If Loving my TL is Wrong, I Don't Want to Be Right

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 12:04 PM
Registered Charity

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If Loving my TL is Wrong, I Don't Want to Be Right

I owned a Jeep Wrangler Sahara for 9 years, and decided it was time for a car. I used a car broker to sell the Jeep, and then we began searching for my next vehicle. He recommended the Acura 3.2 TL, and he purchased one for me through an auction at the end of September 2006 (a month ago). The first time I ever got behind the wheel of an Acura was actually AFTER I bought it. I met him at his office/dealership and he had bought a 2003 TL S Type w/nav -- it had 95,000 miles on it, and I swear it looked like it had 24,000. It was in immaculate condition.

The previous owner must have driven it long commuting miles and kept it in a garage in both locations. Service records were available through a local dealership where it was serviced, and (you know this was coming) the trans had been replaced in 8/05 (via recall). Based on his mileage and the in-service date of the vehicle (the service diary was in the glove compartment with only one entry: vehicle inspection by the dealer's service department the day it was sold!) the trans had about 20,000 miles on it.

I had to take it in to the dealer to have a trouble code checked that came up when my mechanic ran a diagnostic on the engine, but the "check engine" light didn't appear n the dash, and the dealer told me it was probably an old code, pre-recall. All it needed upon the inspection my mechanic did was a change in the brake fluid, and the removal of a screw in one of the tires.

I am in love with the car.

As you know, if you're reading this as a member of this forum, the TL does what it's supposed to do extremely well. The handling is outstanding. The comfort level is excellent (although I still haven't found the seat perfect position).

I liked my Jeep, and I enjoyed being able to go anywhere, but "anywhere" was usually to and from work (4 mile commute) and the roughest thing it ever got me through was two feet of snow a few winters ago.

The '03 Acura 3.2 TL Type S seems to do everything well. I've taken it on long drives, and I don't get out of the car feeling wiped out. I feel good.

I'm still adjusting to not being able to clearly see the front or back of the car, and I've found myself getting out in mid-park to see how far I am from other cars, trees, light poles and dumpsters.

But I'm loving it.

With only a 4-mile commute, I actually look forward to getting into the car in the morning and driving it home at night. It's sweet.

For those of you who've owned yours longer than a month, how long does the love last?

And do you find people getting tired of you talking about your car? I've started talking to the car, instead.

Should I be scared? Or is this normal?
Old 10-30-2006, 12:14 PM
291hp & 245 tq @ 3.5psi

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It's perfectly normal! Most of us over here are still crazy in love with our car, infact we just have great meet last Sunday. I drive 40 miles commute each way to work everyday (80+ miles total) and still don't want to get out of the car at the end of the day! Still loving every minute of it while behind the wheels for the last 3 years and I'm sure few more years to come until I upgrade/change to another Acura.
Old 10-30-2006, 12:19 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
goodluck with the car, i've got a 2003 non -S, im jealous... 95000 miles is alot for a 2003 , thats about 25000 miles a year, definitely alot of highway driving... hope you got a good deal, you're definitely about to run outta that warranty for the car... enjoy!
Old 10-30-2006, 12:44 PM
Registered Charity

Originally Posted by LacViet
It's perfectly normal! Most of us over here are still crazy in love with our car, infact we just have great meet last Sunday. I drive 40 miles commute each way to work everyday (80+ miles total) and still don't want to get out of the car at the end of the day! Still loving every minute of it while behind the wheels for the last 3 years and I'm sure few more years to come until I upgrade/change to another Acura.
That's good to know! What I'm finding is that I'm more apt to go out now and do things because it's inifinitely better driving the Acura than the Jeep. I guess the Jeep would have been a great "third" car!
Old 10-30-2006, 12:47 PM
Registered Charity

Originally Posted by vidhartha
goodluck with the car, i've got a 2003 non -S, im jealous... 95000 miles is alot for a 2003 , thats about 25000 miles a year, definitely alot of highway driving... hope you got a good deal, you're definitely about to run outta that warranty for the car... enjoy!
You're right, vidhartha ... the car was in service in March of 02 (an 03 model year) so I think I figured there was about 21K per year (to the month I bought it). The extended trans warranty has about 3K left. The only things I need to check with a dealer about (and I AIN'T going back to Ardmore Acura) are (a) the seat warmer doesn't work on the driver's side and (b) the rearview mirror dimmer isn't dimming, so it probably needs to be replaced (I've read about both these issues elsewhere on the Forum).

