that I'm going back to the dealer they don't want to turn the rotors a second time under warranty. The claim Acura will only pay for it once. Now I *know* others on this forum have had rotors turned more than once (or even replaced) under warranty, so this is what I am asking:

If you have had your OEM factory rotors warp and had them repaired or replaced under the factory warranty *more than once*, please post the following -

1. Name of dealership that did the work
2. City and state of dealership
3. Year and make of Acura
4. Mileage of vehicle when serviced (if known)
5. Whether your rotors were repaired (turned) or replaced

DO NOT post if you either (a) had to pay to have this service done, or (b) if you only had it done once. I'm only interested in those that have had a recurring problem.

Thanks.
Old 04-15-2003, 08:07 AM
Racer

i had them refinished twice, and then Courtesy Acura - Orlando replaced them... i don't know mileage, 2002 TL-S
Old 04-15-2003, 08:47 AM
Loving my 08 TLS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got my turned twice in Park Ave Acura in NJ. But I don't think they will do it again, since it is a GoodWill. First time was 14k and the second 26k.
Old 04-15-2003, 08:59 AM
AZ O.G NoOldManVetteOwner

Received 204 Likes on 126 Posts
Unfortunately, they will only do it once. My rotors had to be resurfaced and my front pads changed at 5000 miles, again at 20,000, AND again at 35,000!!!
Old 04-15-2003, 09:22 AM
lover and fighter

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
Well, I had mine REPLACED at 19,000 miles because I bi+ched when they said they were only going to turn them. Apparently there is an issue with the pad material being deficient and causing early warping under harder braking. They acknowledged this and were more than ready to put new pads on, but when they said they were only going to turn the rotors or resurface them, my gripe was that they never would have gotten to that point except for the defect, so Acura has now decreased the nromal lifespan of the rotor itself. I requested new ones or something in writing establishing the pro=rat percentage of remaining life as I would expect the same pro-rata discount when I would have to purchase new ones...I bet if you check your old ticket it will show they replaced your pads--the cause of the problems...
Old 04-15-2003, 09:27 AM
Instructor

1. Acura of Mission Viejo California
2. Mission Viejo, California
3. 2002 Acura TL-S
4. Approx. 15000 - 30000
5. First time I think they turned and replaced pads. Second time they turned

I agree that this is BS. Although Honda is known for their poor brakes, I wouldn't expect this from an Acura TL-S.
Old 04-15-2003, 09:50 AM
Instructor

Turned twice, then replaced at 30k miles. On their nickel.
Inconvenient to say the least.
Old 04-15-2003, 09:58 AM
lover and fighter

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
Oops, Orange Park Acura, Jacksonville, Florida...
Old 04-15-2003, 04:04 PM
Instructor

Once at 15K at Pohanka Acura (Chantilly VA) Rotors turned

Again at 26K at Radley Acura (Falls Church VA) Rotors turned, then replaced with new pads.
Old 04-18-2003, 12:37 AM
Banned

Well I got them fixed (replaced actually) again under warranty but it wasn't easy.

My original dealer, Acura of Avon (CT), who, up to this point I've been very happy with, said they wouldn't turn them again under warranty. So I called Schaller Acura (CT) and they said they would cover it. Wednesday I get up early and drive 1 hour to the dealership (closest one to my house, BTW) and when I get there, the service guy is like, "uh, no--that's a normal wear item and we won't cover it. I give him my speech about 14,000 miles the first time and now 16,000 miles later. He says he'll run it by the service manager, who also comes out and says no, they won't cover it.

So I ask for the number for Acura Client Services. The service manager says they don't have it. Yeah, right--what a jackass!! I go into the showroom, open the door on the car on the sales floor and open the glovebox, pull out the manual and get the number out of the back. Now I'm on the cell phone with ACS, and the first rep I get sides with the dealer--wear item, not covered. After pleading my case some more, he says he'll escalate it up to a case manager who will review the case and get back to me. When I ask how long that will take, he says 2 or 3 days. A lot of good that's going to do me--I'm at the dealer now and I'm not driving down here twice for the same problem. Finally, he calls the dealer direct while I'm on hold, speaks with the service manager, and they agree to cover it *just this once* as a good will service under warranty. ACS and the dealer said no way would I ever get it done again under warranty.

I finally pick up the car 4 hours later (luckily they gave me a loaner) and the repair invoice says "Rotors too burnt for turning--replaced." BUT, they only did the fronts. Now granted, the front brakes do most of the work and it does seem like it took care of the problem (the first time, Acura of Avon turned all four rotors). So, I guess I'm satisfied with this but if it happens again I will be going with aftermarket rotors.

Moral of the story: be polite, be firm, know what you want, and escalate to ACS if necessary.
Old 04-18-2003, 04:41 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I was in the exact same predicament you described - but instead of fighting to get them turned or to have them install more crappy Acura rotors, I decided to put in some aftermarket ones.

Heh, heh, I guess I'll save your fightin' tactics for use on another part of my car.

Later,

V.
Old 04-18-2003, 08:22 AM
mvs
Intermediate

Rotors turned and pads replaced under warranty at 18K and again at 30K. At 40K, the warped rotor problem returned.

I just had Brembo replacement rotors and Acura pads installed yesterday. Hopefully this will work out better than the stock rotors.