If stock shocks wear quickly with lowering springs, why do Koni/Tokico last?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2004, 06:55 AM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If stock shocks wear quickly with lowering springs, why do Koni/Tokico last?

If the argument is that stock shocks are always in a compressed state and therefore wear out more quickly with lowering springs, what certainty do we have that, say, Tokico blue's will last?

I spoke to an installer and he said that Tokico blue are basically an OEM replacement meant for stock springs.

Now, with adjustable perches I can see a benefit but I wish shock manufacturers would specify an "ideal height" for springs that the shock is designed for.

You know what I mean?

Can anyone shed any light/theories on this?
Old 01-21-2004, 07:29 AM
Racer

Hermants can't help you with that ques? But I know you had some wide tires and just wanted to confirm because I really want 235-45-17 perilli's nero's. Do you think this is a good idea, I just lowered the car with compteck springs. Thanks
Old 01-21-2004, 08:04 AM
Drifting

It's impossible to say for sure. What I can tell you is that I had Firestone SZ50 on 6.5 inch wheels and that the recommended wheel for that tire was minimum 7.5 inches.

If you want to be sure, search the archives under 235/45/17 and pick a tire that someone has already tried.

Off hand, though, I'm 90% sure you'll have no problem. The Nero's are a Ultra High performance summer and should dissipate heat quite well.
Old 01-21-2004, 08:08 AM
Racer

THANKS! I think I am going to go with that. I have 215-50-17 falcons and am not really happy with them. I think they wore quickly and I have like 3 bubble's in a newer front tire. I still think 225 is a little small and 235 would look much nicer. I am going to try it out and will post about it when I am done. It seems like a lot of people want to do it but do not end up going for it!
Old 01-21-2004, 08:40 AM
Drifting

You should also consider 225/50/17.
Old 01-21-2004, 09:16 AM
Banned

hemants

i am guessing but i think Koni makes 2 shocks. Koni yellow for cars which have springs and are lowered. Koni Red, shocks for cars which are not lowered. I think the reason why koni yellow lasts longer then the stock ones is that its Stiffer. so the harsh ride of the springs will not put alot of pressure on the shock since its stiffer and can resist damage more. this gives less chance of the shock bottoming out.

Do i sound right. thats my GUESS. i completely guessed on my answer so dont go on what i say. thats what i think it might be.
Old 01-22-2004, 12:36 AM
Intermediate

Just recently put some Kumho KH-11s (225/50/17) on Acura accessory 17 x 8 wheels (55 offset). Working good on my 00TL after 65K miles (Comptech springs since first month with stock shocks).
Old 01-22-2004, 01:21 AM
new wheels = old school

the stock shocks were meant to be used with the stock springs, so when you get lowering springs ie comptech/H&R, the shock is already depressed a little bit and it is constantly put under more pressure than a regular spring would give it. thats why they dont last as long whereas koni/tokico come shorter than the stock shocks do so they match up well with lowering springs.
Old 01-22-2004, 06:50 AM
Drifting

"koni/tokico come shorter than the stock shocks do so they match up well with lowering springs"

Is this true??? Are they shorter? The Tokico are branded an OEM replacement.
Old 01-22-2004, 07:15 AM
Honda+Blue=My garage

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts
As for the tire question, I have 235/45/17 on my 02 tls stock rims, not lowered, and they ride about the same in terms of harshness, but the handling gain is unbelievable. They fit the wheel, and well (at stock height, and the speedo setting for me is 99.7% accurate.
I say go for it, you will love the extra almost inch of tire on the ground and how it lets you corner.
Old 01-22-2004, 07:42 AM
Drifting

What brand tire pmptx?
Old 01-22-2004, 03:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by hemants
"koni/tokico come shorter than the stock shocks do so they match up well with lowering springs"

Is this true??? Are they shorter? The Tokico are branded an OEM replacement.
I have the Tokico Blue HP shocks, and I have no complaints whatsoever. To answer your first question (re: will Tokico blues last?), see Tokico's answer to the quality issue:

Q. What is the difference between your Performance non-adjustable shocks and your adjustable Illumina units?
A. In terms of quality there is no difference. The adjustment system in the Illumina allows the owner to change the handling balance or ride quality to suit his/her purposes. The Illumina is excellent for auto cross, drag or other types of racing. It can also be used to compensate for handling imbalances common to certain cars.

Q. Can I use sport lowering springs with my original shocks?
A. Very few original shocks have the damping necessary to properly control sport lowering springs. Even if they work reasonably well when first installed, the higher rate springs will cause the factory shocks to wear much faster.

Q. Will other springs work with TOKICO shocks?
A. TOKICO shock absorbers have quite a wide range of performance. They are designed to work with original springs or with a wide range of performance lowering springs. However if the spring is not designed properly no shock will work correctly. TOKICO shocks will tend to give the best performance and ride quality when used with original or TOKICO springs.

Check here for the actual link:

http://www.tokicogasshocks.com/faq.html
Old 01-26-2004, 12:20 PM
Drifting

Here's what I've pieced together so far:

1. A shock is basically a piston moving through the shock body. The ideal starting position for the piston is in the centre of the shock body. That way it can dampen movement up or down.

2. Koni's and Tokico's are termed OEM replacements which means that they are designed for OEM springs. When you put them on lowering springs, you are moving the piston's starting position to off centre BUT, because they are more heavy duty, they can properly dampen the aftermarket springs over a shorter distance whereas the OEM shocks are still wanting to travel almost the whole distance of the shock body (less resistance, more elastic you get what I mean).

3. In the particular case of Koni/Neuspeed they piston centre position has been deliberately moved by 25mm (or so) to make the starting position in the centre of the shock body with a 25mm lowering spring. As to whether this will make a difference to the driver will depend on the size of the bump I guess. What it may allow you to do is dial the shock to a more soft level than you would with regular Koni's or Tokico's and still avoid bottoming out. (ie. the piston has more room to move on a down swing).

4. The stiffer you make a shock, the less bounce you will have and by default, even Tokico blue are stiffer than stock so they should bounce less. All these aftermarket shocks will also last longer because their design allows them to better withstand being compressed.
Old 01-26-2004, 09:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

thx, hemants.
excellent post.
Old 01-26-2004, 09:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

and patrick..