I'm not much of a DIYer, although I was more apt to do that with the Jeep because it was relatively easy even for a novice like me to take things apart and put them back together. Anyway, back to the road!
Old 10-30-2006, 01:15 PM
Kilos of yayo in

I have had my 02 TL-S for 2 years now and yeah I am still loving it. I agree with everything you said. Including the parking thing. I went from a 96 ranger to this and yeah I had a little trouble with the parking at first but now its easier to park then the truck was. I will give you one tip. Seafoam the engine! It helped mine out alot and there is a thread on here with details on how to do it.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:20 PM
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
BrotherDavid, I'm sorta like you, in that I used to drive an SUV and am back to driving a car. The difference in handling and power from my LX450 to the TL-S is night and day. Just like you, I mostly drive to and from work, but now that I've jumped from 12-13mpg to 22-23, I find myself driving more, because it's so much more fun!
Old 10-30-2006, 01:22 PM
Racer

I have an 03 TL-S w/Nav with 95K that I bought 2 years ago this November. I still love the car as much today as when I bought it. I am meticulous about keeping it clean, do all the services, and take great pride in getting behind the wheel. It always brings me satisfaction to drive it or just to look at it. They are beautiful automobiles and a very classy design both inside and out. Also, a TL-S w/Nav is not a car you see everyday. Glad to hear that you enjoy yours as much as I do mine...
Old 10-30-2006, 02:23 PM
Instructor

story to butt in here, but have you guys checked out the new Lexus LS? It parks for you!!!!

Not that I can afford one, but all this talk about parking made me think of it.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:05 PM
Without a garage

I bought mine about a month and a half ago and I still love this thing. It's been mentioned before on these boards, but these cars do love the open highway! I just got back from an overnight trip to Frisco and it was very enjoyable. I think I'll be more motivated to make these kind of trips. It was a whole lot more comfortable than my lowered Accord!

The only thing I don't like is the mileage I'm getting. Let me know what kind of mileage you get both in town and freeway.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:13 PM
Registered Charity

Originally Posted by Billy Sacco
I have had my 02 TL-S for 2 years now and yeah I am still loving it. I agree with everything you said. Including the parking thing. I went from a 96 ranger to this and yeah I had a little trouble with the parking at first but now its easier to park then the truck was. I will give you one tip. Seafoam the engine! It helped mine out alot and there is a thread on here with details on how to do it.
Thanks for the seafoaming idea. I did check out the thread(s) on that. I have to admit it made me a little nervous, but what is life, without adventure? Besides, I'm not sure I've seen a downside, although I'm going to check outside the Forum, too. Sounds like people have had good experiences here with it.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:15 PM
Registered Charity

Originally Posted by bonknhead
Just like you, I mostly drive to and from work, but now that I've jumped from 12-13mpg to 22-23, I find myself driving more, because it's so much more fun!
I was getting 13-15 in "The Green Monster" (98 Jeep Sahara) and I'm gassing up less in the Acura. I'm getting 22-24 now, and I'm testing it with a few tanks of Premium to see what the difference is, if any. I've seen mixed posts on the Forum about using Premium gas ... at least it's coming down enough where I live to make it a possibility!
Old 10-30-2006, 03:21 PM
I'm Down Right Fierce!

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
When I bought the TL-S back 3 years ago, I loved it. And to be honest, I love the way that it looks. The exterior is damn sexy with the OEM kit.

