I ripped my headliner!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2002, 09:58 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I ripped my headliner!

I was trying to fit a small table into the back seat (Why I didn't just put it in the trunk, I don't know!) and I finally got it to fit. I was so concerned about the leather, that I didn't even think that I would rip the headliner! Well, today I was driving to work and turned back to look out the rear window, and I noticed 3 or 4 small tears in the headliner...the biggest one is maybe a quarter inch or less. They are on the passenger side towards the back. What makes them noticeable is that under the headliner it is black, and I have the tan interior, so the black really stands out. I am contemplating whether I should have it fixed by an auto upholstery shop, fix it myself, or just try and forget about it. I saw online that you can buy a kit with the fabric, glue, etc.....How hard is it to get the headliner out of the car? I am pretty handy, but I wouldn't wanna make the situation any worse! Let me know what you guys think....thanks!
Old 01-04-2002, 10:30 AM
Drifting

pictures would make it easier for us to give you advice
Old 01-04-2002, 10:39 AM
Instructor

Unfortunately, I don't have a digicam!
Old 01-04-2002, 10:44 AM
Ex TL-S owner

Re: I ripped my headliner!

Originally posted by swhtech
I was trying to fit a small table into the back seat (Why I didn't just put it in the trunk, I don't know!) and I finally got it to fit. I was so concerned about the leather, that I didn't even think that I would rip the headliner! Well, today I was driving to work and turned back to look out the rear window, and I noticed 3 or 4 small tears in the headliner...the biggest one is maybe a quarter inch or less. They are on the passenger side towards the back. What makes them noticeable is that under the headliner it is black, and I have the tan interior, so the black really stands out. I am contemplating whether I should have it fixed by an auto upholstery shop, fix it myself, or just try and forget about it. I saw online that you can buy a kit with the fabric, glue, etc.....How hard is it to get the headliner out of the car? I am pretty handy, but I wouldn't wanna make the situation any worse! Let me know what you guys think....thanks!
I know how you feel!!! I once ripped the leather in my TLS when it was one month old. I've tried using those kit to fix leather and it was not that easy to use. I felt I was messing it up even more. I then went to a upholstery shop and they were going to charge a lot and they said that they wouldnt be able to make a perfect match. But I think that's your only way to go.
Old 01-04-2002, 08:46 PM
Pro

Have a couple of professional car upholstery shop give you a quote on it.