Then a year and a half ago, I got a Subaru STI... and man.. I fell in love with 300hp AWD. Was sad to see her go... but I honestly didn't need to have 2 vehicles and needed the cash for an emergency surgery. I had to give up either the STI or the TL-S and I decided to keep the TL-S.

Was it a good choice? Yeah, definitely. I love the Sti, but it wasn't really a good every day car. The TL-s is a nice mix of luxury and sporty... but not really one or the other.

I think you'll be like many of us here. You'll always have a special place in your heart for the 2nd gen TL.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:46 PM
Racer

Talking

Originally Posted by BrotherDavid
I was getting 13-15 in "The Green Monster" (98 Jeep Sahara) and I'm gassing up less in the Acura. I'm getting 22-24 now, and I'm testing it with a few tanks of Premium to see what the difference is, if any. I've seen mixed posts on the Forum about using Premium gas ... at least it's coming down enough where I live to make it a possibility!

My gas mileage may suck (I have a TL-P and get 18-19 on a normal tank just because of how I drive), but I couldn't care less. I'm just as in love in with my car today as I was the first day I bought it. Every drive is an adventure and late at night, when the streets are empty, I find some winding roads and go on a relaxing drive, pushing the car to its limits, which are extremely high. Just make sure you stay our of trouble, because it'll cost you (I have 2 cases pending right now from incidents that happened the first month I bought the car). Now you're ready for your upgrades...

Speaking of which... I'm off to put in my intake... enjoy!
Old 10-30-2006, 04:46 PM
Without a garage

Is that all city/hwy, or a mix?
Old 10-30-2006, 05:13 PM
Registered Charity

Originally Posted by laidback93
Is that all city/hwy, or a mix?
It's a mix. My girlfriend lives about half an hour away on the highway and I drive to her place once a week. I also travel for business about once a week, also highway driving and about 45 minutes each way. My daily commute is only 4 miles each way. Unfortunately for me, there have been speedtraps galore lately, so I'm waiting for a trip to North Jersey in two weeks to let it out. It's amazing on curves, though!
Old 10-30-2006, 05:47 PM
Without a garage

On my overnight trip to San Fran, I got about 190 miles on a half tank. That seems OK to me. Around town I average 17MPG and that stop and go all the way to work which is about 6 miles one way on city streets.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:12 PM
Registered Charity

Originally Posted by BraveDemon
Then a year and a half ago, I got a Subaru STI... and man.. I fell in love with 300hp AWD. Was sad to see her go... but I honestly didn't need to have 2 vehicles and needed the cash for an emergency surgery. I had to give up either the STI or the TL-S and I decided to keep the TL-S.

Was it a good choice? Yeah, definitely. I love the Sti, but it wasn't really a good every day car. The TL-s is a nice mix of luxury and sporty... but not really one or the other.

I think you'll be like many of us here. You'll always have a special place in your heart for the 2nd gen TL.
I think you're right on about the mix between luxury and sporty (and I hope the surgery went okay, by the way!) ... it kicks a** when I need it to, but I still feel like I'm driving a luxury car. I also like the way it's styled, much better than the 07s, which look like souped-up Hyundai Accents to me, but this is just one guy talkin'.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:15 PM
04 Black Infiniti I35

Seafoaming your engine for what exactly ?
Old 10-30-2006, 07:19 PM
Registered Charity

Originally Posted by dug-mac
I have an 03 TL-S w/Nav with 95K that I bought 2 years ago this November. I still love the car as much today as when I bought it. I am meticulous about keeping it clean, do all the services, and take great pride in getting behind the wheel. It always brings me satisfaction to drive it or just to look at it.
I've also enjoyed taking care of the cars I've owned, and this one seems very easy to keep clean. Maybe it's because the prior owner took very good care of it, but I feel the same way -- I want to keep it in the best shape I can. I don't know what they do over at Acura, but when I get into it, I feel good.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:25 PM
Without a garage

I think you're right on about the mix between luxury and sporty (and I hope the surgery went okay, by the way!) ... it kicks a** when I need it to, but I still feel like I'm driving a luxury car. I also like the way it's styled, much better than the 07s, which look like souped-up Hyundai Accents to me, but this is just one guy talkin'.
Souped up Hyundai Accent! That line had me rolling!

Watch out if the guys on the 3rd gen board read that!

Personally, I like the 3rd gens, but the 2nd gen is the best looking TL IMO. Still, I might end up with one right before the extended warranty runs out on my tranny.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:58 PM
Registered Charity

Souped up Hyundai Accent! That line had me rolling!

Watch out if the guys on the 3rd gen board read that!

Personally, I like the 3rd gens, but the 2nd gen is the best looking TL IMO. Still, I might end up with one right before the extended warranty runs out on my tranny.
Just to clarify, I'm comparing the 2007 Acura TL Type S with the 2007 Hyundai Accent GLS 4-Door. Lest I be misunderstood! You slap some TL badging on that bad boy, and you've got one BAD RIDE!
Old 10-30-2006, 09:01 PM
Registered Charity

On my overnight trip to San Fran, I got about 190 miles on a half tank. That seems OK to me. Around town I average 17MPG and that stop and go all the way to work which is about 6 miles one way on city streets.
The tank holds about 17 gallons? So you were getting 22-23 MPG highway. That is decent. I don't think I'm getting any better than that when I'm driving about half and half (hw and city).

I wonder what people get going up and down those hills in San Fran ...
Old 10-31-2006, 12:28 AM
Banned

I have a '99, and I must say, there's definitely some love if a guy likes me puts 60,000+ miles on the car within a year of ownership. The love for the car can only last as long as the tranny. The minute my tranny died, I wanted to take a hammer and knock up the car... but after another's put in, the love's back again. lol On top of that, any new mod always brings about more devotion to the car than before.
Old 10-31-2006, 07:05 AM
WNC Real Estate Sales99TL

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I bought my 99TL Heather Mist Navi back in Sept. of 2005 with about 39,000 miles on it for $11,000 from an individual. It was built in Nov. of 1998. After 13 months of ownership and 27,000 miles later here is what I've experienced:

1. Bought new Tires cause the Michelins were finally worn out at 55,000 miles.
2. Replaced the rear brake light bulb. $3.00
3. Changed Oil and Trans. fluid
4. Adjusted the drivers seat belt mechanism to take care of the raddling noise.
Everything on my nearly 8 yr old car works great with several exceptions:

1. Rotors that were replaced by Acrua at 30,000 are starting to warp. Not bad enough to do anything about it right now but I know replacement time is coming. Car now has 65,000 on it.
2. Wiper arms under the hood need to be replaced since the wipers are starting to hit the edge of the window. Common problem since the plastic clips on the end of the rods wear out. $70-80 Self fix it job.
3, Everyone that gets in this car comments on how nice it is and how great it rides/handles.
4.The Yoko Avid tires aren't as smooth as the Michelins but handle about 10 times as well as the Michelins on corners on the mountain roads around Asheville, NC.
5. Car still looks like new/seats are still in perfect condition=no wear at all. The car was in MINT condition when I bought it and still runs and looks great.

So here I am with a car that will be 8 yr's old in Nov. of 2006 with little or no problems, especially if you compare it to any other make or model.

At this point, I COULDN'T BE HAPPIER!

OH= and 24 miles per gallon average mixed city/highway driving and 30/31 on the highway on trips.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:33 AM
Registered Charity

Originally Posted by Luke7
I bought my 99TL Heather Mist Navi back in Sept. of 2005 with about 39,000 miles on it for $11,000 from an individual. It was built in Nov. of 1998. After 13 months of ownership and 27,000 miles later here is what I've experienced:

At this point, I COULDN'T BE HAPPIER!
Nice post, and reinforces what I heard from a buddy of mine whose TL is 6 years old. He loves it, too, and has no plans to get a different ride. The leather in his car looks amazing -- in a Mercedes, it would be cracked already. Even the engine in mine looks new after 95K ... that engine compartment must seal extremelywell because not much is getting in there!
Old 10-31-2006, 04:52 PM
B A N N E D

i feel you, i dont want to be right either
Old 11-02-2006, 10:59 AM
3rd Gear

Good to know you are mostly happy. I am looking at buying a 2003 TL-S with 60K miles. I have been worried because of the tranny. After some research, I found it was replace 1,000 miles ago.

Do you all have any recomendations before I buy it?

Thanks
Old 11-02-2006, 02:15 PM
Registered Charity

Originally Posted by typer586
Good to know you are mostly happy. I am looking at buying a 2003 TL-S with 60K miles. I have been worried because of the tranny. After some research, I found it was replace 1,000 miles ago.

Do you all have any recomendations before I buy it?

Thanks
My recommendations are to check the CarFax report (which will only tell you what was reported) and there was another recall on mine for a tensioner (related to the timing belt). So you want to check and make sure that recall applies to that car and was done if it does. Also, if it was serviced at a dealership, see if they'll talk with you about the car ... can't hurt to try.

Also, you might want to check the "in service" date on that car ... the mileage isn't excessive at all and might be even lower than you think!

I LOVE MY 2003 TL-S. And I don't care who knows it.
Old 11-02-2006, 04:13 PM
13.2@ 107 on Street tires

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I love my car to death! I went from an 04 Nissan Titan crew cab 4x4 to the TL and I love the money i save with a honda's gas mileage.
Old 11-03-2006, 12:09 PM
Burning Brakes

i too enjoy my car very much to this day (bought new in 2002, a 2k2 nbp tl-s). Replaced 2 transmissions, got the neighbor's roof wrapped around it during a hurricane, have faded pillars, a dump truck ate the front end, gone through four tire changes, paint has been an issue from day one, rotors are the worst, seatbelt won't retrackt, wipers thunk on the rebound, and still enjoy every minute of driving pleasure I get out of it. In fact, I discovered that it drifts pretty good for a front wheel drive car and is quite a blast to drive in the rain at triple digit speeds. How much do I like the TL-S? Well I've had the option to get several cars lately, in fact even the one I thought I always wanted, an S2K (or a motorcycle for that matter), yet can't see myself giving up the power, and the coddling that the TL-S offers me with no car payments... I think you'll like yours too for quite some while. Now if I win the lottery, I can easily love other cars too...
Old 11-05-2006, 11:07 AM
Registered Charity

Originally Posted by stiletto
i too enjoy my car very much to this day (bought new in 2002, a 2k2 nbp tl-s). Replaced 2 transmissions, got the neighbor's roof wrapped around it during a hurricane, have faded pillars, a dump truck ate the front end, gone through four tire changes, paint has been an issue from day one, rotors are the worst, seatbelt won't retrackt, wipers thunk on the rebound, and still enjoy every minute of driving pleasure I get out of it. In fact, I discovered that it drifts pretty good for a front wheel drive car and is quite a blast to drive in the rain at triple digit speeds. How much do I like the TL-S? Well I've had the option to get several cars lately, in fact even the one I thought I always wanted, an S2K (or a motorcycle for that matter), yet can't see myself giving up the power, and the coddling that the TL-S offers me with no car payments... I think you'll like yours too for quite some while. Now if I win the lottery, I can easily love other cars too...
Aweome post! Reading it was like driving around curves! I really believe after reading the Forum for a while that the TL (and especially the TL-S that you and I have) gives so much that we're more forgiving when things aren't perfect.

Also, the Forum itself has helped me revise my expectations, and solve some problems that I've had with it. Every car has problems ... I care less about them in the TL-S.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:00 AM
O.G.

My 99 TL will be exactly 8 years old next month and it still looks immaculate. I actually love it a lot more now than when I first bought it because of all the mods I put into it.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:49 PM
3rd Gear

I bought it! I now love my very own TL Type S. I can't believe I traded an Acura ITR for a Nissan truck. Live and learn and go back to Acura.